+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fonts, colors and sizes

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Fonts, colors and sizes

I like to make things more interesting and look nicer in my AARs by the use of different fonts, font sizes and colors. But I can't memorize all the types, so I thought to myself, why don't I make a reference so I can check each of them without trying them out. I also thought others may be interested. So, here it is.

EDIT: As per Surume's suggestion, I included the HTML tag's used for the effects, and I also added some more stuff you can do with different tags.

Size

HTML tag:
    Code:
    [SIZE="X"]Text to be re-sized[/SIZE]
    Where X is an integer from 1 to 7.

Size 1
    Size 2 (That's the default.)
    Size 3
    Size 4
    Size 5
    Size 6
    Size 7
    (Using a number larger than 7 with the tag will result in size 7.)

Color

HTML tag:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Color-name"]Text to be re-colored[/COLOR]
    Where Color-name is valid color-name string. You can use one of the following names from the drop-down menu:

First row:

black
    dieanna
    darkolivegreen
    darkgreen
    darkslateblue
    navy
    indigo
    darkslategray

Second row:

darkred
    darkorange
    olive
    green
    teal
    blue
    slategray
    dimgray

Third row:

red
    sandybrown
    yellowgreen
    seagreen
    mediumtorquoise
    royalblue
    purple
    gray

Fourth row:

magenta
    orange
    yellow
    lime
    cyan
    deepskyblue
    darkorchid
    silver

Fifth row:

pink
    wheat
    lemonchiffon
    palegreen
    paleturquoise
    lightblue
    plum
    white

You can also use other colors found on this list. I use gold a lot, but lightsalmon for example looks aweful in my opinion Also note that adult males can only diferentiate between about 16 colors.
    For colors, the default depends on which part of the forum you are on at the moment, because it depends on the background color. Links have different colors (which overwrites the set color!).

Fonts

HTML tag:
    Code:
    [FONT="Font-name]Text to be re-sized[/FONT]
    Where Font-name is any string from the list below.

Actually, that is the most important one. You actually get an example for size and for the 40 "built-in" colors, but not for the fonts. So here they are:

Arial
    Arial Black
    Arial Narrow
    Book Antiqua
    Century Gothic
    Comic Sans MS
    Courier New
    Fixedsys
    Franklin Gothic Medium
    Garamond
    Georgia
    Impact
    Lucida Console
    Lucida Sans Unicode
    Microsoft Sans Serif
    Palatino Linotype
    System
    Tahoma
    Times New Roman
    Trebuchet MS
    Verdana (This is the default.)

Word formating

You can also use Italic, Underlined and Bold letters/words. The HTML-tags are as follows:
    Code:
    Italic; Underlined; Bold

Paragraph formating

You can adjust on which side a paragraph is shown:
    Left-side
    Center

Right-side

Tha HTML-tags are:
    Code:
    Left-side
    Center
    Right-side
    Note here that you can only use these for paragraphs. If you add such a tag in the middle of a paragraph, the forum engine will automatically put a new line at that point, so you can't force one part of the text to the left and the other part to the right!

@Forum Admins/Developers: By the way, if it would be possible, I would highly appreciate a "JUSTIFY" text positioning tag!

Other stuff

There are other tags you can use. Here are the ones I know of.

CODE allows you to put formated text into your writing (although it looks kinda stupid, so not the best method) and none of the forum engine's own formating will mess things up (like deleting every spaces from the beginning of a line). You can see the results above. You can even put CODE blocks inside CODE blocks, so I can't show the HTML tag in a CODE block. The syntax is the same as for every other tag, without parameters. Like the bold letters, except you don't type B within the []-s, but CODE instead.

QUOTE can be used with or without a parameter.
    The result will look similar to the CODE block, except it won't be formated. The paramter can be either a string (ie. a sequence of characters, like "Slan"), or a string and a number separated by a semicolon (. This is an example of QUOTE without a parameter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slan
    This is an example of QUOTE with only a string as a parameter. Note that the engine says "Originally posted by ...", so it won't really work for quoting Hitler for example. Or at least not in any serious sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slan View Post
    This is an example of QUOTE with a string and a number. The string is the name of the quoted, just like above, and the number is the ID of the post you are quoting. Again, this is meant for in-forum quoting, not historical people.
    If you want to quote historical people, I would either suggest using the parameterless version and adding in the quoted person's name after the quote, separated with a '-', or simply leaving out the entire QUOTE tag, and using Italics instead.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
    In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LIST is used to (guess what) list different items. There are two versions that I know of: with "1" as the parameter and with no parameter (or anything else as a parameter I guess...). The HTML-tag is:
    But this is only the frame of the list. You will need to separate the items by a[*] tag.
    Here's an example with no parameter:
    • First item.
    • Second item.
    • Third item.
    Another example, with "1" as parameter:
    1. First item.
    2. Second item.
    3. Third item.

INDENT is used to push text to the right a bit. (Sorry, I can't really explain it any better ) This, again, is a text-formating tag, so it will effect the entire paragraph. I never really found any good use for it, but that's probably just me. Here's an example:
    This text is a bit to the right compared to the rest.
    This is even more to the right.
    And this is even more.
    As you can see above, this will also increase the space between lines, which is exactly why I don't find it usefull. I would use it to put the first line of a paragraph a bit to the right, to make paragraphs more recognisable (we use it for books around here, and it makes wonders!), but it doesn't work like that.
    To illustrate the above statement, here's some longer text, which will overflow to the next line, so you will see that the entire paragraph is pushed to the right. I guess the only proper use for this "INDENT" tag is for quotes. For example, Wikipedia uses this to that effect.
    There's a 'Decrease Indent' button on the interface, but it does nothing as far as I understand...
    Last edited by Slan; 28-11-2010 at 12:47.
    Sir NeoCore Slan, OLIR, beta of FtM, appointed judge of Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest, Fan of the Week (22-11-2011) and I also play HoItCG.
    The Historical Plausibility Project 1.0.4 for HoI3, 2.0 for HoI3 - Semper Fi and 2.7 for FtM

My latest work from my Ink Well (which is post #200 in the Ink Well thread):
    Hitler's gamble - An alternative German Strategy (Vanilla HoI3 - Semper Fi 2.03c) finished
    Ten Reasons why Europa Universalis III is the worst game EVER (Vanilla EU3 - Divine Wind) finished
    The New Adventures of the United Nations... in Space - A Space Empires V AAR canceled after Season I

"Always write things on the forums that you’d be happy for your mom to read." - Fredrik Wester

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Thanks Slan, thats a handy reference!

I wasnt aware i could use other colors that are not in the default list, thanks for that link
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Maybe you also want to include the HTML tags which you use with these. and how to put them in. For example, with the size to modify it you would type the following.

[SIZE="2"] [/SIZE.] (period added to make the tags visible.)

I know that the forum allows for those to be automatically put into place with a preselected text, but I know that when I'm writing that I make sure to write these in by hand, as I find it faster. Also, this would allow for people who don't know proper tags to correct them more easily when they make errors.

Other wise this looks classy. Maybe you should display italics, underlines, strikethroughs, and whatever else you can do with forum writings
    By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to invent. -Emerson

WhAAR? A Nowhaar of Iceland - A V2 1.2 Iceland AAR - 12th Place in Alexspeed's Victoria 2 Contest - Abandoned

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

There are also some other fonts you can use that are not in the list, such as papyrus, calibri, rockwell and perpetua, plus several others

Topaz-Fisted Demi-God Moderator Mr. Capiatlist's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    You can also use hex triplets for more precise color control!

Input:
    color="#CFB53B"
    -Mr. Capiatlist (Ink well):

When I speak in Rose, I do so as a Moderator. :: Forum Rules | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2 | Interactivity Rules
    (Never quote or otherwise publicly respond to my rose text. If you have a problem: PM me.)

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Whatever you do, keep in mind that people use different color schemes for the forum. I use the "vb4 Blue" scheme where the background of the text is light grey. Only the colors of the first, second and third row are entirely legible for me. Row 4 has a bunch of colors that are too bright to read well, and in row 5 all the colors are too bright. The green highlights that you use for your headings look awkward on the grey background of "vb4 Blue", but they're readable.

On the other hand, when I change to "DeepOceanEdited", the background becomes dark blue, and the colors of rows 1 and 2 become a pain in the ass to read.

So please, stick to row three for your color selection!! If you wish all users to be able to read your texts well.

The BEST thing would actually be, if you don't use any color at all, because the forum will change the color of non-highlighted text so that it is perfectly readable. It's white on blue with the "DeepOceanEdited" scheme, and black on light grey with the "vb4 Blue" scheme. Highlighted is not adjusted so you may end up with blue on blue or gold on grey which are awful combinations.

I see many AARs where authors use gold, yellow or other bright colors for text highlights, and it's a pain to read those colors!!! Please consider all users before picking your colors.

Field Marshal
    Victoria 2

Just to show how different the colors look:

Left one: "vb4 Blue". Right one: "DeepOcean Edited" (which I suspect you are using)

Note how the regular text ("First Row") adapts, but none of the color highlights do...

Row #3 is clearly the best for both color schemes.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Please also be advised that the forum has restrictions on what you can use in your signature - default font and font size only, ten lines or less, no extreme use of colors, etc. Check the FAQ if you have any questions.

In general I find less is more. Lots of colors can be distracting, for example.
    Last edited by Director; 01-12-2010 at 02:00.
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Field Marshal
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    Please also be advised that the forum has restrictions on what you can use in your signature - default font and font size only, ten lines or less, no extreme use of colors, etc. Check the FAQ if you have any questions.

In general I find less is more. Lots of colors can be distracting, for example.
    Post does not compute. Your own signature has blue text.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan07 View Post
    Post does not compute. Your own signature has blue text.
    That's not that extreme
    Sir NeoCore Slan, OLIR, beta of FtM, appointed judge of Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest, Fan of the Week (22-11-2011) and I also play HoItCG.
    The Historical Plausibility Project 1.0.4 for HoI3, 2.0 for HoI3 - Semper Fi and 2.7 for FtM

My latest work from my Ink Well (which is post #200 in the Ink Well thread):
    Hitler's gamble - An alternative German Strategy (Vanilla HoI3 - Semper Fi 2.03c) finished
    Ten Reasons why Europa Universalis III is the worst game EVER (Vanilla EU3 - Divine Wind) finished
    The New Adventures of the United Nations... in Space - A Space Empires V AAR canceled after Season I

"Always write things on the forums that you’d be happy for your mom to read." - Fredrik Wester

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    This is a great thread!
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

+ Reply to Thread