• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yellowjacket

Captain
32 Badges
Aug 28, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Playing as Russia my first time on 1.2

Why is such a huge portion of my income going to clipper convoys (really like 2/3 of my income or something)

I buy 'em up and use 'em as fast as I buy, and I'm not building any navies. Is it so expensive to ship stuff to Alaska? Nothing seems to reduce my demand. What gives?

Clipper conveys are a supply that is consumed by Man o Wars and frigates. If you check your navy, you will see that Russia has a huge navy, and it demands plenty of clippers.

As Russia, I tend to just turn off any purchasing of clippers for the first few years. The huge fleet is nice, but it is too costly to maintain while at peace. And by the time I am rich enough to afford it, it is time to build ironclads anyway.

Is it so expensive to ship stuff to Alaska?
Basically, yes. As far as I know, the clipper convoy represents shipping, so if you're shipping a lot of stuff to far flung provinces, it's going to cost you. It's the same reason that when a nation goes to war overseas, its military costs are going to soar, because it's having to pay for the same stuff its always had to (food, ammunition, etc.), but then it has to ship them across the ocean.

If its eating up a lot of your budget, I'd suggest lowering your national stockpile slider, just make sure to bump it all the way back up if you plan on going to war.

OK, secret, I think that is the issue. I don't have any troops in alaska. I run with stockpile at 25% during peacetime, and still, seems like a ridiculously high amount of money. Also sucks that I have to go horribly into debt to get my troops in fighting condition... perhaps I should just disband the lot :p

You don't need to lower your overall stockpile purchase fund below 100%. Go to trade page, select clipper convoys, disable ai control, manually set your purchase amount equal to your oversea maintenance demand. Now voila, your ships can safely rot in ports while your budget floats and all other sections get good funding. There is no point to supply your ships except when they are about to sail into battle, anyways. In the same sense, you can manually shut down purchase of artilleries, small arms and canned foods if you don't plan to use your army in near future.

The problem of shutting down all war material purchase is that it will lead your factory producing those goods to bankruptcy. Sudsing them can get even more costly than keeping them running to buy the goods. Personally, I think having a national armament industry during war time is very important. Even if some goods are available on the world market, you might not be able to get them as fast as needed to make your troops able to fight properly. You can still rely on artisans but it's a very risky bet. Personally I prefer to let my artisans work on unprofitable goods for factory like fertilizer, ammunition or explosives. Russia have a big army witch enable you to get a few small arm factory witch are very profitable. The case of clipper convoy is tricky since this good is only profitable for the first 10 years then it become useless. Shutting down purchase for this one is fine but I would certainly not stop purchasing small arm, artillery or Steamer.