• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So...where to start:)?
I have read this chapter all at once and it had to cost you a lot of effort - it is wonderfully written and so comprehensive!
IMHO don't worry about save editing - I often play more roleplaying than powergaming so it can really piss me when some sort of oddity happen in the world:).

AFAIK IIRC Transitional Principality is the stage between tribal government and feudal government.

It is a bit odd that AK became a Latin Patriarchy when you released it because its tier is now 'Empire' - more than any European country has (except you, of course).

Very good stuff. Urbanus VII certainly was, as you said, a surprisingly capable Pope especially considering the tumultuous event he faced during his reign. Although I do take some issue with his lack of attention to the west, especially considering the loss of numerous formerly Catholic nations to Protestantism, however I do accept there is little he could have done to stop such conversion. The loss of England, Sweden and Austria particularly have to be seen as considerable blows.

Nonetheless it is good to see your decisions regarding the Ottomans very much vindicated, if not weakened by yourself beforehand, they would likely be gaining yet more territory, they still prove a worthy foe even now in their much diminished state, as you showed. It is also very pleasing to see the Mamluks defeated once more, thus Urbanus' focus on the east did bring about some good advances. I have to wonder if the next Pope will be so accomodating of the east however.

dinofs:
The Ottomans can be a nasty foe, but at this point they're practically on their deathbed. Try to release the land they have in the Balkans to help finish them off!
They surely are, still the AI script or what makes them rather aggressive. The fragmentation was the key to neutralising them. The Balkans? Well, some plan has to be drawn up for the region.

blsteen:
nice to see the Protestants picking up speed
Rarely do I see them that strong. As the Papal States I shouldn't be happy but strangely I do enjoy a game where at last the Protestants become an issue in European politics.

loki100:
this really does reinforce the eastward tilt of the papacy, looks like Constantinople maybe on its way to being the new even newer Rome (this gets too confusing to actually work out how new this would be).
True. This 'newer Rome' thing is so much fantasy scenario, I somehow don't know how to go about it.

Chris Taylor:
I love the Pharos policy; seems plausible and realistic for a church that suddenly has to integrate tons of new believers from a different tradition at the same time that it is losing its grip on its traditional strongholds.
Glad you like it and deem it plausible.

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit. :D
Indeed. But why 'ferum'? ;)

I am also suitably impressed by the performance of the Protestant rebels in England. It is a shame that the "moral fibre" spawns can't be limited to AI defence against France/Scotland invasions in the early game
Dei Gratia's 'War of religion' seems to have worked here as designed. And I love it. I agree with you on the 'spawns' thing.

And what wouldn't I give for a king with stats like Phillip or William IV. :(
Well, they didn't prevent the turmoil on the Isles and the loss of Ireland, did they? :) Is that that women are more competent, or what? ;)

Good thing you didn't get involved in that 1555 Ottoman conflict, or you would have been hosed by the Mameluks! A rather Providential twist of fate.
Very true. I wouldn't have had enough troops to wage a two-front war.

Athalcor:
IMHO don't worry about save editing - I often play more roleplaying than powergaming so it can really piss me when some sort of oddity happen in the world:).
Thanks. I needed these words. :) The alliance leader mechanics (and the way it affects peace resolutions are one of the most inconsistent/illogical things that may happen in the game and they do have far-reaching consequences. And in any war (not only a war of religion) one big country has an advantage against a group of allied minors: they can be picked one at a time.

AFAIK IIRC Transitional Principality is the stage between tribal government and feudal government.
Thanks. Hmm... that's a bit surprising Tyrone is pre-feudal.

It is a bit odd that AK became a Latin Patriarchy when you released it because its tier is now 'Empire' - more than any European country has (except you, of course).
It's the oddity I really didn't know how to weave into the story.

mornigSIDEr:
Urbanus VII certainly was, as you said, a surprisingly capable Pope especially considering the tumultuous event he faced during his reign. Although I do take some issue with his lack of attention to the west, especially considering the loss of numerous formerly Catholic nations to Protestantism, however I do accept there is little he could have done to stop such conversion. The loss of England, Sweden and Austria particularly have to be seen as considerable blows.
The Papal States had no recources to focus on both East and West. In the view of the new policy Urbanus VII may be regarded competent: large populations in the East have been converted, the True Faith has come back to its cradle. Well, in Europe there are still Catholic nations and the Counter-Reformation started a while ago; so there's hope.

It is also very pleasing to see the Mamluks defeated once more. (...) I have to wonder if the next Pope will be so accomodating of the east however.
Mameluks have been pushed off the Med almost completely. They hold only Libya (not worth the trouble). What I'd like to get for both roleplay and gameplay reasons is Damascus. Cairo is the only other valuable prov of theirs, but it's their capital too. As regards the next Pope... let's say throughout del Monte papacy he remained in Rome.

JacktheJumper:
Are you going to move your capital to Constantinople once the city's secured?
Haven't planned it. But now that you're asking... this made me consider the pros and cons. Anyway, it's 5000d in the first place.

A truly amazing set of updates and a with a Protestant victory in the War of the League combined with France surviving the vultures in England and Austria as well!

