• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah but the thing is, no matter which difficulty level you pick, or what aggressiveness level you set, in 99% (from my personal experience) games Castille will conquer MOST of Portugal; France will go to war with Spain (or Castille or Aragon even worse), Scandinavians will get dragged into Russia, etc. None of these issues are game breakers by themselves, BUT remember, there are some things that are pre set in EU3, for example the way AI countries pick certain ideas etc, so if every game goes too a-historic, dis-balance in one area of Europe in first 200 years can seriously mess up the entire game: Ill give you example: If Portugal disappears (and they always seem to) this means 1/3 of colonizing Potential until 1600s is gone; if France conquers Aragon/Castille, then Spain is not very likely to ever form, which leaves Castille, again, barely colonizing, and this can have huge impact on colonial part of the game. Similar, if Scandinavians gain too much of Russian land, then GH is left barely opposed/unopposed and Scandis gain enough base power to mess HRE completely etc etc etc. And again im not saying EU3 should be a history simulation, just remember that you cant have a truly open ended game unless AI is capable of adjusting itself according to context, which AI in EU3 is not.

My Wallachia>Romania Empire.

For clarification, I'm playing with the March 30th 5.1b patch, and I edited the tech modifiers. Eastern to 95, Ottoman to 90, Muslim to 85, India to 80, Chinese to 60. Mind you, I did this BEFORE trying Wallachia, when I was playing Brandenburg>Prussia and Holland>Netherlands in my first two games with DW.

EU3_6-1.jpg

That's a big Catalunya! Very awesome.

I'm actually more concerned about how they got there in the first place.

I can answer that: a number of events spawning fixed nationalist rebels where they should not spawn by "normal" game mechanic - if there are no core-existing TAGs to spawn, then one without existing cores gets picked up and spawned, and voila - Catalunya :)

Maybe it was a bizarre chain of events resulting in Austria inheriting the Golden Horde?

Actually, Austria had, as the HRE, taken Estland from the TO earlier in the game. They also, in later wars, expanded that territory (was the odd green south of Finland, north of Ptolsk(sp?) and between Prussia and Novrogrod- they also had the Ptolsk territory) into Lithuania and eventually ran into the Golden Horde. They went back and forth for 50 years until Austria finally managed to over come the GH's numbers with Tech and from then GH fell quickly. Ptolsk and that odd green country revolted relatively recently (and I grabbed them as Vassals diplomatically), so yes, it is falling apart a bit for Austria.

However, they are HRE once more, and see that 181k in manpower I have? Austria has over twice that in standing Army.

In other news, Tunisia is on a CRUSADE against Algiers. You read that right.

Burgundy 1487
EU3_MAP_BUR_1487314_1-1.jpg

EU3_1-1-1.jpg

EU3_2-1.jpg

I followed my missions in the beginning and annexed a lot of the minors in the north, while slowly building up my relationship with France, in hopes that I wouldn't be attacked. Of course, I was, but me and my trusty ally Switzerland pulled through and I made France release Champagne and Normandy, leaving Paris isolated from southern France. Southern France fell to rebellions and divided. At around this time, France, now only consisting of Paris, got excommunicated. I took advantage of that, and around 1435, I was in control of Paris and France was no more. They came back through rebellions later on, but I have them vassalized.

Speaking of that, every one of those vassals I have I got through diplomatic means, except for Brittany, Lorraine and Genoa. My sphere of influence is huge, encompassing pretty much all of western Europe, so even with my string of 3, 3, 3 and 3, 3, 5 rulers, I was able to get stuff done.

As for other wars, I had a huge war with Austria just after I destroyed France, and they pretty much beat the crap out of me. Luckily releasing nations from your sphere is worth so much war score or I would have definitely had to give up more. I allied with Bavaria so I figure with them, Switzerland, and all my vassals I shouldn't have any trouble if they attack again. They like to send spies my way to incite troop desertion during peace time, so that's kind of weird.

I also recently had a huge war with Castille to try and grab that random province they have in Brittany. I have like no navy, just 11 cogs, but my vassals Brittany and Holland both had enough ships to make it through the Spanish armada and down to Africa where they occupied all of the Castillian holdings in my name. Tangiers defected to me, and I gave it to my vassal Genoa so I wouldn't have to build a navy to protect Africa. Anyways, even with holding all of Castillian Africa and the province in Brittany, my war score was only at like 18%, and all of my attempted invasions of Spain failed horribly, so I just gave up. I don't generate spies, but I figure the province will eventually rebel and Castille will lose interest. If not, when I annex all of my vassals and gain cores, I should way more powerful than them.

And I'm not sure what's going on with the Timurids. It looks like they were giant, but are now collapsing.

Update on my Naxos game from a few pages back:

May 1502:

I took Syria down a notch in order to gain an east african port, and the Candar you see is Catholic, but owns only Sunni provinces. The reformation has started, but I embraced the counter reformation quickly.

2073klh.jpg

And here's the world map. Please note the unusually large Ukraine and Ryazan.

o5ntax.jpg

posting my incomplete Mali empire of Africa and other parts of the world. So far I'm on every continent and own all of africa as a sub-Saharan african country and will soon have a core in Asia and the Cariibean and the ones for land and navy moral 7.

Asia and Oceania

eu330.jpg

Europe and North Africa

eu331.jpg

rest of Africa

eu333.jpg

the Americas

eu335.jpg

[/SPOILER]

You must include us the details on how you managed this incredible feat!

I annexed Tuscany asap to get a safety province against Burgundy annexation.
Bohemia (HRE) didnt bother to sign white peace a couple of years later.
From that time on I have been in wars permanently for at least 60 years. Mainly with Milan.
I wanted to acquire all the juicy university provinces in northern Italy to quickly recover from
massive minting. When I DOWd on Milan they shipped all their troops to pisa and conquered Firenze
so I checked how many cogs they got and sent enough troops to Parma to beat incoming forces Milano
shipped there to rescue its core provinces. After I conquered all of Milano except siena and pisa I was still facing
twice as much troops as I got and my WE never really dropped below 18 and I got mass revolts all the time but with assaults
and troop splitting I managed to conquer Siena and Pisa and retake Firenze for a nice 100% warscore.

With cores on my wealthy northern italy provinces I left HRE and began to take down France around 1500 with brute force and
a tiny little 3 province burgundy as my vassal.

After that I picked up a few of the wallonian provinces with nationalism CB and connected my lower and upper Kingdom via Switzerland.

Around 1650 Austria was my biggest enemy. They were HRE, inherited an almost complete Great Britain, Prussia and conquererd most of the ottoman
provinces on top of that. I DOWd them a handful of times just to make them revoke erbkaisertum reform.
And with a lot of help from my Vassals I almost got them shrinking to their initial cores.

A few words on my economic strategy:

I decided not to overexpand and build prod/trade and a manufactory in every province instead.
I also decided for a non-colonial playstyle to keep my expenses on a minimum. To defeat UberAustria
I had to build level 4 army and navy buildings all over my country. To keep my monopolies I hardly ever
exceeded the amount of infamy my trader neutrlized with +chance etc

Nice Mali, really impressive work.

Johan11: Screenshots which have Ulm annexed don't count. ;-)

It was indeed Scotland, Hansa, Netherlands(Holland), and Scandinavia(Norway)

Nice Mali, really impressive work.

Johan11: Screenshots which have Ulm annexed don't count. ;-)

I think that IS Ulm.