• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wise Strategist

First Lieutenant
78 Badges
Aug 12, 2007
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
I was wondering, are there any special events or decisions for the start of the Mexican-American War and the Purchasing of the rest of New England and the Washington state from Great Briton?

There are no special events to start the Mexican American War. The UK has an infamy reducing and prestige increasing decision "Webster-Ashburton Treaty" that gives Caribou to the United States. Washington would need to be modded into the decision if you're concerned about the US AI and its inability to colonize the west coast before the UK and Russia. Similarly the event that purchases Alaska from does not give Oregon/Idaho over to the United States -- nor does it remove cores from Alaska. I believe that there are some modded decisions available in the mod forum that will correct these issues if the historical inaccuracy troubles you.

There is, however, a decision for the UK to sell the rest of New England to the USA.

To be fair, Russian Oregon is the most logical consequence of in-game mechanics. There is no competitor in central and east Asia, and arctic Siberia/Alaska/Canada offers little. So why not Oregon for Russia?

To be fair, Russian Oregon is the most logical consequence of in-game mechanics. There is no competitor in central and east Asia, and arctic Siberia/Alaska/Canada offers little. So why not Oregon for Russia?

Because its completely out the window regarding colonial expansion historically, and it happens to everyone when they post in game screenies, so its not even special, and it looks extremely out of place. Considering its an in game mechanic that repeats itself, I find it quite lame.

I agree it's ahistorical. The problem, though, is what prevents Russia settling Oregon from Alaska in real history, and why this factor is not represented in game. And if we want to mod it in, how to?

Without underlining mechanic changes, telling AI not to do that is just telling AI to be dumb.

In one game with the USA i managed to colonize oregon before Russia by ignoring oklahoma which i colonized afterwords the same trick didn't work with Washington the british were already all over that place and it took a bitter war to snatch it from their greedy paws

I agree it's ahistorical. The problem, though, is what prevents Russia settling Oregon from Alaska in real history, and why this factor is not represented in game. And if we want to mod it in, how to?

Without underlining mechanic changes, telling AI not to do that is just telling AI to be dumb.

Exactly. This game was designed in such a manner that special events shouldn't be needed for plausbile results; instead, the game mechanics should accurately reflect the factors that made RL history go the way it went.

In one game with the USA i managed to colonize oregon before Russia by ignoring oklahoma which i colonized afterwords the same trick didn't work with Washington the british were already all over that place and it took a bitter war to snatch it from their greedy paws

I usually do this with US: start coloizing Washington and Oregon first. Dispatch two dragoons from Florida one to each territory. The AI British or Russians never use the use of military in the colony to speed the process (at least on the North American west coast). I've never lost any of the colonizable "US" territories in this fashion. Now I agree with what was posted in other threads - I've never seen a Fremont decision in California to form the Bear Republic trigger. I'm sure it could - but I've never seen it. Same with Mexican-American War - I'd like to see that start with the Manifest Destiny decision not just the sour relations.

The issue with the Russian North America thing is that it happens in everyones game, unless the player intervenes. Its like I said, nothing special so its not even cool or funny. Id think it would fun if it happened like in some games, but in every single game Ive played since 1.2? Just plain silly. I like the history twisting in Victoria 2, but when it becomes predictable is when its stupid.

Is it possible to assign National Focus points prior to game start (as in when the scenario is started)? Perhaps if two of the United States' NFs were assigned to Oregon and Washington right away the AI would by default have the edge on colonizing those places (without human intervention). Alternatively, taking a page from VIP in Vic1, a Native American placeholder state, like Nez Perce, could control the states of Oregon and Washington from game start. If the United States were able to sphere Nez Perce it could then annex through the union tag.