+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Discovery Mod for Divine Wind v5.0 (North American hordes)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Age of Discovery Mod for Divine Wind v5.0 (North American hordes)

[CENTER]

AGE OF DISCOVERY

(Mod link removed since MegaUpload was shut down by the US government)

After spending the last several months plotting it out (then finding out much of my plotting was inapplicable because someone at Paradox apparently accidentally hit the off switch on convenient map modding), here is the first version of the planned No Very Few Empty Provinces mod: Age of Discovery.

My vision with this mod, which I hope to find the time to fulfil, is a mod that focus on what was withotu a shadow of a doubt the most important part of the Europa Universalis era (no, not the framing of the cousin of the third wife of the second son of the stablehand of the steward to the favorite count of the uncle of the Holy Roman Emperor): the reality-defining shock that was Christian Europe's encounter with the Rest of the World, and the Rest of the World's encounter with Christian Europe.

The first and foremost part of doing this will, of course, be developing the Rest of the World, starting with the part the European most heavily interacted with (and in) during the EU era: the Americas (starting with the North because information is easier to come by there).

Even later, however, changes to Europe should remain fairly limited (there are none for now), focused mostly on making use of new Divine Wind features that Europe doesn't yet use (such as factions), on introducing broad changes for the rest of the world that also affect Europe, or introducing change to Europe to affect how they interact with the Rest of the World.

Version History:

Version 0.04
    Code:
    -Added 15 new South American nations:
    Quito, Muisca, Chachapoyas, Huanca, Chanca, Aymara, Atacama, Calchaqui, Mapuche, Tehuelche, Guarani, Tupi, Arawak, Wichi
    -Corrected the History files for most North- and Meso-American natives so they start with long-reigning generic (ie, soon to die) "councils" instead of the many incarnations of Bear Paw.
    -Corrected the country files for the North American natives to provide actual culturally more-or-less relevant names for most of them.
    -Corrected a good deal of provincial history.
    -Added some Native diplomatic history.
    Version 0.03
    Code:
    -Fixed four unexplored provinces (Manhattan, South Carolina, Mobile, Badlands)
    -Fixed localization for 871 Pomo (was briefly a duplicate of Tulare)
    -Fixed localization for Alaska and Quebec Wastelands (to Yukon and Laurentian Shield) to allow for the names to be used on playable provinces.
    -Changed localization of other badlands provinces.
    -Decisions and events that targeted the new_world techgroup now look for mesoamerican as an alternative. 
    -Decisions for steppe hordes now target Native Tribes as well. 
    -Shamanism and Animism are no longer annexable
    -Abenaki are now Abenaki culture, not Iroquois
    -Fixed the localization of Mikmaq culture. 
    -Added fifth option to Meteor event: you can now carve a picture of it (over your 2013 calendar). Effect: -1 stability*

*And a supersecret global flag that cause mass panic once the game reaches 2012.** ***
    **The end date is still 1821.
    Version 0.02
    Code:
    -Fixed most of the unexplored provinces issue with the New_world tech group
    -New flag for Tepanec
    -Fixed flag for Tlaxcala
    -Added new localization of the North American provinces.
    -Fixed localization of Native Tribe leader.
    Version 0.01 (Initial run)
    Code:
    -Added 31 North American Tribes (with clones of the Iroquois history file):
    	Abenaki
    	Apache
    	Assiniboine
    	Chichimeca
    	Chickasaw
    	Chinook
    	Choctaw
    	Comanche
    	Cree
    	Fox
    	Haida
    	Illinois
    	Inuit
    	Lenape
    	Mahican
    	Miami
    	Mikmaq
     	Montagnais
    	Mosquito
    	Navajo
    	Ojibwa
    	Osage
    	Ottawa
    	Pawnee
    	Pima
    	Potawatomi
    	Powhatan
    	Pueblo
    	Salish
    	Sioux
    	Yavapai
    -Added 11 Mesoamerican City-States (With clones of the Aztec/Maya history files)
    	Campeche
    	Chetumal
    	Colima
    	Itza
    	Kaqchikel
    	Kiche
    	Michoacan
    	Mixtec
    	Tepanec
    	Tlapanec
    	Tlaxcala	
    -Split the New World techgroup between New World and Mesoamerican
    -Rearranged the North American and Central American culture to have far more cultures split in several groups. 
    -Added fort level 1 to most of Meso-America.
    Last edited by Guillaume HJ; 20-01-2012 at 00:51.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

SCREENSHOTS

Southern tribes and states:

(Orange pink in Mexico = Michoacan; dark green = Aztec, pale green = Tepanec, blue = Tlaxcala; brown = Zapotec, yellow = Chetumal, Flesh = Kaqchikel)
    (Yes, I know some of them are out of position. Blame my inability to mod the map)

Northeastern:

(Orange-pink is Mohican. See what I said above about being out of place)
    Last edited by Guillaume HJ; 19-12-2010 at 08:24.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Wow, thats really cool. Is it possible to use it in another mod?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

Did you made NA nations hordes? Or simply "colonizable" nations?
    InExtenso - Distance is your enemy.
    DW is too slow? Get the Faster Graphics Pack.
    Hate the wavy fog? Go back to the old one.
    Don't hate me because I'm French. Hate me because I can mod anything in this game

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

This is a great mod. Did notice two things though:

1. The Native Council government has the Nomad function set to yes. It shouldn't (at least I thought you didn't want the Indians to be at war with the colonizers all the time, just colonizable).
    2. There's a redundant folder called 'Nouveau dossier' in the gfx folder.

2. Oooops. Forgot to delete that.

1. For now it's a copy of the hordes. Why? Because the alternative is letting everyone (as opposed to just the AI taking advantage of bugs) conquer the natives via peace, which is not something I want.

