• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No idea

Field Marshal
53 Badges
Jan 11, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I seem to recall reading at the strategy guide that if you forgot to select a tech to research it was no problem, because those research points wouldn´t be lost, but added after you picked one tech to research. Can anybody confirm if it works this way? I ask because it´s March 1839 and I want to research Idealism as soon as possible, not having to wait to another tech to finish.

Just make a back up of the save game and try.

I thing that if you have no tech being researched and decide to research one it wont matter. You have been gathering research points.

But how ever if you want to chance techs there will be a problem.

If you hover your mouse over the research points in the main screen you'll get a tooltip that expands after 2 additional seconds and shows you then the accumulated research points in case of no tech was chosen.

It is a very good feature!
IMO there is no reason for turning that off. E. g. in case of a fiery war I'm so busy sometimes I have not the time to choose out a new technology. It is very helpfull that the research points will not be lost.

Last edited:
You can't turn it off, but you can limit the effect.
In vanilla, you can't use more than 1000 points per day in research
Define.lua
Code:
MAX_DAILY_RESEARCH		    = 1000,

If you change this value to something like 50, the research point pool would still increase the speed of research but it would have a low effect.

You can't turn it off, but you can limit the effect.
In vanilla, you can't use more than 1000 points per day in research
Define.lua
Code:
MAX_DAILY_RESEARCH		    = 1000,

If you change this value to something like 50, the research point pool would still increase the speed of research but it would have a low effect.

So.... if you have something like 3000 points saved up, it gets invest over 3 days? Is that what this is saying?

Thank you guys. I´ll try it.

It's very useful, especially for the research efficiency techs, colonization techs and for strong military techs like machine guns.

It is also vital in multiplayer.
But it is also an exploit when those saved research points are spent on a technology that wasn't researchable at the time they were generated.
It is also an exploit to deliberately save them up and then decide on what to research - so that you can invest in a military tech only if you actually need it.
It is only desirable in multiplayer because of the way the system works.

But it is also an exploit when those saved research points are spent on a technology that wasn't researchable at the time they were generated.
It is also an exploit to deliberately save them up and then decide on what to research - so that you can invest in a military tech only if you actually need it.
It is only desirable in multiplayer because of the way the system works.

Why is it an expolit when saving research points up is WAD in the game? Please see my post #6 in this thread to avoid repeatings.

I save RP's all the time. Most "powerfully" if i'm an advanced nation and it's a few years before 1900 hits, then I can research Bolt Action Rifles, the Gas Attack tech, and the Armor tech all at once. It's extremely powerful if planned well. And more generally if there's a +RP tech coming in a couple years, I just don't bother picking anything and then get that tech instantly.

Why is it an expolit when saving research points up is WAD in the game? Please see my post #6 in this thread to avoid repeatings.
It is an exploit because you are using it to get round a constraint.

It is an exploit to save research points so that you can spent them in a later year on a tech you can't research this year - here you are getting round the limitation on when techs can be researched.
It is an exploit to save research points so that you can spend them at a later time based on events that have happened in the mean time - here you are avoiding the laws of time. Can you name a historical example of a nation deciding what it had spend the last 11 months researching as a response to an event that has just happened. Example you have a tactics tech and a research tech available - you want both however by delaying the decision on which to research until either you are attacked or you have sufficient points, you are avoiding the risk of making the wrong choice.
It is not an exploit to delay picking a tech purely because you are busy doing more important things, provided you then pick a tech that was available when you completed the previous tech.

It is an exploit because you are using it to get round a constraint.

It is an exploit to save research points so that you can spent them in a later year on a tech you can't research this year - here you are getting round the limitation on when techs can be researched.
It is an exploit to save research points so that you can spend them at a later time based on events that have happened in the mean time - here you are avoiding the laws of time. Can you name a historical example of a nation deciding what it had spend the last 11 months researching as a response to an event that has just happened. Example you have a tactics tech and a research tech available - you want both however by delaying the decision on which to research until either you are attacked or you have sufficient points, you are avoiding the risk of making the wrong choice.
It is not an exploit to delay picking a tech purely because you are busy doing more important things, provided you then pick a tech that was available when you completed the previous tech.

The game cuts so many corners on realism, I don't view it as an exploit. You could say that the UK's mere existence is using an exploit because of assimilating Indian POPs, or that building Steam Transports at all in 1.1 was an exploit. That's not the case.

In my mind an exploit is when something is bugged, and you use it to your advantage. Badly balanced or designed is not an exploit.

@sagji:
I understand saving up research points is not historically correct, it is further more unrealistic to delay the choice and simultaneously obtaining research points for a future decision.
I accept your opinion you see it as something that should be changed.

But it is definitively not an exploit. An exploit is similar to anything that happens accidentally, anything that is not wanted by the makers or with other words: an exploit is a gap in a software that is only few inches away calling it as a bug.

If I remember right there is a sentence that says: 'We have accumulated xxxx research points that are currently unused.' As I told before in an earlier post this sentence appears in a tooltip if you hover the mouse over the figures right beside the magnifying glass in the main screen, provided no tech was chosen. So saving up research points can't be unwanted. It was a clear decision by the producers of Victoria II to create this feature and even creating this sentence to inform the player.

I hope this feature will not be taken out of the game in v1.3. It would doubtlessly give the game a more realistic note, but would also damages the fun playing Victoria II. This is my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.