Darkest Hour December Special - December 10th

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tuore

Caramelised Utopian
76 Badges
Mar 16, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Island Bound
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Today you get to see some 1914 screens. I decided to post a picture of the Persian Gulf, since it is IMO one of the most accurate areas border-wise. The province borders fit just about every border change in the 20th century.

darkesthour201012100808.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the ME seems so small and squished! But I think its becuase I'm used to the vanilla HoI2 map :p

Every border change you say? What about the Aqaba-random desert exchange between Jordan and Saudi Arabia in 1965? Saudi Arabia received a large inland desert area while Jordan was granted an extra 18 kilometers of coastline. I can't really see this properly on that map, but I suspect your map does not reflect the border as it was before the land exchange.

Looking forward to this. Would I be right in saying that Cyprus is divided into two provinces? Even E3 didn't have that level of detail, despite including a province for Transnistria!

Edit: also - is the Caspian sea now a proper sea rather than a lake? I see it has multiple sea provinces in it. If it is now a sea with ports, is there a link to the Black sea via the Volga?

Last edited:
I have plenty of time to nitpick. And you have plenty of time to mock me. I did not just write it just for the purpose of proving someone wrong, I did it for the purpose of throwing in a little suggestion for an improvement to the map, righting a wrong is secondary and not important. Mocking people for not overwhelming the developers with praise (even though they sure deserve it!) creates a cold and inhospitable atmosphere in this forum, feedback and suggestions is much more important than encouragement, which I don't think they are in short supply of in this thread.

If we are going to nit-pick he did state that it does fit "just about every", which implies that it fits the vast majority but not all. :rolleyes:

ain't true in that regard.

indicates that he was incorrect in the case of the 1965 Saudi-Jordani land exchange, so that is the "regard" I am referring to, it does not indicate that the actual statement "about all" is incorrect. Yes the English language can be incredibly unclear and complicated.

I like this kind of discussions (nitpicking each other), but not when they don't turn bitter, so I hope you will all receive it well. The people involved with DH in particular, the last thing I want to do is to offend any of you or discourage you, but I admit that what I said can be misinterpreted as rude, but my intentions are good and this map is superior to anything else that has been created for a game. But in my opinion you should never give up and say something is perfect and shouldn't be improved when you have the chance to improve something with limited effort, never mind how minimal the improvement is. It is not that I will make a big deal out of it if you ignore my little suggestion. If you believe there are better things to spend developing time on, then please do so, because an outsider like me has very little of an insight into what is worthwhile for you or not.

Last edited:
is the yellowish long strip of land a puppet of the ottoman empire? cause i think the ottomans controlled the area in 1914

There were several regions which were only officially subject to Ottoman Rule, while in reality they were fully independent entities.

There were several regions which were only officially subject to Ottoman Rule, while in reality they were fully independent entities.
It should be a puppet or at least allied with the Ottomans in 1914, but not outright controlled (Sayyid Hussein bin Ali was appointed by the Ottomans as the Sharif of Mecca in 1908) and their were seperate Ottoman garrisons in the area as well but the Sharif will historically revolt and join the entente in 1916 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Revolt).