• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So you weathered the storm?
I asked about vassals because, honestly, had I been any Irish duke, I'd definitely have used the opportunity this war gave to break free, or even - oh effrontery! - contest the title of the High King!. Donnchad would simply have no recources to stop me. I'd say it's not only England that is too quiet; it's too quiet at home too...

Gabor - Well I do have an explanation, or rather, a set of explanations:
- Ulster is Friendly, thanks to hunting events.
- Mide has too few troops to be a problem. They're also friendly.
- Connancht is grateful for being awarded the duchy only recently.
- Munster is under a new lord after the previous rebellion. The new duke is quite loyal (and probably wrestling with his father/brother for their counties... this is one of the reasons I sieze a duke's titles to give to his son... it keeps the new duke busy and me free of worries for a few years)
- Deheubarth-Dyfed has been loyal to the crown since conquest. Maybe the duke's stats match with Donnchad's, I didn't check.
- Gwynedd has too few troops to be a problem. (My Perfeddwlad regiment's at home just in case, iirc)
- Glamorgan-Gwent also has too few troops to be a problem, especially with Deheubarth being loyal and all.
So I guess there are some plausible reasons for the apparently peace in the realm.

:eek: and I guess Donnchad should be grateful you're not an Irish Duke...

/shrug

Besides any rebel who wants to "win" will have to sail to Devon, Wales, Mann and Scotland to capture all the demesne... it's really quite daunting.

The war's pretty much over but Donnchad doesn't have the prestige nor the manpower to challenge Scotland for anything beyond Galloway's control. All in all I'm just happy we survived. And of course calling it the "first" Gaelic War just means there's at least a "second" one ;) ... rematch! heh.

Zzzzz... - Thank You! I hate that event as well. It doesn't feel like it's properly implemented too. According to Wiki, lords of the time have been known to ignore the proclaimation with little rebuke. In CK1 you're forced to lose regiments...

Last edited:
02.07 Eire Victorious

The beach is calm and balmy, and the summer sun cast the wet sand in a golden hue. On his feet, the granules clung to his toes.

He loves sandcastles. The one in front of him was almost done – it had a large mound that looked just like the hill fort at home. The little pebbles he found further up the shoreline would be the little houses around the base of the hill. He might need sticks for the other walls-

A shadow covered him and his fort, dispelling the sun and breaking his thought. He looked up to see a silhouette of a larger boy behind him. The sun was to the boy’s back, so all he could really make out was a grin. Mischievous. Malevolent.

There was something familiar about the figure. He felt like a brother, but that didn’t feel right either; he tried talking to the boy, but he didn’t seem to hear him.

Instead, the older boy stepped forward, knocking him aside as he stepped straight into the sandcastle. Stomping, crushing. Grinning.

He stared at the destruction as the older boy went about his task; and when only a crater of sand was left, the boy tapped his feet to knock the sand off - first right, then left – and walked away.

-

02322-Cumberlandcaptured.jpg
Within a month from his arrival, Donnchad captured the undefended fort in Cumberland. The lowlands are effectively secured – Carrick, Galloway, and Cumberland are now controlled by Eire. Berwick had seemingly quitted the war, and Lothian in the hands of the French. The only direction Donnchad needed to worry about now is north towards the Scottish Highlands.

02324-Carricklostagain.jpg

As Donnchad marched north back to Carrick, news came to the High King that the province was lost to the Scots again.

02328-CarrickLiberated3.jpg
The High King’s will could not be denied. Donnchad arrived to defeat the Scots occupying the province and liberated the fort for the 3rd and last time in the war.

02329-OnwardstoStrathclyde.jpg
With all of the lowlands pacified, Donnchad took the offensive towards Strathclyde.

02330-Mannrevolts.jpg

02333-Dublinrevolt.jpg
Regardless of his victories abroad, Donnchad continue to face internal revolts.

02334-DonnchadreachesStrathclyde.jpg
In September, Donnchad reached Strathclyde and siege began to wrest control of the Hebrides from the Scots.

02335-FintansbackupfromTuadmumuarrivesatUlaid-headsforCarrick.jpg
The Scots may be beaten but they still have more men fielded than the Irish, and are regrouping to retake Carrick. With Donnchad on the offensive, another Irish regiment (from Tuadmumu this time) reached Ulaid and prepared to sail for Carrick.

02337-Peacefinally.jpg
By October the King Robert of the Scots realized that the war was lost, and the child king agreed to cede Galloway to Donnchad in return for peace. There was no joy in the peace, however, for many lives were lost, and Eire’s economy was ruined. It was a necessary peace that resolved nothing between the two Gaelic kingdoms.

02341-IngeborgofNarke.jpg
The end of war meant that Donnchad could refocus at home. A wife needed to be found for his third son Mathgamain, and a suitable wife was found amongst the Swedes. The High King thought to revive good relations with the Northmen.

02344-Glamorganrevoltspt2.jpg
Peace would not sit long with Eire however, and Glamorgan-Gwent revolted. The Norwegian Count had taken offense to the High King picking the Swedes instead of the Norwegians to seek good relations with. Disgusted, he had attempted to leave the High King peacefully, but Donnchad would have none of that... The enclaves at Gwynedd and Perf were mobilised to retake Glamorgan.

02346-IngeborgSilverTongue-becomesCH.jpg
At home, Donnchad's newest daughter-in-law proved to be a silver-tongued courtier suited to become the new Chancellor of the realm.

02347-Laiginsinks.jpg
Meanwhile revolts burned in Eire. Laigin was in revolt again, and this time, another rebel rouser inflamed the masses against the High King. The king's insistence that the dissident be captured and decapitated only served to spread the revolt, not smother it.

02349-CarricklosesCourt.jpg
In the revolt, the rioting masses destroyed the symbol of the king's justice in Carrick.

02350-Dublinsellsmine.jpg
Meanwhile the kingdom continued to sell assets in a bid to rescue itself from debt.

02353-PerfgainsThieves.jpg
In those times of chaos, unscrupulous characters take advantage to prey on the lawful...

02355-Laiginrevolts.jpg
And in Laigin, the people were revolting again…

02356-TermsGlamorgan.jpg
Glamorgan-Gwent finally fell as the High King conquered the region in the beginning of November. The Norwegians were kicked out of the land and the High King’s men made it back home in time for Samhain.

02357-GrantingofGlamorganandGwent.jpg
The recently annexed region of Glamorgan-Gwent was awarded to the Duke Gruffydd of Deheaubarth on account of his loyalty to the High King throughout the troubles.

02362-Laiginrevolts.jpg
At home, the Ui Mordha homeland was plagued by revolt again.

02364-HonoringtheAlliancewithFrance.jpg
By the end of the year, France called upon her ally in a war against the Archduke of Canterbury. The Archduke had separated from England but recently, and the French seemed to have developed an interest in expanding into the isle of Britain. Eire would answer the call, but the High King's heart was uneased by France’s new direction.

02365-DOnnchadissick-Laiginrevoltsagain.jpg
The winter also saw Donnchad taking sick.

02368-Mannrevolts.jpg
1113 brought more of the same as Mann revolted.

02369-Donnchadrecovers.jpg
Although Donnchad would count himself lucky to recover from his illness quickly at his age.

02371-NewCGalloway.jpg
In recognition of Marshal Loigsech's contributions to the war with Scotland, Donnchad awarded his son - Ronan - with the title of Count of Galloway. It seemed fitting to the High King that his royal house should have a junior branch.

02372-OsraigelosesThieves.jpg
Meanwhile efforts in Osraige to uproot the thieves there came back with fruitful results.

02376-HonoringAlliancewithFrance-FranceattacksAuxerre.jpg
The alliance in France came calling again as France attempted to retake its errant provinces. This time the King of France sought to annex Auxerre. Eire would honour the alliance again, though Donnchad decided not to send any men to the mainland…

02377-Auxerrehasnochance.jpg
... not that the King of France needed any help from Eire’s meager troops.

