+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crash After Start?

Crash After Start?

Info List
    --------------------------------------
    1. What expansions do you have?-- EUIII:Complete and HTTT, Version 4.1b

2. What version of WWM you are using?-- 4.01

3. Is crash in-game or on loading?-- Ingame.

4. How many days go by in game before crash?-- 2 days or so, After I get the first couple pop ups and I try to pause the game

5. Any abnormal text; "noRuler", "noGovernment", or craziness etc.-- Yes, in the European Union Decision, the "Send Delegate to Pope" decision and some leader names for the new countries

6. Have YOU done any customizations yourself? If so, what?-- Nope, nothing.

7. What have you tried to resolve the problem?-- I tried changing the defines.txt file like they said to do here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ase-pop-growth

8. What WWM options do you have on? (Less Countries, Hand Drawn Map)-- I turned off Hand Drawn Map, and I do NOT have Less Countries checked.

I'm out of ideas, and I cant seem to find any other solutions or similar crashes amongst the current threads

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I order to make WWM compatible with the beta patch, you must do more than simply modify the defines.txt.

There isn't any reason WWM modified to run the beta patch, shouldn't be able to run the newest patch. (Since it just came live)

Most likely, any issue you're having will be resilved shortly as WWM is currently being worked on to issue a new release that will be compatible with the newest patch.

You might have to wait a week or two. Most WWM team member are college students and depending on which college, either just had finals, are currently having finals, or will have finals next week.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDark View Post
    There isn't any reason WWM modified to run the beta patch, shouldn't be able to run the newest patch. (Since it just came live)
    This is not always true for mods with the last patch. The newest patch will not work with several mods including my own, MEIOU, and The Dark Years. Gigau has filed a bug report relating to this. At the same time it does work correctly with TN.

Currently the fix for the mods that don't run is to update the mod to the last patch then replace the latest exe with the 4-29 exe.

Has someone successfully run WWM with the latest patch?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I do not make statements out of ignorance. I have gotten both the current release of WWM to work with the beta patch (I wrote the tutorials for it) and have seen it work without any modification, with the latest patch.

Currently, the internal beta of WWM is not officially compatible with the latest patch. However, I had investigated and resolved several compatibility issues and do have a working copy of it with the latest patch installed. In a fashion. Using the EXE provided in the beta patch instead of the exe of the latest patch, mods will run as they were before, with the new patch features added in as well.

Someone on the forums somewhere (I know vague right?) mentioned that he had narrowed down the problem to being in the GFX folder of the mods. I believe this may be the case via a specific replacement file type but have not investigated further.

But currently, the current version of WWM modified to be beta patch compatible (follow my tutorials on this very forum) has started up just fine for me.

But currently, the current version of WWM modified to be beta patch compatible (follow my tutorials on this very forum) has started up just fine for me.
    Thank you very much! I tried it and so far so good. I appreciate your help, it really made me day today.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

I do not make statements out of ignorance.
    I am sorry if I came across wrong. I was simply interested to learn for sure if the mod worked with the final patch as I am trying to learn which mods work and which mods don't.

Currently, the internal beta of WWM is not officially compatible with the latest patch. However, I had investigated and resolved several compatibility issues and do have a working copy of it with the latest patch installed.
    Would you share the compatibility issues you found please?

Someone on the forums somewhere (I know vague right?) mentioned that he had narrowed down the problem to being in the GFX folder of the mods. I believe this may be the case via a specific replacement file type but have not investigated further.
    I think there is a post in the SRI thread indicating a graphic problem with the final patch. However, with MEIOU and my mod it appears to be something else as they still crash with the graphics removed and at this point I understand Gigau has removed everything he can and MEIOU still crashes. MM runs but apparently has icons etc not showing up like they did with the beta. We have a active bug report on the new patch and hopefully Paradox will do some testing.

For compatibility issues, I use diff merge to compare EVERY file in the common folder of the mod to the main game. Any missing items are added and conflicts rectified accordingly.

After that, decisions and events are checked. In WWM's case, ROM is the tag for Romania, but the devs added Romania in using RMN. Events that WWM does nt override and includes Romania, thus had to be fixed. This isn't from the new patch, but is an example of the things I look for.

I cannot say exactly what features of the newest patch are required to be looked at directly as WWM in the current state (not IB state), does not fully integrate all features of HttT yet, so some things were from there.

I've been trying out the EU3 validator as a guide in looking for areas that may need looking into. Has been very useful.

I do not believe that the entire issue with crashing is GFX related. Instead, I think there may be a few areas of trouble. However, without being able to open the exe (as a programmer to look at code), I cannot make a for sure statement. And I do not have the time to tediously remove file by file or group of files or folders to full test he he.

Surely if I find some sort of breakthrough, I'll share it with the community!

For compatibility issues, I use diff merge to compare EVERY file in the common folder of the mod to the main game. Any missing items are added and conflicts rectified accordingly.

After that, decisions and events are checked. In WWM's case, ROM is the tag for Romania, but the devs added Romania in using RMN. Events that WWM does nt override and includes Romania, thus had to be fixed. This isn't from the new patch, but is an example of the things I look for.

I cannot say exactly what features of the newest patch are required to be looked at directly as WWM in the current state (not IB state), does not fully integrate all features of HttT yet, so some things were from there.

I've been trying out the EU3 validator as a guide in looking for areas that may need looking into. Has been very useful.

I do not believe that the entire issue with crashing is GFX related. Instead, I think there may be a few areas of trouble. However, without being able to open the exe (as a programmer to look at code), I cannot make a for sure statement. And I do not have the time to tediously remove file by file or group of files or folders to full test he he.

Surely if I find some sort of breakthrough, I'll share it with the community!
    The reason I have been asking so many questions is that both Gigau and myself can get our mods to work with all the final patch files except the exe and therefore it appeared to us the exe was the problem. Gigau reported this in a bug thread and yesterday Captain Gars ( Paradox Dev Team ) - on a preliminary basis subject to more testing - found a possible problem with mods having more than a certain number of provinces failing to load with the final patch. For your information see the following post

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post11879389
    Last edited by 17blue17; 09-12-2010 at 20:01.

I had seen the post yes. And as I said, I cannot make ANY statement on problems with the exe without actually being able to see to make-up of the exe, as the devs get to. I will always defer to their judgement on a big rather than my own speculation.

Me simply citing what the first person to actually look into this bug mentioned a s apossible reason for the crash (roughly the same day they mentioned it and shortly after release) is hardly a set in stone statement, and also I am not required, at all, for any reason to defend it. I am puzzled as to why you pressure me to defend what happened to be the ONLY explaination at the time for why some mods weren't working, especially since it was not my explaination. I have even mentioned specifically that I had not looked into that proposal further.

From what I've read, the exe itself has always been under scrutiny for this bug. And now for what I know as a programmer, is that such a bug could result in a great number of random behaviors that could lead a debugger, such as those on the forums, to many different places. Without debugging information gathered via the proper tools from the exe directly, there's little hope that anyone would ever find the root cause of this issue.

DanaDark

Please forgive me for not being clear. It was not my intention to cause you any problems or press you in any way. My simple intent was to find out if the WWM was one of the mods that failed completely to load when using the final exe and to share information. Nothing more.

I apologize if my posts were not clear and gave a different impression. I know from reading your past posts that you have a great deal of knowledge about the game and I valued your opinion.

Best Wishes

Using the current version WWM with the modifications I made to make it compatible with the beta patch, listed in detail here, it loads fine using the latest patch.

Using the Internal Beta of WWM, using the latest released patch, does NOT load. It crashes at "creating text". However, replacing the exe with the 4/29 beta patch exe, it works fine. While this would indicate to most that perhaps the eexe iis at fault, there is actually no evidence to logically support that from this simple act. (This iis coming from my programming perspective)

Yet, given that devs themselves have begun looking into the exe and noting oddities, now that is a good reason to suspect the exe then.

And I am sorry that I also misinterpeted your questions. I do not wish to make you feel uncomfortable. But rest assured, if I was annoyed, irritated, bothered, or insulted, I probably wouldn't respond. You do modding, and that commands a certain level of respect among the community, which I surely will, do, and have given.

the best advice I could offer at the moment would be to make a copy of the exe right now (with a different name) and just use the 4/29 beta patch exe. I have noticed no bugs while using it, and have noticed new features. Beyond that, my hands are tied. While I do actually have the same developement program the devs use, and have working knowledge of using it (I am a computer scientist student) but am not going to even begin hacking into the EXE due to the legal ramifications.

The only real changes between the current version of WWM and the IB of it are some extra files in the GFX folder (which was the first suspecT) and increased provinces. The increased provinces fits perfectly with the Dev suspicion of an error in the max regional province density. Thus, am inclined to agree with the devs for multiple reasons. If this is indeed it, then there is literally nothing to be done besides wait.

+ Reply to Thread