+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyway to make EU3 run slower?

Anyway to make EU3 run slower?

I got a new computer recently and wanted to play some EU3. But, the highest speed is absurdly fast, to the point where I can't play it. And the speed below that is a bit too slow for my taste. Is there any way to reduce the fastest speed to something more reasonable?

Try right clicking the process in the task manager and set the CPU priority to low, or just run a hefty amount of CPU intensive programs in the background while playing.

To clarify: the game speeds are hardcoded so there's no way to change them by editing the text files like you can with most other things. The speed depends on your hardware.

As pointed out: Hardcoded, little you can do to the game itself.

You could just switch to lower speeds during high activity and switch to high speeds when things are simple. Method I use. Only possible negative is having to adjust to constant speeds in multiplayer but then any other solution would impose this cost.

East India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Tabanese View Post
    ...You could just switch to lower speeds during high activity and switch to high speeds when things are simple. Method I use...
    Exactly what I do too. Slower speeds for me is if I am in a war where you need to keep an eye on enemy movements across different fronts, otherwise I play medium speed in an "easy" war, or high speed at most other times.
    "She certainly is a great queen, and were she only a Catholic she would be our dearly beloved. Just look how well she governs; she is only a woman, only mistress of half an island, and yet she makes herself feared by Spain, by France, by the Empire, by all." - Pope Sixtus V in 1585 about Queen Elizabeth I of England

One way is to grab a mod. Most significant ones decrease speed somewhat unless they knock the number of nations down massively. Depending on your opinion of the vanilla gameplay, it can be a rather strong improvement.

500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Run 3d mark in the background and that will sort you out.
    I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race...If there be a God, I think that what he would like me to do is paint as much of the map of Africa British Red as possible - Cecil Rhodes.

"Democritusparadise": Cacra is a nation wrecker in the Iwanow league.....he won't peace despite total defeat and will insist on WP

I just pause the game when I need to, (it's a strategy game after all).

And then just run the quickest speed when I'm not pausing.
    You can find me in (if you need game help) #EU3school on the Quakenet server, google Quakenet+webchat, join channel #eu3school. (I am obviously not always there though)

+ Reply to Thread