• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm tempted to try a WC instead, autosaving monthly and quitting out if I get the stab-hit event. Unfortunately, I have no record of success at these - how do you wall the other Euros from colonization (especially now that all the Italian minors and the Dutch get in the game) and should you even try that, or just start by Holy Warring the whole Islamic world?

It's way better to stay a medium in DW with how SoIs and magistrates work. Also, you need to be summarised 25 techs behind to westernize (so 5 behind in each for example). This means you need to make a push in the 1400s to secure more land (Teuton lands, Crimea, Silesia, Pommerania...), core it by 1500 and at the same time keep moving Centralisation and Free Trade. Patron will deal with Innovative and in mid 1500s you can westernize and start trading for real. Soon cash will be flowing at an insane rate, especially if you ensure global presence to have best CoTs in range.

I've played a couple of games like that in HttT and it's not that hard really. At least not after you get a bunch of vassals to wall yourelf from danger. Egalite is one thing, another is to stop minting entirely for most of the game.

Going to try that method - I'm not yet convinced it's the best, but I also *really* don't want another OPM game, as that's just boring. Should I integrate Lithuania as well (and if so, hold the provinces or release Ukraine/Smolensk/Polotsk) or is it not worth it?

I'd take them all to boost research. Even if they suck on their own and don't pay for themselves (a province should earn at least 15 to pay for itself when you are 10 years ahead in tech), they can have those wonderful buildings boosting trade income and efficiency. Take the number from having a monopoly in all big CoTs, add to it 10% from 10 crappy provinces and they suddenly earn for themselves.

I don't know the math behind tech in EU3 well enough to make exact calculations but I'd try to have a shot at this with 30-40 provinces with trade buildings and crapload of vassals. All conquered early while I need to lag behind in tech to westernize.

As i said, the TE effieciency boost is frigging good.

As England i had 200 or more as i said in a post before, and i was making 2000 gold every month without bothering much with economy.

I westernized by 1500 but lets see if i can still make it.

Bigger country -> bigger and more stable SoI -> more magistrates -> more trade buildings -> more trade eff. and income bonuses.

20 cored provinces with maxed trade = +20% trade eff. and income. If you want to reach tech 72 with a country which doesn't start in the Netherlands, I doubt there's another way, even with Egalite, Liberte, Fraternite.

Move to the netherlands and culture shift? Use the anti teuton missions to get cores on the coast, take out loans, wack holland, sell everything to a vassal mazovia? Alternatively do the same to lombard, that's probably better in the long run... :)

1550 and 20% of my income is made of vassal income. :p

I'm tempted to try a WC instead, autosaving monthly and quitting out if I get the stab-hit event. Unfortunately, I have no record of success at these - how do you wall the other Euros from colonization (especially now that all the Italian minors and the Dutch get in the game) and should you even try that, or just start by Holy Warring the whole Islamic world?

If you go too high over the BB limit, you'll get stabhit events several times in a year. You'd go insane if you would always save/reload. The MTTH for the event is extremely low.

You should start by killing the other colonizers. Easy country is France. Guarantee Granada on day one and ask for MA from Aragon. Then you can immediately ruin Castille's chances of colonization.

I really need to get rid of my 6-ADM Cherokee ruler to modernise military and government. What's the best way to kill him off? I've tried to make him fight rebels and lose, but he just stubbornly stays alive.
E: Never mind, he just died and got replaced by an 8-ADM ruler. Wohoo!

Last edited:
Do you know if the game differentiates between real battles and insta-kills of demoralised armies for the "Seriously?" achievement? Because I insta-killed 12k troops but did not get that achievement.

Yeah, they don't even engage when 10:1. But don't worry, this is an easy one. Just go to India or somewhere else where you lead in tech substantially, find the biggest meanest army and fight it.

I think when going Poland I will also go republican. There's +10% trade eff. for Admin. Republic. There's another +10% for being Reformed.

Going Reformed early won't be hard in an Innovative country. Insult the Pope to -100, hire a Priest, convert to Reformed and become DoF. It should flip entire country in less than 10 years without a single missionary - that's how -5 Innovative works.

Since we're talking hyperteching here, finding out all the possible ways to boost trade eff. is a requirement. Decisions and whatnot.

If there are people who've done it, it can't be impossible. ;-)

If you go too high over the BB limit, you'll get stabhit events several times in a year. You'd go insane if you would always save/reload. The MTTH for the event is extremely low.

You should start by killing the other colonizers. Easy country is France. Guarantee Granada on day one and ask for MA from Aragon. Then you can immediately ruin Castille's chances of colonization.
Imo it is better to go for vassalising scotland + conquering ireland + occupy paris asap and once that's done you should be able to change to empire.

Then a quick holy war on both granda and morocco -> fabricate claims on castille (PU). (Might have to beat the crap out of castille once or twice 1st)

Vassalise brittany and portugal (though you'll prob have to take 3 provinces for 4 infamy each from portugal but that is worth it in the long run) and fabricate claims on aragon for a PU when you get the chance... and after that it's holy war and colonizing for a loooong time :p

But you don't need to colonize everything in the WC achievement, you only need to conquer all other countries... Which means Protestant + Deus Vult and plowing through German mediums as fast as BB lets you to dismantle it, let it blob and then retake for 1 BB a piece until you run out of religious CBs. They can't colonize if they don't exist. :)

Also, I still think it's easier to do as France than as England. But maybe I'm wrong here.

Still I'm not doing it until they fix Embassy.

I know you don't need to colonize everything but you'll still want to colonize all coast / islands to block everyone else from colonizing. It's currently 1506 in my WC game and each stab level is 22k so taking 5 for protestantism is nothing I'd look forward to.

And once you've occupied paris you'll get more cores than france have and you can own all of england + ireland + northern france by 1403-1404 (with scotland as a vassal to be diploannexed and that is with a sizeable fleet allready built. granted if you plan on crushing hre then you might be somewhat better of as france.

And keep in mind that holy war only lasts untill 1650 witch would not be a problem in one of the earlier httt patches where you did not need to mind your infamy... (Back then I'd even agree with you)

Edit: Another big thing with going protestant is that you won't get ANY infamy reduction from cardinals (currently I'm steady at 6-8 cardinals)

Last edited: