• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
El Pip: Haha, yes there is some moral gymnastics going on there. However I'm sure a Dixie businessman lounging in a London gentleman's club will be twisting the other way, saying "How can a nation talk of liberty for the negro when they themselves are bound to a Queen and the nobility"? Total guffs but thats Americans for you. ;)

Selzro: Thanks you. Yes there's a lot of bugs and editting needed, however as I said at the top, this AAR's fluff is basically a cover for the clunky workings going on underneath. Don't look behind the curtain!

Thank you very much for doing the CSA proud. Not only do you not make it a simple story but one full of the turmoil and mental shenanigans that so characterize politics, especially those enjoyed like a fine sip of sweet tea. Excellent characterization with clear motivations, drawn from the real world in an AAR about the CSA? Absolutely following this. The vote chart was divine and I'm glad to see that Baton Rouge swung the way it should've. ;) Enjoying this immensely!

Communitarian!: Thanks you very much, really glad you're enjoying it. Louisana will be something of a liberal stronghold. Prior to the Civil War in my game it became overwhelmingly the target for immigration in the South, and by 1870-1880 will be almost 40% European, primarily Jews, Italians, Germans and Poles. As if New Orleans and the surrounding area wasn't enough of a cultural gumbo all ready. Also Stephens in real like despite being pro-slave was deeply opposed to nativist/anti-Catholic sentiments, so if any KKK analogues rears its head I imagine the Whigs will be a fierce opponent.

Sandino: Well the Democrats will be looking abroad in the next update, wait and see.

Hard luck that you have to keep an L-F party. They really are destructive in this game. The election update was very nicely written although I find the CSA's politics to be frightfully narrow. The two parties seemed rather similar and there didn't seem to be much opposition. I hope the CSA's political system won't turn into something like the RL USA's system where two virtually indistinguishable parties dominate politics.

Also Stephens in real like despite being pro-slave was deeply opposed to nativist/anti-Catholic sentiments, so if any KKK analogues rears its head I imagine the Whigs will be a fierce opponent.
If (when) the CSA gets a Pacific Coast what his view on the Yellow Peril? I'm just curious how far he has categorised the world, is it just skin colour or is there something else at work?

I am enjoying this more with each update. Your election coverage is brilliant.

Tommy4ever - I am going to kick myself when I get the answer, but what does L-F stand for?

Tommy4ever: I agree, ultimately the split is over foriegn policy. Slavery or at least 'keeping the black man down' is iron-tight consensus. Industrialisation and tariffs will grow in importance but the Confederacy is pretty homogenous for the time being. There will new waves of political thought that will shake things up in the 1880s and 1890s, while the 1910s will be quite tumultuous. For now the aristocratic interest is supreme.

El Pip: I think I'll give 'no comment' on the Pacific. On Chinese immigration? Well Stephens isn't on record to my knowledge on the issue however I imagine he would be solidly against it. It was a popular sentiment, and let's not forget the United States IOTL didn't abandon legislation blocking Chinese settlement until 1943. Apparently it was a bit embarassing having coolie laws on the books while the great Generalissimo Kai-Shek is one of your closest allies!

Getting at what I think you're trying to get at, Stephens was simply a normal Southern politician when it came to race, but one who wasn't hung up on WASP supremacy. Ultimately he saw white immigrants as inevitably becoming part of the American fabric over time, while Africans and Asians would be incapable of doing so. Also he took the seperation of church and state quite seriously so he had no qualms with Catholics or Jews.

Alfredian: Glad to know - tell your friends ;)

Plank of Wood: Bingo

Update tomorrow I think, also don't be shy people let your compliments and adoration flow like holy wine.

Personally I love the election updates, and the fact you do them for both the United and Confederate States of America. One little nitpick though, why did you make the Democrats Blue-ish and the Republicans Red? Weren't the parties colours reversed back in the 19th Century (like their Ideologies)? I'm curious as to what the future holds for Confederate politics in the 1890's, can we expect a Progressive Party a'la Teddy Roosevelt?

Well the campaign colour of Lincoln and the Republicans/National Union in the 1860s actually was Red. Party colours were quite hap-hazard in the 19th century though, with many individual candidates simply picking colours they liked. Though really I only learned this after making the maps, can't say I thought about it!

I don't want to give much away on future developments but the historical forces of Populism and Progressivism will rear their heads on both sides of the border but in varying ways.

Congratulations Jape. "New from Nowhere" is the WritAAR of the week for 6th-12th December. I'll update the WritAAR thread shortly. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. Well done and keep up the good work.

I'm impressed that you didn't finagle a Pacific coast in for the Confederacy. It kills the RP in the HOI2 CSA mod to see that extent to monterey. It tries to make the CSA strategically identical to the united states when there is no reason for it. A confederacy that's limited to the Atlantic gives more interesting story ideas. In this timeline, the confederacy might be the ones to try to build the Panama canal, in a bid to get their own shipping into the pacific.

Bang-up job your doing here, Jape. :D

I'm curious as to how Confederate influence in the rest of the Americas is going to expand, if at all.

Morrell8: Good to know

Redandwhite: Thank you once again, glad to know you're enjoying it.

Porkman: The CSA buying Mexican states to get to the Pacific is very much a cliche that I'm not terribly interested in. There are certain things about Turtledove's Southern Victory TL, mainly minor flavour elements that I really like, but I'm hoping to avoid alot of the worn-out ideas you see trotted out time and again when the CSA survives. I'm not saying my AAR will 100% original in where it goes, but I intend to give a reason for everything. The next few updates will certainly alter from the normal TL-191 order of things.

Sectorknight21: Why thank you. The Confederacy has many American interests, the situation in Mexico is of primary import for security reasons, Cuba as ever, I imagine as Confederate industry and commerce picks up, investment into Central American will become important, while slaveholder Brazil is an obvious friend to be courted. Then there's the possbility of a transoceanic canal. How these interest manifest, well wait and see. I will tell you (as its in the next update), the Dominican Republic will be first nation to enter Richmond's orbit.

Right thanks to my illness keeping me awake yet housebound, I've managed to finish off the 4th update early - however it shall be bereft of maps until later on.

csflag.png

News from Nowhere
IV

"A government must not waiver once it has chosen it's course. It must not look to the left or right but go forward."

225px-Extra_Billy_Smith-Virginia.jpg

C.S President William Smith

The Presidency of William Smith is often recollected, if at all, as a pleasantly uneventful one. This was in part thanks to the Democrats maintaining a strong majority within Congress, affording the Whigs little opportunity to successfully combat the Administration. By the time of Smith’s confirmation in March 1867 the Cotton Recession was fading as expanding European and U.S textile industry fed the Deep South with demand. In August, the Hampton Brothers Company opened the nation’s first major shipyards in Charleston, a sign of growing economic prosperity. Across the country unemployment slowly fell in line with rising profits, while outrages by Unionist Redeemers in Tennessee and Kentucky had largely run their course. The kidnap and disappearance of Congressman Jeremiah Wheaton in June was to prove a last great plot for the Redeemers, with their leader, William Brownlow[1] being arrested soon after, and later executed for treason in October. In January 1868, Confederate diplomats signed a trade treaty with President Baez of the Dominican Republic, part of growing relations between the nations, as well as a warning to neighbouring Haiti, the two nations forever skirmishing over their ill-defined border. During discussions Baez suggested the annexation of his nation to the C.S.A, however Smith via telegram politely declined the offer[2]. Instead his agents in Santo Domingo suggested a loan for the debt-stricken nation in return for future naval bases. This second deal would help to ultimately cement the Dominican Republic within the Confederacy’s orbit.

Later in the year, attention turned north as the United States moved towards her presidential election. President Tod had so far been a dependable if uninspiring head of state. The Union’s economy had remained relatively sluggish since the end of the Secession but Tod had overseen a major rise in employment, and had continued the Homestead initiative started under President Lincoln. However he had deeply divided society in refusing to abolish slavery at a federal level. Slavery in the Union by 1868 was relegated to a minority practice in the states of Maryland and Delaware, Missouri having abolished it in 1866 under a Republican administration. Tod argued the practice all but dead, however Radicals disagreed in principal and in May shocked the nation by winning the Republican Party’s nomination for the fire-breathing abolitionist, Senator Henry Wilson[3]. Wilson campaigned primarily for a Constitutional Amendment to abolish slavery and a punitive tariff, effectively an embargo, on Confederate cotton, calling it “the financial arm of the Slave Power, reaching across the border, infecting the Union through bribery and corruption”. Tod, having won the Democratic nomination without opposition, called the tariff a threat to economic recovery and cited his Administration’s successes in stabilising the banking sector, returning people to work, and the purchase of the “virgin lands” of Alaska from the Tsar[4]. Regardless, Tod was aware of the circumstances that had seen him elected in 1864 and saw slavery as the crucial issue. As such it was no coincidence in June when the Democratic-led legislatures of Maryland and Delaware put forward identical Bills calling for abolition with compensation for slave owners. When the Bills passed, the Republican programme was left deflated. Wilson, ever the ideologue, continued to call for an Amendment, despite little practical reason. As the campaign dragged on, focus came to rest on the so-called “Dixie Tariff”, which only helped to alienate the New England textile industry, normally a bedrock of Republican support. Wilson hopes were further dashed when Salmon P. Chase, a leading light of the Republican moderates attacked the proposal as counter-productive. Chase had hoped to swing Wilson away from folly, however as bitter political rivals, the Radical candidate, as proud as he was stubborn, took the criticism as a personal attack and soldiered on. For a second time, it seemed Republican factionalism had handed victory to the Democrats[5].

