• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Historically, the Ottomans did make it all the way to Vienna and were able to siege the city back in 1529, however they lost and were never able to advance any further into Europe after just dominating everything up to that point. There was then a battle in Vienna in 1683 where the Ottomans were once again defeated and at the end of that war a coalition of chirstian nations was ableto force the Ottomans to give up their territory in central Europe. After that the empire slowly started to collapse.

At the first siege of Vienna Ottomans were not defeated. Due to rain and mud on their marching route they had to leave heavy cannons back and couldn't bring them to the gates of Vienna. Suleyman I. himself was leading this campaign and he saw that without these cannons he can't capture the city. They lifted the siege without any battle or any other decisive moment against them.
The second siege of Vienna was 1 day away from succeeding, but due to - some talk about arrogance - of the commander they didn't assault the city. Others say that Kara Mustafa (the campaign leader and Grand Vizier) didn't allow an assault because he feared that the elite Janissary corps would pillage the city and leave it in a bad condition. At that point Janissaries became an uncontrollable disease which secretly ruled over the empire by causing revolts against the Sultan himself. They even went that far to kill one Sultan and use their own supported member of the Ottman dynasty.

@CanOmer
When talking about "surprisingly well" I talk in game terms because Ottomans normally collapse. I agree with you that the Ottoman Empire is left without special attention by any designer. It seems people really dont know about them or simply underestimate their role. Historical strong countries like France or Spain get tweaks and workarounds so they can reach their historical peak, but not the Ottomans which almost always fail.
I haven't seen OE surviving 100 years out of time frame in a long time now and was happy they finally did, though MEIOU represents them way better than vanilla EU3 which focusses on Europe, Japan and China.

eu347.png

My small-Romanum Imperium.

Though I'm wondering..should I wait till there is no revolt possibility or attack the un-vassalized Bosnia I made to fully accept them into me?

My Ottoman Empire, from the multiplayer game in my signature. All the other player nations are also marked out.

I'm a middle power, though I have the largest army in the world, its weaker than France's (a rival of mine after he stole India out from under me), and my technology is extremely backward because of the number of large wool provinces I have. But the situation is under control, and I think I'll be able to take most of Austria before the game ends.

The World:

1681worldmap.jpg

Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and the Near Orient:

1681europe.jpg

The Far Orient:

1681farorient.jpg

The Americas:

1681americas.jpg

A very interesting game so far, with a number of exciting wars, including a very dramatic world war pitting an expansionistic Austria against a coalition of the Ottomans, the French, the Italians and the Dutch, which I seemed likely to win until Prussia, Russia and Bohemia joined the war on Austria's side. Dramatic, exciting, and highlighting one of the best parts of EU3 Multiplayer; real player-to-player diplomacy.

As someone who google-translated a section of this, I can say that this man is a poet who deserves to be appreciated in his own time, but sadly probably won't. Cudos to your brave, yet delicate prose.

This be my Germany, got it from Luneburg, which I was rather pleased with myself about. I've got France in a PU, so it's all nice and serene, lost the drive to anything else with it though however...
EU3_5.jpg

Experience tells me that the Low Countries often need a "firm guiding hand". ;)

In case anyone was wondering, the Occupy Timurid movement turned out pretty swell! This is my first Hindustan, and I'm pretty proud of it. Just wish I'd taken a screeny of the gigantor Bihar before Ming ate it.

Just when I thought I had Asia wrapped up in a bow, it turns out the French are on my doorstep. Weak sauce, I says.

EU3_5-1.jpg

EU3_MAP_HIN_1551430_2.jpg

You think that map of Europe looks kind of off? You're right. Look what the AI did! Completely normal 1399 Start with Lucky Nations on Random. Gee, I wonder who the lucky nations were?
EU3_7.jpg

Last edited:
Experience tells me that the Low Countries often need a "firm guiding hand". ;)

They're all vassals. When I play as an OPM it seems far easier to expand via mass-vassalisation, with slow annexation, before forming Germany my Luneburg had had essentially all of Germany as a vassal. I quite like them there personally, all forgotten and irrelevant!

Plenty of people form the HRE, but I have 1) exceptionally nice borders 2) the rest of the world is of note for being an absolute tip! (P.S. Imperial Wales will look far better when I grab the rest of England) I'm also leading PU's with Byzantium, England and Karaman.
EU3_8.jpg

And here's the GODawful world!
EU3_7.jpg

And the obligatory World/Empire & Vassals Maps
EU3_MAP_HRE_1698817_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_HRE_1698816_1.jpg

Last edited:
@CanOmer
When talking about "surprisingly well" I talk in game terms because Ottomans normally collapse. I agree with you that the Ottoman Empire is left without special attention by any designer. It seems people really dont know about them or simply underestimate their role. Historical strong countries like France or Spain get tweaks and workarounds so they can reach their historical peak, but not the Ottomans which almost always fail.
I haven't seen OE surviving 100 years out of time frame in a long time now and was happy they finally did, though MEIOU represents them way better than vanilla EU3 which focusses on Europe, Japan and China.

They are one of the pre-set lucky nations. In almost all previous versions of EU3, they used to take over half of Europe. They were later nerfed a lot because they were too strong. There has been a lot of attention to their design, they were just made a little too weak the last time (which is probably a thing that is hard to balance). They even have their own tech group to make them stronger than the other muslim powers, and they have several special events and decisions.

Plus, those Ottomans are important. In my Hindustan game, they've been completely eaten by Byzantium and France. Now who's to stop France from invading me through the middle east? Not Persia. Persia's getting ate!

They're all vassals. When I play as an OPM it seems far easier to expand via mass-vassalisation, with slow annexation, before forming Germany my Luneburg had had essentially all of Germany as a vassal. I quite like them there personally, all forgotten and irrelevant!

Plenty of people form the HRE, but I have 1) exceptionally nice borders 2) the rest of the world is of note for being an absolute tip! (P.S. Imperial Wales will look far better when I grab the rest of England) I'm also leading PU's with Byzantium, England and Karaman.
EU3_8.jpg

And here's the GODawful world!
EU3_7.jpg

And the obligatory World/Empire & Vassals Maps
EU3_MAP_HRE_1698817_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_HRE_1698816_1.jpg
OH MY GOD! EYES WHERE NOT MEANT TO WITNESS THIS HORROR!

[video=youtube;-b8USGj8Q1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8USGj8Q1M[/video]

So I just united Japan as the Emperor. As in the OPM that has no diplomatic options with anyone.

TLFNB.jpg

(this province was the last stronghold of the Shoguns)

I was half-expecting the Shogunate to not dissolve, which would've put me in a quite interesting spot, utterly unable to conduct war.

Thank god for the "Trading in Spices" bonus, would've been so much harder without. Also would've been impossible had Korea not randomly decided to invade and then white peace out; that distracted Minamoto long enough for me to collapse their country.

So I just united Japan as the Emperor. As in the OPM that has no diplomatic options with anyone.

TLFNB.jpg

(this province was the last stronghold of the Shoguns)

I was half-expecting the Shogunate to not dissolve, which would've put me in a quite interesting spot, utterly unable to conduct war.

Thank god for the "Trading in Spices" bonus, would've been so much harder without. Also would've been impossible had Korea not randomly decided to invade and then white peace out; that distracted Minamoto long enough for me to collapse their country.

So the secret is to get a country to invade Japan, then have a daimyo collapse and let provinces align themselves to you?

So the secret is to get a country to invade Japan, then have a daimyo collapse and let provinces align themselves to you?

No, not really, that was just the last step.

The secret is that, apparently, when a same-culture country collapses and a patriot funded by you happens to be walking through said country, you automatically get 4 of their provinces. 4 provinces, no matter what.

I had no idea anything like this mechanic even existed and only found about it through a huge stroke of luck. The daimyos split into two alliances: Fujiawara-Minamoto and Taira-Tachibana. Taira got torn apart pretty quickly and lost a province to each of Fuj/Min and Fujiwara got invaded by Tachibana so I took the opportunity to Sponsor Patriots on the province Fuj took from Tai. I originally was just going to take that coastal province and bide my time, but the patriot rebels happened to wander into Taira. A few days later I found myself with 4 extra provinces. I proceeded to abuse this by making everyone collapse to pretenders several times.

I needed an external invasion because Minamoto was the only daimyo that didn't get crippled by war exhaustion and there was no way I could sponsor enough rebels to kill their 12-stack. Fortunately Korea helped out there.