+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: (MOD) Oriental Mod

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    I would like to know too if this fantastic mod is still on board. If it is, I trust you'll do a great job, as you have, in fleshing out india and making it immensely enjoyable.

Good travails, whatever path you choose
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Hither & thither, perchance anon whither... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mayorqw View Post
    I would like to know too if this fantastic mod is still on board. If it is, I trust you'll do a great job, as you have, in fleshing out india and making it immensely enjoyable.

Good travails, whatever path you choose
    I also would be interested in knowing. This is an area of EUIII that needs some lovin'
    OPTIMUM SCHOLARUM COGITATIONIS
    A Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Mod focusing on Europe & Asia from 1411-1789.

"Go slow, don't get rushed, ask for help and, most importantly, remember that our scouts report vague rumors that life outside of EU3 exists" - 17blue17

Scripter Paradox Dev Team Trin Tragula's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice to see there is still interest for this mod
    It is still being worked on and has progressed, but slowly, during the the summer. There are some things I'm still not happy with though which is what has been holding it up.
    Most importantly I've not finished implementing the intended changes for the East India companies (let alone gotten the AI's to use them). I've also had problems with colonizers not colonizing nearly as much as they ought to in general.

Apart from that some new stuff has been added as well, mainly in north africa and the near east:
    I've revised the map in regards to Anatolia, the Balkans, Hungary, the Maghreb, Egypt, the Arabian peninsula, Upper Egypt, Nubia/Sudan/Ethiopia and changed associated tax and manpower values (as before all values are available in a spreadsheet in the mods folder). In general I've tried to keep provinces similar to historical administrative divisions of the states of the time (but this is of course not entirely possible or even desirable).
    The changes of these areas are more in line with what was done to the map of Persia in the HTTT version than what I did with India. This is because I found the area to be less misrepresented than India was. Changes to tax and manpower have again been chosen mainly using Angus Maddison historical population data.

I've also implemented many changes from Britnavfans Africa mod to make Africa somewhat more lifelike, no longer is it all one big culture group (I would love to do much more but I don't know a lot about African history and that area is not the main focus of the mod right now either).

Getting the Ottomans to perform better has also been a goal (for one thing balancing their core provinces compared to other areas on the map is hard as they actually experienced large scale negative population growth from the mid to late game while western Europe's population increased a lot during the same period, in vanilla they're definitely too poor in 1399 but probably not so much in 1800).

There has also been some changes to global mechanism compared to vanilla DW (but no major changes direcly to western Europe). Most importantly:
    I've been trying to work out a version of DW's buildings that I'm happy with and that works with the mod in general.
    Supply, demand and availability of trade goods has also been tweaked some.
    I've also been incorporating a modified version of the InExtenso mod by Wraitii as I really like the idea of distance playing a role in the game and it also ties nicely in with giving government buildings more of a clear purpose.

Perhaps I ought to just try to finalize a working version of the companies, finalize the map changes and get a release version ready? It seems there is interest for it and I could probably use some feedback on the changes (mostly I've so far been doing hands of tests of my changes by leaving the game to play itself with Kongo as the player nation).

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Trin Tragula View Post
    Perhaps I ought to just try to finalize a working version of the companies, finalize the map changes and get a release version ready? It seems there is interest for it and I could probably use some feedback on the changes (mostly I've so far been doing hands of tests of my changes by leaving the game to play itself with Kongo as the player nation).
    I vote this option. XP It'd be nice to play it again.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

A mod called Chihans' MOD is currently working on east Asia perhaps you should combine you efforts to bring more love to the most neglected areas in EU III. (besides the Americas)
    And save yourself some work too.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm looking forward to the DW release!
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

And it's comming I just haven't found any time to sit down with a computer in the last two weeks or so :-/

Looking forward to this! The only mod I know of with a decent India map is MEIOU, I liked the way that they used wasteland to make the subcontinent really feel cut off from the rest of the world, with the himalayas only being passable at 2 points IIRC. The other changes sound great too.

This is a most intriguing map. Are you working on southeast Asia as well as the Indian Subcontinent?
    Malaya Mod v.0.03 - Out Now
    Click Here

200k clubVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

How's it coming, Mr Tragula?
    Chief of the Harappa in Dawn of Man (on hold )

AARs
    Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken AAR (complete)

"To Agitius, thrice consul, the groans of the Britons... the barbarians drive us to the sea, the sea drives us to the barbarians; between these two means of death we are either killed or drowned."

I finally managed to get enough spare time to get a release version together :-)

The DW version of this mod is now uploaded and available from the first post of this thread.
    There's still loads to be done to get this mod where I want it to be but I think I've completed a playable version again (or so my many, mainly hands-off, playtest suggest)

The main focus remains on Asia in general and India in particular but many other areas have also been expanded upon now (mainly the near east). Any input/opinions/feedback/bug reports is much appreciated (especially when it comes to the changes to Africa where I am a bit out of my element) as the mod is very much a work in progress.
    Asia east of the subcontinent still remain untouched but hopefully that will change in the future as well.

For those who don't want to go to the first page:
    Oriental Mod for EU3: Divine Wind (beta patch of april 20th 2012).
    As before I hope you enjoy it and welcome any comments, feedback, bug reports, etc

Description:

The main aim of the Oriental mod is to increase the accuracy and content for the world outside of Europe. Particularly the world to the east of Europe has been given much more attention. It's main feature is an entirely redone setup for India and South Asia. With new tags, a new map and many modified and added decisions and events.
    It does however also attempt to improve on many other parts of the game, including eastern Europe and Africa and it may well move into other areas in the future.
    Apart from the regionally oriented changes there are a number of changes to general global game rules and the like. Population is handled much differently from the base game, as is centre of trade generation, legitimacy and religious policy (mainly for Muslims and Hindus so far though).

In time the mod will hopefully also cover east and south east Asia but that is still in the future for now.

Features:

(all of which are described in more detail in the included pdf manual)

Regional Changes:
    • 129 new provinces, mainly in India, Transoxiana, Afghanistan and Persia, but also South Eastern Europe, the Maghreb, Levant, Ethopia, Kongo and Tibet.
    • Over 100 new or changed countries with histories, flags, monarchs and heirs, etc. (gone are the ficticious Indian countries). Some of the vanilla flags have also been replaced (so hopefully there are no more 21st century designer logos among them).
    • East India Companies that can expand and become vassal countries for European powers. (This feature isn't entirely finished yet unfortunately, but it is working and much expanded from the HTTT version of the mod).
    • A mechanism for the rise of religious sects in Persia (leading up to the formation of a shiite persian state).
    • Redone heir generation for oriental countries (harems, favourites and fratricides rather than regency councils for minors will be the norm here).
    • New ways for the steppe countries to become sedentary (as well as more features specific to them)
    • Much expanded religious tolerance features including the game keeping track of religious tolerance in indian sultanates with possibilities for reactive revolts and the eventual (historical) birth of a wave of Islamic orthodoxy with probable conflicts with either the ulema or the sultanates hindu subjects being inevitable.
    • The addition of the Sikh religion and it's rise to political power.
    • Special modifiers, events and decisions to cover the specific problems of the Deccan sultanates and the eventual rise of the Marathas.
    • Many minor decisions, events, history and other changes to Ethiopia, Egypt the Maghreb, etc (and the mod also integrates BritNavFans Africamod as a base for any changes to Africa).
    Global changes:
    • City population growth entirely redone. It is now entirely dependent on the factors of the specific province where the city is the capital.
      Cities may increase quickly in population but may also decrease during bad harvests or wars. Most cities however will increase or decrease to a population the land can support and stay there. No more eternal city growth.
      Many random events have been modified to have an effect on city growth in different parts of your country.
    • A new, optional, way to generate CoTs. The thresholds for the normal CoT generation have been increased.
    • All new building system that ties into the administrative efficiency system from Wratiis InExtenso mod.
    • Changes to many other of EU3's different rules and decisions. Among other things these will make countries early on slightly more restricted than they are in vanilla EU3: DW. These restrictions will be made lighter as your nation develops during the game however.

Download:

Oriental Mod for DV version 1.0
    Oriental Mod for DV version 1.0 (for those that use the EU3 Spritepacks)

The only difference between these two versions is one line in the land.txt file. It is however a necessary change if the mod is to use the right sprite levels if you've bought the sprite pack DLC:s (as these DLC do change the land.txt file).

Screenshots:

India & Persia 1399:

India & Persia, Political Map, 1658:

India 1820:

India at the time of the fall of Vijayanagar, Political Map:

South India, Political Map, 1399:

Gujarat, Political map, 1399:

Central Deccan Plateau, Political Map, 1399:

Bengal, Terrain Map, 1399:

Doab, Terrain Map, 1399:

Punjab & Kashmir, Terrain Map, 1399:

Rajputana & Sindh, Political Map, 1399:

Bahmani Sultanate Factions:

Mughal-Rajput events:

Anatolia 1399:

The Levant, Caucasus and western Iran, political map, 1468:

Maghreb 1399:

Kongo:

The old HTTT version:
    This is a mod that has been a side project of mine for a long while. The mod itself cannot be considered done yet (and has grown from changes I originally made for my own enjoyment) but it is quite playable and includes a redrawn Indian map which is something it seems many would like to see. Apart from new maps events and decisions for India and Persia it also features dynamic population growth for province capitals, a modified way to handle westernization, a modified heir system for Muslims and Hindus and a new way to handle steppe states.

I hope you enjoy it and welcome any feedback The mod will be updated and worked on if there is interest (well it probably will anyway for my own enjoyment) but it might take a while before I do so. Part of the reason I decided to upload this for general use is because I haven't had time to work on it for quite a while and I probably won't for at least a while more. Still I thought some of you might want to have a look (especially as it covers mostly regions not touched much by the upcoming Divine Wind).
    The ambition of the mod is to cover Asia in general but so far only Persia, Transoxiana and India has been touched. Persia and Transoxiana only lightly so.

For more information see the readme included with the download. Here are some screenshots in the meanwhile:

EDIT: For Screenshots of the upcoming DW version see that last posts of this thread, these are all HTTT screenshots.

EU3 and it's expansions is a great game but I've always felt the research when it comes to Asia was left behind. This was quite evident to me when editing the map as the Indian map looked nothing like a historical map but I could see how the map became more and more accurate and detailed the closer i got to Europe while moving on westwards. Likewise I feel the Asian states and their history simply hasn't gotten enough attention if compared to their historical importance.
    This is my way to try to bring the region up to the standards of the rest of the game. The goal hasn't been to create too many too complicated systems within the game to do this but rather to make it play as intuitively as Europe and to come alive like that region does. If I managed to achieve that I don't know

Features:
    Asia:
    • 98 new provinces, mainly in India, Transoxiana, Afghanistan and Persia. (and many changed ones)
    • Over 100 new or changed countries with flags, monarchs and heirs, etc. (gone are the ficticious Indian countries). Some of the vanilla flags have also been replaced (so hopefully there are no more 21st century designer logos among them).
    • East India Company vassal countries for europeans.
    • A mechanism for the rise of religious sects in Persia (leading up to the formation of a shiite persian state).
    • New ways for the steppe countries to become sedentary (as well as more features specific to them, they get their own unit group and tech group)
    • Much expanded religious tolerance features including the game keeping track of religious tolerance in indian sultanates with possibilities for reactive revolts and the eventual (historical) birth of a wave of islamic orthodoxy with probable conflicts with either the ulema or the sultanates hindu subjects being inevitable.
    • The addition of the Sikh religion and it's rise among the Jats of northern India.
    • Special modifiers, events and decisions to cover the specific problems of the deccan sultanates and the eventual rise of the Marathas.
    Global changes:
    • City population growth entirely redone. It is now entirely dependent on the factors of the specific province where the city is the capital.
      Cities may increase quickly in population but may also decrease during bad harvests or wars. Most cities however will increase or decrease to a population the land can support and stay there. No more eternal city growth.
      Many random events have been modified to have an effect on city growth in different parts of your country.
    • A new, optional, way to generate CoTs. The thresholds for the normal CoT generation have been increased.
    • Some changes to sliders and other balance changes (free subjects increases tolerance slightly, narrowmindedness decreases it, serfdom slightly boosted, effects on science for innovativeness and free subjects have been switched)

NOTE: The mod is bundled with the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum map mod as I had that installed when I made it and I haven't found a way to make my new map work independently from it. This also means that in order for rivers and fonts to look like intended you will have to use two .bat files included with the mod. Included are also .bat files that restore these files to their vanilla status.

Download link for Oriental Mod version 1.0.2:
    EDIT:Version 1.0.1 = Changed capitalization of folders in the mod directory. Should only have an effect on the scenario editor but it's just as well these match with the base game's directories.
    Version 1.0.2 = General cleaning up of lots of minor errors (thanks to the validator and the scenario editor) as well as some fixes to really old parts of the mod as well as some stuff that was added right before release.
    The east india companies are now also part of province history (earlier they would be formed after startup if a date was picked when they could) and hopefully Persian unification will start a little later.
    Mirror decisions for many cultural decisions have been added for the AI only in order for them to be able to actually take them (and in order for me to be able to list them in their history files). This means that the deccan sultanates have better chances of survival now when AI controlled.
    For next version (whenever that comes) I will be going over the Vijayanagara events some as the event chain that may lead to their break up was never pretty and in any event seems to work in other ways than intended.
    Countries are generally more prone to implosion when overextending in the mod though as the high tax and manpower values means rebells are quite nasty within India.

Last edited by Trin Tragula; 30-04-2012 at 14:39.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Woo!
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This looks excellent, well done!

(By the way, does anyone else find it funny that there were almost no mods dealing with India and then in about a months time 3 are being worked on and 2 of them have been released?)

EDIT: A quick play through has made a liar of me: my words cannot do it justice! This mod is simply incredible (and if you don't mind I plan to borrow some ideas ). The map, the new countries, the decisions, India is like Europe now. The amount of detail is incredible, and putting the Indian and Muslim religions in the same group solves so many issues it's amazing.
    Last edited by impspy; 30-04-2012 at 09:09.
    The Historical Plausibility Project

"Oh Lord Shiva, protect us from the fang of the cobra, the claw of the tiger, and the vengeance of the Afghan" -old Hindu prayer

Nicely done with a thourough manual. I can tell a lot of effort went into this. Would it be alright if I integrate the India portion of your mod into Return to Glory?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    I downloaded it, but while I'm in the loading screens I get an error that says:
    Code:
    File exception
    Exception in: discfile.coo, line: 433. Description:Could not open file:
    common\units\ottoman_eastern_carabinier.txt
    Then it crashes Maybe I have an unclean version of DW (since everybody seems to be playing it fine)? What checksum is required?

And congrats on this, it looks lovely
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis IV

Same problem here.

mayorqw:
    If you downloaded the version for people not using spritepacks that may explain it, I just realized that one contained a much older version of the land.txt and therefore it might not reference units correctly (which seems to be the problem in the error report you posted).

I've updated the download link in the first post and my post above to a version that will hopefully work better. If not we'll have to try something else. The files both work fine for me right now :-/
    The version of EU3 DW they've been built for is the beta of April 20th 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by impspy View Post
    This looks excellent, well done!

(By the way, does anyone else find it funny that there were almost no mods dealing with India and then in about a months time 3 are being worked on and 2 of them have been released?)

EDIT: A quick play through has made a liar of me: my words cannot do it justice! This mod is simply incredible (and if you don't mind I plan to borrow some ideas ). The map, the new countries, the decisions, India is like Europe now. The amount of detail is incredible, and putting the Indian and Muslim religions in the same group solves so many issues it's amazing.
    Thanks for the high praise. This has been a side project for me for a long time now and has taken many hours (fun work for the most part, but researching royal dynasties for one province minors can get a bit tiresome). I must say I don't think it's like Europe yet though, that continent has twice as many provinces and many more events and decisions still. With the new projection of DW I might yet make some additions to the Indian map actually (and I did so to the Himalayan region and South India already).

And as for the simultaneous releases, I guess it's simply time for India to get some attention. It's been passed by by many mods for a long time by now (probably in part due to the difficulty in researching the area using online sources, it takes sitting down and reading plenty of actual books I've found). The more mods there are the better, we're bound to go about stuff in different ways as well as come up with some different solutions to common problems (and borrow as many ideas as you want to). The variation between the mods is going to be a nice contrast to when no mods did many changes at all to this region. I'm happy I got to compiling a release version now though, as it has been at roughly this stage for a while now without me having time to actually do so

There are still some undeveloped features and unsquished bugs around and plenty of choices that I'm guessing people might disagree with in this mod however (so it's not "done" by far yet). Fresh eyes looking at/playing this will probably be rather beneficial for it.

EDIT:
    @ mayorqw and Sir Iain: I've uploaded yet another version now (apart from the one referenced at the begining of this post) that fixed something else that might've been the problem.
    Apart from this I'm not sure what to do except ask if you are sure you both have the eu3 beta patch from april 20th. Especially as the beta patches did do something to the file referenced in the error message.
    Last edited by Trin Tragula; 30-04-2012 at 14:41.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Great! Must try when I have more time.

The error reported earlier is caused by trying to load the mod without the beta patch, I had the same issue but once I updated to the most recent beta version everything worked as expected.

I never tried this mod for HttT and I'm kind of overwhelmed at how much it changes, I was expecting just a map mod and some flavour events/decisions, not a major overhaul of some core game systems and painstakingly detailed event / decision chains for every state in India and more!

A few minor things I noticed which may be bugs:

The Turkish mission to conquer Anatolia gives conquest CB and cores (when completed) on all of Turkey, but the mission itself fires when you own all of Anatolia (the map region, which is essentially only the western part of Turkey and excludes all of the Beyliks present in 1399 other than Candar) which seems a little strange. It's also possible for the mission to fire and then instantly complete for the same reason. Changing 'anatolia' to 'turkey' in the success field will fix both of these issues as well as making the mission less 'overpowered' for a sneaky human player .

The 'defeat the Byzantine Empire' mission doesn't do anything if you annex BYZ directly in a single war, because the abort clause requires you to not own 151 and the success clause requires you to have a truce with BYZ (which you don't because BYZ no longer exists so the game doesn't recognise that you just concluded a war with them). Not sure what to suggest here! I assume the idea is to encourage the AI to have lots of wars which involve beating up BYZ, making them revoke cores etc. before annexing them after 1430, which would be a nicely historical outcome.

In general I like the mapchanges and the new decisions and buildings a lot, my only comment about the map so far is that Samogitia should really have a port, I guess this is a map error that's been carried over from the original Paradox map but it's quite a significant oversight given that it was Lithuania's only Baltic port for centuries; even under the PLC it was the only Baltic port directly under the Grand Duchy's authority rather than under the Polish crown or other dependent states.

Thanks again for releasing such an interesting mod, I really hope you continue to improve it given how impressive it seems so far.
    Last edited by Rabid; 30-04-2012 at 18:16.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis IV

Impressive indeed! It's working now that I've installed the beta patch, and it works great!
    I suspect you haven't been working o mission all that much tough. Trying the recreate the Mughal empire from Babur's kabulistan, it became apparent that i'd have to conquer stuff with missions or CB's.
    The map looks great. As a general question, did you ever consider using the DAO or the MEIOU map as base instead of Paradox' map?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast