• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This has been very entertaining to read so far. :)

I'm glad the Manx didn't go down without a fight. (or two, or three or a few hundred. Lol)

My ancestors would approve. :D

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Lurg roayrt hig contraie.

"After spring tide will come neap"--i.e., Don't be elevated by present good fortune, a reverse may come.

03.08 Hebrides March

03304-AnothervictoryinStrathclyde.jpg
Trian arrived in Strathclyde without trouble as Duke Gillbrigte of Argyll quickly quit the field after a staged skirmish.

03306-VictoryatStrathclyde3.jpg
Meanwhile, laboring on the knowledge that France had also gathered a massive army against her, Robert put off his rematch with Trian and rushed back to support the French front in Fife.

03307-Strathclydeliberated-1.jpg
With its defenders fled, Strathclyde fell quickly to siege. Even as the bannermen led the final assault to overwhelm the fort, news reached the command tent that the French army had landed in Lothian.

03308-TrianheadsforArgyllDStrathclyde.jpg
While the French committed to the war and kept Robert’s forces tied at Fife, Trian proceeded towards Argyll.

The High King’s mind was ever on the French. Would France, who seemed for so long to be interested only in re-uniting the French counties and expand their outremer possessions, an agenda in the British isles as well?

03309-Teutonicsformed.jpg
Elsewhere, news came that the Teutonic order was formed with the blessings of the King of Sweden.

03312-TermsStrathclyde.jpg
By February, Strathclyde bowed to Eire. The King of Scots now stands truly alone. A separate peace was brokered between the Duke of Strathclyde and the King of France.

03313-TrianmarchesforAtholl.jpg
With the aims of the war completed, Trian moved to force Robert onto negotiations to conclude the campaign. Uncomfortable with another rushed peace, the High King however realized that he must leave Scotland as strong as possible to withstand the French invasion. The last thing Trian needed was expanded French presence in the isles beyond their outpost in Lothian…

03316-Accepted.jpg
The French invasion was also in the King of Scots’ mind, and he hastily agreed to peace with Eire so that he can concentrate his efforts on survival. Under the agreement Scotland will drop remaining claims to Eire’s homelands, and ceded Strathclyde to Trian.

Eire now has formal dominion over the Lowlands and the Hebrides. (Huzzah!)

03317-AengusawardedCCumberland.jpg
Trian’s first move after the war was to grant Cumberland to his nephew Aengus, who had recently come of age. While the High King’s promise was to give Aengus lordship over Galloway, the High King saw it better to keep his enclaves of Carrick and Galloway joined, for now.

03318-DevonlosesThieves.jpg
In Summer, alarming news from Devon – infidels under Emir of Sevilla had managed to establish themselves in Cornwall!

03320-MeurigJoust.jpg
The constant wars with Scotland had started a tradition of games in Eire. In one such event, Meurig, an offspring of Murchaid’s younger son, asked for permission to joust… to disastrous consequences…

03324-Strathclydeisrich.jpg
While the royal coffers once again languish in debt, parts of the kingdom benefitted from the erstwhile peace.

03325-FranceWhitepeaceScotland.jpg
By November, Trian breathed a sigh of relief as the King of France let off the Scots with a white peace.

(OOC: Not in the screenshots, but France pretty much steamrollered over the Scots)

03327-EstatesGeneral.jpg
Despite the significant debts, Trian refused to call for an Estates General… There would be multiple calls by the nobility to do so, all to be rejected as Trian favoured royal prestige over income.

03328-FranceDoWSaintonge.jpg
In the depths of winter, France declared to annex independent Saintonge, and Trian supported. Once again, the French would conquer the county long before any Irish force reach coasts of the Bay of Biscay.

03330-CarrickcompletesSmallCastle.jpg
The small castle in Carrick was completed, solidifying Irish presence in Scotland.

03332-Midebreaksfree-Non.jpg
On the emerald isle, the Count of Mide, weary that his house was passed over for Duchy (of Meath, a title that had been held by the Kings of Eire since Murchaid’s reign on account of the royal holding of the County of Dublin), rebelled against Trian.

03338-TermstoMide.jpg
In two months, the Count was made to retake his vows. Being the victor of that war, Trian nonetheless agreed to look into the Count’s grievances.

-​

Here's the map for the ending stages of the War
GaelicWar3-2small.png

-​

As always, the corridors leading to the High King’s Court is empty at this time of the morning. Or so Lugaid thought. As his steady gait clipped across the hard stone floor, a more hurried shuffle of slippered feet kept pace.

“So you’re going ahead with this?”

“The moors have gone too far this time. They will not spread their heresy here in the isles! We have a Christian duty to protect our brethren from the devil’s work.”

“And if father disagrees?”

“He wouldn’t.”

“And if he does?”

“He wouldn’t.”

Men. Sometimes a brick wall seemed almost attentive. “You know, the Merribeth is so round I'm surprised one calls it a ship. How many years do you think it’ll take you reach Devon?”

That Lugaid stopped in his tracks was enough of a giveaway.

“How-"

“Truthfully, I do not keep spies on you, brother,” Siobhan breathed. “But this little titbit comes straight from our good Marshal.”

If Lugaid was surprised, he gave no hint of it this time. “A man has no privacy these days.”

“You are a Prince, brother, you have privacy lesser than most. Still, one wonders how Seisyll finds out. I do have him under watch, yet he still surprises me.” The Marshal is a puzzle for Siobhan- he seemed to know more than he let on, and often the spymistress envied how he managed to do so without apparently exposing his sources. The man's mysterious agenda is of greater concern, however...

“Much good spying on him has done, then," Lugaid seemed to reflect her thoughts, "Uncle Feradach didn’t do any better did he? Poor man’s been so quiet lately after that tragic incident with Aunt Adele-”

Don’t change the subject!” Siobhan snapped, “So, do you really plan to go along with your fool of a plan? Carry off with a company of loyal armsmen, offer your sword and men to the King of England, just so to fight these Muslims?"

Lugaid winced. There really isn't much to say, now that the cat's out of the proverbial bag.

Siobhan's own... discrete enquiries about her brother's plans had been more than fruitful. That she knew him enough to know that all that is planned is not for show, and that he must have intended to follow through with it if he could not convince father to declare war with the moors - is troubling enough. "What of the promise we made to protect the kingdom? Have you forgotten it?”

A promise made when they were still children. But Lugaid knows that doesn’t matter, not really. He was sincere in its making and had intended to keep to it all these years… defend the land and protect the kingdom. It certainly never promised fighting heathens under a different banner.

Fate is a curious thing. The room where they had paused in, fittingly enough, featured a tapestry illustrating Grandfather Donnchad, guarding the realm against Scots, Rebels, and Heretics alike. Strange that even in childhood the memories of those days aren't as glorious as what the weavers envisioned it to be.

“I’m still keeping to that promise, Siobhan. These moors know no satisfaction. They won’t stop in an Chorn. Their religion compels them to spread, and they will do it by missionaries and arms. If we don’t fight them now when they’re engaged with the Normans, we must fight them later in their greater strength.” If the Iberian experience were any lesson, it was that the moors will overrun where they cannot be stemmed. “I would rather regret now than later. Eire is at risk as long as they're on the isles... Sometimes the sword is the better shield.”

“And sometimes, a sword is just a sword. Do you think yourself invincible? One brave charge in Carrick does not make it so.” She delivered it as gently as she could, not knowing his reaction, “The Lord can lose another soldier of God, brother, but Eire cannot be without an heir.”

“Then help me, Siobhan! Help me convince father to muster. When the Prince of Eire marches, let it be with the force of the kingdom behind him!” She’d seen that glint in his eyes before – hope mixed with a hint of desperation, rimmed with a dash of self-belief.

Perhaps that was what pushed her to a decision - the moment faded like a dream upon waking, and recalling it never felt the same. But what is done is done; in her heart Siobhan could only reserved a small place in her heart for despair, and pondered what Seisyll Cynfyn plans for the world.

Last edited:
(I would like to note that my comments on the Muslims is purely roleplaying; and does not bear relation to my on views on religion.)

gabor – we’ve definitely chipped Scotland down a notch in the past 2 wars. For the witchcraft event, I think I chose according to what Trian would be inclined to do – being forgiving, he still had a clergy background but not fanatical. :p if Queen Jana dies it just means we’ll have to marry someone to replace her… and that’s actually a financial opportunity to collect some marriage duties.

Zzzzz… - I know! :D

Magmaniac – Thanks! I aim to please… I would love to do something like what thrashing mad does with his White Eagle maps… but I just don’t have the 3D graphics chops.

Kuld von Reyn – Welcome! I think reading other AARs helped rub some of that skill on me :) Being a demanding critic of oneself also helps. Regarding how far ahead I am – it depends. Usually I keep myself one generation in front of what’s posted here, that’s why you get the premonition feeling… (it’s intentional). And wow, nice music choice! I found some lyrics that go with the music and this AAR fits, I think… I’m going to suggest this piece on the OP!

Thormodr – Urgh. Those revolts really skip up the war efforts against Scotland last time. But luckily we survived so all’s well I guess… a united Celtia is within our grasp! BTW - Welcome!

Last edited:
The Moorish conquest of Cornwall is quite alarming indeed. I'm currently playing Cornwall myself*, and luckily I only have to put up with the Welsh-Berber house of Mathrafal freeloading at my court. Also, your slow and steady conquest of Scotland feels like a mirror image of the political situation in my own game a few decades back. Looks like you're well on your way to creating a Celtic Empire, in any case.

Oh, and great character writing, as always. I wish there were fewer courtiers...You know there's something wrong when you let courtiers die whenever you can because the court is too full and rife with disease.

*Anything greater than a one province county turned out to be too easy. XD

03.09 Cornish Crusade

03347DoWEmirateofSevilla.jpg
Persuaded by his son and daughter, Trian declared war against the Moors in Cornwall. Led by Crown Prince Lugaid, the aim of the campaign was to drive out the infidels from Britain, and to capture Exeter. The coastal province would allow Eire direct access to the rich Channel trade.

Eire’s righteous endeavor was supported by France, who also declared against the moors.

03348Movements.jpg
A small force of about 1,600 Devonians was marched to Exeter, now controlled by a Moorish sheik. With their armies engaged in battle against the English far from home, the Sheik of Exeter was unable to mount a capable defense of his lands. The fort was quickly surrounded and siegeworks began in earnest.

03351-MunsterRebels.jpg
On Ireland, the old Duke of Munster, addled by delusions of past glories, chose the moment to rebel. It was a poor choice – troops readied for the defense of the island against any retaliatory landing by Sevilla were redeployed to bring Munster back in line.

03354-ExeterLiberated.jpg
By September, Exeter fell to the Devonians. The false Moorish lord was stripped of his titles in absentia and Exeter was recovered for Christiandom. With much Cornwall now under Irish control, rumours began about the refounding of the ancient Breton kingdom of an Chorn (Cornwall). Trian would not give credence to these rumours, but proclaimed that the land would be part of the royal enclaves.

03355-FranceDoWAsturias-wejoin.jpg
Bolstered by Irish successes, France opened another front by declaring their intentions on the sheiks of Asturias, a vassal to the Emir of Sevilla at the northwestern corner of Iberia. Eire declared for her ally, but with Munster still in rebellion and the situation in Scotland unsettled, it was the prudent decision of the High King not to send his troops further afield.

03356-GroupDublinwinsinOsraige.jpg
In October, the loyalist forces in Osraige met and prevailed against the rebels from Desmumu. The way is now open to invade the rebel base in Desmumu.

03357-DefeatatUrmumu.jpg
The rebels were more prepared than ever before, however, and to the shame of the High King, the rebels scored a major victory in Desmumu. The loyalists were forced to retreat. An attempt to retake Desmumu was to be mounted again, but the protracted rebellion forced Trian to concentrate in keeping peace at home instead of fighting the Moors.

03360-FranceDoWGaliciaetal-wetoo.jpg
Meanwhile, France continued to pick targets; Trian honoured his alliance but could do little, especially with rebellion brewing at home.

03362-Whitepeace.jpg
Matters would find their own recourse however, as some of those sheiks offered white peace to the High King. The persistent rebellion in Munster had become a problem that the High King felt he should focus on, and reluctantly agreed to the entreaties, preferring to delay opportunistic conquests for the future.

03364-DefeatatOsraige-TrianretreatstoTuadmumu.jpg
Munster proved more trouble than the High King anticipated, as the loyalists were once again defeated.

03366-Gwyneddactivated.jpg
Faced with losses on the battlefield, Trian decided to bring in reinforcements from Gwynedd to help with the situation.

03375-TermsMunster.jpg
After several attempts and multiple failures, Munster was finally humbled at the end of spring. Yet the irony was that it was actually the High King who was humbled, having underrated the rebels.

03376-Taxes.jpg
The expected extension of the rebellion in Munster also affected the royal coffers, and Trian decided to increase taxes to recover it, much to the consternation of many.

03377-Gwyneddstartssmallcastle.jpg
Thus enriched, he started yet another castle. This time in Gwynedd, ever a keystone in Eire’s manpower base.

03379-DevonstartsExtRoads.jpg
The enclave at Devon also received investment to extend existing road systems to reflect growing wealth and importance of the county in the High King’s plans.

03380-SupportingFergusasPope.jpg
The High King’s newfound wealth also attracted proposal by a friend to support his bid to be pope. Trian was unenthusiastic, as he felt that Fergus was too workshy and lusty to make a good pope. Nonetheless appearances must be kept, and a modest donation was made from the royal treasury. Little came of it.

03384-ExetercompletesExtRoads-Splintered.jpg
Almost a year after initial declaration, the war with the moors was ended unceremoniously when white peace was offered with Sevilla. Much to the chagrin of Prince Lugaid, yet true to Trian’s hopes, the Emir was too busy fighting the English (and the French) to reprimand Eire for annexing Exeter.

In the British Isles, the moors still hold Somerset, but with the county under the control of the Emir himself, and there was no way to conquer it swiftly. Trian counseled his son, and bided for a better opportunity to expand the borders of Eire.

03386-EmiratesofSevillasarmy.jpg
The peace treaty came not a moment too soon, as Trian pointed out to his overzealous son of a large fleet of moors spotted sailing to fight the English. Had the force landed in Eire, the High King would be hard pressed to deny them.

03389-AwardedDMeath.jpg
Also mindful of recent rebellions, the High King appointed the new Duke of Meath as a show of goodwill to the lords of the land.

03391-ExtraTithes.jpg
Trian also continue to favour church demands.

Feedback

Kuld von Reyn - Yes, some ways to manage your court size would really be helpful. I mainly control marriages within the family just to do this. Not the best solution...

Zzzzz… - The moors will feature quite a bit in the isles yet... ;)

It would be kind of awkward if, in a game titled "Crusader Kings", the Moors ended up steamrolling over the Christian world. :D

On the bright side, at least it's the Moors and not the Seljuk Turks. That would have gone from ASB to just flat out insane.

03.10 Kingdom of the Celts

03394-NewKingofScots.jpg
Trian’s decision for a quick end to hostilities with the moors proved to be a perceptive one. In the spring, fateful tidings came to the court in Dublin - King Robert of the Scots did not survive the winter, and would be succeeded by his 10-year-old son, Malcolm.

03397-Claims.jpg
The entire court in Dublin recognized that this was the best chance to settle the bad blood between Eire and Albain once and for all. That the High King will prevail is a given; far less certain was the fate of Malcolm…

The child king had inherited so many titles from his father that annexing the entire royal demesne would prove impossible. It would be even more unwise to leave Malcolm’s territories intact - should Trian become the new king of Scots, the prospect of Malcolm rebelling in the future would be a problem.

After much deliberation with attending nobles, the High King agreed to leave the Duchy of Albany with Malcolm, and instead seize ownership of Moray – the Dunkelds having several marriage connections to the defunct House of Angus, while Clan Ui Mordha having historical claims in the Western Isles region.

03398-FranceDoWYperen.jpg
France declared war on independent Yperen. Trian honoured the alliance, but the High King’s heart is not in it as preparations began for the invasion of Scotland.

03401-GroupDublinsailsforStrathclyde.jpg
As part of those plans, the muster of Ireland cast off for Scotland. Trian’s Scottish levies were also mustered at under the Duke of Strathclyde and massed at the Highlander borders.

03402-PeacewithYperen.jpg
The movement of men had caught the eye of the Count of Yperen, who feared that the High King has mobilised against him, and was scared into buying peace. Being burdened by the cost of the oncoming war with Scotland, Trian happily agreed to the peace proposal and added the gold to the war chest.

03403-DeclarationofWar.jpg
With all preparations completed, a formal declaration of war was made. The proclamations were clear to all – Messengers were sent to foreign courts to declare that Malcolm as unfit to rule; it was time to settle the differences between two Gaelic kingdoms, once and for all, and unite the Gaels under one High King.

The news was met in foreign courts with scandal, but nobody liked King Robert enough to defend his legacy.

03406-GroupGallowayentersFife.jpg
The first engagement of the war for Scotland began as Duke Gillbrigte of Argyll’s forces marched to engage the enemy in Fife.

03407-VictoryinFife.jpg
With a force outnumbering the enemy three to one, the Duke successfully scared the defenders away without battle, and siege began unmolested.

03408-FifeLiberated.jpg
Keeping the momentum, Fife was captured and the Duke ordered the army to march for the Scot capitol in Atholl.

03411-GroupDublinlandsinStrathclyde.jpg
While Gillbrigte faced the Scottish main force in battle for the capitol, Trian landed to lift the Scottish siege at Strathclyde.

03412-VictoryinStrathclyde-TrianmovestoAtholl.jpg
The Scots made a valiant defense of their capitol but were eventually beaten. Malcolm and the Scottish court fled deeper into the highlands.

03413-ClaimKingofScots.jpg
Seeing that the war was going very well, Trian formally declared his intentions for the throne, though none suspected the High King would do otherwise…

03414-VictoryinAtholl-underattackagain.jpg
Gillbrigte’s siege of Atholl would not proceed without disruption, as the Scots mounted counterattack after counterattack in an attempt to free their capitol.

03417-VictoryatAtholl.jpg
The control of Atholl would finally be decided with the arrival of Trian’s men.

03419-AthollLiberated-GroupGheadsforMoray.jpg
With the combined force of both armies at the walls, the Scot capitol fell quickly. Trian sent Gillbrigte northwards to Moray, while he continued further into Albany by way of Angus.

03421-Angusliberated.jpg
The Scots fled at the news of the oncoming Irish and Angus was captured.

03422-BattleforMoray.jpg
In Moray, Gillbrigte arrived to beat off token defenses there.

03423-VictoryatMoray.jpg
The siege of Moray went quickly; the victorious Duke wasted no time to march for Sutherland.

03425-GroupDreachesMar.jpg
As the siege began in Mar and the war well in Eire’s favor, the High King’s claims on the throne of Scotland gained some credence amongst the Christian lords.

03426-MarLiberated-GroupDheadsforBuchan.jpg
Mar fell swiftly and Trian headed for Buchan.

03.10 Kingdom of the Celts (part 2)

03431-Sutherlandliberated-GroupGheadsforRoss.jpg
Sutherland was captured and Gillbeigte circled back to Ross. In Buchan, Trian defeated the defenders and the province was put laid under siege.

03432-Crusadesended-SwedencapturesBurgos.jpg
Christain fortunes in Iberia seem to parallel the Irish form in Scotland – the Crusades were declared a success and the Swedes successfully defended their ownership of Burgos.

03433-Buchanliberated-GroupDheadstoAtholl.jpg
With Buchan conquered the war is a forgone conclusion…

03435-LastgraspforRoss.jpg
The last attempt to save the kingdom…

03442-Terms1.jpg
And finally Scotland is no more…

03445-Scotlandisnomore.jpg
Malcolm was forced to cede all possessions beyond the Duchy of Albany to the High King, as well as the title King of Scotland. Instead Malcolm would take the lesser title of Duke of Albany. Malcolm would also relinquish the title as Duke of Galloway.

With a third crown upon him and unity of the Gaels with territories in Mann, Wales, and recently-liberated Cornwall, a new title was made of Eire’s High King, marking a new era for his Kingdom.

All Hail Trian, by the Grace of God, The Builder, High King of the Celts!

Here's the map for the war...
GaelicWar4-1small.png

-​

03446-GrantCMoray.jpg
Having no need for so many lands, nor having the desire to manage them, Trian decreed for the distribution of titles. Lacking Scottish courtiers, the province of Moray was awarded to an Irish follower. Inclusion of more Irish peers would hopefully enhance Dublin’s influence over Albain.

03447-GrantBSutherland.jpg
Sutherland was instituted as a bishophric and given to Rhodri.

03448-StateofNScotland.jpg
The final disposition of Scotland.

Feedback

Yeah. High King of The Celts, baby. Eire, Cymru, Alba, Mannin, and Kernow. Only missing Breizh (Brittany) now :p

Zzzzz... - Don't worry, the Emir will get his due yet :)

Kuld von Reyn - Agreed. Turks in England would be just insane. Actually a previous game I played, as Ireland, I conquered most of Iberia before Scotland and England, so the reverse isn't exactly insane :D

Last edited:
Aw man, here you're already at three crowns, while I have just recently managed to progress beyond count. :p

Only Breizh left indeed; I'm assuming it's about the same size as always? (It conquered Egypt and Hammadid in my game, hehe.)

Also, since Breizh is your next target, here's some music from Breizh.

Now it's time to deal with the Emir and spread Irish culure into Gallaecia.

The primary objective when invading Galicia shouldn't be to spread Irish/Celtic culture to a place where there hasn't been any for countless centuries, it should be about liberating Santiago de Compostela, once the third most important pilgrimage site in Christianity, from the Moors. :3

Just caught up. Congratulation on becoming High King of Celts! As much as I understand the thirst for more conquest other posters express, I do fear managing thus enlarged possessions might give Trian a headache. Imagine a handful of rebellious retainers and the realm duress trait and everything may break apart. Especially if England interferes.

Awesome AAR, just got Crusader Kings from a friend and I plan to at least try Ireland now because of you

Feedback

Apologies for the enforced hiatus. Kind of overwhelmed with work... and then I got a small block... next update due this weekend, nonetheless.

Zzzzz... - Things went smoother than I thought. And happily the French didn't interfere this time.

Magmaniac - England, or the Moors. Trian's key interest at this time is to find a connect to Brittany. This requires at least some English-owned territories. He'll have to carve a path through the moors if they get in the way (England and Sevilla are still at war)

Kuld von Reyn - I'm in the office now so I'll check out the music when I get back :) Brittany's about the same size but it's part of almighty France, who happens to be a second-generation ally on top of everything else.

hoi2geek - It's as Kuld says. To spread culture we need to start at Cornwall region first, then spread towards Hampshire, jump to France, and then from there to Iberia. 'Tis a long, long road. Holding those territories now when the connecting territories aren't even Irish yet will add to my demesne limit without even the opportunity to spread them yet. Frankly I'm in a bit of a bind now cos Trian's successors don't always have a high Intrigue (needed for fast culture spread, iirc)

gabor - I'm always mindful of this, true. For Scotland, I felt that Trian didn't have a choice... the kingdom's imploding and it's either he grabbed the territory or we'll see the English or the Swedes in the Highlands. I felt that these were valid geopolitical reasons for Trian to make his move...

Aliasing - :D glad to see someone being inspired to try Eire. I was actually hovering between creating a united Celtic kingdom, or revive the Merovingian bloodline. Sadly none of the Merovingian inheritors seem to have survived this far into history...?