+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Colonialism

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    This is wrong in every respect.

Go into the common folder, open up 'on_actions', and look halfway down.

Then go back and remake your election events with extra ids on them, copy the localisations into a new file and re-release We CAN have as many as we desire

Thanks to Risa for the tip-off - I KNEW I'd seen this somewhere
    Good find! I'll wait for 1.3 to do this as I'm adding a bunch more election events.

Politicans getting money for election campaign from enemy/unfriendly nation. Be it whatever party at all.
    - saying it's true and should be investigated results in loss of support for that party and mil up
    - denying it more mil and conc up

Debate turns into brawl
    - liberals walk out with black eye, support for conservs up
    - conservs walk out with black eye

Political march turns violent
    - subdue them (or gun them down)- mil up a lot
    - let them have their fun - that party support up, temp liferating down (that is possible, right?)
    These are some good ideas. I shouldn't use conservatives vs liberals for the lower house elections though, It has to stick to issues like "laissez-faire".
    Last edited by Rizzmond; 22-12-2010 at 19:27.

Allow me to save you a little time

Fully localised, updated election events, in a separate file from the originals, complete with updated on_actions.txt. Oh, and I tested it, and it works like a dream
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Allow me to save you a little time

Fully localised, updated election events, in a separate file from the originals, complete with updated on_actions.txt. Oh, and I tested it, and it works like a dream
    Thanks very much!

Off-topic: I was shocked to read in your intermod brainstorming thread that you had solved the demand vs actual bought problem for luxury goods. Sure enough I loaded up PDM and you had done it. I'd like to implement a lower pricing scheme for luxury goods for AOC with credits to you for the idea, with your permission of course.

But of course Tho I warn you, the economy is hell on Earth to work with... That's why it took me 130 versions to do it.

And lowering prices should actually be credited to Valentin II, as he's the one who came up with the idea in the first place.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Version 1.3 is out! Just in time for the holidays.

Changelog:
    v1.3
    -added in decisions for every farming advancement for immediate implementation in capital. Your capital region will always be at the pinnacle of your tech. (thanks to Risa for the idea)
    -added new election events (thanks to badger_ken and hjarg for ideas, thanks to Risa for showing me how to trigger custom IDs)
    -slightly reformated and renamed farming mechanization inventions
    -tweaked a couple economic things to give realistic and meaningful supply/demand/actual-bought (this means AI won't spam factories that don't make any money)
    -integrated chann's v10 fixpack
    -removed a couple changes I made to events (decided they were unnecessary)

This update is pretty substantial. You can watch a little video below for a demonstration of the balanced supply/demand/actual-bought along with a glimpse of a new election event. Full screen and change to 720p to make text readable.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I just bought this game. This looks like a perfect balancing mod.
    "Moral issues are always terribly complex for someone without principles." - G.K. Chesterton

I forgot to mention that I don't think savegames will work with the previous version, so finish your 1.2 game first if you want to before starting a 1.3 game.
    Last edited by Rizzmond; 25-12-2010 at 08:11.

After noticing that countries like Spain, the Netherlands, Ottomans, and others were disbanding their warships at the beginning of the game and not really building any new ones (both in vanilla and AoC) I did some investigating. The results of this investigation are quite shocking, I'm very surprised Paradox screwed up so bad regarding supply costs.

Currently, as it stands in vanilla and AoC (I haven't touched the supply costs in any version thus far) the costs for maintaining ships are absolutely astronomical. Every country, bar France and the UK, is forced to disband their warships in the beginning of the game or drive themselves into bankruptcy.

Here are some supply cost comparisons (based on base price):

Frigate supply consumption:
    clipper_convoy = 0.16
    artillery = 0.08

Base price*consumption:
    6.72+4.8=11.52

Infantry supply consumption:
    small_arms = 0.008
    canned_food = 0.04

Base price*consumption:
    0.296+0.64=0.936

This means that one infantry regiment of 3k men takes a base cost of $0.936 every month to keep it fully supplied. On the other hand one frigate, the smallest and lowest tech warship takes $11.52.

This means supporting one frigate is the same costs as 36,000 infantry!

The comparison only gets more absurd at higher level ships. Take the ironclad for example:

ironclad:
    steamer_convoy = 0.32
    artillery = 0.192
    canned_food = 0.4

Base price*consumption:
    20.8+11.52+6.4=38.72

That means for one ironclad you could support a 124,000 man army!

I'd say these values border on game-breaking for some countries. The AI simply doesn't understand how much of a hit these navies are costing them. Egypt simply disbands all but a few thousand troops to support two useless frigates. The Ottomans break their economy supporting a small transport fleet. Spain can barely support a tiny army with a small transport fleet.

