• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 42: 1618-1619

To increase the trade revenue a trade station was opened in Qatar for trades coming from India to Basra

eu311.jpg

However that didnt help Oman's crumbling trade because of the war with Ming and Ayutthaya whch led to omani merchants being expelled, Oman tried to end the war as quick as possible but peace was rejected for unkown reasons, Ayutthaya continued its pointless attempts at landing in mainland Oman and was defeated each time

eu312.jpg

eu313.jpg

After a series of Thai invasions came a Majapahit invasion, eventhough their assaults were repulsed, fake news saying that Muscat was captured were quickly spread all over Oman which led to big unrest that forced the sultan to halt modernization

eu314.jpg

eu315.jpg

Finally, Ming dynasty and its allies accepted peace with Oman after a short and pointless war, the sultan and the court became even more willing to cancel the pointless alliance with Baluchistan

eu316p.jpg

After the war ended, Oman began to practice its influence over Ethiopia as a part of a plan by Sayf II to raise Oman into a power in the east and make it compete with the powers around it to generate will for modernization within Oman

eu317.jpg

Chapter 43: 1620-1622

In the first of Febeuary 1620 Persia declared war on Baluchistan, Sayf II was willing to join at first to grab Hormuz, but then he learned that Ming and Ayutthaya had joined on Persia's side wihch puts the omani navy and colonies at big risk so he declined to join the war, Baluchistan's reaction was cancelling the alliance and calling Oman a "coward" to tarnish its prestige

eu318z.jpg

Baluchistan was overran quickly, Persia had a powerful economy enabling it to raise massive armies, this Baluchistani defeat highlighted Persia's emerging power status in the persian region, the collapse of the Mameluks and weakening of the Jalayrids had given Persia a breathing chance to deal with the 3 persian kingdoms on the east who were fighting for dominance over Persia for a century, this new powerful Persia could cause future troubles for Oman but its unlikely that Persia would attack Oman in the meantime

eu319j.jpg

The trade station in Qatar was exceptionally successful leading to a rise in the local economy with many new markets opened and a big increase in the number of trading goods giving the sultan a big economic aid

eu320.jpg

This surplus in the economy allowed Sayf II to continue his favourite hobby of seizing new lands in africa, he created a new colony at Transkei and negotiated with France on the new borders between the two nations, the border with France gave Oman another european country to seek new technology from as the portuguese became more and more hostile to Oman making them reluctant to help Oman in its modernization

eu321.jpg

Sayf felt that this was the right tme to strike Swahili, the Swahili sultanate was weakening over time and the portuguese seemed to be trying to gain a casus belli against Swahili so they can annex it to stop Oman from getting more land and power, Sayf was aware of these portuguese plans and the only thing that stopped him was the Mameluk threats of attack, now that they're gone, Oman can now annex Swahili and show Yemen who's the true boss in south arabia

eu322.jpg

Finally not some folly but a war that is in Omani interest! I don't know which fron shuold be more important the African one (Swahili and Adal) or the Arabian one (Yemen). Is there a decision to form Arabia?

Well I think the arabian one is more important cause thats where my capital is and because Yemen is guaranteed by many nations, but we'll see what happens
There isnt a decision to form Arabia and thats why im not going to try to hold Arabia in this game

Chapter 44: 1622

Swahili was aided by a couple of african nations and Yemen, mosto f these nations could provide no aid at all in the war, Oman delpoyed three forces to fight the enemy alliance: A 7 000 men-strong army led by Abu al Hasan at the northern Swahili border, another 7 000 men-strong army led by Sultan Musa at the yemeni border, and 3 regiements of cavalry at the Ethiopian border ready to help them against Adal

eu323.jpg

Oman captured Mombasa, Tanga, and Bagamoyo in a very short time, the strategy was to rush the Swahili army before it could be well organized for the war, however the Swahilis moved to attack Zanzibar thinking that the omanis would land their force there, unofrtunately for the swahilis they realised that the omani army was attacking from the north too late and while they were preparing to return to Bagamoyo they were attacked by the omanis in the back and their army was almost fully destroyed, this sealed the outcome of the war in Swahili lands in Oman's favour

eu324a.jpg

Meanwhile, Sultan Musa started laying seige to Mahra's main fortress when he was intercepted by a yemeni army, the yemeni plan was to attack the omani infantry head on with theirs to distract them from the very skilled yemeni horsemen who will charge Sultan's cavalry, the strategy was good but the non-existent organization in the yemeni infantry ensured that their good marksmen skills will not be useful against the well-organized omani infantry, and eventhough Yemen was renowned for its great cavalry skills it lacked dragoons and depended solely on light cavalry who were equipped with swords, leading to a big yemeni defeat that would quickly lead to a shortage of manpower

eu325.jpg

Back in Swahili lands, the swahili army was circled and destroyed in Bagamoyo, the Swahili sultanate had nothing left

eu326.jpg

To ensure that no cunning noble or peasant will exploit this chance to create a rebellion, Sayf II made a number of reforms regarding religion and created a wage for imams, he also made a speech to the public in Muscat about the glory of Oman and how it serves Islam

eu327i.jpg

The Swahili sultan was brought to Muscat where he was supposed to bow infront of Sayf II, but he stopped him and said "You must not bow to anyone but God" and gave him an estate in Nizwa, he also proclaimed himself the defender of islam in east africa and claimed that he wont let europeans gain more land there, and will put an end to their supremacy over Africa

eu328t.jpg

Great writing, looking forward to Oman in the mid-1600's.
/subscribed

Wait, I forgot. Does Divine Supremacy give you Cleansing of Heresy CB?
If it does maybe he's getting it to take some sunni lands. I'd like to see Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem under Oman.

Looking good :) But did you just become an empire?

No, this is what happened:

Sayf introduced Divine Supremacy as a new national idea.

Great writing, looking forward to Oman in the mid-1600's.
/subscribed

Thanks for reading :)

Now there's Yemen to be trimmed. How much are you going to take? Divine Supremacy? Why? Planning to attack some infidels?

I dont want much from Yemen but I want to spank them for going to war against me :) I took divine supermacy so I can get a casus belli against indian nations and to get some imams to convert my Sunni and Hindu provinces

Wait, I forgot. Does Divine Supremacy give you Cleansing of Heresy CB?
If it does maybe he's getting it to take some sunni lands. I'd like to see Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem under Oman.

Yes it does, but I dont plan on attacking my muslim neighbours

Chapter 45: 1622-1623

Portugal sent Oman a diplomatic insult and stopped trading new technologies and european goods with Oman after realising that Oman was fighting portuguese influence, Sayf responded by making a trade deal with France in which it agreed to trade technologies and european goods with Oman, and to also protect Oman in case of a portuguese aggression, France was hoping to bring Oman into its own sphere of influence to counter portuguese and castillan expansion

eu31s.jpg

Mahra's fort captured by omani forces, who now started marching back to Dhofar to stop the yemeni seige

eu32z.jpg

The yemeni army was now between the fort and the omani army, the yemenis were very fierce warriors however so they refused to surrender and kept fighting until they could drill a path through the omani army, the yemeni army narrowly escaped through a valley but the omani army was behind them, after a long march the yemenis turned back and tried to fight the omanis but they were extremly exhausted and most of them surrendered just for a drop of water, the yemeni soldiers were kept captives and were held for ransom, which Yemen would be forced to pay if it was defeated in this war

eu33j.jpg

eu34s.jpg

Meanwhile in Africa, Noble omani cavalry used hit and run tactics to force the somalis to lift the seige, the omani losses were big because of the bad terrain which led to many horse casualties as well as spear traps that somalis laid in the way

eu35i.jpg

The somali forces were chased by the omani nobles until they were in the wilderness south of ifat, known as ogaden, the territory was ruled by several tribes who were hostile to Adal and would see this as a chance to crush their army, both Adal and Yemen sued for peace now

eu37s.jpg

Yemen could not pay the ransom, therefore Mahra was ceded to Oman in wexchange for the yemeni soldiers and peace

eu38x.jpg

Adal was forced to cede Harer to Ethiopia and to pay 75 ducats to Oman, in exchange for that payment the omani noble cavalry would be sent to ogaden to aid the same somali army it was fighting to fight against the tribesmen of Ogaden

eu39.jpg

eu310.jpg

eu311k.jpg

Due to the lack of resources, the settlers in New Dhofar traded Grain as their main source of income, eventhough its not as useful as gold but Oman lacked fertile lands and depended on food from its colonies

eu313i.jpg

Huh, irritating isn't is? I mean getting infamy points for a province given to your ally in peace terms.
Well done anyway, but won't the high infamy stop you from pursuing aggressive policy?

Yes, its annoying, but Im not planning to start any wars soon anyway
World map, please. I'd like to see how long the Omani coast is.

I will post that in chapter 48 alongside statistics
Can Oman out of third world nation?

Third world in 1600s?

Chapter 46: 1624-1629

On 27th of September a Khorasani diplomat came offering an alliance between the two nations against the common enemy Persia, Sayf accepted the offer but did not promise much

eu314.jpg

The nobility did not like not being the center of attention and demanded recompensation for their contribution to Oman's growing empire, Sayf II dismissed them and forced all noblemen to build him a nice palace in Zanzibar

eu315.jpg

Even with omani aid Adal was defeated in Ogaden and lost control, Oman took advantage of this and built a settlement in Ogaden as well as creating a viceroyalty there with the Sultan of Swahili as the first viceroy

eu316.jpg

After the last war Yemen was extremly weakend and made no challenge to Oman, Sayf II began to interfere in its internal affairs and omani merchants increased in Yemen, bringing it under omani influence

eu317.jpg

Sayf II did not like the nobility and continued to cut their privileges, this time he freed many serfs and banned serfdom in Nizwa

eu318x.jpg

Swahili nobles responded to that by inciting a rebellion in Tanga with aid from portuguese military advisers who taught their soldiers to use advanced cavalry tactics, this small rebellio was easy to crush but it caused more serious rebellions, each with a different background

eu319.jpg

eu320.jpg

eu322.jpg

The sultan's last order was a declaration of war on Mutapa because a tribe from their lands attacked Quelimane and Oman demanded reparations, the reality was that the sultan's treasury was running out of money and he held alot of under-developed regions that need alot of spending before becoming useful

eu323.jpg

Shorty after that the sultan died in the mid-night, the next morning he was buried in the royal graveyard in Muscat, he wasnt mourned by many because he was seen as an opportunistic despot who favoured the peasants so they wouldn't revolt, his son Abu al-Hasan Nabhan succeeded him and put his brother Sultan Nabhan as the successor, the new sultan was uninterested in military aspects and hated wars, but he was interested in administration and diplomacy, he also wanted to end the modernization and force the society to accept his policies and laws

eu324.jpg

Just read through the whole thing. Nice job ;).
And it seems none of your next rulers will want to go to war.