Sword of the Stars II - Developer Diary #1 - Re-Inventing the Future

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The strategic game in SotS was great: the level of detail was just right and the 3D CAD feel of the map was both unusual and intuitive. The tactical game, on the other hand, leaved lots of room for improvement (I usually auto-resolved most battles from mid-game on).

I'm guessing it's a bit late for major changes but I've got one smallish bell/whistle on my wish list: the ability so select colours, and perhaps patterns, for your ships. Not just signature colour but all of them. For instance I quite liked the brutally utilitarian look of the Sol Force vessels but always though that they'd look better in a paint job like an F-22A or Swedish naval vessel. The new models and texture effects look great - but even more "disco".

Screens that we've released so far at very much pre-Alpha, and the "disco" effect is us peacocking - showing off that the ships have a lot more detail and lighting than previously - but as we move towards release you'll get to see more and more shots and I think you'll be happy to find that will be dialed down somewhat. We'll also talk more about colours, player options, etc. as we get closer to release, so you'll get to see a lot more of how you get to make ships "yours".

Great! I'm looking forward to both sneak peeks and the eventual release.

The first game was probably the best 4X game in recent years... actually, it is far superior to most of its competition, but I believe there is always room for improvement, and the ideas for the sequel are just great. Different government types would allow for different game strategies, hopefully we will be allowed not only to choose a government type from the start and to see it change based on our actions, but also to see other factions of our race of choice to react to our diplomatic approaches based on the similarities between our ideologies (with some of our colonies maybe choosing to declare independence if we change too much along the way).
And I loved the idea of admirals playing a role in the battle outcome and even of fleets having a history to set their characteristics... it is a great idea and very rare in a space strategy game. That is one of the things I hoped would be implemented in the game... I am glad it will be a feature of SOTS2.
I am anxious to see the new interface and to have a feeling of how the solar systems will be displayed, and the new feature of provinces and star systems - will there be any stellar phenomena? I am also curious to see how diplomacy will work with the new options and detailed treaties... and how fleet management will be dealt with - will we be able to upgrade our ships from time to time? That wouldn't be bad... at least within certain parameters, like the same ship class or only the basic armament and only in some shipyards.

I have to admit: this is one game that I am anxious to see released!

The first game was probably the best 4X game in recent years... actually, it is far superior to most of its competition, but I believe there is always room for improvement, and the ideas for the sequel are just great. Different government types would allow for different game strategies, hopefully we will be allowed not only to choose a government type from the start and to see it change based on our actions, but also to see other factions of our race of choice to react to our diplomatic approaches based on the similarities between our ideologies (with some of our colonies maybe choosing to declare independence if we change too much along the way).
And I loved the idea of admirals playing a role in the battle outcome and even of fleets having a history to set their characteristics... it is a great idea and very rare in a space strategy game. That is one of the things I hoped would be implemented in the game... I am glad it will be a feature of SOTS2.
I am anxious to see the new interface and to have a feeling of how the solar systems will be displayed, and the new feature of provinces and star systems - will there be any stellar phenomena? I am also curious to see how diplomacy will work with the new options and detailed treaties... and how fleet management will be dealt with - will we be able to upgrade our ships from time to time? That wouldn't be bad... at least within certain parameters, like the same ship class or only the basic armament and only in some shipyards.

I have to admit: this is one game that I am anxious to see released!

I'm glad you and everyone else posting here is as excited as we are about the sequel - my first reaction is to answer all gameplay / feature questions, but then I remember that a lot of your questions will be the focus of upcoming dev diaries! I'll have to be careful not to give everything away too early!

I will say that fairly soon we'll be going over ships and fleets, so we'll go into more detail about personalizing them, maintaining them, managing them, and how much they've changed from the simple three-sections-one-ship design of the first game. So, stay tuned for that!

How often can we look forward to dev diaries?

Turning off the Tech Tree in the average game is not something we've considered - the randomized tech tree does two very important things in the game; it eliminates the otherwise impossible to avoid Perfect Path To Game Dominance seen in other games with a static tree. And it removes racial tech weighting, which is part (not all, but a not inconsiderable part) of keeping the aliens races from being carbon copies of one another.

There are ways, like a specific scenario, that a player can try that kind of game (with the predictable "under these circumstances, particular races are unbalanced good/bad"), but it's something we have to be very careful about allowing in the core of the game. Hopefully that makes sense - I'm reading the boards on the run today!

If I might, I'll try to keep this concise. Though I can understand the desire to have random tech trees and, to a degree, I actually like said random tech trees, the system could certainly stand to have some tweaks.

As some examples. I found that, when playing a game, I would usually determine what type of weapon I wanted to use. For instance, mass drivers, energy (in general), projectors, missiles, some combination of these. Then I'd look at a research chart detailing percentages. If I wanted to go mass drivers, I almost exclusively went human/hiver/tarka. If I went Energy, I'd go morrigi or liir, without exception. In an effort to create randomness, the tree actually just heavily promoted me going specific races instead. This is okay from a stylistic standpoint, but I'd much rather not be forced into being a morrigi because I want to use beam weapons.

In addition to this, some techs just have to be guarantees in my opinion. For instance, economy and colonization techs should be guaranteed. If you're in a game where you happen to get arcology, that's a huge benefit to you. But, if you're in a game where your enemy got it and you didn't, you could very easily get economically overpowered through no fault of your own. Not because of inferior weapons, but because you just can't outproduce some of these techs.

Not getting Biome, as well, could cause massive issues with the mid-game where you're trying to expand and beat out the AI, as it really slows the entire game down. These are examples of techs that shouldn't be random. As an idea, it might be interesting to see race play a factor in how colonization and economy goes, instead of having unknown numbers that just dictate growth rates, the game could instead promote, for instance, the Morrigi trade-based economy, while humans might have a weird capitalistic economy with fluctuations, with hivers just being communal in nature...you get the idea.

In addition to this, it might be worth considering tech tree specializations. As I said earlier, I often played my game to where I made my choice based off of what weapons my race got. This is, again, not a good design of random, as you're guiding and promoting optimal choice based off of what is most likely, not what is most interesting.

It might be worth considering, then, to add some sort of specialization feature to the race, where you can, for instance, guarantee a large chunk, if not all of, the Mass Driver line of weapons (within reason). This could have the tradeoff of reduced chances to research plasma cannons or phasers or the like. Doesn't have to be a net gain, and it would help promote random over simply always specializing, but I digress. It still would allow for random in that, if you don't want to use AP, for instance, you'd still need to win a roll for fire control or AI fire control, but it would mean your late-game isn't completely devastated because your chosen path didn't have tungsten ammo.

I like everything you've covered so far, and I'd get SotS2 regardless, I just loved the original too much despite its flaws. It would just be nice to see a few of the kinks ironed out. The research tree being where some of the largest are.

I like everything you've covered so far, and I'd get SotS2 regardless, I just loved the original too much despite its flaws. It would just be nice to see a few of the kinks ironed out. The research tree being where some of the largest are.

A lot of what makes SotS unique and highly replayable after all this time comes down to the randomization of the game - we have to be very careful about anything that moves the game away from specific and unique alien species and back towards races = same thing, different names, stat sliders. All the technologies that are critical to playing the game, technologies whose absence makes the game impossible to play, they are guaranteed, but everything else is up for grabs and can make games a little to a lot tougher to play, but not impossible, given all the options available. I can understand that this difference from the status quo of strat games is seen as odd, something that with tweaking will be just fine, but it's not as simple as that. These things are also SotS' strengths as a game, and tweaking them casually weakens the game.

Rest assured, these things aren't derived carelessly, or (shrug) "Good enough." - Martin, the Lead Designer puts hours into manually balancing through lots of actual gameplay. And even once released, he keeps at it, as long time players will remember from our updates, which often have little adjustments to help maintain that tricky balance.

There will specifically be future dairies talking about technologies, so we can go over it more then.

How often can we look forward to dev diaries?

About as regular as you've all become familiar with, from other Paradox game, dev diaries. Specifically, that's something we work out with PR, but I think it's safe to expect several between now and release of the game next year.