02378-FrancecrusadeonMajorca.jpg
The King of France’s belligerence knew no bounds as he declared war against the Emir of Mallorca. Once again, Donnchad honoured the alliance, but Eire was truly too poor to send a force abroad.

02381-FranceDoWMaan.jpg
France continued aggression started to fustrated Donnchad, as he ignored requests for Eire to join her ally in war against the Sheik of Maan in the Holy Lands - it was too far, and had nothing to do with the crusades (which was for Burgos) that the King of France was ostensibly participating in.

02382-PrimaNoctaeDublin.jpg
At home, the local barons seemed blind to the situation of their own people as they sought Donnchad's approval to install Prima Noctae in Dublin. The High King was greatly angered by the proposition and chased the men out, mace unlimbered.

-​

Here's the map for the last leg of the Gaelic War:
GaelicWar1-4small.png

Last edited:
Feedback

Zzzzz... - We're still about 100 pounds under, 2 years into peace. :(

gabor - This has to do with succession... of his 3 sons, only Trian has a male heir; but Donnchad prefers the martial Mathgamain (who has no children yet, being newly married). Hmm maybe I should elaborate that more in my next update... Inheritance in Eire is set at Salic Consanguinity, so the prestige/title of the son matters.

Donnchad really doesn't have a lot of land to give, despite a significantly sized demesne (8). Most of the lands are held to convert/export culture.

Last edited:
02.08 Eire Inherited

He loves sandcastles. The one in front of him was almost done – it had a large mound that looked just like the hill fort at home. At the top, blocks of pebbles marked the keep and archer towers that would defend the inner approaches. He started to shape the stairway up the slopes. Nice and e-

A shadow covered him and his fort, dispelling the sun and breaking his thought. He looked up to see a silhouette of a larger boy behind him. The sun was to the boy’s back, so all he could really make out was a grin. Mischievous. Malevolent.

There was something familiar about the figure. He felt like a brother, but that didn’t feel right either; he tried talking to the boy, but he didn’t seem to hear him.

A shadow of fear gripped his heart as he knew what would happen next. He rose to stop the boy. But he was larger and just shoved him away and started to kick the sandcastle down. The sight of the collapsing structures as grains of sand flew with each kick was too much to bear. With balled fists he launched after the older boy.

Why can’t this boy leave him alone? What had he ever done to him? Why aren’t his parents coming to help him?

The blows came strong and heavy. For a while they were evenly matched, but as the fight continued he felt a moment of panic as he realized his strength was waning, while the older boy’s was not. As weariness softened his punches, his opponent took advantage to hit the right spots. Blow after bloody blow until he fell hard to the sand, too hurt to resist or even to roll away.

When the bully was done, he walked away with a final kick to his face.

In his misted vision he saw the figure walk away, leaving behind the ruined sandcastle.
-​

02392-GallowayRevolts.jpg
Donnchad rued the day 2 years ago when he awarded the son of ex-Marshal Loigsech with the County of Galloway. The ungrateful count rebelled against his king and chief-of-House, his mind poisoned by the Spymistress Prawst, who in secret hated what Donnchad did to her father the “rightful” lord of Gwynedd.

Iron and blood must ever answer treachery. Prawst was replaced and exiled from the kingdom. War was declared against Count Ronan. The enclave at Carrick was mobilized against Count Ronan.

(OOC: OK I can’t really exile anyone so I just kept her around. Another thing CK2 could really improve on – exiles and their permanency thereof)

02397-Mathgamaindies.jpg
The rebellion of Galloway would cost more than prestige and soldiers for the High King, as news came from the battlefront that Mathgamain, Marshal of Eire and 3rd son of the king (said to be his favored heir) died from his wounds in battle. Spurred by their general’s death, the Carrick-men renewed their assault and overwhelmed the defenders at Galloway. A siege was under way. Still, the cost of the war was already too high for the High King.

