+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Colonialism

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzmond View Post
    China starts the game with 400 million, so unless PI really screwed up with the initial pop levels I don't see how they could be down to 300m by 1872.
    Remember that they lost something like 30 million people in the Taiping rebellion. (And don't forget emigration.) Not that that would explain the difference in population as such, but no country will ever suffer such losses in Victoria 2, so populations are free to just grow and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by bitmapmedivh View Post
    Remember that they lost something like 30 million people in the Taiping rebellion. (And don't forget emigration.) Not that that would explain the difference in population as such, but no country will ever suffer such losses in Victoria 2, so populations are free to just grow and grow.
    Currently there is a built in modifier that reduces population growth by 0.02% when a province is occupied. The base population growth for a 35 liferating province is 0.11%, so that -0.02% is quite minimal (the figures are additive) and the province will continue to grow. We might consider raising that penalty in the future and adding a penalty on to a province under siege to simulate the devastation of war.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, I checked the population for China and according to my sources PI did a good job, as you can see over here:
    http://www.populstat.info/Asia/chinac.htm
    The HRE Revised Mod is a Holy Roman Empire and CKII balance mod aimed to stop want to be despot emperors in their tracks

Try the 3.4 version of the Age of Colonialism mod for Victoria II v1.4 beta 26 sept 2011

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight

Seems they didn't include the Taiping Rebels there in 1851-65. But what happened to the ~80 million in 66-67?
    Last edited by bitmapmedivh; 13-01-2011 at 21:22. Reason: numbers!

Seems they didn't include the Taiping Rebels there in 1851-65. But what happened to the ~80 million in 66-67?
    Looks like the 1866 number there is inaccurate. I can't imagine the population jumping 80 million in one year then falling 80 million the next.

Regardless, this is a sandbox game and you cannot expect population numbers to mimic reality, nor can you expect borders to mimic reality, nor can you expect the wars to play out as they did in reality. There are an infinite amount of permutations in this game and maybe some of them closely mimic reality, but chances are very slim of that actually happening.

We can somewhat guide the game through events and mechanics, making some things more likely than others, but we absolutely do not want to pigeon-hole the game into the same outcome every time. Doing so would ruin the game.
    Last edited by Rizzmond; 14-01-2011 at 01:08.

Seeing as this mod has branched out from it's early versions with new nations and event sequences, have you given any thought to modeling things such as Chinese treaty ports? (Qingdao, Weihaiwei, etc)

Seeing as this mod has branched out from it's early versions with new nations and event sequences, have you given any thought to modeling things such as Chinese treaty ports? (Qingdao, Weihaiwei, etc)
    Yes, we certainly may do so. I think our next version will have quite a few improvements to east Asia, including new new event chains for Japan leading to a war for Korea and more points of contention between the western world and China. I particularly want to see other nations besides Britain be interested in attacking China.

On the heels a lot of PDM play, I certainly had to re-adjust to the different economic model, but I really enjoy what you've done with this mod. Both certainly are very worthy of play.

Quote Originally Posted by sckallst View Post
    On the heels a lot of PDM play, I certainly had to re-adjust to the different economic model, but I really enjoy what you've done with this mod. Both certainly are very worthy of play.
    Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

This all sounds great. I'd like to install this and try but I never installed any mods before and since the instructions say I need to overwrite files I am wondering how this will affect the game when 1.3 comes out. Do I need to reinstall the game when 1.3 comes out? How do mods work in general?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by BandC View Post
    This all sounds great. I'd like to install this and try but I never installed any mods before and since the instructions say I need to overwrite files I am wondering how this will affect the game when 1.3 comes out. Do I need to reinstall the game when 1.3 comes out? How do mods work in general?
    You will need to reinstall if you already installed the mod. What I do is make a back up of my Vicky2 folder before I install the mod. That way you still have the normal game.

Mods are supposed to be placed in the mods folder so nothing is overwriten. Unfortunately, it is not working properly, so you have to overwrite the main files.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Better use the JSGME for now: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/sof...cts-jsgme.html
    It makes backups of your game when you apply the mod by this program, so you can easily revert back. However the cache file does needs to be replaced, I would advice just to rename the cache directory, which is located inside the map directory, to for example:"vanilla_cache" and copy paste the cache directory from the mod into the map directory of Victoria II.
    The HRE Revised Mod is a Holy Roman Empire and CKII balance mod aimed to stop want to be despot emperors in their tracks

Try the 3.4 version of the Age of Colonialism mod for Victoria II v1.4 beta 26 sept 2011

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Valley of lurkers, somewhere in western Norway
    I wonder if I might have got this wrong

The download link at the first page says 1.4 and so does the readmefile from the download. I tought I got 2.1 when I downloaded?

Could you please post the checksum for version 2.1?
    In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    I wonder if I might have got this wrong

The download link at the first page says 1.4 and so does the readmefile from the download. I tought I got 2.1 when I downloaded?

Could you please post the checksum for version 2.1?
    There is no readme in the v2.1 download. The correct checksum for v2.1 over vanilla 1.2 is AQHQ. The v1.4 download is merely for archival purposes. Hope this helps!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Valley of lurkers, somewhere in western Norway
    Ah, stupid me. I had it wrong...

Btw, have you considered any methode to curb the Brazilians and their apetite for a port on the west coast? And the British constantly attacking China via Burma?
    In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    Btw, have you considered any methode to curb the Brazilians and their apetite for a port on the west coast? And the British constantly attacking China via Burma?
    The next version will most likely include a series of events centered around the opium wars, which can hopefully direct British attention towards the annexation of Hong Kong. However, once Britain conquers Burma it make sense for them to attack China and seize Yunnan--it is certainly in their best interests and an extremely wealthy province. Keep in mind that colonies are much, much less powerful than in Vanilla and Britain taking a couple chinese regions will not terribly overpower it.

As to Brazil, I didn't have anything planned, but we are always open to ideas.

Now that we have been stickied, we're expanding! the discussion for age of colonialism has been divided up amongst a few threads.

Discussion for Age of Colonialism
    The discussion for AoC is divided up amongst a few threads.
    -For bug reports go here
    -For Event/Decision discussion go here
    -For gameplay & empire reports go here
    -For general feedback and everything else use this thread

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2

Sticky accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Better use the JSGME for now: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/sof...cts-jsgme.html
    It makes backups of your game when you apply the mod by this program, so you can easily revert back. However the cache file does needs to be replaced, I would advice just to rename the cache directory, which is located inside the map directory, to for example:"vanilla_cache" and copy paste the cache directory from the mod into the map directory of Victoria II.
    Thanks to both of you. Isn't the cache directory something the game recreates if it doesn't exist? Why wouldn't JSGME handle this, after all it makes a copy of everything and restores everything back right?

Thanks to both of you. Isn't the cache directory something the game recreates if it doesn't exist? Why wouldn't JSGME handle this, after all it makes a copy of everything and restores everything back right?
    Yes, the cache is recreated by the game, however some computers might not be very good at it (and some people neither), therefore we added it in the download.

I'm not sure whether JSGME handles it correctly. It might do that, but on the other hand it would mean a lot of waiting with JSGME if you have to remove and apply this mod with the cache included. But, then again I work on mods, so in my case I need to remove and add it many times. Just try whether it works and do what's easiest for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 36 ... LastLast