I thought the random tech tree was fine. Missing a tech you were hoping for just meant you had to improvise - if I missed Biome colonisers I'd hit the racial techs until I could persuade them to surrender; let the AI do the work for you.

My only gripe was the AI. Or rather the AI rebellions. Just when you're game was going well you suddenly find out that those foolish Hivers had a rebel AI which now controls half the galaxy.

To add to the tech tree discussion, instead of an option to turn off randomization, how about just an option to assure that all techs will be available, using randomized paths, to everyone? That way, for those who really hate the idea of not having every tech they're still guaranteed them by the end-game, but just how to get to them in a given play-through remains unclear. Of course, the standard randomizer would remain the default setting. :)

Been a big fan of the first one and very much looking forward to number two. I know it is a slippery slope to answer this (what with any answer construed by some as a promise), but approximately how often were you planning on doing developer diaries? Around once a month? Once a week? Roughly when should I plan to look back here for information?

I am especially looking forward on what has been done on the Empire/Planet Management level.

Me too... planet management was one of the week points in SOTS... I don't think we really need a *colony view* like in MOO2... it is usually very limited and does not offer any real game play value. But the idea is sound... we should have a way to see at a glance the state of development of the planets... in terms of industry, population or the ecological balance. Stars! Supernova promised that, but sadly that game was never released. It could be a different planet view (not unlike the one we get in SOTS when we use the zoom feature) in which we could see actual change to the planet based on our actions - like urbanization or, in the case of conquered worlds, the gradual change from one race style to another (if you decide to exterminate the conquered population). Such a view could also be used to plot planetary invasion - if this is even being considered, which I would like very much (it is more interesting than just bombing the planets to submission).

As for the tech tree discussion... I don't mind the randomization, as Archonsod, I believe it adds en element of necessary improvisation that is very welcome IMO... that's one of the reasons I don't actually hate the fact that I couldn't get all the techs from my allies. In many games research is boring because you can always get whatever you want from the other players. Now, I wouldn't mind being able to transfer a bit of technology though joint projects... but I think it should be limited to avoid turning off the edge from researching.

Castewar, I admit while my sister has gotten SotS and loves it, I've had one MAJOR problem with it, only really one... the Random Tech Tree, I want to turn it off, I hate it with a passion. It's the one thing that's keeping me from buying my own copy. Now, I am Not asking it be removed in SotS II...

I kinda understand your feelings... I have a similar hate&love relationship with that game (and I bought the whole pack!). Though it's not the tech tree that annoys me (I rather love that, even though it really **** up the game sometimes, lol), for me it's more the AI. If you want to play the game on EASY... nothing's happening, the most boring game ever, if you play it on MEDIUM AI... I pretty much get overrun by several AIs the same time. For my taste (not being a beginner nor a pro) that would need some adjusting. I would in fact have to "cheat" in the beginning to give me a better startup, but even that doesn't help, just makes the fact of being overrun even worse.

So my request: a finetuning of the AI for the ones that are too good for the EASY mode (seriously, that AI is just waiting for you to get overrun after they said hello) and too bad for the MEDIUM mode (they say hello with an army of 40 ships while I just try to get 10 together). ;)

I also wish to place my own particular brand on this new and exciting sequel. Best wishes on your new endeavor. I'll be looking forward to it.

Heya

...planet management was one of the week points in SOTS... I don't think we really need a *colony view* like in MOO2... it is usually very limited and does not offer any real game play value. But the idea is sound... we should have a way to see at a glance the state of development of the planets... in terms of industry, population or the ecological balance...It could be a different planet view (not unlike the one we get in SOTS when we use the zoom feature) in which we could see actual change to the planet based on our actions - like urbanization or, in the case of conquered worlds, the gradual change from one race style to another...
In SotS-Prime, you can see the Colony alter as you terraform it to your preferred HR, it changes to various textures from just colonisable through to Paradise in both Strategic and Tactical.
Similarly in the Colony Listing under the Empire Screen.

I recall some differences in tactical also with the numbers of cities lighting up as the planet revolved depending on how far along the development curve the colony was.

and the multitude of weapons and defences which encourage devising tactical counters WITHOUT resorting to the same old Rock/Paper/Scissors mechanics seen in so many 4X and RTS games.

