+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does the game run SLOWER on a quad core than on a dual core?

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDiplomacyEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldLegioMajesty 2Rome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Does the game run SLOWER on a quad core than on a dual core?

Well, does it? I am in the market for a new computer( see thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...?507979-New-PC) and was considering what computer would be best for a clausewitz engine game like vicky. I have heard that, at least HOI3, ran slower on a quad core. Is this the same for vicky?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

If you set the application to run on a single core, rather than use all four, there is a significant difference. I run HOI3 and V2 on my quad core rig and it seems to do fine when I set it to run on a single core.
    Last edited by williamprowant; 21-11-2010 at 19:42.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Well, whether it would run slower would depend on how fast the individual cores of each processor is. The Clausewitz engine is AFAIK limited to using one core, meaning the remaining 3 cores would be left unused.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne

I've noticed a significant difference by prioritizing to only one core. Not trying to say your wrong Najs, just saying that I've noticed a difference with my rig.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by williamprowant View Post
    If you set the application to run on a single core, rather than use all four, there is no significant difference. I run HOI3 and V2 on my quad core rig and it seems to do fine when I set it to run on a single core.
    I've noticed a significant difference by prioritizing to only one core. Not trying to say your wrong Najs, just saying that I've noticed a difference with my rig.
    Contradicting yourself? :P
    Well, I am sure that the engine is limited to one CPU core, so prioritizing to one core should mean you order your computer to do what it's already doing. If it works out for you though, great.
    @EvilFishtank: I'd go with a quad, those are more future-proof and should run Paradox games better in the future when they switch engine.

I misspoke in the first post, i meant to say there is a significant difference.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Najs is right - the Victoria 2 game engine isn't multi-thread capable.

If you're buying this computer solely to run a Paradox game, going with the option that has the highest speed concentrated into a singular processor would be best at the moment.

200k clubDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

If you set the application to run on a single core, rather than use all four, there is a significant difference. I run HOI3 and V2 on my quad core rig and it seems to do fine when I set it to run on a single core.
    Tried this just now, can't see much difference. Any difference I am seeing could very well be perceptual.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfawkes5 View Post
    Najs is right - the Victoria 2 game engine isn't multi-thread capable.

If you're buying this computer solely to run a Paradox game, going with the option that has the highest speed concentrated into a singular processor would be best at the moment.
    @_@

Do they even sell single core processors any more?

As for "highest speed"- there's no easy way to measure that. Clock speed is an almost entirely irrelevant metric, and the relevent ability of different architectures is hard to quantify.
    Chief of the Harappa in Dawn of Man (on hold )

AARs
    Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken AAR (complete)

"To Agitius, thrice consul, the groans of the Britons... the barbarians drive us to the sea, the sea drives us to the barbarians; between these two means of death we are either killed or drowned."

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

How do you do that?
    "To think of these stars that you see overhead at night, these vast worlds which we can never reach. I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that. It makes me sad to see them so clear and yet so far." -- Cecil Rhodes

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    @_@

Do they even sell single core processors any more?

As for "highest speed"- there's no easy way to measure that. Clock speed is an almost entirely irrelevant metric, and the relevent ability of different architectures is hard to quantify.
    Yes they do, and they give measurements that should form at least guidelines even if they aren't specfic enough for your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Smith View Post
    How do you do that?
    Assuming it works the same as for Deus Ex, you should be able to go into Task manager -> Processes -> right click on V2.exe -> set affinity -> uncheck everything but one core.

This is for XP, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Palfouri View Post
    Dinosaur.

Yea thats how I do it is through the task manager. It usually works best to pick your highest core as well, so if you have a quad, then you'd want core 3 running the program.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Palfouri View Post
    Assuming it works the same as for Deus Ex, you should be able to go into Task manager -> Processes -> right click on V2.exe -> set affinity -> uncheck everything but one core.

Thanks!
    "To think of these stars that you see overhead at night, these vast worlds which we can never reach. I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that. It makes me sad to see them so clear and yet so far." -- Cecil Rhodes

Why on earth would it make a difference to run it on core 3 instead of core 1 or 2? I am very curious about this.
    TheGeneral and Czar of all Russias.

ICQ number : 306-496-377

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
    Why on earth would it make a difference to run it on core 3 instead of core 1 or 2? I am very curious about this.
    I am no expert, but perhaps overhead? All that data/memory needs to spread over cores.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

That is true and would explain why 4 cores are not 4x faster than a single one (althought they certainly should be faster).

But why would the core 3 by itself be faster than Core 0 or 1?

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
    That is true and would explain why 4 cores are not 4x faster than a single one (althought they certainly should be faster).

But why would the core 3 by itself be faster than Core 0 or 1?
    No idea, but knowing Microsoft, it's a fair guess they have hardcoded some of their OS stuff to the first cores.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

if you want a short answer it's yes and no. it depends. you have to keep in mind that one core from a single core cpu is faster that one core from a doual core cpu which is faster from one core from a quad core cpu. Also, keep in mind that L2 cache or L3 cache will be used by all cores. So, a 4 mb (for example) l2 cache can be used by 4 cores, 2 or 1 but in the end it depend on the application's access patterns.
    So if each core is about 3 GHz for both processors, does this mean that the quad core is twice as fast as the dual core processor? The answer is no! This is the main misconception that people have about multi-core processors. You don't multiply the speed of one core by the number of cores to get the "total" speed of a multi-core processor. The two processors in this example actually perform more or less at the same speed. less than 1% of software on the market can utilize multiple cores, which means that most of your programs (probably all of them) can only run in one at a time. This means that the speed of your programs are fully dependent on the speed of a single core. You might be thinking "well, what if I'm running multiple programs at the same time?" The reality is, most programs can perform a task faster than you can switch to another program. The most notable exception to this rule is video editing software, which usually does utilize all of your cores.

Realistically, you will not notice a difference in speed between a system with a dual core processor and a system with a quad core processor, unless you are running video editing programs.

So what does all of this mean? Don't waste your money on a quad system unless you create and edit videos professionally, or run specialty software that can utilize all of your cores.(not the case of victoria) You are much better off putting your money towards a dual processor or system with more GHz and a higher L2 cache.

What you are saying is of course correct.

But we were discussing as to why one of the 4 cores can potentially be faster than another one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast