• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, well done! It's a great story, and always an interesting and exciting read. I have to remember to not confuse it with actual Papal history!

morningSIDEr:
I rather like his focussing on peaceful diplomatic matters rather than war, the creation of Pol-Den (perhaps Polmark or Denland?) quite possibly an inspired decision, even if it has led to the current Great Northern War it has consolidated Catholic power in the region.
Glad you liked it. At times I find it hard to find a distinguishing feature for my popes. With Clemens X I thought, with no wars, his 3MIL and -0.25 to morale penalty it seemed obvious 'make peace no war' was the way to go. As for Pol-Den, on one hand it's a success for the Church, on the other a potentially unstable, unreliable, largish power that will reqire a constant attention from Rome.

aldriq:
These unions rarely last long in the hands of the AI, but I agree it's worth supporting it. And glad you made the most of a high-dip Pope, diplo-annex opportunity windows are often quite narrow.
As I said Pol-Den will require my constsnt assistance. As for my Italian holdings, I'm glad I finally got a chance to get some land closer to the capital (weakened Empire justifies it somehow).

What are the western powers up to in the New World?
The Protestant powers (England and France) are colonising a bit slowlier than normally. I might put a pic of the world situation with a later (but not next) update.

loki100:
while at the same time rather astutely building an alliance system to keep a balance of power
Actually the alliance is the worrying part. With Bohemia gone I have only Venice and Naples on my side. This would be not enough to face a land power like France or Austria; somehow it was impossible to ally Pol-Den.

Athalcor:
As I am a man of cliche, I vote for the name 'The Baltic Union' or 'The Baltic Commonwealth'.
I do like 'The Baltic Commonwealth' idea, as it would nicely snub the Protestant Sweden. :cool:

AFAIK Poland gets a special RR addition when overreaches in MM, does not it? GL with preserving it :D.
I believe this is no longer true for the version I'm playing. Still it'll be a pain to hold onto all those uncored provs in Denmark and Norway.

Wow, the Livonian Order still exists? Good for them :D. (I am a big Livonian and Curonian fan)
It does. But I'm afraid you're up for an unpleasant surprise here.

Also, buy CK 2, please...the amazing stories you could build with it! Your CK2 AAR would be so awesome :D! And it has Navarra with unique succession laws in it ;).
I did. And - blame on you! - I've had very little time to thik of, yet work on the update for, this aar. CK2 is so addictive! And amazingly bug-free too.

Ahriman:
Thought I'd chime in with a thought on the Pol-Den question. The classical way to deal with such a situation is to name it after the ruling dynasty, as in the Jagellonian Empire.
Welcome! As much as I like the Jagiellonian Empire concept, first historically it referred to Pol-Lith-Boh-Hun ambitions of the dynasty; secondly there are no Jagellons in my Pol-Den, and finally I depicted it as a kind of elective monarchy in my story.

Memento Mori:
About Poland, the Union of Sjælland looks nearly exactly like the Union of Lublin (except that it wasn't triggered by the death of a king IRL and the countries were different), so I guess the officiall name would be Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodów (Commonwealth of the Two Nations), which is nearly always shortened to Rzeczpospolita (Commonweallth). But I believe that "The Baltic Commonwealth" both sounds good and plausible (at least for non official use), so I vote for it.
I like the Union of Sjælland too. So this will be the official name, and "The Baltic Commonwealth" will -as you suggest - be the one for non-offical use, but the one the Papacy will address the country, just to show that the whole Baltic should be brought back to the True Faith.

As for my trick with Modena-Ferrara. Chris Taylor and CJL78 got it right. I wanted to avoid penalties for illegally occupying Modena. So I sold it to Ferrara, my long-time vassal, who incidentally has a core there too. Then I offer annexation and get a chance to core both provinces, albeit with autonomous modifiers. Still, I believe it was well worth it: two unis! :cool:

Chris Taylor:
I suppose it's nice for you to have a BIG, burly Catholic state to glower at mostly-Protestant central Europe... but heaven forbid Poland-Denmark comes out of the Great Northern War in possession of Sweden, too!
I doubt Pol-Den is strong enough to pull this through. Actually, even from the pics you can see that it would go down in no time had it not been supported by its allies: Naples and Portugal the Pope's humble peace missions.

Oh, and are you going to do anything deliberate to avert schism (like maybe sell off eastern territories to the Knights, or some suitable Catholic ally)? Or keep them and wait around to see what happens? :D
This is my biggest worry now. And I have no clue how to go about it. As for Italy and Urbino issue, see my answer to CJL78.

CJL78:
Great job annexing Ferrara and Modena (I've personally never seen a vassal annexation higher than "Maybe" in MMU), but Urbino is still out there :D
Thnx. Took some time to expand in Italy. But Urbino? Why? How could the righteous Pope invade an independent Catholic ruler's soverignty? :eek:hmy::p

I seriously doubt it will last long. Given Poland's navy, Sweden is likely to win without Poland able to build troops in Denmark-Norway, and whatever Sweden doesn't take I expect Denmark and/or Norway could revolt without Poland's ability to quell rebels there. But, it would be neat to see Poland unite all the lands between Russia and the HRE, so lets see what happens
You're 100% right it your estimation of the situation in the new country, hm.. The Baltic Commonwealth. It helps Sweden has a crappy ruler at the moment, and lacks powerful allies.

Kroisistan:
I have noticed a number of Schism events in your game. Is its MTTH directly related to how many provinces the Pope controls, regardless of whether you have cores in them? Or is it only because of expansion?
Suppose so, though I'm not sure.

Maybe the solution is to mod in a state to take some of your Eastern holdings off your hands. Looking at the Martinus VI map, the two most plausible states would be a Latin Empire, or a Kingdom of Jerusalem. I'd lean towards a KoJ that unifies your Syrian provinces and Cyprus with Venetian and Genoan holdings in Palestine. It could take at least 4 provinces off your hands, and it's more realistic than the Pope giving up Alexandria or Constantinople.
There's a notion! Still, we're talking 17th century now. All these areas you mentioned have been Cathlic for dacades if not over a century. Catholicism doesn't seem to need a champion to become the King of KoJ. Btw, who would be the one?
The idea of a Latin Empire is more tempting, but then please do note, the Papacy as such imo would be the new, reicarnation of Roma, come on, to some extent it already is: after all, with Rome and Constantinople within its borders, together with many other key areas in the Med, Naples and Venice as allies, Trebizond and KoSJ as sattelites, my Papacy has the width and breadth almost big enough to claim the heritage of Roma itself; especially now when the HRE Empire is a heretic!

Selzro:
Congratulations, gabor! You are now AARtist of the Month!
Thank you for the honour. A bit unexpected, as I do not consider myself skillful enough in the visual department to deserve it. (It's just copy paste in my case :p I'm nowhere near as good as the true artists who had been previously nominated.)
2Coats, Athalcor, aldriq, Marco Oliverio and CJL78 thank you for your congratulations. (CJL78 you make me feel like preserving Urbino's integrity until the end of the game :D)

all: Job reorientation, family life, and alotment asking to be tended with the spring that's coming have recently slowed down the pace of the updates in my arr. Sorry, it won't get better. Worse is to come: CK2's out. ;) And it's good, oh, so good.

Well that was tremendously disappointing.

I hope you're doing well, Gabor! And I hope that you find time for this fantastic AAR, but even if not I want to express that this has been a fantastic read.