I really didn't want to go in and mess with unit supply costs, but this was just too broken. I've adjusted the supply cost values in the following attachment and am contemplating including it in 1.4. The results of the a playtest through 1890 were very promising, navy/army ratios were much more realistic and countries weren't driving themselves into bankruptcy to support a small transport fleet. Even though I've quartered ship supply costs and very slightly raised land unit supply cost I feel that I've been too conservative with the adjustments. I desperately would like some feedback on these adjustments. I've attached the files to the post, just extract it to your Victoria 2/units directory and overwrite the existing files.
    Attached Files

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

I suspect VRRP/PDM would have tackled this issue by now, I suggest looking for their responses given they would have been thoroughly tested.

Both PDM and VRRPslashed naval maintainence from the vanilla levels, as they're absurd. However, given both of them also have significantly different economies from AOC, it's not directly transferrable - while Rizz can see we've all lowered maintainence, he needs to calibrate it precisely, and can't just borrow our unit files. Hell, PDM's require goods that don't even exist in AOC

Both PDM and VRRPslashed naval maintainence from the vanilla levels, as they're absurd. However, given both of them also have significantly different economies from AOC, it's not directly transferrable - while Rizz can see we've all lowered maintainence, he needs to calibrate it precisely, and can't just borrow our unit files. Hell, PDM's require goods that don't even exist in AOC
    Very much so. Unlike VRRP and PDM, I'm trying to keep AoC as close to the base vanilla economy as possible while making it playable. It is a different modding philosophy.

I am very pleased with the slight changes made to the economy in 1.3 as they fixed the supply/demand issues with luxury goods and military supplies. As it stands right now, with the minimum modding philosophy in mind, I see no reason to make further changes to the economy. Adding factories, changing their inputs, and altering RGOs is not on the agenda.

Keeping the same philosophy in mind when changing the supply costs, the goods involved in supply upkeep are not being changed. Only the ratios are being altered to bring it into a balanced state.

I respect the work Naselus has done on PDM. It is a labor of love that is quite accomplished. If the player is looking for more complexity in their Victoria experience I would suggest they get PDM. AoC, on the other hand, is for the player which is looking for balance in the game without added complexity.

Europa Universalis IV

Just one little hitch I noticed, I fired up AoC for the first time (running 1.3) and my in-game settings are turned to display all decisions made by nations (in vanilla this equates to approximately one every ~5-10 years), however at game-start I was spammed by literally every nation on Earth (except for GB & France enacting it a day later) enabling the starting Agricultural decision which is supposed to cost 500.000 pounds, even though I was able to enact it as Iraq who start off with literally no funds, and I wasn't forced to take any loans or any other sort of penalty :S

Is there anyway for me to remove that decision spam without actually having to alter the game settings, and is that intended for every Nation in existence to be able to enact this decision at game-start?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzmond View Post
    Very much so. Unlike VRRP and PDM, I'm trying to keep AoC as close to the base vanilla economy as possible while making it playable. It is a different modding philosophy.
    I am glad you have this philosophy.

I will use this mod after I finish my first game.
    "Moral issues are always terribly complex for someone without principles." - G.K. Chesterton

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane

re broken supply costs - yessirree bob, this bit me mightily in my Denmark game. I was told this was a "fix" that they put in in 1.2 to reduce the UKs proclivity for building ridiculously large fleets, but clearly they didn't think of the effect on other countries
    Author of the CK2 Matchmaker - a tool that analyzes your save-games to help you find that perfect noble.

Author of the Victoria2 advisor - a tool that analyzes your save-games and gives you useful info.

Author of Vic2 AARs for China, Switzerland, Denmark, Persia and Mexico.
    EU3 AARs for Venice and Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoverMan View Post
    Just one little hitch I noticed, I fired up AoC for the first time (running 1.3) and my in-game settings are turned to display all decisions made by nations (in vanilla this equates to approximately one every ~5-10 years), however at game-start I was spammed by literally every nation on Earth (except for GB & France enacting it a day later) enabling the starting Agricultural decision which is supposed to cost 500.000 pounds, even though I was able to enact it as Iraq who start off with literally no funds, and I wasn't forced to take any loans or any other sort of penalty :S

Is there anyway for me to remove that decision spam without actually having to alter the game settings, and is that intended for every Nation in existence to be able to enact this decision at game-start?
    This is WAD. Practically every nation starts out with water-wheel power generation, and I set the AI to trigger the decision to build it in the capital at the first chance they get, meaning the first day of the game.

If you want to disable it change the factor = 1 to factor = 0 under the ai_will_do here in the RGO_decisions.txt:

Code:
    political_decisions = {
    	capital_water_wheel_power = {
    		potential = {
    			water_wheel_power = 1
    			capital_scope = {
    				NOT = {
    					has_province_modifier = local_water_wheel_power 
    					has_province_modifier = local_practical_steam_engine 
    					has_province_modifier = local_high_n_low_pressure_steam_engines 
    					has_province_modifier = local_steam_turbine 
    					has_province_modifier = local_combustion_engine 
    					has_province_modifier = local_primitive_electrical_power_generation 
    					has_province_modifier = local_advanced_electrical_power_generation 
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		allow = {
    		}
    		effect = {
    			capital_scope = {
    				state_scope = {
    					any_owned = {
    						add_province_modifier = {
    							name = local_water_wheel_power
    							duration = -1
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    			treasury = -500
    		}
    		ai_will_do = {
    			factor = 1
    		}
    	}
    }
    I would suggest just changing your message settings for the first day of the game though. As for the decision being triggerable with less than $500, I'll look into changing that for 1.4. It's not a big deal though as the decision cost is really chump-change for flavor.

The decisions are there to help nations get the effect of technology emanating out from the capital to the rest of the nation. It also helps to provide a reason for illiterate and backwards one-state-minors to research farming tech, as they would possibly have to wait many years to see any effect otherwise.
    Last edited by Rizzmond; 27-12-2010 at 07:11.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Playing AoC 1.3 now (Prussia). Great experience, by the way, but I see the "rebels-tsunami" back to Victoria (my last experience with vanilla 1.2 was a real improvement in comparison to V2 release version). In the other hand, AI countries seem to find real problems to build their industry score. I'll try to get some time and make a report about my game.

Besides these points, congratulations (again) for the mod
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by ashandresash View Post
    Playing AoC 1.3 now (Prussia). Great experience, by the way, but I see the "rebels-tsunami" back to Victoria (my last experience with vanilla 1.2 was a real improvement in comparison to V2 release version). In the other hand, AI countries seem to find real problems to build their industry score. I'll try to get some time and make a report about my game.

Besides these points, congratulations (again) for the mod
    Thanks

Industry scores are a bit lower across the board because of proper supply/demand for luxury and military goods. No longer are the prices for those artificially inflated by fake demand. However, it shouldn't be too much of a difference from vanilla. If you could post a couple screens of the great power page at various stages of the game it'll give me a good idea of how the progression is working.

As for the rebels, I haven't touched rebel values at all from the vanilla levels. In my current 1.3 game up to 1894 Prussia hasn't seen a single revolution. Are you seeing the revolutions as Prussia or other AIs having revolutions? (However, I did see France reactionaries successfully revolt and revert France back to an absolute monarchy which was pretty cool!)

Europa Universalis IV

Just a couple of hiccups I've notices: I'm not sure what changes you've made to the military supplies, but apparently I now need Cattle to recruit a Regular infantry unit, however, playing as an unciv nation it has been stuck waiting to buy up the resource for over 10 years now (stuck at 0.00/9.00 Cattle) and Britain generally seems to be far stronger in AoC than your Colonial Development mod (the British AI is acting very much as it did in vanilla in regard to China etc)
    Last edited by RedRoverMan; 28-12-2010 at 15:41.

Europa Universalis IV

Unfortunately this has a reached a point where the game is unplayable, I literally can't raise troops even though all my neighbors seem to be able to do so (Egypt, Turks & Perisa, though they are in RUS SoI).

Is there a way I can take out the economic tweaks you introduced in 1.3?

This a screeny just so you can see the problem i am relating to:

The only troops I actually have are the original six regiments that defected to me from the OE at game-start, I currently have three units queued (none of which can gather any cattle)

Well, the changing of technology to a gradual spread and not much advancement in the colonies drastically cut back on all RGO goods. Cattle, in particular, have been affected because they have the lowest abundance to start with and many of their spots start out as colonies (canada for example). Since I changed unit buying prices (not supply cost) from finished goods to RGO goods to create an accurate supply/demand model (something was completely screwed up with the demand prices when the AI would queue up tons of units it couldn't afford to raise) I added in cattle as one of the replacements. So, if you're on the absolute bottom of the totem pole for buying resources you're going to get screwed on getting any cattle if there's none in your nation.

This is a quick fix which shouldn't have any real reprecussions. Tell me how it works out. Extract this to your "Victoria 2/common" folder and overwrite the existing production_types.txt file.
    Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 28 ... LastLast