Eventually I think I'll try and figure out an option where the tribes' form of government depend on which option they take when they encounter westerners (and WHICH westerners they encounter).

Abominus: I honestly don't know. I suspect that for now it would certainly be doable if someone wanted to, but the more stuff I'll add, the more stuff that will need changed.

And of course, the whole set of history files still need worked on (though my partner in crime from the De Orbe Novo days, Birdboy, is supposed to work on that a bit) so we don't have 30 Bear Paws ruling North America in 1399.

This looks amazing, and has since I first saw the original thread. Downloading. It's a real pity about the map though.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

The Winnebago province needs to go to Fox. It's currently owned by Potwatomic, but as soon as a rebel pops up, it's lost until they can get a landconnection or it defects to someone else.

Also add more CoT. Choctaw is often to far away. Perhaps one near the Great Lakes and one on the Atlantic coast.

Good point on Winnebago. It'll go to Fox until I can change the map, then.

As for Center of Trades, I intend to look into where to put them soon - Choctaw is not necessarily best anyway.

I think one near Montreal would be sensible. (Would be right in Montreal, but Montreal is an empty province).

I might even end up doing competing Huron and Iroquois COTs.

Samuel de Champlain vol. II GregElSho's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I think I'll like this mod.
    (Even more when it will be into another one, but first things first.)

Still no clue about fixing the map, though?
    (Chamboozer, DanubianCossack and a few others -including me- have quite managed it (in my case, except for Ireland which is still a bit glitchy), maybe you can have some assistance?)

Oh, I know how to do it - I managed it for a test, and I have a copy of my EU3 folder that's just waiting for me to get to map-modding.

However, I'd rather not release a mod that requires people to have a second install of EU3, so I'm going to focus on modding other elements and give Paradox a chance to fix it. If they don't, I suppose I'll have to release the new map as something you need a separate install first...but hopefully Paradox will have found what went wrong by then.

So for now I'm focusing on the non-map aspect of the mod.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

OK, do you got a To-Do-List?

I would like to integrate your mod into ours, so, I'm most interested in the original map with its normal borders.

Will have a look tomorrow in the evening .

The To-Do list at this point:

1. Get the correct (or at least improved) Country History Files, although that will mostly be the job of my partner in crime and code monkey, Birdboy.
    2. Add the Andean States, and possibly other South American states (Suggestions very welcome)
    3. Hopefully by then Paradox will have fixed the map thing, so we'll be able to integrate things with the map. If not then:
    4. Add in decisions and events for the natives, although I'm still working on specifics. (Suggestions very welcome)
    5. Develop European/Native interactions with events and more decisions. (Suggestions welcome)
    6. Add in the Africans. Fix the Europe-conquer-Africa thing.
    7. And on, and on, and on...

1 and 2 are likely to work in parallel (I develop the basic countries and add them to the map; he fixes the history files).

------------

On another opint of business entirely, I'm thinking the following for North American center of Trades:

-Ontario (meeting point of a few major rivers, or as close as we can get to it anyway (the meeting point is really in Montreal, but that's an empty province so no COT there)
    -Once the new map with plenty more province is done, something in Iroquois country to act as rivals.
    -Tamaroa or Cahokia (meeting points of lots of rivers - Ohio, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, Cumberland...)
    -Something in Manitoba (Manitoba/Hudson Bay trade)
    -Chihaha (tail end of the Great Valley).
    -Salish (Columbia river trade)
    Last edited by Guillaume HJ; 20-12-2010 at 10:30.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

For NA natives, try to add some "migration" events. Most of them moved a lot as time went by.
    InExtenso - Distance is your enemy.
    DW is too slow? Get the Faster Graphics Pack.
    Hate the wavy fog? Go back to the old one.
    Don't hate me because I'm French. Hate me because I can mod anything in this game

Very difficult to do without becoming excessively deterministic, sadly. But I'll look into what can be done.

(Hmmmm...Johan said that hordes could NEGOCIATE with one another...but he never said anything about whether Colonize = Yes countries could colonize each other...I'll have to experiment with that to check if it works, could be one way of handling migrations)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

I like the sound of this addon!

Oh, got an idea for an event/provincedecision: "Sell Manna-hata (Manhattan) for 60 ducat to the dutch/english/german etc."
    Trigger: 100 colonists should be in Manhattan

Lady of the North Star Demi Moderator Saithis's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Ditto about whether this will be useable in other mods - I was planning on doing something like this for my own mod but it'll save me huge amounts of research/trouble. It looks really good!
    Sai's Inkwell - Click here to see more of my writing!
    Ongoing AARs:
    Valour of the North Star - Chronicles of the Hvide Clan: CK2 Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Last Man and Shilling - Semper Fi HPP AustraliAAR: HOI3 SF HPP History-Book AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Blood and Gold - The Second Spanish Republic: HOI3 FTM HPP History-Book/Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 18th August 2012
    Kings of Qritani - A Tale of Picts and Celts: Rome Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 4th September, 2012
    Sai Plays Game of Thrones: Burning Down Westeros: CK2 AGOT Gameplay Video AAR, Last Updated: 6th September, 2012
    If I type in this elegant Red, I am speaking in an official capacity as an AARland Demi-Moderator.
    Forum Rules | AARland FAQ | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2

General question to the people wanting to use this for their own mods - what kind of mods are we talking about here? Seems to me that if we're going to be borrowing each other's ideas and files, we may want to look into whether we shouldn't combine force to try to make one, bigger and better mods, rather than conntantly borrowing from each other.

Of course, it's possible our design philosophies might not fit one another, but...won't know that until we compare notes, will we?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Looks great, Guillaume. Will be testing... as soon as I can get DW off Steam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast