+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cities in Motion - Developer Diary #1 - A Prelude

Post Cities in Motion - Developer Diary #1 - A Prelude

Hi to everyone from a cold place called Finland! I’m Karoliina, and I work as a game designer at Colossal Order, a game studio. We have been working on a PC title, Cities in Motion, for some time now. Cities in Motion is a public transportation tycoon game inspired by the great classics Traffic Giant and Transport Tycoon. The development has been super exciting and we want to share the experience with you. You can expect a bi-weekly article posted on the Paradox Forums about the game and the team working on it.

So, let me tell you more about the game. Cities in Motion is a nice mix of management and construction. You can build a transportation network of stops, stations, and rails for many different vehicle types, and then adjust ticket prices, maintenance costs, and wages to achieve the perfect balance. The game begins in 1920 with a timeline of 100 years, and during the different eras, the cities’ economies will fluctuate according to global economical changes. So as the leader of the fleet, it’s important for you to check the budget often and learn to anticipate how the prices will develop to make the most of your business.

Why did we want to make Cities in Motion, you might ask? One of the main inspirations was our team's passion for transportation games. We love management simulations and are fond of watching a living, breathing city with numerous citizens going about their daily lives. Our main goal in Cities in Motion has been to give you this feeling of a bustling city, ever changing and growing, with lots of people living and working in it. Every person living in a city is unique: they have a name, a home, and a workplace. Citizens have their own cars but would prefer reasonably priced, fast public transportation to get to their destinations. Can you offer it to them?

We feel that putting an emphasis on the citizens brings much to the game, that transporting people might be the most exciting. We also wanted to focus on the architecture and on how to present the feel of real cities. We chose four European cities to be the canvas for your transportation network. Since each city has its own special atmosphere, we had team members visit Vienna, Berlin, and Amsterdam to get the proper feel and bring back pictures of the beautiful places and architecture that we could use in the game.

Besides the uniqueness of the citizens, another reason for choosing to limit the cargo to passengers was that we wanted a well-scaled game that focuses on those beautiful European cities. With a small team, we couldn't make a huge, epic game, so our focus was on well-designed maps as well as interesting transportation methods. The stunning graphics that show the beauty of the cities are the great work of our talented artists.

Attachment 30464
    A screenshot of the Vienna map.

We at Colossal Order want to offer you the challenge of building and managing your own transportation system for 100 years in the life of a growing city and a fluctuating economy. Can you do it better than they do it in the real world?

Kind regards,

Karoliina Korppoo
    Cities in Motion’s lead designer
    Colossal Order Ltd

Attachment 30460
    Last edited by co_martsu; 20-12-2010 at 11:48.

Awesome developer diary, very interesting read.

Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks for the fantastic updates!

P.S. If possible, include cheats for those not to good with handling the economy, but do indeed enjoy transportation games.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Guess its time to go bug Mattias so I can play the latest version.. I look forward to this game ALOT!

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This seems very interesting, I'm looking forward to more!

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    I wanna try this one!
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesV2 BetaPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

When you say the economic situation will fluctuate, do you mean it changes according to how it happened in history, or is it procedurally generated? So can I expect a crash in 1929, or just recessions of varying intensity every decade or so?
    The Little Unciv that Could - A Let's Play AAR of Heart of Darkness as Japan (Featured in AARlander Edition 8)
    Let Europe Burn! - A Norse Let's Play AAR of The Old Gods

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I still love TTD, I hope I will love this game too.

I have a question, that probably many other TTD fans have too:
    How easily modable will the game be?
    -EU III modable (easy)
    -OpenTTD modable (medium)
    -Sim City modable (hard)

For example could I add new maps, vehicles, etc. with ease (like EUIII) or do I have to be a programmer (like with SimCity)?
    "The great masses of the people will more easily fall for a big lie, than for a small one." - Adolf Hitler
    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao Zedong
    "War is a continuation of politics by other means." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz
    "To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Vegetius
    "You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word." - Alphonso "Scarface" G. Capone
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin J. E. Rommel

Inb4 Belegs32
    Now, let's read.

Edit:
    Your goals are promising. Looking forward what's actually realized in the coming DD's.
    Last edited by Romtos; 22-11-2010 at 15:07.

Hi! Thanks for your questions. Here's a couple of answers:

The game has a map editor, so you can build your own maps. Otherwise the game is hard to modify.
    The economic fluctuation is generated, so the recessions and booms are not tied to historical events.

And surely we are very much looking forward for you to try Cities in Motion

So it's not possible to add additional modes of transportation, for example?

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Will the dev team add new maps and vehicles themselves as free or playable DLC later after the game is released?

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Fantastic news! OpenTTD is one of my fav games of all time, so I'm really looking forward to this.
    1 Member of Parliament
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: Secularism
    Ideology: Green
    Issues: Climate/Peace
    Current Work: Comittees of defense and foreign affairs.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Excited...
    /MCMLXXXIX

Pater Familias of WW-forum Rysz's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Looking good, I am hoping next dev diaries will focus on the gameplay!

Nice work by Paradox to get involved with this game and having them on the forum as well
    WW-lite: Villager (22) Wolf (12) Seer (6). Of which; Draw (1), Eaten (11) as seer (3), Lost otherwise (5), Lynched as wolf (11), as villager (4), as seer (1)
    Won as villager in WWL LXXX: The Grey Coat, WWL XCIC: Snow Crash and WWL C: Code Geass. Won as seer in WWL LXXXIX: The Dark Knight and WWL CXXXI. Won as WOLF in WWL CLX

-------------
    WW: Wolf (4) Cultist (3) Hunter (2) Witness (2), Villager (3), Rival (1), Liar (1). Of which; Lynched as wolf (3), as cultist (2), as witness (2), Eaten as villager (1), as Liar (1), lost as rival (1)
    Subbing Winning Wolf in WW XXXVIII (Thistletooth), Subbed Winning Hunter in WW XXXIX: Cavemen (Olaus Petrus), Winning Cultist in WW XL
    Winning Hunter in WW XLIII: Escape from Monkey Island, Winning Cursed Seer's Apprentice in Ironhead's The Game of Werewolf (XLIX)

-------------
    Svenska Varulv: Bybor (1), Rival Kultist (1), en siare. Vann som en bybo i Varulv XIII, en siare i Varulv XV

POTR Front-Runner Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Looks great.

It will be quite hard to add your own assets, like vehicles, besides the maps to game. But we will offer DLC for Cities in Motion to some extent.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great, thanks. I'm glad we will have a map editor. That was one of the main things missing from Traffic Giant. I still hope will will get additional vehicles and cities in the form of DLCs
    "The great masses of the people will more easily fall for a big lie, than for a small one." - Adolf Hitler
    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao Zedong
    "War is a continuation of politics by other means." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz
    "To secure peace is to prepare for war." - Vegetius
    "You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word." - Alphonso "Scarface" G. Capone
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin J. E. Rommel

HoI AnthologyCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

This game looks very interesting, will be cool to see the final product
    I eat meat in protest that the vegans eat the animals food!

Colombus didn't need to stop and ask for the way, so I don't need it either.

Awarded the title of "Honorary Finn" by Tuore.

Slightly offtopic but I did not know where to post else, I cannot access this DD from the main paradox page. It gives me an access denied. No problem opening this post on the cities in motion forum though.

Ontopic: Looking very nice cant wait till release!

Quote Originally Posted by Basvv85 View Post
    Slightly offtopic but I did not know where to post else, I cannot access this DD from the main paradox page. It gives me an access denied. No problem opening this post on the cities in motion forum though.
    Got the same issue as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast