• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saamohod

Second Lieutenant
44 Badges
May 22, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Hi. Could someone inform me, is there a downloadable free demo version of the game WITH the newest patch (and Semper Fi). The point is, a year ago or so I downloaded the demo when the game was just released, but I was not impressed at all. The game simply was not ready, you know what I mean. Time has passed and I start receiving positive reviews on the game in its current form.
I'd like to try it myself, but I don't want to risk buying it just yet with Semper Fi.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi. Could someone inform me, is there a downloadable free demo version of the game WITH the newest patch (and Semper Fi). The point is, a year ago or so I downloaded the demo when the game was just released, but I was not impressed at all. The game simple was not ready, you know what I mean. Time has passed and I start receiving positive reviews on the game in its current form.
I'd like to try it myself, but I don't want to risk buying it just yet with Semper Fi.
Any advice will be appreciated.

There is no demo with the latest patch or with SF

The original demo can be found here

And to be honest, that is exactly the problem with demos. Nowadays, games are usually not ready upon release, so they are patched later on. (That would not be that big of a problem, as long as you can be sure that it will be patched, but that's beside the point.) Obviously it would be more trouble than its worth to develop a new demo for every version you release, so developers don't do that. But because of this, the demo actually doesn't demonstrate the current game, but an earlier stage in its life. (We all know that this is especially true for PI products. That doesn't bother me because this way I have a say in what will get into the game in the end, and otherwise I wouldn't. Your mileage may vary.)

Now, the solution is already invented and in use: the ability to download a time-limited version of the game, then if you like it, you can buy it. If you don't, you don't need to. The problem with this is very obvious: the publisher will need to somehow enforce this limit, because otherwise it would have a very limited income... (I would love to live on the planet where this method works, but that's not Earth.) One such way is Steam. The problem with Steam is that it likes to infect your system like a parasite and if you let it, soon you won't be able to live (or rather play) without it. Call me a hippi (or whatever), but I don't like the way some publishers forces you to be connected to them while you play. It has this certain stench of fascism about it... Problem is, I can't think of a good way to authenticate the user reliably and still not causing too much trouble. It is a very hard thing to balance I'm afraid.

Now, Paradox has a somewhat special situation, because their games are only meant for a very limited group of people. (Yeah, they might want to reach more people, but be serious. You can't aim the masses and keep the quality and depth at the same time. It's not going to work.) Because of that, they are especially relying on us to support them, otherwise they will go under. (From what I've seen, they have been on the rise for the last year, recruiting new people, releasing game after game, publishing games developed by others, etc., but as a consequence of capitalism, if you are not growing fast enough, you are going under.) On the other hand, their target group is supposed to be mature enough to understand why is it necessary to actually buy their products in order to support them. (I mean if you can understand how the economy in Victora works, then you can understand how it works IRL :D)

As a result, releasing demos is not really a good idea for PI (HoI3 is the perfect example), and neither are PC magazines, as they test early versions full of bugs and balance issues. The only practically working way is this very forum, and ourselves spreading the word :)

And I guess I should write a blog, but if I would, PI would be forced to buy some new squirels (or rather some more storage space) for their servers again very quickly :rofl:

And to be honest, that is exactly the problem with demos. Nowadays, games are usually not ready upon release, so they are patched later on. (That would not be that big of a problem, as long as you can be sure that it will be patched, but that's beside the point.) Obviously it would be more trouble than its worth to develop a new demo for every version you release, so developers don't do that. But because of this, the demo actually doesn't demonstrate the current game, but an earlier stage in its life. (We all know that this is especially true for PI products. That doesn't bother me because this way I have a say in what will get into the game in the end, and otherwise I wouldn't. Your mileage may vary.)

Now, the solution is already invented and in use: the ability to download a time-limited version of the game, then if you like it, you can buy it. If you don't, you don't need to. The problem with this is very obvious: the publisher will need to somehow enforce this limit, because otherwise it would have a very limited income... (I would love to live on the planet where this method works, but that's not Earth.) One such way is Steam. The problem with Steam is that it likes to infect your system like a parasite and if you let it, soon you won't be able to live (or rather play) without it. Call me a hippi (or whatever), but I don't like the way some publishers forces you to be connected to them while you play. It has this certain stench of fascism about it... Problem is, I can't think of a good way to authenticate the user reliably and still not causing too much trouble. It is a very hard thing to balance I'm afraid.

Now, Paradox has a somewhat special situation, because their games are only meant for a very limited group of people. (Yeah, they might want to reach more people, but be serious. You can't aim the masses and keep the quality and depth at the same time. It's not going to work.) Because of that, they are especially relying on us to support them, otherwise they will go under. (From what I've seen, they have been on the rise for the last year, recruiting new people, releasing game after game, publishing games developed by others, etc., but as a consequence of capitalism, if you are not growing fast enough, you are going under.) On the other hand, their target group is supposed to be mature enough to understand why is it necessary to actually buy their products in order to support them. (I mean if you can understand how the economy in Victora works, then you can understand how it works IRL :D)

As a result, releasing demos is not really a good idea for PI (HoI3 is the perfect example), and neither are PC magazines, as they test early versions full of bugs and balance issues. The only practically working way is this very forum, and ourselves spreading the word :)

And I guess I should write a blog, but if I would, PI would be forced to buy some new squirels (or rather some more storage space) for their servers again very quickly :rofl:

Thanks for the extensive answer, Stan. Now I see a fuller picture.
I do know how capitalism works, more than my average peer (due to my passion for strategies :)). Therefore I'm ready to buy a product that I would be pleased of. So tell me plainly, how's the game now? Is it good enough? I have spent quite long time playing EU3, can HoI3 be compared to it regarding the level of readiness?

Thanks for the extensive answer, Stan. Now I see a fuller picture.
I do know how capitalism works, more than my average peer (due to my passion for strategies :)). Therefore I'm ready to buy a product that I would be pleased of. So tell me plainly, how's the game now? Is it good enough? I have spent quite long time playing EU3, can HoI3 be compared to it regarding the level of readiness?

You might want to check this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.