• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really interesting AAR; I don't play many nations in this part of the world, so I'm eager to see how you continue. Nice job holding off Le Blob; I hope your luck holds!

Just rebuild those treaties, France is pacified.

Usually, AI nations in this case will not leave me alone, but we'll see

O man you really are winning against the BBB!

I hope they dont attempt a real attack :3

Meh. You should've seized those colonies and Omanize them :D
Are the coastal ones full-fledged cities yet?

I dont really need more colonies, I think I ate more than I can digest, I actually need to get rid of some of my colonies
The only colony that isnt a city yet is Ogaden

I'm impressed. I expected their armies to have been by a large margin superior to yours. Anyway, congratz! But won't they come again? You better be prepared.

The situation is a bit tricky now, I cant get a large army due to the limit, and I cant raise a good navy yet, I need to get 2 more naval levels

Really interesting AAR; I don't play many nations in this part of the world, so I'm eager to see how you continue. Nice job holding off Le Blob; I hope your luck holds!

Chapter 50: 1637-1642

On the 12th of July 1637, the sultan recieved a letter from the governor of portuguese Sofala, The cancelled the military access treaty with Oman was cancelled as well as other minor trading treaties with Oman on the orders of the king of Portugal, the sultan became worried that Portugal might be planning to become more active in the area and ordered to send some spies to check the portuguese army in Sofala.

eu31d.jpg

The sultan at this time was planning a couple of reforms aimed at centeralizing the power in his hands, this wasnt met well by the warlords and nobles though.

eu32n.jpg

A royal marriage was made with the Mamelukes sultanate to strenghen ties between the two countries.

eu33.jpg

The sultan made a second visit to Bahrain to check if the imams he sent were successful in their mission, when he arrived at his small tower in Manama he noticed that the people were using arabic moreo ften than the last time he visited the area and the city which had around 1800 residents included 10 mosques, the population was on a quick rise mainly due to the trade between Omani Africa and Basra, some traders preferred to rest in Bahrain's ports because the tolls and fees were cheaper there than in Qatar, this brought Bahrain considerable wealth and also connected it with the rest of Oman through trading; The sultan loved Bahrains calm beaches and rather unique culture, he wrote a valuable book about what he saw in Bahrain on his way back to Muscat and he kept it in his palace there.

eu34b.jpg

In this calm period, the sultan tried to organize his plans, what he wanted to do now is to strengthen the economy so he can field a larger army that can keep enemies away for the meantime until the new ship builds are ready to replace the old and weak ones that are no longer fit for the 17th century.

This period of peace appeared like it will last for a long time, but France had her plans.

On 31 December 1640 Louis celebrated Christ's birthday with a declaration of war on heathenic Oman, this time it was the whole of France against Oman and its allies which meant that French Africa will be better defended against the omani army.

eu35.jpg

The french began the war by invading the colony of New Dhofar, the 2nd omani army was deployed nearby to block the french from advancing until the 1st omani army arrives.
The sultan was surprised by the french declaration of war, he wasnt expecting any new wars until his navy is modernized, the navy he possessed wouldnt stand much against big french navies.

eu36w.jpg

On 31 Jauly 1641 the omani navy encountered a small austrian squadron, after a small battle between them the austrians escaped without having delt or recieved much damage.

eu37.jpg

In Ocotber, omani armies under Ya'rub Abbas encountered the french in their camp, a small battle occured as the rugged mountain terrain did not allow for a big battle, the french were unprepared for defending so regrouping and organizing the troops took a long time that was enough for the omanis to break into the camp, the french unorganized lines quickly broke and in the chaos most of them managed to flee the battle, 1 week after that defeat the french re-deployed inside a small fort along the Karoo but before they could prepare the defenses, omanis broke inside and after a short battle the french surrendered, leading to the destruction of their whole colonial army.

eu38.jpg

eu39.jpg

A regiement of 1,000 omani cavalrymen was created to capture french villages and settler in the inner territories along the Karoo, meanwhile the main omani army continued to lay seige and capture the main french coastal fortresses.
The omani navy was seiging the Cape colony's port while the army captures the city but before they could capture it the french navy appeared from the fog and attacked the small omani navy, it was quickly surrounded and crushed, the main omani navy arrived too late to aid it and was also defeated but it managed to escape to the port, the cape colony was succesfully captured however.

eu310x.jpg

eu311j.jpg

eu312.jpg

So Oman's winning. Great! How severely can you // are you going to punish France?

They do not accept peace, I will have to invade their mainland if I want a good peace (and that is not possible)

Good job ;)
Don't you think about changing NI's? :>

Probably, but not now

Take the colonies and make them arabic!

I'll let Haasa do that :p Im sick of colonies they are useless currently (I need a new navy and those oclonies are slowing me down badly)

Chapter 51: 1643-1645

The sultan visited the mainly Sunni Mahra region, he stayed at the fort in the city of Mahra and in the next few days of his stay he watched the population closely, it seemed that Shi'ism has become widely practiced, at least in the city, he learned from the metayers coming from neighbouring villages that the neighbouring towns and villages also have a considerable shi'ite population, this was great news for the sultan, as the people of Mahra did not revolt or show much resistance to shi'ism.

eu313z.jpg

By July, all of French Africa was held by Oman and Haasa, France continued to land considerably large forces on the shore however, eventhough the omanis pushed them back, they couldnt keep on fighting the seemingly endless hordes of the french and had to retreat inlands, the sultan thought it was the time for peace now.

eu314.jpg

eu315.jpg

At the same time, the Swahilis thought that Oman wouldb e crushed in the war so they began a well-planned rebellion that gave them independence from Oman under their own sunni sultanate, the swahilis did not enjoy their independence for long because almost immediately after the sultanate declared its independence, the omani army was occupying neighbouring villages, the sultanate was very quickly occupied by omani forces who forced the sunni sultan to convert to shi'ism and pay the sultanate of Oman yearly, ironically, the income from taxing this new sultanate actually gave Oman more profit than those lands gave when they were under direct omani rule.

eu316.jpg

eu317.jpg

In September 1645, The Mameluke hordes crossed the Ethiopian border hoping to regain their former glory just a few years after a civil war that left the Nile's banks devastated, the sultanates of Syria, Yemen and Algiers rushed to the Mamelukes aid against a coalition of the Ottoman, Omani and Ethiopian sultanates, the war was not lookin good for the Mamelukes since they were now against the mighty and prestigious Ottomans on one side, and the modernized Omani army on the other side, but the Mamelukes also got Syria and Yemen on their side, and both are a thorn to the Ottomans and Oman respectively, how will this conflict end? We will see in the next chapter.

eu318b.jpg

Note: Im going to Jordan tomorrow with my family, and we are staying there for 10-15 days, probably more, I wont be able to update this AAR from there, so Im sorry to say that you shouldnt stay tuned :eek:o

Wait what? Haasalese Africa?
What did I miss?

From that screenshot I bet you can turn a colony into a city right away! Come one, get the French out of the cape!

Wait what? Haasalese Africa?
What did I miss?

From that screenshot I bet you can turn a colony into a city right away! Come one, get the French out of the cape!

I forgot to take some screenshots, Haasa took some underdeveloped french colonies and made it theirs

I dont think taking new colonies will be helpful at all, I want to get rid of my colonies because they are quite unprofitable, thats why I let Swahili survive as my vassal

How did it happen with Swahili? Is there a chance you'll get at least a province from the French?
Hope you enjoyed your stay/holiday.

They wont even accept white peace

Im still in Jordan if anyone is interested, I will be going back to UAE this week and then I will start updating this again

I "completed" my Oman game some 3 weeks ago but had some different goals
1) Of course I concentrated on trade in Asia but to do great in Europe as well I had to take all Trade NI-s and hire compete advisor as well.
2) I took African Gold mines only temporarly and sold them later back to Swahili to avoid Europeans - English and Portuguese messed in India, French in Africa so I was no juicy target.
3) I expanded into Arabia peninsula (great coffee provinces) and around Hormuz - some really tough wars with Ottos though followed - Persia is really a must ally for Oman from day 1 being only Shiite power.
4) Only later when I dominated world trade (around 1650) I started to incite revolts in India when either Portugal or England were at war somewhere else and even managed to sink English navy later on.