• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Salzburg. Smite the blasphemous heretics and create a holy German kingdom. :)

How I Learned to Stop Crying Over the Reformation and love the Pope

From the Journal of an anonymous Arch Bishop residing in Salzburg:
Friday, August 1st 1508 AD.
It seems that today is a day of great disparity throughout Europe; Heresy and Heathens spread throughout the lands and the Pope has retreated from the Sistine Chapel and into an undisclosed kingdom in the Holy Roman Empire due to a border scare between Naples and the Papal States.

Our great Principality has survived many Papal Bishops have retreated into Our Alte Residenz in fear of their safety. Our people are confused about the world and what lies just over our borders. In god's name I hope our Grand Principality can survive even hundreds of years from now.

As quill and parchment met in the damp underhalls of the Alte Residenz, in the main room Archbishop Leopold Anton I began to speak to his people. The grand hall was filled with people from all over the Principality of Salzburg from various backgrounds and occupations. From Nobles wearing lavish and expensive clothing to the lowly shoemakers who wore simple linen clothing made up to look less garish with a small trinket or two. Despite the differences in class and status every person was conversing with another of a different status levels. The Entire Hall was lit brightly with the flame of two hundred and fifty torches except for two balconies slightly off to the side of the stage on both sides. They were pitch black: and from it the Archbishop himself stood there and examined his people. The bickering of the crowd began to get louder as they became more impatient at the lack of an address.

p21_16c%20bishop%231%23.jpg

Archbishop Leopold Anton I circa 1508

Such ignorant whining annoyed the Archbishop, who continued to stare at the people in the impregnable darkness. Finally he had, had enough and began down the balcony towards the staircase leading to his throne. The sounds of conversation began to falter at a fast rate; soon leaving the only sound in the room a slow, deafening sound of footsteps. From the shadows came Leopold Anton I, the Archbishop of Salzburg: continuing down the right staircase into the now silent room.

"YOU ARE ALL SINNERS!" He proclaimed loudly as he descended down the flight of stairs and onto the stairs. "This world is filled with sin and no one here is safe from it! Not even I." Archbishops and peasants alike were shocked by this sudden declaration by the Archbishop, having never heard him speak words as cynical as those. In a confident stride the Archbishop took center stage in front of his people and raised his arms towards the sky. "Oh Mighty lord!" He began in a bellowing voice, "Spare these people of this fair land from their sin and bring them to salvation in the name of your son Jesus Christ!" All in one movement he and his people took to their knee and began to pray, murmuring about forgiveness and sin to a force they did not know to much about. The silence was a normal one and was routine with the gathering of all Salzburg's people.

EU3_75.jpg

A map drawn up by Archbishop Leopold Anton I showing the 'Heathens' and "Heretics' in Blue, Green, and Brown

And in another gran, single movement the entire room stood up once again and the Archbishop once again rose his arms into the air. "I decree a painting shall be made to honor the people of Salzburg and our love for God. It will show our holy forces Smiting the Reformation and forcing the one true face onto sinners." Conversation started up again as the crowd began to discuss who would draw such a painting since Salzburg was poor and could nay afford such a lengthy endeavor as a grand masterpiece the Archbishop intended.
EU3_71.jpg

The Declaration of a Masterpiece by Leopold Anton I

Aliasing: Salzburg:

YES ! ! you see, i did not need to vote ! ! ;)

Aliasing: ..."I decree a painting shall be made to honor the people of Salzburg and our love for God..."

excellent start ! ! :D

i am glad to find this ! ! :cool:

I see a lot of work for the Archbishop: Muslim Spain, Protestant Greece, but how commissioning a painting is about to help is beyond me.

QUIET YOU IMPUTENT WELP! The Archbishop likes Paintings.

Aliasing: ...The Archbishop likes Paintings.

oh, i meant to ask, what is the effect of that painting ? ?

What do you expect an Archbishop of an OPM to do with his spare time? Invade things? HAH! Not yet my friend.

ALSO I've decided to do a few "Extra Events" Which will have no screens of because I lack sufficient skill to moding these things (although if someone doesn't mind spoilers they could help me out with this)

Also why does no one comment and only read? LOL

What do you expect an Archbishop of an OPM to do with his spare time? Invade things? HAH! Not yet my friend.

ALSO I've decided to do a few "Extra Events" Which will have no screens of because I lack sufficient skill to moding these things (although if someone doesn't mind spoilers they could help me out with this)

Also why does no one comment and only read? LOL

Reading is fun
Writing isin't

Thank you for taking part in Writing with the StAARs contest!

Did someone say Venice? Because I think I heard someone say Venice.

Did Someone say Another Chapter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People found it strange that the Archbishop wanted a painting to show the glory and power of Salzburg. They found it confusing such a painting would bring about the true spirit of a kingdom. But little did the people know: the Archbishop was an ambitious one. He planned to lead through example for all of Europe to view, vowing to make the principality into an Empire that rivals that of Sweden, or Spain (despite being Muslim). The Archbishop became jealous of word that an Islamic country controls land in a world most countries know nothing about. He felt it was not destiny that Sweden controlled a section of almost every country that were once a great power. That he felt was an outrage to the word of god; that an Islamic country and a country made up of people who once murdered men of god were now large kingdoms (empires in Spain's case) that could crush Salzburg without hesitation.

So the Archbishop came up with a plan so devious and ambitious that no one could have ever guessed what he really meant by "Painting". He invited dignitaries from Venice and Aquileia do watch as the "masterpiece" is unveiled. As they arrived they laughed and joked about Salzburg and other countries and problems going on around them. This time instead of watching from the shadows the Archbishop was fraternizing with the Venetians and Aquileians in order to access the situations. Once it was time to unveil the painting Leopold Anton I took center stage and rose his hands saying, "This beautiful painting will be attributed to the power we all have in God, through tolerance and friendship!" The guests took this with strange looks as they clapped sarcastically. But the Archbishop was not done "You see I have spent the last few years making friends in Europe, getting Military Access from Switzerland and Styria would certainly attribute to this next announcement.With a devilish smile he pulled of the cloth hiding the "painting" to reveal it was basically a declaration of war on Venice. It showed the Archbishop crushing the Protestant country: and in an instant troops entered and murdered the dignitaries from all sides (except German).

Elsewhere troops were already pouring into Venice from Switzerland.
EU3_86.jpg

The war started well with the capture of Treviso; this was the perfect time for war as Venice had lost all of it's colonial possessions in the Mediterranean and now was just Two provinces. But what the archbishop didn't expect is the fact Aquileia defied the Archbishop and declared war on Venice as well, taking the Center of trade for themselves. After the Annexation of the Trevisan republic of Venice Leopold Anton I immediately declared war on Aquileia and invaded both of their provinces, annexing the small country in the process.

Austria, Styria and many other countries joined us in this war against the infidel states. Troops from our side poured over the borders taking their home province (with Austrians at our flank guarding the province formerly known as Treviso (Now St Marcus) in the process wiping out their army. Venice was completely undefended except for a small Merc army guarding it from invasion. This would be their downfall as the inferior army of Aquileians was quickly bought off their payroll and dismissed into Sweden (meaning I killed them). We overtook Venice and claimed Aquileia for the Archbishop-ship.

EU3_125.jpg

Last edited:
This is based off of a Game I played before where I was Granada and United the entire Iberian Peninsula (picture on first post)