Your Proposal for Generic Decisions in Darkest Hour

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-Mobilization/Demobi
-2nd mobili wave (put women to work)/cancel it
-Normal industry/total war industry
-invest in guard units
-build engineering/military/research university (build infra somewhere random, give bonuses to the appropriate game modifer sectors)
-Surrender (capitulation in a war)
-War preparation (give temporal bonus moral, thoughness, org, suprise and intel)

-Mobilization/Demobi
-Normal industry/total war industry
-War preparation (give temporal bonus moral, thoughness, org, suprise and intel)

These are som interesting ideas. The first one I would call total war. If you decleare "total war" you will get an increase in IC, manpower, moral, thoughness, org, suprise and intel. However, total war has a downside, and this downside forces you to only take advantage of this option as a last option strategy. A total war is enduring and with time it will exhaust your country and affect the moral. Potential dissent will build up and losses wil become higher. The longer total war goes on the less effective it will become. Total war have an contagion effect, this menas that as the first country decleares it, it will spread to other countries.

Your latter idea I would call "the defense readiness condition". The defense readiness condition (DEFCON) prescribes graduated levels of readiness, moblization and status of alert from least severe to most severe. The threat level will affect the defense readiness condition. As the threat of war becomes greater (for example when the beligerence of other countries increases) you can raise your defense readiness condition to a greater level. The most severe defense readiness condition, "total war" can be ordered during wartime.

Instead of the random IC increase in GB and France when the German army reoccupies Rhinland they can choose to raise their defense readiness condition. The moblization level will thus becom higher an the will IC increase

These are som interesting ideas. The first one I would call total war. If you decleare "total war" you will get an increase in IC, manpower, moral, thoughness, org, suprise and intel. However, total war has a downside, and this downside forces you to only take advantage of this option as a last option strategy. A total war is enduring and with time it will exhaust your country and affect the moral. Potential dissent will build up and losses wil become higher. The longer total war goes on the less effective it will become. Total war have an contagion effect, this menas that as the first country decleares it, it will spread to other countries.
Kinda like in Victoria, when you mobilize neighbors get stressed and mobilize too just in case.
Your latter idea I would call "the defense readiness condition". The defense readiness condition (DEFCON) prescribes graduated levels of readiness, moblization and status of alert from least severe to most severe. The threat level will affect the defense readiness condition. As the threat of war becomes greater (for example when the beligerence of other countries increases) you can raise your defense readiness condition to a greater level. The most severe defense readiness condition, "total war" can be ordered during wartime.

Instead of the random IC increase in GB and France when the German army reoccupies Rhinland they can choose to raise their defense readiness condition. The moblization level will thus becom higher an the will IC increase
I meant that decision as a short time bonus to simulate blitzkrieg campaigns or quick strikes like after pearl harbors, but your idea is very interesting too. Hey maybe it could be used to replace the isolation-intervention slider? As it was supposed to simulate war readiness and world politics intervention.

- Nationalisation of strategic industries (for market economies)
- Fund resistance groups in occupied territories
- Ban parties (eg, ban communist parties, ban nazi parties, ban all anti-regime parties)
- Press censorship/degree of propaganda
- Ban trade union activity/striking (and to legalise it)
- Purge disloyal officers (reduces officer number/experience of divisions but if there are odds of soldiers deserting (like France WW2) it would be greatly reduced)
- Propaganda campaign in enemy country
- "Bribe" foreign country to align to you (see Marshal Plan)
- Forced Industrialisation (for centrally planned economies, reduces manpower growth temporarily, increases dissent, costs resources but builds IC in urban areas, could create new urban areas?)

- Unrestricted submarine warfare. Will be kind of easy to implement I think. Submarines become more effective, but relations to other nations is damaged and it might lead to "total war" (read above). With unrestricted submarine warfare you also risk sinking vessels of neutral countries, and thus lead them to war against you.

- Naval blockade. Surround all provinces bordering to the sea with a certain force and the targeteded nation will have dissent.

- As already mentioned, something related to colonial policy and occupation policy

- Guerilla war (I consider this one very important since the representation of insurgencies and guerilla wars are one of the most flawed and ignored parts of HOI). If a country choose to decleare guerilla war its forces will be able to fight for a long period of time, event though all national provinces are "controlled" by the enemy. Losses will be stable but low and battles wil last for months, even yers if the gueralla forces are large enough ( as the Swiss national redoubt forces would have been). Most effective in mountains and jungles. To counter guerilla forces the opponent need constant presence of military forces in the province.

- Nuclear weapons program. Maybe the cost and benefit of buliding nuclear weapons should be modeled as a decision?

Last edited:
It would be cool if you put economic decision based on the government ideology. For example Invest in National Infrastructure could be available only if the government is not Market Liberal (you know, laissez-faire economy).

That is exactly what i did. :)

Some more generic decisions;

"Secret Military Research" - for pariah states such as the Soviet Union or Weimar Germany (treaty of Rapallo.) Or for Kaiserreich states such as France or Romania.
- effects, maybe a tech boost/blueprint or research bonus while in effect. Malus - a possible 'exposed!' event and a casus belli/dow from allied powers. And/or dissent hit.
"Captured by doctrine" - Prewar decisions reflecting the influence given to various theories about the coming conflict and how it will be fought. Douhet, Guderian, Liddell Hart etc.
- Bonuses for tech research in one area, malus in another. Possible bonus in combat for one form, malus in another (e.g. strategic bombing +ve, bomber air to air -ve).
- possibly subsequent decisions triggered after war allowing correction.

-build engineering/military/research university (build infra somewhere random, give bonuses to the appropriate game modifer sectors)

i propose a funding, % of money put in infra results in speed of inre regain and infra speed building in every province in a year. 50% demand needed for normal regain, 100% needed for 5 infra in every prov per year gain (above 50% costs rise like in dissent control) and if its under 10% funding there will be no regain and actually you loose infra

Would be nice to have an decision to regulate marionette produktion/research like pazifist(no army), ground forces/air/marine/balanced focus. Its annoying to have marionettes who slow down the game speed spaming infantry. I think its could be an nice improvement.

special puppet nations and territorial decisions

What if we have some special puppet nations that only a few nations can sett up?
Germany can sett up general government in Poland ,the Italian social republic and maybe a fascist Moscow government.
Japan can have a japan-California-republic and Mengkukuo.
Yes I know those are not so generic...the only generic would be that all the major powers has the ability to form puppet-nations that only they can setup via decisions.
Soviet could have a soviet dominated Germany. I am not thinking of DDR, but if Soviet invaded Germany all alone very early and formed a soviet German puppet.
USA could have in some rare situations if at war Canada or Mexico sett up some USA dominated version of them.
UK could have a decisions to integrate the free French to the commonwealth if Germany win the war but UK manged to hold there Island. What about an Anglo dominated Irish republic if setting is like: UK is facsit not allied with France and controls Dublin.
France hmm we are speaking here rare and a bit weird, very what if situations, a spacial variant of Quebec.
an other could be French Indochina.

Last edited:
- An option for the puppet states to revolt against their masters in order to break their puppet status.
- Options for improving the production of national resources (Energy, metal...).