• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alyosha

Commandant
19 Badges
Feb 20, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
(Pardon if I misspelled either state name)

Playing a game as Japan, I have cores on Sakhalin and the Kuril/Chishima Islands (northeast of Hokkaido). I can DoW Russia with an Acquire Core cb for both. Russia colonized Sakhalin (Russian HaInshenwai) before I civilized; recently, they conquered Chinese HaInshenwai, which includes Vladivostok.

I am curious if I DoW Russia for with an Acquire Core cb if I would receive only Sakhalin or the entire HaInshenwai state, as I only have claims on Sakhalin. While I would not turn down the extra territory on the mainland it would seem a bit much. If so I may suggest that in the future Sakhalin be moved from the HaInshenwai state to Shumshu, which includes the Kuril Islands and Hokkaido. That way a successful Japanese conquest would only net it Sakhalin as opposed to the mainland.

All aquire state CBs give you the entire region, not just the particular province. Not sure why that is, as it creates some unusual borders, but nonetheless that is what happens when you use that war goal.

You could edit the save game file if thats something you're comfortable with, giving yourself the single province you desire. Otherwise, taking the whole region is the only way to get it.

I'm thinking that maybe Paradox did it the way it was to have a war happen between Japan and Russia, to slightly simulate the Russo-Japanese wars of the early 1900s.
A war would still likely happen as Russia has a head start on colonizing Sakhalin by virtue of starting civilized. Unless the Japanese player is able to civilize AND gain the right techs before Russia it is unlikely that Japan would beat Russia on the colonization front.

There are many provinces that I have found that I think should fit in other regions better. Hard to tell exactly why they put them where they did.
Indeed. Two others that come to mind are Mombasa being a part of what is otherwise a "Tanganyika" state and the strange configuration of the states in what becomes northern Chile, whereby Chile has to take larger portions than it historically held.