• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Palaiologos

Colonel
85 Badges
Apr 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
From the patch 1.2 readme:

Battles at endgame now gets bloodier, and attack value is only for attacker and defend value for defender, with each value giving +10% extra damage dealt.
- Discipline now reduces morale damage taken only.

As it happens technology only increases an artillery's attack value. Does that mean that arty regiments are made obsolete in defence? Or does the above patch change only applies to infantry and cavalry?

They are not useless because they draw their defence value from armies' defence modifiers. Namely first branch of army tech, machine guns from the second branch and some inventions in a bottom of artillery branch.

As it happens technology only increases an artillery's attack value. Does that mean that arty regiments are made obsolete in defence? Or does the above patch change only applies to infantry and cavalry?

It increases attack values of all units: Arty, Infantry and Cavallery.

Arty has no defence value at the beginning of the game, but the defence will even increase by special technologies or inventions like 'field fortifications' or 'point defence system' or 'machine gun'. The effects of this techs affect all units, too.

I also have a question to artillery attack value:

The manual says on page 90 regarding artillery: 'the first 3 days consists entirely of "Fire" combat'. I understand this sentence this way that if one side has no artillery the units of the other side can not return fire in this first 3 days. I did not see any 'artillery fire combat' at the beginning of a battle. There is just a clash and both sides suffer casualities. I know the 'fire and shock phase' has been turned off, hence the question is now: Is the attack value of artillery completely worthless?
Because in battles artillery units should fight from the rear rank and thus the 'support value' is added to the unit in front of it instead of the attack value.

For what is the attack value of artillery good for?

Last edited:

For bringing high casualties to the table. E.g. in defence you are able to field in hte first line against enemy infantry of 12000 men your 12000 men. To futher your killing ability you add cavalry of all sorts to fill the first rank completely. Arty is added to multiple casualties of your enemies even more. Imagine that 3000 of enemy infantry will be faced with your 3000 inf, 6000 cav. (attack from both sides due two manouver value of both) and 3000 art.

It remains a quiestion whether artillery batteries support this 6000 cav. or not?

For bringing high casualties to the table. E.g. in defence you are able to field in hte first line against enemy infantry of 12000 men your 12000 men. To futher your killing ability you add cavalry of all sorts to fill the first rank completely. Arty is added to multiple casualties of your enemies even more. Imagine that 3000 of enemy infantry will be faced with your 3000 inf, 6000 cav. (attack from both sides due two manouver value of both) and 3000 art.

It remains a quiestion whether artillery batteries support this 6000 cav. or not?

Well yes. But according to the latest patch an army that is defending only uses its defence rating(for the whole battle)-which the cannons have none.

Yes, it is rather puzzling, and it seems some of the techs and modifiers were not properly changed at the same time as 1.2's changes. Therefore I'm changing the heavy armament techs and inventions to give +2 defence as well as attack, since it makes more sense.

Just want to repeat the unanswered question:

For attacking?

Plus, I think artillery adds half of its values to the front row troops.

No, sorry, this is not true. From the English manual, page 91, this is only true in case of defending regarding the defence value of an arty unit.

Risa said:
I think "support = 1.0" means that when in back row, artillery adds 100% of its attack and defence value to unit in direct front of it.

Yes, this is what I think, too, but that would mean the support value of arty is something like a modifier.
Regarding to the German manual (my English is not so good), page 90, there are no words about it is a modifier. If I understand the manual right, only the support value is added to the front unit in case of attacking. As the support value is always one I have the assumption behind this statement could be hide a bug.

Therefore it would be nice to have an exact answer from a developer from Paradox e.g. Peter Ebesen or something else.....

Peter Ebbesen is not a developer. He's just generally very knowledgeable on these things ("these things" being combat and WC).