Is it possible to know more about what should be understood by this sentence?

For better comprehension, I understand Rock/Paper/ Scissors mechanics as situations the player has to bring a unit B on the field to counter a unit A, giving a near total chance that B destroys A.

As this will be not the path taken, what would it be?

-middly effective units against all others? Units have their target of choice to perform fully against, but they are not that at a disadvantage when facing other types of units, buying time to produce the needed counter.

-units performance can be determined by the way they are used, unit A can overcome unit B if used in a certain way, even though B starts with a definitive advantage.

-units can evolve/acquire attributes to perform against other types of units on the field, giving less importance to the starting forces.

Etc...
Is it possible to know more about that?

Stumbled upon SotS by accident, loved it even though I very much dislike turn-based games - only other times this happened were with the Civ series games. Looking forward to hearing more about the sequel and best of luck to the team!

Heya

In SotS-Prime, you can see the Colony alter as you terraform it to your preferred HR, it changes to various textures from just colonisable through to Paradise in both Strategic and Tactical.
Similarly in the Colony Listing under the Empire Screen.

That's not what I meant, silvaril... the changes in SOTS weren't all that interesting. Usually, the texture for the planets after developing were always the same and the result is that all developed planets look almost identical. Since there are no facilities you can build in the planets (the developing was done through sliders) you basically can't tell the difference between them. The same thing happened with the differences between races... yes, it exists: a Liir colony doesn't look like a Hiver one, but after you conquer a few of them you have to keep looking at the numbers just to see which one had any chance to repair that fleet which had just lost its repair ship in the last battle.

I loved the feature that allowed for orbiting structures to be built and seen in the galactic map... this way at least I could have a visual clue to hang on to while moving the 3d map around. But I think planets should be recognisable entities, with some elements that would make them easier to relate to and to remember as your empire grows. In MOO you had little icons in the planet view (missile defense, factories, etc), but if the idea of building facilities in the colony smells of micromanagement, then it could be done by adding some unique planetary structures that could be similar to the orbital stations in SOTS.

Actually, I believe that's the same kind of reasoning that oriented the developers to have this idea of fleets evolving through time, having a history of sorts - and it is the same reason why it is a good idea to be able to name your ships (at least the capital ones) so that you can get attached to them as the game progress if they survive many encounters.

Perhaps I was too harsh in saying planet management was is a weak point... it's just a matter of not being fully developed, what I hope it will be in the sequel. And maybe that's the whole point in having full solar systems and provinces that, if I understood correctly, will be made of several colonies linked together - we will see in the next diaries how this will work in SOTS2.

Heya

and the multitude of weapons and defences which encourage devising tactical counters WITHOUT resorting to the same old Rock/Paper/Scissors mechanics seen in so many 4X and RTS games.
Is it possible to know more about what should be understood by this sentence?
In the first game, weapons fire is tracked from source to destruction.

Counters to each weapon are weapon specific, with multiple means to counter some weapons, rather than a Unit specific thing.

Some weapons and counters require dedicated ship sections, others are turret based such that so long as you have a turret of the appropriate size, you can fit those weapons into your ship design.

Similarly, some have secondary effects.
The starting weapon, Gauss Cannon, can be countered by Armour which deflects it preventing damage.
However, it is a kinetic weapon, so even if the damage is countered, the impact can still knock a Destroyer around and ruin its day.
( particularly useful to prevent large beam weapons from staying on target )

The more destructive weapons from the Ballistics family can be stopped by the first counter in the Shields family, despite the technological requirements of the later Ballistics weapons.
The early energy weapons tend to be very good at reducing enemy Population without damaging the Infrastructure or the Environment.
Later weapons get better damage, but have corollary side effects as a result.

So while you can design ships to take advantage of the enemy not having researched particular technologies yet, and design ships to counter what weapons and armour are currently being used, there is not a set of specific "this unit to beat that unit" RPS components.
Even the starting weapons will eventually kill your opponent in the end game, it'll just take longer...

Last edited: