+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magna Mundi Developer's Diary #4: POWER RANK: THE INTANGIBLE OF DIPLOMACY

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Sure. Master Helius will give his lecture when the time comes.
    Nice. One of the many things to look forward to.
    They are made of wood with cushions.
    Are they silk-covered and are they sufficiently comfy? (Sufficiently comfy to please the average holy roman noble butt?)

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus View Post
    It's an interesting decision to make this percentage-based. So, if I'm, say, Hesse and #30 with 200 nations in the world and some OPM in India gets annexed I get bumped out of Major Power status even if hardly anyone in Europe knows India exists yet?
    Exactly. This is a general rank and entirely designed like that on purpose.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by Arbus View Post
    Ah right I missed this part: "The seven bigger countries classified as Major Powers will instead be classified as Greater Powers, as long as the total sum of their score is equal to or greater than a certain (high) amount." So this trigger means there are either 7 Greater Powers or none.
    No. Any Major power that passes the absolute score needed to ascend to Greater Power will do so. A maximum of 7 Greater Powers can exist at a time.

I asked for the interface because in the mod there are values for the alignment of the greater powers, like France might be allied with Russia against England and Austria, and then there would be another axis with the remaining 3 powers allied or not. I suppose we can see a ledger with the classification of all countries, and the interface would just help to see the minor allies of a coalition.
    Greater Powers per se have nothing more to them than a Minor Holding (other than they are, indeed, much more powerful). I picked seven probably because it's the number of Great Powers existing in my favourite boardgame (Empires in Arms).
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    Are they silk-covered and are they sufficiently comfy? (Sufficiently comfy to please the average holy roman noble butt?)
    It depends on the ammount of redbull available.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

It depends on the ammount of redbull available.
    I challenge the implication there might be any correlation between aviation inducing concoctions and comfy cushions. That would be silly.

BL-logic
    Event Scripter
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

No. Any Major power that passes the absolute score needed to ascend to Greater Power will do so. A maximum of 7 Greater Powers can exist at a time.
    Ok now I really understand I thougth it would be the sum of the top seven that had to exceed a certain amount.

You also mentioned that it will be an important trigger for scripts, can you give an example?

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Arbus View Post
    Ok now I really understand I thougth it would be the sum of the top seven that had to exceed a certain amount.

You also mentioned that it will be an important trigger for scripts, can you give an example?

Well, as important as the scripter wants to use it, but given the fact it was used 1273 in the mod, it is certainly VERY important.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Why wasn't Jerusalem in that list?
    Hm. I mean, it was diminishing in importance by that period, I suppose.
    Last edited by PenguinOverlord; 11-12-2010 at 06:50.

Very impressive. I see the interface has improved dramatically since the last time I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOverlord View Post
    Why wasn't Jerusalem in that list?
    Hm. I mean, it was diminishing in importance by that period, I suppose.
    Yeah, it became rather unimportant by the start date of the game. No more zealous crusades.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

How will a player perceive other nations' standing? Just the plain status and ranking number, with the more detailed stats uncovered by spy missions?

I totally overlooked the great new logo. I still use a miniature replica astrolabe keyring made by the Naval Museum in Madrid, I think it's one of the most beautiful technical implements ever made.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    How will a player perceive other nations' standing? Just the plain status and ranking number, with the more detailed stats uncovered by spy missions?
    You'll see at all times other countries' Power Level. As for particular rankings you'll need to be infiltrated in the particular area and if you are infiltrated in all areas, you'll have de final ranking also.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Some of these factors effect things negatively right?

Like war exhaustion?... and does number of cultures give a bonus or a malus? because presumably ethnic homogeneity would give a (small) bonus.

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    Some of these factors effect things negatively right?

Like war exhaustion?... and does number of cultures give a bonus or a malus? because presumably ethnic homogeneity would give a (small) bonus.
    Yes, some give a malus.

Cultural diversity gives a bonus.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

This all looks very nice. Though I am a bit surprised by Karbala beating Jerusalem to the list. While I understand its significance to the Shiite peoples, I don't believe that it is any more holy than Najaf. Jerusalem, on the other hand, bore a religious significance to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish peoples (though, admittedly, the Christians in particular were unlikely to be so attached to Jerusalem as the Shiites were and are their holy sites.)

Just a quick (and possibly unnecessary) comment: I'm not entirely sure I understand the title of this DD. While I've played MM for years and am thoroughly attached to it (and am keen to buy the game the day it comes out) I can imagine a newcomer might be a little bemused by the title. Ubik, did you perhaps mean "The Intangibility of Diplomacy?" Seems like a bit of an odd title, as neatly ranking all of the nations in order seems to make diplomacy more tangible. But Lord knows, it's really not that big of a deal.

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Garriath View Post
    This all looks very nice. Though I am a bit surprised by Karbala beating Jerusalem to the list. While I understand its significance to the Shiite peoples, I don't believe that it is any more holy than Najaf. Jerusalem, on the other hand, bore a religious significance to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish peoples (though, admittedly, the Christians in particular were unlikely to be so attached to Jerusalem as the Shiites were and are their holy sites.)

Just a quick (and possibly unnecessary) comment: I'm not entirely sure I understand the title of this DD. While I've played MM for years and am thoroughly attached to it (and am keen to buy the game the day it comes out) I can imagine a newcomer might be a little bemused by the title. Ubik, did you perhaps mean "The Intangibility of Diplomacy?" Seems like a bit of an odd title, as neatly ranking all of the nations in order seems to make diplomacy more tangible. But Lord knows, it's really not that big of a deal.
    LOL!

Well, my english mastery leaves much to be desired... I though that intangible related to Power Rank could be used.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

This all looks very nice. Though I am a bit surprised by Karbala beating Jerusalem to the list. While I understand its significance to the Shiite peoples, I don't believe that it is any more holy than Najaf.
    I think Najaf is in the Karbala province in the game (if the province setup didn't change there).

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sorry to disagree, but it seemed perfectly apropos, to me. "Power Rank", or "importance" or "clout", however you wish to put it, is a major intangible influence on diplomacy. Ranking nations thus does make it "tangible", of course, but such a mechanism is needed only because the player, unlike government functionaries IRL, is not constantly immersed in the day-to-day conversations where the perceptions of such "Power Rank" are formed.

If anything, my only worry is that the objective list makes the rank too 'tangible'. What the team is trying to quantify, here, is subjective, I think, and might benefit from being formulated for each nation based on (a) the objective measures as already described, (b) the geographic proximity of the target nation to the nation's population centres and (c) the cultural preferences of the assessing country (e.g. monarcies value military might, merchant republics value trade strength, etc.).
    Balesir.
    ======
    Arsenal of Democracy - Hearts of Iron 2 on steroids...

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Balesir View Post
    If anything, my only worry is that the objective list makes the rank too 'tangible'. What the team is trying to quantify, here, is subjective, I think, and might benefit from being formulated for each nation based on (a) the objective measures as already described, (b) the geographic proximity of the target nation to the nation's population centres and (c) the cultural preferences of the assessing country (e.g. monarcies value military might, merchant republics value trade strength, etc.).

It gets intangible again as you will not know the rank of other countries and the said rank will be used internally for many, many different effects in terms of game mechanics, thus, hidden from the player again.

You'll only see the rank once you finish the scenario.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It gets intangible again as you will not know the rank of other countries and the said rank will be used internally for many, many different effects in terms of game mechanics, thus, hidden from the player again.
    Will you get no idea of other countries rankings? Some sort of "fuzzy blob" with a size related to rank might be good - just to give a guide whether this guy is a "big player" or a "little fish"?
    Balesir.
    ======
    Arsenal of Democracy - Hearts of Iron 2 on steroids...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast