• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You cannot remove countries from your SoI.

that's silly isnt it? I mean what if Saxony insulted his country and he wishes for the person drawn, quartered, and hung. But Saxony doesn't!?

Yeah, that kinda bugs me. I mean, it's not often that you actually want to remove a country from your sphere, but when you do... it's frustrating.

In 1.2, it seems that one actually CAN remove a country from sphere of influence. There is a 'remove from sphere of influence' choice in the menu. I have not tried it myself, so I am not sure if that's only for removing other countries' influences or also your own. If the former is the case, let some foreign power accumulate influence and they will remove you eventually. Then, it's a question of attacking before the foreign power accrues enough influence to add your target to their sphere.

In 1.2, it seems that one actually CAN remove a country from sphere of influence. There is a 'remove from sphere of influence' choice in the menu. I have not tried it myself, so I am not sure if that's only for removing other countries' influences or also your own. If the former is the case, let some foreign power accumulate influence and they will remove you eventually. Then, it's a question of attacking before the foreign power accrues enough influence to add your target to their sphere.

You can usually shake the high-contention nations from your sphere (like Brazil or China) but small, weak uncivs (like Cambodia or Bali) can become stuck to you like herpes.

This also makes going after some tiny nations difficult if they're sphered by someone like Britain. Whoever the owner is will pay attention to you (usually) and make it very difficult to weasel nations from their control due to lack of competition. With coveted nations, you can always rely on the AI nations knocking each other out and wasting influence while you sneak in after they're all broke.

The remove from sphere is to remove a country from someone else's sphere of influence, not your own. The best bet with somewhere like saxony is just not put any influence into it, and very quickly one of france or prussia should knock it out of your SOI.

As Multiversal says, that doesn't work so well in say... malaysia. You can also go after them somewhere else, and they might give up there and move to saxony

You can usually shake the high-contention nations from your sphere (like Brazil or China) but small, weak uncivs (like Cambodia or Bali) can become stuck to you like herpes.

This also makes going after some tiny nations difficult if they're sphered by someone like Britain. Whoever the owner is will pay attention to you (usually) and make it very difficult to weasel nations from their control due to lack of competition. With coveted nations, you can always rely on the AI nations knocking each other out and wasting influence while you sneak in after they're all broke.

You can get to a point where you rarely have to spend points in defense of the gems in your SOI as the rest of the world is so cut-throat in lining up to challenge your influence that they manage to keep themselves out of the real fight. While all the rest are distracted I'll attempt to pick the next prettiest plum from the tree.