02399-FranceDoWMacon.jpg
In winter, France once again went to war, with the rebelling count of Macon this time. Eire answered the call, though in truth saw no reason to dispatch his men to help since the war would be over before they land anywhere near the battlefields.

02400-TermstoGalloway.jpg
With the turn of spring, Galloway was captured and Donnchad stripped the rebellious count of Galloway of all titles. In honour of Mathgamain's sacrifice in the battle, the High King vowed to hold Galloway until Mathgamain's only son, the newborn Aengus, comes of age. Feradach, Donnchad's second son who was displaced as chancellor will become the new Marshal.

02402-TriangrantedCOsraige.jpg
Mathgamain's death also reminded Donnchad that he had yet left the choice of a successor undecided. The years of warfare had caused Donnchad to favor his youngest son Mathgamain, who was skilled in war and intrigued. Yet with Mathgamain’s dead, the choice was now between the more militant Feradach and the more cunning Trian. As Feradach had no son from his marriage for many years, Donnchad finally chose his eldest son Trian as crown prince, though he had little love for the Church.
As a mark of Trian’s advancement as Crown Prince, he was awarded the County of Osraige for his rule.

Trian’s prior position as Diocese Bishop was left empty, as Donnchad mistrusts the only other person suitable for the role – Rhodri of Dublin, a son of Gruffydd the traitor.

02413-AlliancewithFrance.jpg
In France, news came of a new King – King Guy I took over the kingdom from his father, who had died peacefully despite being engaged in many wars. Happily, the new Frankish king was eager to renew the alliance between Eire and his kingdom.

02415-FranceDoWToulouse.jpg
The new King of France continued his father's aggressive stance and declared war on the Duchy of Toulouse soon after his coronation. Donnchad would honor the alliance, but reasoned that the King doesn't need troops against the duchy.

02436-HuntingwithMunster-friends.jpg
Revolts seem to have ceased for the time, and Donnchad once again engaged in hunting trips to improve relations with neighbors.

02437-Perfrebels.jpg
In 1116, revolts seem to resurge after a year of quiet.

02447-Succession.jpg
Yet the revolts would outlast Donnchad, as by summer, the High King was dead.

Last edited:
02.09 Interlude

‘The Blessed’, Donnchad?

“My kingdom expanded despite the troubles, and I had three talented sons – one died in the battlefield as you well know – but at least I still have the other two. Blessed enough, I think.” Donnchad fingered the raven feather he found this morning. He sat at his usual desk, and the morning’s reports were still neatly placed on the side. An elaborate box, rectangular and about the size of a forearm, sat on the other side. Besides, I had a good laugh when at the bishops’ faces when they first heard it.

“So what disaster do you have planned, that I owe the honour of a personal visit?” With shivering hands, he pressed the feather down flat on the table again “Do you intend to take another son, perhaps?”

The spirit approached. Years had passed since he last saw her, but she looked just as he remembered. Mathgamain’s death was pre-ordained, Donnchad. He was never meant to outlast you. Had I not warned you, he would still have met his doom. If it is any comfort, know that he awaits you on the other side. As does Murchaid and Tailltiu.

“Other side?”

I come to take you away, from the troubles of this world, High King; Your role in this story is done.

“Hnh.”

He picked up the feather again, and this time placed the sheath with the rest of the feathers a box. As always, his finger lingered on the triskelion whorls decorating the lip. The familiar feel of the etchings steered him from the rising panic, to calmer waters of his mind as he considered his mortality.

“There is still much to be done.”

The realm will continue with your son. As you had brought change to your father’s reign, so would he to yours. She gestured to the door. Come away, Donnchad. Time passes.

“Cryptic as usual.” The High King rose to his feet. Perhaps it is time to leave. Trian would have to take care of himself – the Lord knows he had prepared the child enough for this.

“Tell me, at least – would you oversee his reign as you did mine?”

My work here is done. They walked towards the doorway that Donnchad suspected does not lead to the hallway like it usually did. She seemed to be relieved of some great weight. Someone else will be around.

“Good. At least he’ll have less boring conversations.” Donnchad smirked as they faded away. The look on her face is priceless.
-​

He loves sandcastles. The one in front of him was almost done – the raised ground held a thick defending wall made with wet sand. He’d sculpted a cunning gatehouse on one side to maximise the power of the archer towers around it. The keep would stand in the middle of his castle. He’s still wondering how he could connect it to some of the central archer towers – maybe some driftwood sticks to represent the sky walks? Or-

A shadow covered him and his castle, dispelling the sun and breaking his thought. He looked up to see a silhouette of a larger boy behind him. The sun was to the boy’s back, so all he could really make out was a grin. Mischievous. Malevolent.

He knew what would happen next. He lunged against the boy immediately. The element of surprise gave him the advantage – for a moment, he was able to overwhelm the older boy with his blows.

Why can’t this boy leave him alone? What had he ever done to him? Why aren’t his parents coming to help him?

But rage-fueled strength soon faded, and the older boy recovered from his surprise soon enough and soon regained the advantage of his size and strength. There was blood on his mouth but all that did was made him madder.

The blows came strong and heavy. For a while they were evenly matched, but as the fight continued he felt a moment of dread as he realized his strength was waning again, while the older boy’s was not. As weariness softened his punches, his opponent took advantage to hit the right spots. Blow after bloody blow until he fell hard to the sand, too hurt to resist and too stubborn to roll away.

When the bully was done, he walked away with a final kick to his face. He then turned to the sandcastle and kicked it down.

In his misted vision he saw the figure walk away, leaving behind the ruined sandcastle.

-​

Trian opened his eyes. It was that dream again.

The Count of Osraige rose from bed and felt his way to the low desk by dim lamp in his room. There, his hands found the bit of charred wood and bounded parchment he kept, and furiously he wrote down what he could remember. The boy and the sandcastle was obviously present, but there are other details they you quickly forget after the dream.

There was a woman. Hidden in the shadows of the trees by the beach. His mind caught a glimpse of her at the edge of his eyes. Definitely Honey-red hair with grey eyes.

Or was it? The fuzz of the dream was fading faster than mist in a hot summer day. He checked the older notes he had written before. Yes, there was definitely a woman.

What has this woman to do with these recurring dreams?

Outside, a soft light from the false dawn crept through his window. Osraige is a peaceful county and easy to manage. Even now, nothing stirred in the countryside except farmers preparing to work the fields. The months of idyll almost made Trian miss the hustle and bustle of his father’s court. There’s always something happening somewhere in the rule of a kingdom.

A knock on the door broke his thoughts.

Four knocks. An urgent message, then.

“Enter.”

“My lord, news from Dublin. The High King…”

Map b. The World in 1116AD

World1116ADAged.png

The Isles
Eire has gained some territories despite being engaged in rebellions and a war with the Scots - Wales is now completely under our control and we made some headway into Scotland as well. France also extended rule into Britain with territories in Canterbury and Lothian. The bit of green in north Scotland is an OPM (Sutherland) that pirated our emerald colour, not affiliated to Eire.

Gaul
France is reunited and growing stronger. Only the Duchy of Toulouse seems to stand independent.

The HRE
Gains were made in Toscana and Sardinia, but the empire also lost Carinthia and some of its eastern provinces.

East Europe
Poland expanded eastwards at the expense of the tribe of Livonia, while Hungary and Bohemia stayed pretty much the same throughout Donnchad’s reign.

The North
Sweden had absorbed Norway and Demark makes headway in Osterland. We seem to be heading for a two-power Scandinavia here. Or would we see a Kalmar Union? Tis hard to say…

Baltics
The region remains a patchwork of claims even as Novogrod shrinks. The Teutonic Order is wiped. The ascendant Swedes have gained some provinces here too.

Italy
Duchy of Apulia has finally formed the Kingdom of Sicily, despite the fact that the island of that namesake is now a patchwork of owners. There’s the HRE, the Papacy, Sicily, and Muslim powers… talk about cosmopolitan.

Hispania
The Taifas sit in peace during this period, even as Barcelona continued to etch out a continued existence.

Balkans / Asia Minor
Croatia reclaimed its lost territories and Pomerania is no more. Byzantium crumbles ever so slowly in the face of rebellious lords and encroaching neighbours.

Russia
Chernigov and Pereslavl have expanded at the expanse of everyone else here. They seem to be heading for an inevitable clash.

Africa
The region is almost unchanged during Donnchad's reign.

Middle East
The Turks face competition with the Qarakhind. The Crusades had created Christian pockets in the Holy land, and totally overwhelmed the Shiekdom of Jersusalem. Damascus is an island of calm in a sea of chaotic religious warfare.

Caucasus
The region is still a patchwork of minor powers as no neighbouring kingdom has the power to impose authority there.

Feedback

Wishing all readers a Prosperous Chinese New Year… it’s a holiday here in Singapore.

Magmaniac – I’m pretty optimistic about Trian’s stats. His reign would be a watershed moment in Eire, I think.
Zzzzz...– Dalriata and more. The Dunkelds will pay for their belligerence!:mad:

03.01 The Road to Recovery

Donnchad the Blessed died on the 30th day of July, in the 1116 year of Our Lord, while going about the daily reports on his desk. As his father before him, Donnchad was buried at his family home in Laigin. The title of High King of Eire would pass on to Donnchad’s eldest son, Trian Count of Osraige and Diocese Bishop of Eire.

Trian inherited the crown of Eire at a time of great change. The kingdom had weathered internal strife and external conflict; a cautious optimism pervaded the royal court after victory in what would later be called the First Gaelic War. In the townships, the High King’s authority was still challenged by the masses in revolt.

Having witnessed much of the hard times first hand in his father’s court, Trian was committed to restore the prestige and dignity of his House. Fittingly, much of Trian’s initial plans were focused on reforms to the Kingdom.

03001-AlliancewithFrance.jpg
Peace was critical if Trian wished rebuild his kingdom. A continued alliance with France afforded protection from foreign aggressors.

03001a-RhodriisBI.jpg
The High King, being schooled in religion, felt that his Kingdom cannot do without a spiritual leader. Trian quickly appointed Rhodri of Dublin, one of the sons of Gruffydd the traitor, as the new Bishop.

03005-Templarsformed.jpg
Trian’s first year as sovereign saw the re-instatement of the Order of Templars in the Holy Lands.

03008-Mannrevolts.jpg
Besides the royal titles and the demesne, Trian (unfortunately) also inherited the popular revolts of the land from his father.

03009-FranceDoWGuines.jpg
… as well as the obligation to support an aggressive King of France on a mission to crush all who would oppose him.

03012-Burgosconquered-Crusadeends.jpg
While events kept Trian busy at home, good news came from the Crusades in Hispania. The Duchy of Barcelona finally liberated Burgos and the 4th Crusade was successfully concluded. While this was joyous news, the High King wondered if the Duchy of Barcelona had bitten more than he could chew…

03014-EstatesGeneral-None.jpg
As a measure of the effectiveness of the High King’s reforms, Trian was able to reject the call for Estates General within a year of his reign. Unfortunately the local barons were not convinced that the High King’s new tax systems would lead to stability in the kingdom, and so Eire continued to be unstable despite being fiscally sound.

03017-Perfrevolts.jpg
… and as if to echo this skepticism, revolts persisted.

03021-GiveintoDemandsatPerf.jpg
Trian acceded to the requests of the common folk, eager to see them tending the fields rather than opposing his rule.

03022-JerusalemFounded.jpg
The new year opened with grand news from the Holy Lands - the Kingdom of Jerusalem was created from the lands recently conquered by the French in their wars in the Holy Lands.

03027-PerfisnowIrish.jpg
Closer to home, in Perfeddwlad, years of Irish migration had converted the dominant culture of the province to Irish. Increasingly, Irish ways were becoming part of the Breton lifestyle. True celtic cultural syncretism would begin in the royal enclaves of Eire.

03029-LaigincompletesCivHarb.jpg
As part of Trian's plans to rebuild his kingdom, a civilian harbor was completed in Laigin. Trade would improve and families could find easier passage to settle beyond the emerald isle, particularly in the royal enclave in Devon.

03038-PerfcompletesRoyalPost.jpg
With the growing treasury, Trian also directed the construction of Royal Posts in the royal enclaves. These forerunners of the postal service would ensure that the High King's instructions were received at the quickest time at the further reaches of the kingdom.

03039-SmugglersbrokeninMann.jpg
As Eire continued on the path to recovery, the common folk had less need of the more unscrupulous elements of society. Those that sought to evade the King’s justice were apprehended, or sometimes just faded away as conditions improved.

03041-CormacisCrazed.jpg
Lest many would forget – Trian also inherited the care of his father’s bastard son, Cormac, who was recently struck by delusions that he was true ruler of Eire. Trian let his crazed half-brother be, but informed his spymaster to keep an eye on him nonetheless.

03044-MerchantsandStability-TrianisnowModest.jpg
The High King continued to find ways to improve his kingdom and deals were struck to empower the local merchants to support commerce. Trian's modesty in approaching the common folk were praised by all and recognized as a stabilizing factor in the region.

03049-DevonstartsGlass.jpg
Just as strong fiscal fundamentals were the foundation of a prosperous kingdom, Trian reasoned that industry would form many of the pillars. As an experiment, the High King imported the foreign knowledge of glass-making to Devon.

03056-FranceDoWForcalquier-Irelandjoinsin.jpg
Abroad, France continued its quest to unite all of Gaul and declared war on the county of Forcalquier. As usual, Trian supported the King of France in this matter, even if no Irish levies would be sent in the long journey to the battlefield.

03064-KingdomofWales.jpg
By the end of the second year of his reign, Trian judged that the land is recovering enough to establish a life goal that his father had put off in the face of the troubles in his times. The High King exercised his family’s influence over the Dukes of Deheubarth – loyal subjects of the throne; and Gwynedd – an Irish House grateful of being recently uplifted to their rank; to support a petition to Roma to recognise him as High King of an Bhreatain Bheag (Wales).

With Irish culture gaining acceptance in Wales, and the support of the nobles of the land, Trian’s petition was successful, and the High King’s new title was remodeled as:

Trian, by the Grace of God, The Builder, High King of Éire and the realm of an Bhreatain Bheag

03067-CultureChange.jpg
More auspicious news followed, as a recent census found that the folk of Carrick, spurred by the many Irish lives lost in the defense of their region during the Gaelic War, took to the culture of their Irish masters quickly.

03070-EstatesGeneral-None.jpg
With ample funds in the treasury, Trian once again rejected calls for an Estates General. Unfortunately the barons of the land were not yet convinced of the kingdom’s recovery. Trian felt at a loss of how to treat them of their skepticism.

03074-TaxesandMercy.jpg
Undeterred by the views of his barons, Trian's reforms continued, and had become so effective that courtiers felt that the court had overburdened the common folk. Thankfully the reform had made enough to pay for itself. If only most fiscal issues can be so easily solved...

Despite minor obstacles, Trian’s early reign was marked by leaps of recovery. In an environment of growing confidence, Irish culture took root across the Irish Sea. Trian’s luck would not last forever, but for now, it was good to be the High King.

Last edited:
Feedback

Viden – Thank You for your support!

Zzzzz… - with such good stats he better not die from an early death before he actually gets some significant things done…

gabor – Thanks! I was hoping to intrigue… I’m still grappling with the issue of pagan spirits appearing in front of Christian kings… I mean, unlike his father and granddad, Trian actually had a spiritual education (being a Master Theologian). It felt right to treat his scenes a bit differently – which in this case meant cryptic recurring dreams.

Sergei Meranov - Thanks! Much encouraged by responses...

Last edited: