• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's my German empire using the Death and Taxes mod. I set myself the task of becoming as powerful as possible without expanding too much outside of Europe. Here are the results.
(P.S. My army is only 2.6 million men, it would be far bigger but I went full quality, so they all have 200% discipline, effectively giving me 5.2 million men)

web.png

[...]

Es ist... WUNDERSCHÖN!

My latest game as Castille -> Spain.

1zy81h5.jpg

eklxl2.jpg

After first buying EU3 seven or eight months ago, I've play about ten games in total, all on Easy difficulty. By this point I felt I was ready to wean myself off of that and kick it up to Hard, so for this I picked a powerful country, Castille, to let me get used to it.

My goal here was pretty much to colonize historically and play a "conventional" Spain game, while keeping it interesting by having random lucky nations on. It seems a lot of people don't like to use lucky nations, but I for one like it because it sets up clearly-defined, stable powers and a less chaotic atmosphere.

After completing the Reconquista I just went with the flow when I got the mission to take provinces in North Africa. I ended up force-vassalizing Morocco and taking one of their landlocked provinces solely because it had gold. One of the coastal provinces bordered Algiers so over the next century I exploited the Holy War CB to eat up Algiers and sell all the provinces to Morocco to make them more powerful. True, their troops eventually became relatively backwards later in the game, but they had a large enough military to give some strategic benefit.

Boundary Disputes on Portugal led to me to slowly force them off the continent over the course of the game without many obstacles. Aragon was a much harder nut to crack though. After France's early collapse, the power vacuum to my north was filled by England, Burgundy, and Aragon. On the second map above, all my vassals you see in southern France were once part of Aragon, which by early-16th-century was a huge threat to me. For a while I was convinced they were "lucky." But wars with England and Burgundy broke them and I was able to take most of their provinces and force them to release southern French minors which I later diplo-vassalized. By this time I allied with Burgundy and England, and we were the three most powerful nations in the world. However, for most of the game I was pulling my hair out, unable to conquer Aragon due to a huge web of guarantees and alliances, often involving Burgundy and England themselves.

By far the biggest power here was, as you can see, Austria. Needless to say, all of Siberia was theirs as soon as they reached the Black Sea. They've been HRE for the entire game and they managed to pass all but the last two reforms. They even attempted to Revoke the Privilegia but it failed, which kind of disappointed me because I was looking for a big boss-type threat. They were already immensely powerful but they were a sleeping giant. I never went to war with them because I knew they would have crushed me. They inherited Aragon in the late 1600s which enraged me and almost destroyed all hope of forming Spain, but I soon realized I could gain Barcelona by using spies to spawn stack after stack of patriot rebels which they were powerless to defeat, considering their mere 20-strong transport fleet.

Predictably, I conquered the Inca and Central American natives as quickly as possible and proceeded to colonize in all directions. I wanted to finish the game with all of South America as my private continent, but I didn't quite make it. I ended up forcing several minors off the Brazilian coast, but I conceded to leave Britain and Austria alone. Britain, my reliable ally and almost evenly-matched power, was not a country worth warring with, and there was no way I was going to mess with the Austrian beast.

As far as PUs go, I got a peaceful PU on a weak Sweden in midgame and subsequently forced a PU on Denmark which had colonized extensively in Canada. After inheriting both of them, I released Denmark as a vassal and sold them all of Sweden's former provinces, allowing them to form Scandinavia.

Vijayanagar was a huge stable power stretching all the way from the Bay of Bengal to the Caucasus, until Austria pulverized them in the 1700s. Rather interestingly, in the late game, Ming actually offered me an alliance, which I accepted partly for the sheer novelty of it, and partly because, despite their backwards troops, they had the third largest army in the world at the time, at over 400,000. B-ut alas, almost immediately after I accepted, Ming fell under a personal union with a Hindu Khorasan that Austria had forced Vijayanagar to release earlier. So now I had the Confucian Chinese being ruled by a Hindu Persian king thousands of miles away. Not something you see every day. :happy:

You must have numerous rebellions every month, its hell to deal with them.

Indeed, I'm getting revolts all the time. But I've got a lot of armies scattered where the hottest spots are located, so it is not very painful, hehe.

How do you block other countries from colonizing?

You can steal their coastal provinces, or focus on trade tech to get the Quest for the New World first and then to naval so you increase your naval range. If you're quick to colonize the provinces they could reach before they have the tech for that... That's it :)

eu328.png

My Eastern Roman Empire in 1405.

Pretty much secured my power, only threats are the Jalayirids and the Mamluks.

I'll deal with the Hungarians after I secured Three of the Four Patriarchates.

And I'll attempt to see how I'll deal with the Naples.

I wonder how people can colonize so fast. How many colonists you have per year? You take NI for them? You take provinces one by one or you just send 100 colonists in each in your range and just wait untill it will grow up? And if so, where you get so much money to maintain them?

eu328.png

My Eastern Roman Empire in 1405.

Pretty much secured my power, only threats are the Jalayirids and the Mamluks.

I'll deal with the Hungarians after I secured Three of the Four Patriarchates.

And I'll attempt to see how I'll deal with the Naples.

How did you get so large in six years?

And the infamy.:) Nice job, though!

I could wait 10 years to annex them diplomaticaly, but my aim was to form russia ASAP. I also got kazan, which i got by fighting GH atb. I got it cored, cause claim the steppes mission. Now novgorod got 11 base tax and more manpower... Muscowy missions are quite OP, but i also got lucky, as i got claims on our rivals, and got cores on smolensk, ryazan, tver and belozeero, so i could just dow novgorod, and tver at the same time with no stabhits, and in separate wars.

D&T has a scenario that starts in 1356 (or something like that), where the Byzantines start with more land. And they have great sliders, decisions, events and such things

It's actually a touch harder for the Byzzies in 1356 than in 1399, since Serbia, Bulgaria and Venice can all kick your teeth in while the Ottomans watch from across the Bosphorus.

EU3_MAP_HRE_1820.2.2_2.jpg

I'm fairly proud of this empire. I started out as Cleves (OPM)!

My first conquests were when i annexed burgandy which consisted of two provinces disconnected from my capitol. It took a long time before i eventually linked myself into a continuous country. Even longer if you consider my iberian holdings.

About 30 years before the end i PU'd britain, hoping to inherit them, but sadly the PU continued during my one and only chance to inherit.

Check out the surviving cherokee and the second most powerful country in the world, hindustan!

I wonder how people can colonize so fast. How many colonists you have per year? You take NI for them? You take provinces one by one or you just send 100 colonists in each in your range and just wait untill it will grow up? And if so, where you get so much money to maintain them?

Yes, i had an NI for colonists. I had 2.1 each year (1 from catolicism, 1 from NI and 0.1 from TC).
I just send first 100 and wait for growing up. Full narrowminded+land of opportunity NI is good for it.
Money was from trading first time, and production from ~1550.