1868USPrez.png

Ultimately the 6 votes of Connecticut decided the Election

Back in the Confederacy, the rural population gave a collective sigh of relief on Wilson’s defeat. In Richmond, Whig Congressmen pointed to the proposed Dixie Tariff as a clear sign of the danger of the nation’s reliance on exporting cotton. John Bell of Tennessee called for the strengthening of the Confederacy’s own textile industry through legislation and protective tariffs, to remove farmers reliance on the orders of New England manufactures. Despite this worry caused by the Union election, the Confederacy’s own 1868 Congressional elections saw the Democratic programme of low taxes and free trade maintain control for another session. 1869 passed by without major incident, bar perhaps the arrival of a diplomatic mission from Tokyo. The exotic ambassadors attracted much attention amongst the socialites of Richmond, and following the signing of a treaty of friendship in September, President Smith and his Cabinet were each gifted a ceremonial katana. General ‘Stonewall’ Jackson, recently appointed Secretary of War, was particularly impressed with the Japanese blade, and soon substituted it for his traditional sabre when in uniform. Then in early1870, the ‘Cuban Question’ raised its head. For decades, the landed elite of the South had looked to the Spanish colony as a possible focus of expansion. Although they had primarily saw Cuba as a way of expanding slavery to maintain balance in the United States, the economic value of the ‘Jewel of the Antilles’ had not been lessoned by secession. By the turn of the decade the C.S.A received almost half of Cuban exports and in the eyes of many Confederate politicians was a natural addition to the young nation. As such in February, Pierre Soule, the Minister to Spain, received word from Smith to offer Madrid the sum of C$150 million for the island. At the time Spain was in the midst of flux as popular unrest had seen Isabella II forced to abdicate in 1868, leading to a prolonged search for a new monarch. In this situation the Cortes was unwilling to give up such a valuable colony as Cuba, with both nationalist and economic sentiments opposed to the idea. State Secretary Benjamin reacted to the refusal philosophically, quoting John Quincy Adams in his journal:

"There are laws of political as well as of physical gravitation; and if an apple severed from its native tree cannot choose but fall to the ground, Cuba, disjoined from Spain, incapable of self support, can gravitate only towards us, which by the same law of nature cannot cast her off from its bosom."

He added his own epilogue “the apple shall fall, or it shall be plucked”.

Bapaume-tableau-Faidherbe.jpg

March to the Rhine

Coincidently, the Spanish search for a monarch soon triggered the largest European war since 1815, with Paris irate over the possibility of a Prussian ruling in Madrid. Chancellor Bismarck played the French Emperor well in his efforts to provoke France in the name of uniting the German states in common cause, with Napoleon declaring war on Prussia in July 1870. The conflict proved to be a bloody slogging match as huge armies clashed on the frontier. By September the Prussians had pushed into France itself, marching towards Paris. However time and again the Germans failed in their efforts to surround and destroy French armies, losing precious men in the process. At the same time, French and Austrian diplomats raced to and fro from the Mexican embassy in Paris. The successful establishment of Maximilian in the Americas had greatly improved the previously tense Austro-French relations, and following Vienna’s humiliation at Prussian hands in 1866, the two nations’ diplomats had increasingly discussed the threat Berlin posed to the status quo. Ultimately mutual self-interest won over past grudges and in November, Bismarck cursed to hear Austrian forces had crossed the frontier in support of Napoleon. Soon crucial regiments were being redirected to face the new threat. By the end of the year numerically superior French forces led by General Faidherbe had pushed their enemy back across the border, with first Prussia’s ally Baden falling and then industries of the Rhineland. In the East, the Austrians were struggling against Prussian forces, however February 1871 saw Bavaria and Württemberg, Berlin’s remaining allies, switch sides in order to avoid French occupation. The ’stab in the back’ was too much for Prussian forces to cope with and within six weeks Allied forces marched through the streets of Berlin. The peace treaty signed in Dresden was a harsh one, with Prussia losing almost all of her 1866 gains, as well as her industrial heartlands to Austria, France and the new Kingdom of Rhineland.

While Confederate citizens read of violence in Europe in October 1870, they were beset by the loss of two of their national figures in as many weeks. The first was the hero of the Secession, Robert E. Lee. The nation was stunned by the loss of the victor of Camp Hill, and despite the General’s wishes for a quite burial, he was to be the first recipient of a Confederate state funeral. The procession through Richmond saw hundreds of thousands from the country and beyond gather to give their respects. Alongside Presidents Davis and Smith, representatives from a dozen nations, including controversially General William Tecumseh Sherman, Lee’s former nemesis, followed the coffin in procession, draped in the Stars and Bars. The great outpouring of grief over Lee’s death was soon cut short however, with the sudden death of the President himself only ten days later. Smith, already a septuagenarian when he took office, had fought hard to shake off the wizened caricature presented by his opponents, however he could not ignore his worsening health, which the strain of executive office had only exacerbated, and finally overcome him. On his passing, Vice-President James Seddon was quickly sworn in. A man known primarily for his less than robust health and his participation in the abortive 1861 Peace Convention[6], was seen as something of a damp squib and quickly garnered the nickname “Steady-on Seddon”. Little did anyone know at the time, he would become one of the most important figures in Confederate history.

TreatyDresden71.png

The 1871 Treaty of Dresden

--------------------------------------------------------------
[1] A staunch Tennessee Unionist, he was one of the few politicians to stay behind during the Civil War and campaign against the Confederacy, using connections in the Smokey Mountains to evade the authorities. During Reconstruction he became the state’s Governor and the Ku Klux Klan’s most hated enemy. Somehow I doubt he would have accepted Montreal lying down.
[2] Baez was the leader of a popular movement in the Dominican Republic in the 1860s to seek annexation by a major power - truly unique in Latin American history. IOTL the Spanish briefly reoccupied the nation in 1863, and later Baez requested the United States under Ulysses S. Grant to do the same. He was intrigued but Congress shot it down.
[3] The result of 1864 has convinced Radical Republicans of the pointlessness of a third-party solution. As such they entered the National Convention, unlike four years previous, united behind a single candidate from the get-go, winning the nomination before moderates have time to organise themselves.
[4] Contrary to popular belief, ‘Seward’s Folly’ was a relatively well-received move IOTL. Prior to the purchase Americans viewed Alaska as a land rich in fur, fish and mineral wealth just waiting to be exploited. I imagine in a world were the South and frontier lands of Arizona are lost, Alaska will be even more tempting for any U.S Administration.
[5] In game the Democrats did actually win in 1864 and 1868, despite the electorate of the United States seemingly being inclined to the Republicans
[6] An effort to prevent war between the seceding states and the Federal government. No major figures attended and it was widely regarded at the time as a pointless exercise in fence-sitting.

Last edited:
James *Seddon*? One of the most important figures in Confederate history?! This AAR takes the cliffhanger ending and redefines it! An early - perhaps imagined, par for the course with Prussia - stab in the back is very interesting indeed. A Kingdom of the Rhine.... Hmn. The footnotes are really excellent - For example, although I knew about [4] - Seward is practically a folk hero up here - [2] caught me off guard and I spent the last couple off minutes reading about it though. Oh, and of course [6] made me laugh out loud. :D It's a really nice touch, I can't say it enough.

In regards to your response to my comments - thank you muchly. Louisiana had a lot of that going otl as well, although the amount of cultures setting fort in the Big Easy right now sounds pretty incredible! I'm tempted to ask if a certain bombastic Kingfish'll be making any appearances, but for now am perfectly content to sit and wait. One last thing though-

Congratulations on your WritAAR of the week award! Well deserved indeed!

Prussia has been slapped down! No German Empire, that's got to have some pretty big implications.

Also the Foriegn Minister's note hopefully means the CSA will be wading onto Cuba's shore eventually - will we have to wait til 1898?