• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great update, Slan! :D

I hope you're not counting on Benito to beat the French. More likely, the French will take Rome... but by then they will have pulled so many troops from Northern Europe that the Wehrmacht will have a cakewalk... ;)

since when does australia have colonies?????????????

Most likely Japan has invaded Guadalcanal. :) It's pointless but I've seen the AI do it quite a lot.

Well, my master plan can have two potential effects:
i) My Italian allies break through in Southern France and they make them surrender.
ii) The confused French remove practically all of their forces from our front to beat back the pasta-eaters and I can break through in the North.
Either way, I win. The important point (which I might have failed to stress out enough) is to hold on with that command until I close off the Suez so Italy can keep their armies in East Africa alive long enough at least. (Then again, they kept Ethiopia as a puppet, so they produce supplies locally there...)

you learn somethng new every day. never knew who owned Guadalcanal before the war.

Chapter XXXIV

In which the German advance in Europe slows down.

- And where are you going now?

- To Amsterdam, capital of the Kingdom of the Netherlands...

- But that city is not even taken yet...

- I know! - Hans was on the verge of mental collapse. - Why do they have to send me on the front all the time?!

- Don't be such a baby. You won't be sent to the front, only following it as closely as possible. - Wilhelm tried hard to sound conforting. - You couldn't help too much anyway... - But instead he was rather arrogant as usual. - Still, it can only be better than say, Istambul. Although that city is at least in the hands of our allies now...

eastern_turkey.png

Bulgaria took Istambul in early November. Turkish defenders were completely disorganized and scattered all over the country, showing virtually no resistance.

- Don't listen to him, honey, you are a very brave man! I know you won't get hurt! - Anna also tried to sound conforting but she sounded more worried than even Hans, if that's possible. - Just promise me that you will write often!

- Alright, alright! - Hans tried to gather all his courage. In all honesty, he did change during the last few months. He almost became a man. - I will write as much as I can, and I also promise that I will do everything within my abilities to come back unharmed.

- Of course you will! - Anna seemed reliefed. She turned to Wilhelm. - And what about you? Where are you going?

- My unit is holding the line near Hasselt, Belgium. The French have started massive redeployments behind their lines. I guess they are trying to face the bulk of our forces with the bulk of their forces.

- That does make sense, doesn't it?

- At a glance, yes, of course. Unless they overdo it, exposing their flank to our friends.

- On the Italian border?

- Precisely. Or even the Maginot Line. That fortress chain is fearsome indeed, but only if manned properly.

- And do you think that they will do that?

- I can't say for sure. What I do know is that the Allies still have enough forces on the Maginot to make a frontal assault there impossible or too costly at least, while our advance is nowhere near the planned schedule in the Low Countries either. And winter is already here.

- Now that you mention it... Anna, where is my overcoat?

- I'll get it for you, darling! - she left the room in a hurry.

- Thank you! She's such an angel, isn't she?

- Yes, she certainly is. Although I'm not entirely sure if your overcoat is in complete harmony with the army regulations regarding clothing on duty.

- Wait! You don't mean... You can't!

- Yes, I can, you can't. Well, not unless the circumstances become so dire that your superiors start wearing civilian garments as well.

- But! But...

- Here! - Anna returned with the overcoat. Hans recieved it from Frau Liebigstein as a wedding-presnet. It was form his late husband, a Colonel in the Austro-Hungarian Army in the Great War. He used it during the Italian Campaign. It was a very old coat, but still in pretty good condition.

- Come to think of it, that's not a civilian coat!

- No. But not a Werhmacht uniform either. Don't worry, you will probably have proper clothing issued to you soon enough anyway.

- You should take it with you, just in case. I don't want to have you catching some nasty disease while I can't look after you! Whatever would I do without you! - Anna caringly kissed Hans on the forehead.

- Alright, alright. If you have everything packed, we should move out. You don't want to miss the train, do you?