And boy, you're not making it easy for yourself are you? With England descending into Lutheran bliss and Austria with a heretical traitor-emperor it seems like Western Europe is lost (although you still have the best and bravest of the Scandinavian kingdoms, Denmark, on your side).

Indeed. But why 'ferum'? ;)

I suppose the Church isn't as wild and savage as ancient Latium, but you did conquer Greece, after all. Would have been a bit more tumultuous than their (heavily taxed) quasi-autonomy under the Ottomans.

Well, they didn't prevent the turmoil on the Isles and the loss of Ireland, did they? :) Is that that women are more competent, or what? ;)

Heh! Depends on the queen, I suppose. :D At least an in-game king has the option of leading his men into battle. Not that it appears to have been any benefit in this case.

And what's an English Reformation without a (reverse) Pilgrimage of Grace? ;)

Milites:
And boy, you're not making it easy for yourself are you? With England descending into Lutheran bliss and Austria with a heretical traitor-emperor it seems like Western Europe is lost (although you still have the best and bravest of the Scandinavian kingdoms, Denmark, on your side).
Denmark has been staunchly Catholic, but will its might make up for the lost France?
I fear the Protestants' might is my doing as Urbanus VII repeatedly refused to convoke a Council. Worse still, back then I got an event warning (I believe) about the possibility of the anti-Pope emerging (can't find the pic though). Possibly (and hopefully), there are not enough Catholic provs or some variable is too small for a new schism as I haven't heard from the anti-papists since then.

Chris Taylor:
I suppose the Church isn't as wild and savage as ancient Latium, but you did conquer Greece, after all. Would have been a bit more tumultuous than their (heavily taxed) quasi-autonomy under the Ottomans.
You're right about 'conquering', but many (Greeks too) would see it as 'liberating' and I do not tax new provs heavily, on the contrary, I enact very low taxes. Finally, there was the precedent of the Greek Pope, Callistus III (1470-80), Rome embraced the Byzantine refugees and generally there was this long-term East-bound Holy See's policy.
I'd say we didn't come armed with swords but with books ready to debate in scholarly disputes. :p ('Readier' for Orthodox than for Protestants :))

Leo XI

1 January 1567 – 9 April 1569

DE POTESTATE PAPAE ET IMPERATORIS

The Quiet Cardinal

As early as in January 1498 Pius IV established the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition; an institution staffed by cardinals and other high-profile ecclesiastical officials, whose task was to maintain and defend the integrity of the faith and to examine and proscribe errors and false doctrines. It served as the final court of appeal in trials of heresy. The body was reformed a few times in the first half of the 16th century to adjust it to the more and more Union-driven policy. It was led by an official who born the title of Grand Inquisitor, since 1550 the honour was held by Cardinal Antonio Michele Ghisleri.

Ghisleri, known as the Quiet Cardinal, had a history of being a zealous Dominican prior, famed for insisting on curbing moral laxity and abiding by the discipline and the vocation of the Order. He diligently worked for the Inquisition and in 1550 Leo X conferred upon him the honour of the Supreme Inquisitor, thus drawing him into the del Monte inner circle. Cardinal Ghisleri remained loyal to Urbanus VII even though he disagreed with the Pope’s bias towards the matters of the Union and the East. As one of the most prominent ecclesiastics in Rome he strived to advance the Catholic cause where it was, in his eyes, being neglected.

Despite the seemingly non-stopping Protestant advance (the Protestant Tyrone united Ireland and Hungary subjugated Bosnia) Cardinal Ghisleri scored a few minor victories. With his blessing the faithful City of Nuremburg was rewarded with the province of Franken. He brought Urbanus VII round to supporting the Archbishop’s of Trier rights to Luxembourg. All this was a provocative meddling with the Emperor of course, but as long as Ferdinand II was busy maintaining peace in his realms this small steps policy was effective. To the North-East, where both the Livonian Knights and the Bishop of Riga had broken up with Rome, the Quiet Cardinal gave the Kingdom of Poland free hand in disciplining the new Protestant states, lest they fell into either Swedish or Russian spheres of interest.

Most importantly, Cardinal Ghisleri secured the Papal support for the Trastámara dynasty in the Portuguese succession crisis. The Union between the two Iberian Crowns lasted barely a year, but it was enough to restore the customary diplomacy between Rome and Lisbon and to strengthen the position of both Dominicans and Inquisitions in the kingdom; the institutions which would prove crucial in the Counter-Reformation’s success in Portugal. (the pic speaks for itself; the Union lasted barely 4 months; Ana Trastámara was not accepted in Portugal despite being a 9/9/9 prodigy; was there no female inheritance in Portugal?)

Portugal.gif

Conclave of 1567

Initially, in the Conclave of 1567 Cardianl Ghisleri was not considered a papabile. As usually the cardinals were divided into various factions. There was a group formed around the old tight-knit cabal of del Monte ‘orphans’, which however, lacked strong leadership (their Greek candidate Cardinal Rovigo stood little chance). The ‘Roman’ faction, led by Cardinal Morone, questioned the Pharos policy of the late Urban VII and the neglect of affairs in the West. There were a few smaller parties: the Venetian, the Iberian and even the Imperial one; shockingly the Emperor’s own credentials as a loyal Catholic suspect, he had a cheek to interfere into the business of the election.

There was also another kind of division among the cardinals, not based on ethnic considerations or temporal loyalties, but instead based on the influence of the Counter-Reformation, which was surprisingly drawing so much stimulus from the implementation of the Union. The need to deal with the situation in the East elevated to prominence a group of scholarly ecclesiastical reformers, with Cardinal Borromeo the most esteemed of them. Within this group there were two camps advocating either stricter or more lenient approach to the traditional Catholic doctrine; Borromeo advocating the need of a stop to the tide of Orthodox influences.

Strangely, neither Morone nor Borromeo got elected. The former had been before falsely accused, together with Cardinal Rebiba, of heretical leanings (of which they had been acquitted by Ghisleri), the latter lacked support as many cardinals, fond of their wealthy lifestyles, feared his austerity and spirituality. Still, Cardinal Morone might be called the pope-maker of the conclave as, quickly realising his chances were shrinking and the inevitable impasse would follow, and rightly assessing the gravity of the external situation (the ongoing war, the mutinies in all corners of the Papal States, the dissent in Rome itself, the threat of peasant uprisings breaking out throughout Germany) he put forward the candidature of Cardinal Ghisleri. When Emperor Ferdinand II heard that a monk and Inquisitor got elected, he made a remark, ‘Was it the best they could find in the College?’ (funny, the conclave coincided with the spawn of revolts in all corners of the state, one in Rome at that; this time the peasants’ war seems to be the one that triggers tumult in Germany because, as you’ll see, it swept from country to country)

revolts.gif

Leo.gif

Cardinal Ghisleri took the name Leo XI to placate all those who saw him as the antithesis of Leo X’s push eastwards. At the same time he promised the residents of Rome to brig their city back to glory and restore its grandeur. Within mere months he managed to conciliate the ‘Roman’ faction members; his decisiveness in quelling revolts in the East and the perseverance with the war against the Turks won over the del Monte ‘orphans’. Finally, there was rekindled hope, Leo XI, being a former Grand Inquisitor, will breathe new life into the Counter-Reformation. (I am the Papal Controller and I get to choose the Pope, is it my NIs or what (Protestant advance?) but most of the time I control the Curia; cardinals help with the infamy too, a lot; so that even with a 5DIP pope it is manageable)

townhall.gif

The Emperor’s Response

For Leo XI the great thought and the constant preoccupation of his short pontificate seems to have been the struggle against the Protestants and the Turks. These two problems required such attention that to some extent the controversy over the Pharos policy had to be shelved. His Holiness was hoping to put a definite end to the power of Islam by forming a general alliance of the Italian states, Bohemia and Iberian kingdoms. In 1567 he began negotiations for this purpose, but these were cut short when Ferdinand II decided it was high time he curbed the growing Papal power. In January 1568 Ferdinand II deviously attacked Venice, a Papal ally.

The moment of assault had been chosen well, the allies, their troops away, were engaged in the war against the infidels. Italy seemed open for Imperial troops to march on. It was not an easy decisions for Venice’s Italian allies (Genoa had just declared bankruptcy and had to make concessions to Black Sea Sunnis; Mantua was ruled by a Wittelsbach) but all of them: Geonoa, Mantua and Naples immediately rushed to help the Serenissima. So did the Kingdom of Portugal, whose trade interests were highly dependable on the stability of Venetian marine power. Naturally, the allies were forced to conclude the war against Sultan Davud I with little gains despite their unquestionable military superiority. (I do not know what gave Austria this ‘foreign intervention’ casus belli (and what it gives); I’m still relatively new to this – my favourite - element of HttT; Venice is calling for help, I do want to help and my first instinct it to press accept; but then I remember HttT casus belli system; meanwhile Ottomans peaced out with England, Sweden and Hungary too; they do have crafty diplomats!)

war.gif

A few hectic weeks followed: envoys sent here and there, letters expected with the acute impatience, particularly those from Prague. When the regency there assured His Holiness of their loyalty, Leo XI declared the Emperor unworthy of his title for unjustly attacking fellow Christians while they were struggling with the Ottoman menace. This excommunication had little effect among the Protestants, but was an excuse convincing enough for Catholics to justify the war. In fact, Bohemia held its own grudge against Ferdinand II, who, taking advantage of succession crisis in Prague, had insisted on the regency’s relinquishing Bohemian overlordship over Thuringia. In February 1568 the Catholic League declared war against the heretic Emperor. Since Bohemia joined the League none of the Protestant German dukes supported the Emperor, only Sweden stood by Ferdinand II. (so it’s the Papal Purge of Austria – the second war Austria is waging now; as Italians lack land NIs dragging Bohemia into the war was necessary: they do have 3 land NIs and open up the second, or as it’ll turn out later, the third front; the Italian minors, their armies together making some force, will hopefully be a distraction for the Austrians)

war2-1.gif

At the outbreak of hostilities only half of the Papal forces were in Europe, the other half was busy putting down revolts in the East, fighting the Ottomans or pushing away Qara Koyunlu armies pillaging Syria. The Ottoman Empire managed to secure a short period of respite, its Balkan provinces freed from occupation. This was not to last: first Treizond then Moldavia turned against it. In April Gregorius Vittorio, nephew of the Venetian Doge commanding the Papal army, managed to secure a few minor victories for the League and retake the Fiume area. But soon the superiority of Imperial forces was apparent. After the defeats in Friuli and Istria the beaten regiments had to withdraw to replenish and regain morale. Rumour had it, it was the League to blame for the sudden death of Ferdinand II’s son even though it was unquestionably an accident; the Protestant propaganda naturally tried to make the most of it.

The sea was the only area of conflict where the anti-Imperial coalitions had a clear advantage. In the battle of Gulf of Venice the Papal navy, supported by Venetians, dispersed the Imperial fleet, capturing a galley in the process. The construction of the vessel proved superior to the boats serving in the Papal fleet, but due to the war-related expenditures the modernisations of the navy had to be postponed. (my plan to wage this war was to simply support the Italians and make sure Austrians won’t take any land, but apparently I’m incapable of even lifting a siege or beating their 2k full-morale leaderless army; luckily I can find shelter on Hungarian land (old military access) so I change my tactics: one army, infantry, will march on Vienna, and 4k cavalry will try to kill fresh recruits; and of course I need to finish the war with OE and ship my men from the East to Italy; the captured ‘Samson’ is my first early usciere; as you can see I, unwisely, favoured my vassals in the war council event)

successes.gif

failures.gif

gulf.gif

The Unfinished Business

The Papal States had no means to wage two wars in far-away places. Luckily for Leo XI, his predecessor made sure the one against Duvad I had already been all but won. However, the Sultan, realising the dire straits the Papacy was in, kept putting off the peace talks until the Papal satellite, Trebizond, having obligingly opened up another front, forced him to admit defeat. The Papal terms were relatively mild, Duvad I was forced to relocate his administrative hub from Anatolia to the Balkans and recognise as final any former Empire’s losses, whether to the Papacy or its allies. (so OE’s capital moves to Sophia; Quara Koyunlu agreed to peace too; Trebizond, Ragusa and Urbino are at war with QK, OE, Kazan, Sibir and Haasa; Moldavia dowed OE too)

OE.gif

The End of the House of Bourgogne

Until the Papal archives get fully opened, it will be impossible to determine if, how, and if so to what extent the Papal secret service of the 15th century contributed to the demise of the House of Bourgogne. It is presently believed it was the massive peasants’ revolt that swept away the monarchy in Hesse. The nagging question remains, why no other peasants’ movements of the time were equally successful. The fall of the dynasty and the proclamation of the republic temporarily weakened the Protestant camp within the Empire; Ferdinand II’s prestige suffered too as many royals deemed him incapable of protecting their ancestral rights. (the fact that Hesse army was trapped in Ansbach province (no mil access) might have been instrumental here; these ‘peasant protests’ events affected other German minors too; whether they’ll lead to anything more radical, remains to be seen)

Hesse.gif

The Untimely Death

Leo XI died before the regiments from the East made it to Rome. It seemed though both the Venice alliance and the League had made some headway into the Emperor’s territory, and Gregorius Vittorio, having outmanoeuvred more numerous enemy armies, was besieging Vienna itself. The Curia was positively astounded by the dexterity of Bohemian war machine; the kingdom’s armies marched not only South to Austria but also West to Low Lands, where they met the various Italian forces trying to open another front and thus bind some of the Imperial forces far away from Italy. Still, the Imperial reserves seemed limitless and Ferdinadnd II’s generals proved vastly superior.

Were such things decided by diplomacy and not on the battlefield, Ferdinand II would lose his Imperial Crown to the young Karel V Ludvik of Bohemia and the Holy See would reassert its power over central Europe. This might be the first major success of the Counter-Reformation. Of course provided Catholicism itself would not split in two; the danger of which growing more and more serious, especially with the Greek cardinals quickly regaining majority in the Curia. But all these issues will be left for the next Pope to resolve. (Austria has already asked for white peace, but no thank you; the pics show the Emperor losing, but it’s not quite so: check the numbers; the anti-Imperial armies are heavily attritioned (see Linz and Lienz; oh why, oh why my allies have to pile so many forces on one siege?) while the Austrian ones are in full force; Sweden and Portugal haven’t participated in the conflict, save the Portuguese helping to control the seas; three out of my four cardinals are from the East, my majority in the Curia makes me the potential papal controller; as for the war my problem is that the all-cavalry army you see leaving Tirol needs some rest and the 1/3 from Sopron may not be enough to deal with fresh recruits; my 2/8 eastern army, which is now in Ancona, heading North, will try to lift Austrian sieges of Trent, Treviso and Friuli. Btw, notice Austria diligently converting, to Protestantism-!!!- grr…)

Austria-1.gif

LowLands.gif

Curia.gif
The situation in the Curia at the time of Leo XI's untimely death​

Treasury / yearly income: 966d / 29.84
Merchants: 4 in Thrace: 34.56/306.80 and 5 in Alexandria: 67.08/475.38
Fleet: 13: 7 galleys, 1 early usciere; 5 cogs
Army: 23k Reformed tercio; 7k Gallop cavalry
Manpower / discipline: 19.302 / 114.90%
Army / navy tradition: 41.50% / 0.00%
Prestige: 99
Stability: +3
Infamy: 7.57/23.00
War exhaustion: 2.11/29 (Austria is at 7.34)

Last edited:
I am relieved that Portugal didn't wind up staying in the personal union with Spain. That said, I would hang in there as the junior for a 9/9/9 monarch's personal union. How bad could it possibly be? :p

Rome knows how to party—nice rebel army you have there.

Shame about the Emperor backstabbing the Bishop of Rome while he's at war with the heathens. On one hand I am glad the AI is capable of such things, to keep us players on our toes. On the other hand... what a dirty rat! Shades of the 16th century Franco-Ottoman alliance.

Your anti-Austrian alliance seems to be making some headway against the Emperor, despite the HRE being a massive manpower sinkhole. Judging from the screenshot I guess the Electors can't wait to rip the crown out of his grubby little mitts. :D

Austria - a pet hate of yours, isn't it:)?
Btw, what is the ratio of Catholic/Protestant Electors in HRE?
How advanced is the colonization? Is there any other colonizer than Portugal/Spain?

And out of interest: Is there a possible split of Catholicism through the game mechanics or is it only a roleplaying?

(wow. only questions in this post:))

A short but eventful reign. I'm glad that Austria's seemingly being dealt with, although their still considerable army has certainly not yet defeated. However there sudden attack is vexing in that such a relatively lenient peace with the Ottomans had to be sought.

I especially liked the short section detailing the successful peasants in Hesse, hopefully such unrest can similarly afflict and hinder the other Protestant nations. As a former Inquisitor the allusion to Leo XI perhaps having some hand in all of this seems quite plausible.

Anyway with the war against Austria currently in the balance, if perhaps tipping in the Papacy's favour, the next Pope need be carefully selected. Considering the intrigues surrounding Leo XI's choice, this may prove a rather difficult task.

Great chapters, two very intense pontificates (and as usual, one long, one short).

This last Ottoman defeat should hopefully be their final meaningful stand. And to be fair, I find very reasonable that the Ottoman decline should be mirrored to some extent by Austrian decline, since historically the Habsburgs derived much clout out of their position as guardians of Europe, something they can't exploit in this timeline :D

As for switching capital to Constantinople, I've got mixed feelings about it. You should only do it if you are genuinely pushed out of Rome... or if the union with the Eastern Church could be achieved in the game in a universal way (i.e. the Russian patriarchs join as well), something that would unambiguously shift the centre of Christianity east. Basically, you need a really good excuse, not just the 5000d :)

Chris Taylor:
I am relieved that Portugal didn't wind up staying in the personal union with Spain. That said, I would hang in there as the junior for a 9/9/9 monarch's personal union. How bad could it possibly be? :p
We'll yet to hear about Anna of Spain. ;)

Your anti-Austrian alliance seems to be making some headway against the Emperor
What anti-Austrian alliance? This was an anti-Italian devious Imperial assault. :)

loki100:
The murky politics of each conclave being a particular highlight.
I try to read on conclaves before each update, and oh so much unholy haggling over the election of the Holy Father. I wonder how, knowing this, Cathlics can keep their faith?!

Athalcor:
Austria - a pet hate of yours, isn't it:)?
Btw, what is the ratio of Catholic/Protestant Electors in HRE?
How advanced is the colonization? Is there any other colonizer than Portugal/Spain?

And out of interest: Is there a possible split of Catholicism through the game mechanics or is it only a roleplaying?
1) Yes :eek:o you've seen me through again! 2) 4 Catholics: bishoprics and Bohemia to 3 Protestants: The Palatinate, Brandenburg and Thuringia. 3) France and England have just joined the fun, but I haven't been paying much attention. 4) Yes there is.

morningSIDEr:
I'm glad that Austria's seemingly being dealt with, although their still considerable army has certainly not yet defeated. However there sudden attack is vexing in that such a relatively lenient peace with the Ottomans had to be sought.
Bohemia's help was invaluable here. As for the OE, I don't really know if I want anything else from them. As a Balkan buffer (with all the AI buffs) it could have a role balancing Hungary's appetite.

I especially liked the short section detailing the successful peasants in Hesse.
Yeah, the demise of de Burgougne House, first in Burgundy, now in Hesse, what a coincidence!

aldriq:
And to be fair, I find very reasonable that the Ottoman decline should be mirrored to some extent by Austrian decline, since historically the Habsburgs derived much clout out of their position as guardians of Europe, something they can't exploit in this timeline :D
I fully agree. I'd expect Hungary to rise to power. And Austria to be seriously rivalled by another HRE state, which is the case actually.

As for switching capital to Constantinople, I've got mixed feelings about it. You should only do it if you are genuinely pushed out of Rome... or if the union with the Eastern Church could be achieved in the game in a universal way (i.e. the Russian patriarchs join as well), something that would unambiguously shift the centre of Christianity east. Basically, you need a really good excuse, not just the 5000d :)
Fully agree. 'Pharos policy' is about decentralising to quite an extent and encompassing Eastern rites and traditions but not relocating the centre of Christianity.

Urbanus VIII

23 January 1570 – 19 December 1573

NUNQUAM CEDAMUS

We Need a Leader

The sede vacante after Leo XI’s death was a dangerously long one as for over half a year the cardinal electors could not reach any agreement and squabbled over trivialities as if the Emperor’s menacing forces had not been threatening Italy and the very Papal sphere of interest, with dukedoms of Ferrara and Mantua dangerously exposed. Undoubtedly, the victory of the Eastern army, commanded by the exceptionally able Aldo Mestre, which finally made it to North Italy and broke the Imperial siege in Trent, lulled the fears the cardinals had and let their ambitions resurface.

The war seemed to be a far-away thing, raging somewhere beyond the Alps and the factions, entrenched in their camps, would not concede. The members of the Greek party, still called ‘orphans’ as the majority of them had been elevated to cardinality by the del Monte popes, either Leo X or Urbanus VII, were incapable of putting forward a strong candidate; they were numerous, but lacked influence in Italy. Their opponents were divided into smaller, rivalling factions, the Romans and the Iberians the most powerful of them, rallying around the papabiles: Cardinals Morone and Borromeo respectively. This division and the power of the ‘orphans’ to block these two candidatures led to an impasse. (I did manage to overthrow the Austrians but not to decisively beat them, the Bohemians were luckier in Ostmarch, the Austrian stack you see retreating will be finally finished off; I’m still besieging Vienna but I find it more and more difficult to dispose of Imperial fresh recruits; me having majority in the Curia no stab hit at the deadlock conclave as I ‘Force them to choose!’)

Trent1.gif

deadlock.gif

The Greek Cardinal Rovigo was one of the first to realise a solution must be found quickly; as in the meantime not only there had been substantial changes in the East with Moldavia growing strong enough to become the new champion of the Orthodox Church, thus challenging the Pharos policy; but also the Papal troops had gone from defeat to defeat. The siege of Vienna had to be abandoned as the Austrians came with too large a force to hope for a victory, the retreat had been ordered. The Imperials were also back in Trent and this time an attempt at routing them failed; worse still an important Papal regiment, whose task was to scout and disrupt supplies and recruitment in Austrian lands, had got ambushed; most men were killed, the few survivors just fled. (the defeat at Vienna was actually calculated, I hoped Austrians would be lured to attack me and I kept fighting long enough to make sure the Bohemians with their large force would clash with battle-weary Austrians and that’s what happened, still the Austrian managed to flee; there's no doubt Austria outclasses me on the battlefield; btw you can see that AI tosses its general as it sees fit, often over long distances, so no longer I feel guilty when doing this too)

Wien.gif

defeats.gif

‘We Are the Lighthouse’

In December 1569 Cardinal Rovigo on behalf of the ‘orphans’ approached the Venetian party, which so far, together with the Romans, had supported the candidature of Cardinal Morone. Cardinal Rovigo explained this candidature was impossible for the Greeks but a compromise might be achieved; since then the two factions lobbied for Cardinal Rebiba, the Grand Inquisitor since Leo XI’s accession to Papacy. At the end of January 1570 they secured his election. Cardinal Rebiba took name Urbanus VIII so as to highlight the fact that he was going to build upon Urbanus VII’s legacy. The election of the second Grand Inquisitor in row seemed to set a trend. The one at that which was not to everybody’s liking; especially Anna of Spain received the news with staged politeness. Rome celebrated nevertheless as the joyous news of the new Pope being elected coincided with the triumph over the Protestant Emperor: Vienna had fallen to the Bohemians.

UrbanusVIII.gif

Vienna taken, Urbanus VIII considered Ferdinand II contained for the time being and thus got round to sorting out the matters of the East. Leo XI had not paid much attention to the issues there even though the tensions had been mounting for some time. First, in line with the Pharos policy, he endowed the Patriarchate of Alexandria with more prerogatives hoping the city would become a real lighthouse spreading the Catholicism to the Nile Delta, and possibly westwards along the coast of North Africa. He also proved unyielding towards the pockets of Turkish Orthodoxy scattered all over Anatolia; the newly-appointed patriarch was an experienced inquisitor and most diligently saw to the elimination of heresy. Unlike the Spanish, the Papal Inquisition sought to persuade rather than persecute the stray souls, still there is no denying at times harsher inducements had to be applied. This strategy soon bore fruit; converts were whole-heartedly welcome to the bosom of Mother Church.

Urbanus VIII continued personally consecrating many bishops for various important sees in Europe, Levant and even New World; the honour he had been performing as Cardinal Rebiba before he took tiara. Many of the Pontiff’s nominees were refugees from Protestant countries seeking haven in the lands of the Papal States, away from the prosecution in their native lands. Consecrated, they operated as bishops in-exile. These bishops in turn consecrated bishops almost exclusively for their respective countries resulting in the fact that more than 90% of all contemporary Catholic bishops can trace their episcopal lineage back to Cardinal Rebiba, later Urbanus VIII.

Urbanus VIII, a good diplomat himself and a wise enough ruler to take advantage of the links created by his predecessors, pursued a benign policy towards the realms which for some time had relied on Papal authority. It was Urbanus VII who had drafted the plan of regular meetings with the representatives of the said states and Urbanus VIII decided to arrange the first meeting in 1572. With the prestige won in the conflict with the Emperor, the Pontiff could have been more demanding but he decided to favour the lesser states, hoping to win in this way their loyalty. (I’m still the Papal Controller, weak and I cannot excommunicate (it’s due to low papal authority, below 400); the Turkish Orthodox Church was a bit of a surprise; the Estates of the Realm will happen regularly, credits go to Ubik for making vassals so dynamic, I intend to favour vassals whenever possible as they’re an invaluable asset in times of war)

reforms-2.gif

estates.gif

Way to Canossa

Urbanus VIII almost entirely withdrew from active campaigning in the war against Ferdinand II. The military effort limited to a few skirmishes in and around Istria, His Holiness resorted to repeatedly reminding the Christendom about the excommunication decreed over the Emperor. The bulk of the Papal army got mustered up in Verona under the leadership of Aldo Mestre. His Holiness dispatched his envoys to Ferdinand’s camp, probing the possible termination of the Papal involvement in the conflict. Urbanus VIII was fully aware Ferdinand II had already lost in Low Lands and Franché-Comte and, with the Bohemians unstoppable, he felt the cold touch of a knife at his throat. Initially, Ferdinand II rejected the proposed terms; but when Urbanus VIII ordered Aldo Mestre to head for Trent, where the only capable of fighting Imperial army was stationed, he caved in.

At the news of the Papal attack, followed by the tidings of his most skilled general’s death; sensing that what was at stake were his ancestral lands and titles, Ferdinand II realised he had no choice. No doubt hoping without the Papal and Bohemian commitment he still stood a chance, the Emperor set off from his camp, as ordered, he travelled southwards, and as ordered, he wore a hair-shirt, and walked barefoot. On 31 August 1570 he reached the gates of Canossa, where in the town fortress Urbanus VIII had been nervously awaiting him. Little did the humbled Emperor know that his men were actually winning in Trent. When Ferdinand II reached Canossa, the Pope ordered that he be immediately permitted entry. There was no time to play out the full performance of the way to Canossa; Urabanus VIII, taking a fatherly pose and playing magnanimous understanding admitted Ferdinand II to his apartments, embraced the full-of-penitence Emperor, fed and dressed him. Ferdinand II knelt before the Pope and begged his forgiveness. His Holiness absolved Ferdinand II and invited him back into the One and Only Church. The Holy Mass in Catholic rite followed, the Emperor received the communion, which signalled the official end of his excommunication.

peace.gif

This sudden abandonment of the Italians in their war against the Emperor temporarily soured the Papal relationships with the allies. His Holiness spared no incentive though to both win them back and support them discretely against Ferdinand II. This was not a difficult task since the Emperor’s prestige had plummeted and he had lost any shreds of credibility in the eyes of the rulers of the states of the Holy Roman Empire. The war was steadily but inevitably turning into the Italians’ favour.

prestige.gif

By the summer of 1572 the situation had become unbearable for the Emperor. Many of his subjects resented his conversion, especially the Dutch and the Slavs. This resulted in popular revolts swaying the country even more. Eventually, in June Ferdinand II admitted defeat granting Venice a trade post in Low Lands and reducing his sphere of influence. The Italians emerged stronger and even more united from the war. The triumphant Papacy basked in the glory; Catholicism was brought back to the Empire; Urbanus VIII (not desiring more commotion in the Empire) did not try to revoke the treaty of Marburg though; the cuius regio eius religio resolution still stood. (that’s it, Austria is Catholic again but has only four Catholic provs (Vienna, Breda, Triest and Breisgau), it did not suffer that much from revolts, but it’s Austria with its huge bonuses after all; btw I had not taken even one province from Austria! it was all done by bohemia; the terms Venice dictated are a bit odd (they could have taken an adjacent prov), although not the oddest I’ve seen; I think this is the area the game could do with a major overhaul)

peace2.gif

First We Take Athens Then...

What followed the Catholic triumph was unfortunately the growth of animosities and mistrust between the allies. Leopoldo I Montoro, King of Naples accused Venice of greed as he, admittedly rightly, felt left empty-handed after the war. The North of Italy also reacted negatively to Venice cementing its power in the region. But what triggered the unusual happenings of the late 1572 was the question of Greece. While the war with the Emperor was raging, taking advantage of the absence of Italian troops, the Duke of Athens, Nicolaos I Doucas, proclaimed himself the Despotate of Greece. There was nothing the allies could do to curb this cheekiness. But action had to be taken when, sensing the war was coming to an end, the self-proclaimed Despot started to seek rapprochement with Anna of Spain, whom he called his protectress and the heiress of the Aragonese claim to Athens. At the same time he voiced his rights to the whole of Greece (which had been long ago partitioned between the four allies).

Against the Papal diplomacy’s advice the reckless Leopoldo I rushed to declare war even though most of his troops were still away from Greece. Venice, eager to patch up its relations with Naples, stood by its ally, whereas neither Spain, nor Genoa, nor even the Knights protected Greece. After hasty consultations Urbanus VIII joined the conflict; this time however, the Knights of Rhodes opposed the intervention since they perceived Athens as their future naval base; the Papal allies followed the call to arms. The situation go even more complicated when the North Italian dukedoms of Milan and Modena intervened and attacked the tiny Mantua, which had long been guaranteed by the Papal States. A mere weeks after its victory over the Emperor Italy succumbed to internal strife. (this is really messy, Naples without a cb dows Greece as AI often does not letting w.e. to cool down (another feature that needs to be revised imo); I don’t want to lose stability so I wait till the end of the month and use my ‘cleansing of heresy’ cb (thank you HttT) and dow Greece on my own, my allies follow (save Naples and Venice, who already are in the conflict); strangely the Knights who abandoned Greece to its fate while dowed by Naples somehow managed to guarantee it in the meantime and are at war with me now; shortly Milan, pbly lured by its high war exhaustion, attacked my protégé Mantua, with Savoy on my side I have no fears)

By the end of 1572 the Knights proved the Papal military, especially, the navy, badly needed modernisation. In a succession on quick strikes the Order secured the sea lanes and made headways into the Papal Asia Minor. Urbanus VIII loathed being in conflict with the Order as this sent a shocking message to the whole Christendom. As if voices had not already been raised as to the rationality of the Orders’ very existence, especially now with Levant in Christian hands and the Turks contained. The Holy See’s usual response was the Knight fought piracy that plagued the Mediterranean but now they were fighting an entirely different foe, the Holy Father himself. Nicolaos I of Athens was promptly deposed and the partition of Greece got finalised; but the nagging question as to the Knights’ loyalty remained. (the war, it’s first phase at least, was not at all hard, I lost my navy due to a moment’s inattention, luckily the transport cogs survived; I don’t want more land in Asia Minor and I long wanted to get rid of Karaman and Kastamon, but now I’m not sure it’s wise as it seems I can trust neither Trebizond nor the Knights (and I’ve been planning setting up a priory in Thrace!), the thing I’m happy about is Naples annexed a Catholic province)

greece.gif

greece2.gif

The war over Athens would have been of little importance for Urbanus VIII, had the Milanese intervention not opened a window of opportunity. The Papal authority had long been felt in the Central Italy, to the South it was shared with Naples, a former protégé, now a loyal ally, to the North it was contested by France, the Empire and Venice. The two former seriously weakened, the latter a distracted ally, Urbanus VIII seized his chance. He pronounced his benevolence to the citizens of the towns of the North as long as they admitted that it was to Him as the Vicar of Christ they owed their allegiance and not to the temporal dukes. The townsfolk of Modena, siege-tired, were the first to heed the message and in June 1573 they opened their gates to the Papal forces. No looting took place, instead His Holiness sent his emissaries with alms and a good word for the local worthies. This did the trick; in August the Pope himself was cheered in the city. (a very nice little event, I wonder what triggers it)

Italy.gif

Little did Urbanus VIII know that he would never leave Mantua. While in the town, he succumbed to an illness doctors were unable to properly diagnose. Even before he died, the vying coteries started to close their ranks for the next conclave. The famous Spanish gold, transported from the New World, swayed many less influential cardinals to adhere to the orders issued in Madrid. The ailing Pope realised what was going on, he even feared the possibility of schism as the Spanish and the Greek traditions represented two polar opposites of the Catholic spectrum. However, he was helpless to avert the inevitable and when he died in December, a few days before Christmas, it seemed the pendulum, which he so much strove to keep in the middle, swung to the West. (Venice decided to take Gerle out of the Empire, there’s not much hope for bigger/stronger Netherlands, and there’s little chance Austria will retain the Imperial crown (even though the Emperor proposed a new reform); the high revolt risk is largely caused by numerous Catholic refugees, I always accept them as the penalties are temporary whereas the bonuses will last; by the look at the map I seem to love playing decentralised, fragmented or whatever you call it entities)

death.gif
The situation in the Empire at Urbanus VIII’s death​

HRE.gif
The depiction of the struggle between the Papacy and the Austria-led Empire in the 16th century​

rebels.gif
The not so peaceful and united Papal States​

Treasury / yearly income: 1001d / -1,31 (vassals’ loyalty costs: council of war, special help to vassal, estates of the realm)
Merchants: 5 in Thrace: 36.25/304.49 and 5 in Alexandria: 57.81/484.58
Fleet: 5: 5 cogs
Army: 24k Reformed tercio; 7k Gallop cavalry
Manpower / discipline: 19.322 / 113.60%
Army / navy tradition: 61.40% / 0.00%
Prestige: 98
Stability: +3
Infamy: 2.60/21.00
War exhaustion: 5.88/27

Oh, Italians. Always squabbling amongst themselves when not beating up their neighbours. Also, good job on Austria. Do you have any idea whether or not the forced conversion will last? In my experience countries who changed faith through a peace deal pretty quickly get cold feet about the true religion being so true after all.

Poor Bohemia :p - she got nothing from the war...
Canossa...so the history IS repeating itself. And I wonder: How many Emperors will kneel before the gates in future?
Your relations with the Empire are a bit harsh:).

Btw, how about vassalising Karaman or Dulkadir?

And how about vassalising those unruly Knights? How dare they lift a hand against the Holy Father?! If you are not going to take more land in Asia Minor you may as well impose the peace of God :D

And Moldavia? That was unexpected... Hungary might be already late to the party :eek: