• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

keynes2.0

Field Marshal
45 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
Playing as Sardinia, I come to Venice's rescue in the Austro-Hungarian restoration of order to the provinces... Austria put all their army into one doomstack and now it's gone. Despite this setback, they won't accept a white peace...

I make no claim to being an expert in military or diplomatic affairs but I believe that when one is fighting a war, an army is generally considered a pretty darn important thing to have.

Well, without the army, you should have no problems at all occupying their lands to get the peace you want, no?

You can understand his frustration, with a large country like Austria you have to occupy a pretty large amount of land, which takes time.

You can understand his frustration, with a large country like Austria you have to occupy a pretty large amount of land, which takes time.
Time which the diplo AI can (and will!) use to get in further allies who will then help in the war.

It's kinda an immersion breaker when 80% of the time spent waging a war is micromanaging to occupy undefended provinces from an enemy that stubbornly doesn't admit defeat.

Which has exactly how much basis in reality?
Happened to me at least twice. One of which was against Austria, I was happily spreading my armies to occupy the "beaten" Autrians (was playing Prussia) when Russia joined the war on Austria's side. I didn't realise at first, until Russia killed a quarter of my army piecemeal on Austrian territory.

Happened to me at least twice. One of which was against Austria, I was happily spreading my armies to occupy the "beaten" Autrians (was playing Prussia) when Russia joined the war on Austria's side. I didn't realise at first, until Russia killed a quarter of my army piecemeal on Austrian territory.

Which is just like how in the Franco-Prussian war after defeating the French army, the Prussians spread out evenly across mainland France and lost a lot of small armies before high command realized that the British had declared war...

How much basis in historical reality does this situation have?

edit: besides, if I haven't added any wargoals yet, other nations can't intervene in the war anyway.

How much historical basis does your situation of annihilating the entire Austrian army in a single battle have?

It's a game, you need to play along the rules of the game and adapt your playstyle to them. As posted above, if you had more battles, you'd have 25 WS more easily.

edit: besides, if I haven't added any wargoals yet, other nations can't intervene in the war anyway.
They didn't intervene. Austria managed to ally Russia and called upon their new allies to enter the war.

I didn't defeat them in a single battle. I defeated them in a series of battles over the course of a few months. Gee... it's not like that's exactly what happened in the Franco-Prussian, 7 weeks war, Texan war of Independence, Mexican American War, the Boshin War or Russo Japanese war.

Does anyone else remember in history class how the Russo-Japanese war only ended when the Japanese occupied St. Petersburg?

I didn't defeat them in a single battle. I defeated them in a series of battles over the course of a few months. Gee... it's not like that's exactly what happened in the Franco-Prussian, 7 weeks war, Texan war of Independence, Mexican American War, the Boshin War or Russo Japanese war.

Does anyone else remember in history class how the Russo-Japanese war only ended when the Japanese occupied St. Petersburg?
Not exactly like that, no, but that would have made things interesting!

Im still in awe as to why during my war with France, my "friend in relations " or the Austrians let the Ottomans have military access to help out France. -_-

Which has exactly how much basis in reality?
It makes sense if having your home territories devastated by foreign occupation doesn't actually hurt that much and doesn't really even make revolution or disorder more likely in your territory. The AI of a monarchy at war in V2 isn't terrified of losing its throne or whatever, and has no empathy for its subjects, no sense of duty to protect them, no concept of paternalism. Indeed, occupation of home provinces just tends to drive up its industrial score once peace has been made.
Which is just like how in the Franco-Prussian war after defeating the French army, the Prussians spread out evenly across mainland France and lost a lot of small armies before high command realized that the British had declared war...

A lot, actually: that's exactly what happened after Sedan, except the Prussians didn't lose their armies through good management and a decent bit of good fortune, and they managed to finish up the war before the British intervened.

If you really don't find the behaviour of the peace negotiating AI, you could just demand whatever you feel is reasonable and then tag-switch to them and accept. Some would call it cheating or an exploit, but the game is there for your entertainment so if you can justify doing, do it!

I have found that if you wait long enough, the ai gives you what you want. Like when Russia intervenes in your war, you don't have to capture half of Russia. You just have capture your objectives and wait. Russia will offer you numerous white peaces, but eventually it will give in. It could take several years though.

I love it when you add a wargoal and they consistently offer white peaces, then you add another and they start begging for a peace with the previous wargoal. Did this with Mexico as Texas numerous times, made me laugh every time.

I love it when you add a wargoal and they consistently offer white peaces, then you add another and they start begging for a peace with the previous wargoal. Did this with Mexico as Texas numerous times, made me laugh every time.

Yeah, they usually only want to give you everything you asked for but one goal. Like they're really trying to annoy you :)