- No, of course not. - Hans turned to Anna and kissed her for the last time for the following few months. - I will miss you!

- Me too! Be careful, will you?

- I will, I promise.

- Farewell, Anna. Let's go.

*** *** *** *** ***​

- You know, I still don't understand why would they take Hans to the front.

- They did not send him to the front, Anna. He was just as close to the front, if not closer, during his stay in Leningrad, and he got back practically without a scratch. He even brought back a dog, for Christ's sake! - Martin didn't really like the dog too much, and the feeling was mutual.

- I know, but that was in Russia. Those are practically barbarians!

- It still took half a year to defeat them with your almighty über army.

- Alexandreina Kobori! What does that supposed to mean? Do you have a problem with the Werhmacht?

- No, not as such. But I had about enough of your lectures and praises and glorifying of these... Crusaders, as you call them.

- Admit it, Martin, Alexa has a point. You do have a tendency to overpraise the army. They surely have their strong points, like my Hans, but they can't be invincible.

- Blasphemy!

- Martin, calm down...

- How could I calm down when you are disrespecting the guardians of our freedom?!

- First, take a deep breath...

- Alexa, you are not helping.

- You know what? I don't care. - Martin was quite peeved. - You can't spoil my great mood whatever you do.

- Oh, and why is that?

- Well, if you really want to know, I have some great news I wanted to tell Anna, but now I changed my mind.

- What news?

- It's not really important. It only concerns the army. The one Alexa was insulting just now! The same one your husband serves in, I might add...

- Hey, that's not fair! I wasn't insulting...

- Martin, don't be childish! What news? Does it also concern Hans?

- Well, it might...

- Then tell me!

- No, you are not interested anyway. You and your little friend here! All your freedoms and luxuries are provided by the Wehrmacht that guards you while you sleep! They stand on the front and they do their job and they don't expect your thanks, but they deserve your respect!

- But I'm not even German...

- It doesn't matter, they guard your sleep as well, even though it is questionable if you are even worthy of it or not!

- Martin, could you get back to the part about my husband? Who is also your childhood friend, remember?

- Now you are interested, arn't you? If your lovely little husband is involved, then suddenly it becomes important! Let me tell you something! Everyone on the front is someone's husband, someone's son and quite a lot of them are also fathers!

- See? You are getting carried away again. Get back to the point already! What's up with Hans?

- But that is the point, don't you understand? Anyway, it was only three days, why are you so worried already?

- Martin!

- Alright, alright... I got word this morning that Amsterdam was taken. The Marine-Sturm Korps will no doubt be moved there pretty soon. That means Hans will have a decent bed and probably some warm food for the most part in the next few weeks at least. But if you can see the bigger picture, the more important thing is that with the air fields in Amsterdam, the Luftwaffe can start bombing London within the week!

- Well, that sure sounds good. - Said Alexa. Anna almost fell off her seat.

- What's wrong, Anna? That is good news... - Alexa went to the kitchen for a glass of water.

- Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry... - She was still a bit pale. - It's just... This thought just occured to me and it was very frightening... You said that the Luftwaffe can reach England from Amsterdam.

- Yes. It is a very important city and port strategically. A great victory.

- Yes, but it goes both ways. If the Lutwaffe can bomb London, then the Brits can bomb Amsterdam as well! And if it is important for us, then it is important for them, too! What if they try to take it back? What if my poor Hans and his unit get cut off?

- Oh, don't you worry, those are some very tough soldiers, they know what they are doing. Remember how many times the Allies tried to take Wilhelmshaven so far? They don't stand a chance!

*** *** *** *** ***​

November 25, 1940
Somewhere in Turkey

Spent over three weeks in Turkey. Huge improvement over Russia. Less mud, no mosquitoes, no fighting. No warm food or bed either. Redeployed to Central Turkey by train. Opportunity to get a shower was nice.

*** *** *** *** ***​

- Joachim! I'm so glad you could come! - Martin was sitting behind his desk in his office, slurping coffee. - I haven't seen you in ages!

- Tell me about it! It's the first time I could get away from the base ever since we rebased to Amsterdam two weeks ago.

- I've been in Amsterdam last week. Man, it's such a dump!

- Don't be unfair, it's ought to be that way after two weeks of constant bombing and heavy fighting. I visited the Netherlands on a business trip some years ago and it was pretty nice.

- Were the ladies nice, too? - Martin put down the coffee and started on his sandwich.

- As a matter of fact, yes. But I seriously can't believe how can you live on those things.

- What, women?

- No, the coffee and sandwiches!

- And you know what I can't believe? When do you have the time to cook anything decent? Oh, wait, you don't! You eat at the officer's mess hall! So stop lecturing me on what I should eat and what I shouldn't, alright?

- Good point. And how are you nowadays, anyway?

- Don't even ask. Things have been dreadfully slow lately, the front is getting bogged down. I need victories to write about! My boss is getting on my nerves! He seems to think that I am responsible for the advance slowing down!

- That is ridiculous!

- Of course it is, but what can I do? He is my boss, you know...

- No, I mean that thing about the advance slowing down. Take Turkey for example. Bulgarian forces are on the outskirts of Ankara.

- Do I look like I care about Turkey? I want real victories! Like ones that actually matter!

- Alright, then there are these two Spanish Battleships the Nordsee Flotte sunk today?

i_sank_your_battleship.png

After a series of engagements, the Nordsee Flotte managed to sink the ARE Espana and ARE Jaime I.

- Nah... Wait, what? I didn't know about that! When did that happen?

- Early this morning. I was just leaving the base when the radio call came in to the base. I thought you knew about all this stuff. Maybe I shouldn't have told you...

- Of course you should have! What, do you think I'm a spy or something?

- Well, you do tend to act somewhat strangely sometimes...

- Hahaha - Martin laughed out - You are funny! Seriously, I'm writing the newspaper! I tell people what's going on, that's what I do. If the Brits can read German, they can read our successes, too. Not that they don't know about them anyway! Still, I wouldn't call that spying... But back to the point. Two Spanish battlejunks won't save the day.

- Okay, then how about that British carrier that was engaged by the Luftwaffe last week?

british_cag_engaged.png

Six Carrier Air Groups engaged above the Mouth of the Thames. Despite the bad weathe the I. Fliegerkorps caused serious damage to the British aircraft.

- That was the aircraft of the carrier, not the carrier itself. Big difference. It's old news.

- And the Dutch submarine flotilla we sunk a week ago?

- Is Dutch. Enough said.

- Admiral Raeder also intercepted an invasion fleet from New Zealand just three days ago. That should count to something, they sunk all the transports, along with a French cruiser, the Foch!

french_transports_intercepted.png

A joint French-New Zealander fleet intercepted in the English Channel. All four transport flotillas were sunk along with the French cruiser Foch.

- That's almost something. Unfortunatelly all the New Zealander troops were put on shore in Brugge. And they can't even get back home now, so they will fight our troops. Not that impressive. Come to think of it, the only really interesting thing that happened during the last week was Japan finally securing Hong Kong, pushing the British out of China.

- Alright, so you think that the attack on the Low Countries will get nowhere.

- No, I didn't say that. The Wehrmacht has mopped up almost all resistance in the Netherlands and have already entered Belgium. It is getting somewhere, only takes its damn time to do so. This campaign started almost a month ago. If you can remember, we have already created multiple huge pockets in the Soviet Union in that time. Most of our earlier campaigns were long over in a month!

- You can't really compare those. The minor campaigns were hardly any challenge for a proper army and the Soviet Union was completely and utterly unprepared for our attack! In hindsight, it is hard to believe after the rising tension and buildup but they weren't even mobilized. It took several months to force them to surrender only because Russia is so huge!

- You know, you are right! I think it's time to change tactics here. If I can't work with our own major successes, I can still build up the image of the Allies. The bigger they are, the harder they fall! Time to make those democrats even more evil than the communists!

- I'm not sure that's really what I meant...

*** *** *** *** ***​

November 30, 1940
Erzurum, Turkey

I have a bit more time to write now. The war in Turkey is over. Seargent Martinovic says the government will flee to London now. Again, the men debate over where we are going now. Some say we will turn towards India, going through Persia. Others say we will go down through Syria, Iraq and to North Africa. Seargent Martinovic is still of the opinion that they should just shut up and follow orders. Well, if I'm good at anything, than it's following orders.

Seargent Martinovic is not too optimistic about the coming campaings. He said it doesn't really matter which way we go, there will be very little resistance, so the men will get lazy and weak. The men argued that there was little to no resistance so far. Seargent Martinovic said that was exactly his point.

The men also speculate that there will be even more poverty wherever we go so there won't be any warm food or bed for a long time still. Have to admit, it would be nice to have a full night's sleep for a change. Seargent Martinovic is right, we really are getting lazy and weak.

Either way, tomorrow we will get our new orders.

Index

Last edited:
allright! a new update! a great update in which nothing much really happened! euh...that didn't come out quite right :p

@misterbean: Too true, nothing much really happened. But there will be some serious drama very soon, promise ;)

@Lord Fearless: Well, the plan explained in the last Intermission still stands, I intend to get to the Suez, then call in Italy, then do whatever must be done. (I have a note with some plans lying around here somewhere...) As a reminder, I will have to finish off the Allies and get the USA into my faction before the Japanese attack them. Or else. For this, I will have to invade India as well as North Africa and the British Isles.

so how is the xperience fighting the French later than usual? a lot harder i take it?

To be brutally honest, no. In my vanilla experience (and also according to the forum), the French are always tougher than the Soviets. (Well, up to and including Semper Fi anyway.) The French are tougher than the Soviets were, but as Martin said, the advance did not stop, it is only much slower than usual.

you should see the US in 1943 in ICE... the only things I saw when invading were Shermans and binary mechs coupled with over 1800 MP. just to put things in perspective.

Nice to see that one's still alive!

The Western Allies seem to be quite a challenge!
I wish you luck for defeating them before the US are being dragged into te conflict.

@misterbean: I still have some time, let's hope I can avoid the US as an enemy! ;)

@HecNev: Yes, I'm still working on this and now that my exams are behind me and I'm almost finished with my Curriculum Vitae, I'll hopefully have more time to spend on writing.

It looks like there's still interest in this, at least according to the views. Then again, not that much have happened in this last Chapter, so it is understandable that there weren't too many responses :) I promise some more action in the next one!

yeah, well, my biggest mistake after getting the Soviets out of the way in early 1942 was to play turtle for 1.5 years. so, don't wait until 1944.

I tried that a couple of days ago (FtM coup US in 1938, influence till 1940, cheat because they wouldn't join even when the sign said they would :D) and found out...poof! game over.
I mean let's face it, unless you give them until 1963, the UK will never be able to get enough ground forces together to defeat the Wehrmacht. Luftwaffe vs. RAF? bwa, I'll give 'em that (hey, Germany's dictator liked UK, remember?). naval? royal navy vs IJN, USN, Regia Marina AND Kriegsmarine?
now that I've seen it, I'm nver going to try it again.

Chapter XXXV

In which a secret mission is carried out.

- Sir, we are getting close to the target.

- Thank you, Lieutenant. - The Captain stepped over to the observation periscope. - Let's take a look! - He pushed the periscope over the waterline. The weather was far from optimal, but then again, this also made them harder to spot.

- Can you see anything, Sir?

- Not much.

- The waves are pretty strong tonight, aren't they, Sir?

- Yes, they certainly are, but that's not what I meant, son. There's no destroyer patroling the harbour. Not even a single torpedo boat anywhere. Let's get a bit closer. Ahead, one third.

- Sir, yes, Sir!

The Type VIIA submarine started to slowly and carefully sneak forward.

- Anything on the sonar?

- No contact, Sir. It's very quite out there, except for the storm of course.

- Of course. - The Captain took another peek with the periscope. - I can even see the blasted guns and the barracks, but it looks deserted. We are going in. Ahead, full!

- Sir, yes, Sir!

german_transports.png

The German transport ships KMS Goya (top) and KMS Wilhelm Gustloff (bottom).

Salty water splashed into the face of Hans. He was standing on the deck of the Goya, staring into the night. The ship was launched in 1940, in Oslo, Norway, given to the Kriegsmarine as a gift later that year. She was sitting in port for most of the time during her service, but now Großadmiral Gustav Kieseritzky found a good use for her. Invasion.

Hans was gald to have left Amsterdam. The Allies launched a major bombing campaign in the occupied Netherlands for which the Luftwaffe responded in kind. It was not the safest place to be at the time.

rotterdam_blitz.png

The Allied bombing raid was easily fought back by the Luftwaffe and the response was devastating.

Still, this was no joyride either. For starters, he had no idea where they were headed of course. Joachim, who was also in the invasion fleet, looked like he knew more, but he said he didn't have permission to release any details. The whole day has gone by since they left Amsterdam in the morning, so the most obvious targets like Eastern England or Northern France are out of the question. "Where are we going?"

It was possible, even if not likely, that they were being redeployed to Asia. The journey would be long and perilous, but the Portugese still held many ports along the way to their once mighty colonial empire, so it seemed concievable. Unless the British or the French have the opportunity to intervene... Even with the five Aircraft Carriers (and even with their numerous victories in the past) it would be bold to challenge the Royal Navy so far from home!

Then again... Would it, really? Less than a month ago the Nordsee Flotte (that name is getting obsolete very fast, is it not?) engaged a sizeable fleet just off the coast of England, near Newcastle.

major_engagement.png

On the 3rd of December, in the early hours, the Nordsee Flotte ambushed a British fleet off the coast of England.

successful_engagement.png

The battle was far from decisive, but it was still a humiliating blow to the Royal Navy. Seven Destroyer Flotillas and a Transport Flotilla was sunk and several other ships were damaged.

The battle was an undisputed victory for Admiral Raeder. Over thirty Destroyers were sunk along with an entire flotilla of passenger ships. The Royal Navy still had the numbers and resources to put up with the losses, but that couldn't last forever!

On the other hand, would it really make sense? Would it be necessary? The last news he had from Asia was a week old but it reported about victories. China is supposedly free of British forces, Japanese forces converging on Indochina and Hanoi in Japanese hands again. They are not supposed to need any help...

Then there was this business in Eastern Europe and beyond. The Wehrmach was entering French Syria and Iraq two weeks ago, getting as far as taking Beirut just the other day. Supply lines were getting longer and longer, but still manageable. Then out of nowhere, somehow Greece found itself under attack by a joint task force of Germany, Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria. "That operation surely needs no more reinforcements, does it?" Not that it matters, really, since with the Brits firmly controlling the Suez and Gibraltar, noone is going in or out of the Mediterranean.

Hans returned to the cabin where he was placed. He will know where they are going when they get there.

*** *** *** *** ***​

It took less than he thought. They arrived in Lisbon an hour later but they were only in port for an hour at most and he couldn't even leave the ship.

*** *** *** *** ***​

- Hans! At last! - Joachim was running towards Hans, hanging on to the railing. - You know how hard it was to find you?

- Joachim! How did you get here?

- On the Graf Zeppelin of course! I came aboard the Goya when we stoped to refule in Lisbon. - He looked around. - It's a fine piece of maritime engineering I must say.

- If you say so... Look, can we talk?

- Of course! We are even doing it now!

- I mean talk! - Hans even winked in the hope that Joachim will get his meaning. - Come with me!

They left the deck and entered one of the restrooms. It was a pretty small room with barely enough space for one man to do what he must. Two men was already a pretty big crowd in there.

- What do you want with me? You are married for crying out loud!

- Don't pretend to be more stupid than you are! - Hans grabbed the collar of Joachim's coat. - Where are we going?

- What? I already told you I can't...

- Disclose this sort of information. Yes, I remember. But you do know where we are going.

- Yes...

- We are not going to Asia, are we?

- What, Asia? No! What would be the point of that... Look, it's not that far, alright?

- Not far you say... - Hans' grip was loosening. - I can't go to the front! I promised not to get hurt! I promised...

- Look, it's not as insane as it sounds! Well, if the intelligence is good, that is... They said there's practically noone there anyway! It should be a cakewalk!

- What intelligence? Tell me!

- But... Alright... We are going to invade the Rock.

the_rock.png

The fortification at Gibraltar, known as The Rock, with some of the old guns still in use at the time shown in the upper left corner.

*** *** *** *** ***​

Hans and Joachim were standing on the deck, watching the horizon. The night was calm. In normal circumstances that would make Hans happy. Now on the other hand this meant that the invasion won't be called off. They definitely will land on the Rock.

- You know, Joachim, that was the last thing that would have come to my mind. I was even considering the possibility that we might go to Brazil with them now also in the Pact, but this...

- They don't need our help. Not yet, at least. And to be honest, I very much doubt that either of the three colonies in Guayana could threaten them now with their very heartland to defend. They surely need to prioritize.

- But a man can still hope, can't he? I participated in a landing earlier, but that was... different. I mean those were trained marines! With all due respect, these are simple foot soldiers...

- Not that they will need any special training to simply get off the boats. I already told you, there are no defenders there!

- No, that has to be some elaborate scheme to make us feel secure! It is simply impossible that they would leave the door to the Mediterranean wide open!

- I guess doesn't really matter anymore so I think I can tell you. A submarine did some reconnaisence a week ago. They sufraced in the port, even put a squad of marines on shore. They bought a bunch of oranges then returned to the boat. You know, what I think? I think they don't even expect us to be able to get close enough to do anything. Their overconfidence is their weakness.

- Your faith in your friends is yours. We got this far, sure. But the Royal Navy can reinforce the port any minute! And the Spanish are also there! Let's assume we do land safely. Then what?

- Then you dig in and wait.

- Wait for what?

- For reinforcements. I don't think we brought enough forces to take the whole of Spain, nor can the Portugese provide enough. And what else could they want here anyway? Unless...

- Unless?

- Unless they want exactly what you said.

- What did I say? - Hans was confused.

- The door to the Mediterranean. They want it closed! Think about it! There are enough guns on the Rock to turn back an entire fleet, especially with the Nordsee Flotte to assist! Closing the Mediterranean means much longer routes to India. And it also means that the British forces in North Africa and the Middle East will be cut from supplies!

Their conversation was interrupted by the alarms. The fleet was under attack.

coast_of_porto.png

A Dutch fleet attempted to halt the invasion forces but they were unsuccessful. The HrMs Java and the HrMs De Ruyter light cruiesers were sunk along with three transport flotillas and a submarine flotilla. British reinforcements arriving late in the battle lost the heavy cruiser HMS Suffolk and two transport flotillas.

*** *** *** *** ***​

- That was... anticlimactic. There really was noone here... - Hans was standing in the office of the former harbour master of Gibraltar. His desk was still full of maps showing mine fields, convoy and patrol routes, even some outdated encryption code tables. - What happened here?

- I have no idea, but they must have left in a hurry to leave all this stuff here.

The desk was shred to pieces as the bomb attached to it exploded. The massive chair next to it knocked Hans off his feet as the building collapsed.

Index

Last edited:
"your overconfidence is your weakness"
"your faith in your friends is yours."
Nice to know someone knows the classics. ;)