• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stop trying to go toe to toe with them. If you see a melee player approaching you, turn and run. You can always find another position to shoot from after they give up. It helps to know where your own infantry are, a favourite trick of mine when being chased by infantry is to lead them right into your own infantry. If you develop your own melee skills you can often deal with, or at least hold your own, lone enemy melee, but if they approach in a group flight is always better than fight.
Get to know the shields too. Some shields you can shoot under while they're raised, others only take a few hits to destroy. Any other shield makes them virtually impossible to shoot down, so look for opportunities to shoot them in the flank or back instead.
Buddying up can work wonders too. If you buddy up with one of your own infantry players you can shoot at range while they deal with anyone who gets close. Pairing up with another archer lets one of you act as bait while the other works their way around to shoot at the back or side of your pursuers. Cavalry can be the most effective, if they get behind a building or similar you can lure enemy infantry in, and while they're focused on you your partner has an excellent opportunity to lance them in the back.

:rofl:Can anybody give me some tips for archery plzz i allways gott owned by people with axes and schields?? XD :)

This is in multiplayer I presume? Then mobility is the #1 thing to remember. You can't shoot many arrows before being noticed, and if you stay still you may likely be shot by another archer or caught up by a enemy soldier. To be mobile you should always keep an eye on your surroundings. Easiest way is to do something like this:

Step 1: Find a good position, the higher ground the better... You should also choose a spot that gives you at least one flight way, if you're caught by the enemy.

Step 2:
Locate enemy and fire

Step 3: Move! Not far, but at least a but. If you see him, then he most likely sees you! And if he has a friend with a bow you can count on that arrows will start raining down upon you. So be mobile!

Step 4: See step 3

Step 5: Find a new position, or make sure that you're not flanked or spotted. You should actually always keep an eye on your back, shooting, turning, reloading, shooting, turning... You get the point ;)

------------------------

If caught, then you'll have to either fight or flee. If you've got friends nearby run to them and get the advantage of being more then the enemy. If you can't find any friends, or can't reach them then you simply have to fight. Depending on what faction you're playing you'll have a shield or no shield. Vaegirs and Sarranids often only have swords. Try to block or chamber block the enemy. Always be mobile. The longer the fight last the bigger the chance of getting help. Khergits, Swadians and Rhodoks have shields, that way will you be able to defend more easily. As always, be mobile and when your shield breaks (it will, I promise) try to block or chamber block. The Nords are my personal favourites, as their archers got a two handed axe. This way you will be able to be a bit offensive, or more likely that you should be more offensive. As always, be mobile!

I'm not saying that you should always be defensive, you should always try to kill the enemy. But a player with routine knows that he has the upper advantage as he got a good shield, a sharp blade and the experience to kill you whenever he wants. The best alternative is thus being defensive...

rhodok crossbowmen have a shield, so they can be quite good in multiplayer. the nord archer has a 2h axe. nord and rhodok should have less problems defending when engaged in close combat.

when playing sarranid for example, i use two arrow slots for much ammunition, leaving only one slot for a sword. thats the scimitar when playing sarranid and you can actually surprise one or two enemies with that weapon.

last time i played the crossbowmen, someone wanted to kill me because i already did a lot of damage to the enemy team.
i played rhodok and had 60 bolts with me and one shield only, no weapon. what i did now was, when he approached me, i was waiting for him to close up with my crossbow loaded. once he lowered his shield, i released the mouse button and shooted him in the torso.
he didnt die and tried to kill me in close combat. here comes the fun part: i take my shield and.... give him a left fist punch. his attacks are slower than mine, so i landed another punch which KILLED him. im quite a new player but i never saw that icon in the left lower corner, some sort of *smack* symbol.
very amusing though and that was one of my best stats so far, having scored 16 to 10 (k/d ratio) with the crossbow only. i really like that weapon. but i prefer the bow in close combat

Awesome kill Octavio! :D

I prefer Sarranids or Vaegirs because of the scimitar. Fast and only have two types of swings, up and from the side. That way you know for sure that you won't get any of those thrusts that doesn't do any damage whatsoever...

he didnt die and tried to kill me in close combat. here comes the fun part: i take my shield and.... give him a left fist punch. his attacks are slower than mine, so i landed another punch which KILLED him. im quite a new player but i never saw that icon in the left lower corner, some sort of *smack* symbol.

Heh, during the beta we used to strip all equipment and armour and simply run around punching people. Was always hilarious, especially when everyone else on the server decided to join in.