• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any CK game about North America needs to have a way for dealing with "empty" provinces and colonization. The CK1 model of colonization was that you simply conquer a province, and then its inhabitants become your subjects... there's nothing about population movement, or empty provinces becoming densely settled.

That would be a difficulty for a North American scenario, since you need some way to have empty (i.e. nomadic) provinces of population density < 1 per sq.mile turn into a land of medieval villages, farms and so on. In Europe, almost every place that can be settled is already settled, but in North America you have nomads, and a place being largely empty does not mean it can't develop into a busting city once people build permanent settlements there.

Yeah but we're talking about ck2 and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that there will be up to 8 available spots for towns or whatever that you can put in each province if you can afford to expand, so I imagine the sparsely populated areas will have only one fief in a province initially and with investment you can slowly develop it to more.

This may be a issue we have to resolve when the game is released or perhaps from a dev diary. I am not sure the last dev diary really spelled out how empty provinces will be handled.

Last edited:
You could still keep Native Americans in-game, with your proposed idea of Europeans/North Africans coming in waves, disease could be dealt with early (by-the-by human diseases did indeed exist in the Americas prior to Columbus). The Arians could have already been actively trading with many of the local natives (If you're thinking Louisiana Delta for the Arians the only way they'd have access to good stone would be to trade further upstream), which would include beasts of burden and horses, so by the 12th Century a potent (like Mongolian) horse culture could have developed in the Great Plains and Northern Steppes of America... of course the Western US and Canada would be harsh places to eek out a living, it was dubious with 17th Century Technology. The Furthest west a 'Westerner' Society would logically stop would be Missouri, beyond that harsh weather conditions, and very aggressive natives would have made life incredibly difficult for a society with medieval technology.

At game start, the predominant North American native power would be Cahokia, near modern day Springfield Illinois, with access to knowledge on how to forge steel weapons, and western agriculture they could pose a formidable bulwark against western expansion in the early game, but because of the spread of illnesses, by the mid game they'd be in trouble, and the door to the west would finally be open... to an eastern invasion by the Lakota, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Blackfeet... take your pick.

The American South West would quickly pick up on beasts of burden, preferably sheep. The Pueblo and Navajo stand right at the crossroads of Southern Mexico, and would be on the only viable trade routes from East to West, turning them into potentially wealthy nations (although agriculturally poor ones).

Central Mexico would be heavily balkanized, at 1066 the Aztecs are just in their infancy, and the Maya are in the middle of a civil war, even if they did know about Westerners coming in, they'd be too concerned with their own problems. The Aztecs (because nobody is really sure where the Aztecs came from, and why they left where they did originate) could appear out of the North, Steel Swords in hand and proclaiming the word of god, and that all men should pray to Saint Mark... it'd be an interesting twist... A Native American "Crusades" of sort.

The Pacific Coast is where I'm having trouble visualizing much, it could easily handle Westerner civilizations, but how they get there is a problem.

Also, what are you thinking of for map boundaries? Just north america, or south america too? How far north? The farthest most of the islands of north america and the ocean there should obviously be impossible, but where to draw the boundary?

The Pacific Coast is where I'm having trouble visualizing much, it could easily handle Westerner civilizations, but how they get there is a problem.

I suppose now is a good time to discuss the map. After reviewing some habitat maps of North America, I have a rough idea about boundaries.

In the north, Newfoundland and the Coast of Labrador should be in, but everthing else North should be out. If the game allows permanent terra incognita, the vast majority of Quebec and Ontario would be off limits; only the areas surrounding cities like Quebec City, Ottawa, and Toronto should be habitable. Only hardy stock should live in this area, so I believe the Vikings will end up settling these regions of Canada. I think they will also inhavit Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Maine.

The southern boundary is a bit harder to define; I don't know that one would consider the tropical rainforests of Central America suitable to settlement by Europeans. The same would go for the Caribbean.

The west is rather difficult; although, I agree a nomadic horsemen culture seems natural. I don't feel CKI represented the steppe of the Ukraine or Russia very well; hopefully we can duplicate CKII's treatment of nomadic cultures in Western America.

It would be wonderful if California would make it into such a mod. It could be a land of legend where milk and honey flow freely. We could even make it a target of a crusade like mission. March as many men and supplies you can over the mountains and dessert to capture it from the natives; just an idea.

I suppose now is a good time to discuss the map. After reviewing some habitat maps of North America, I have a rough idea about boundaries.

In the north, Newfoundland and the Coast of Labrador should be in, but everthing else North should be out. If the game allows permanent terra incognita, the vast majority of Quebec and Ontario would be off limits; only the areas surrounding cities like Quebec City, Ottawa, and Toronto should be habitable. Only hardy stock should live in this area, so I believe the Vikings will end up settling these regions of Canada. I think they will also inhavit Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Maine.

The southern boundary is a bit harder to define; I don't know that one would consider the tropical rainforests of Central America suitable to settlement by Europeans. The same would go for the Caribbean.

The west is rather difficult; although, I agree a nomadic horsemen culture seems natural. I don't feel CKI represented the steppe of the Ukraine or Russia very well; hopefully we can duplicate CKII's treatment of nomadic cultures in Western America.

It would be wonderful if California would make it into such a mod. It could be a land of legend where milk and honey flow freely. We could even make it a target of a crusade like mission. March as many men and supplies you can over the mountains and dessert to capture it from the natives; just an idea.

I'm not so sure it would actually need the Caribbean or the Pacific coast... presumably CK2 won't have much in the way of naval combat, so a fun game could be designed already if you only take the north American continent east of the Mississippi.

Medievals would naturally also explore (and settle) the Caribbean, but for the purpose of making a fantasy medieval North America, I think it would be viable to just ignore those regions, and focus on the eastern USA. No Aztecs, no Maya, no Pueblo, no Apache, no Caribbean, just the east coast + Appalachians + Quebec + Mississippi plains. CK is not really a global strategy game, it's more focused on a provinces, castles, etc, and you have more than enough land to model that just using the eastern half of the USA. It's large enough to accomodate a dozen kingdoms, plus native tribes, easily.

I'm not so sure it would actually need the Caribbean or the Pacific coast... presumably CK2 won't have much in the way of naval combat, so a fun game could be designed already if you only take the north American continent east of the Mississippi.

Medievals would naturally also explore (and settle) the Caribbean, but for the purpose of making a fantasy medieval North America, I think it would be viable to just ignore those regions, and focus on the eastern USA. No Aztecs, no Maya, no Pueblo, no Apache, no Caribbean, just the east coast + Appalachians + Quebec + Mississippi plains. CK is not really a global strategy game, it's more focused on a provinces, castles, etc, and you have more than enough land to model that just using the eastern half of the USA. It's large enough to accomodate a dozen kingdoms, plus native tribes, easily.

I agree, it would also just be simpler not to have to worry about these other regions. Concentrating on a smaller part of the continent will allow one to have many more small provinces/counties, which will be interesting.

On another note, I am working on ideas for the Visigothic and Vandal settlement in NA. First I have to get them there, which I should post hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't think it would make sense to have Chinese settlers. The Chinese for the most part didn't care about anything outside of china and considered everything else as inferior worthless backwaters, they wouldn't even dare colonize something as close as Taiwan. If any colonization came from asia, it would either be some southeast asian maritime power slowly island hopping eastwards, or some northern inuit type of group going across to alaska. Both of which would be interesting to have in game, but not as any real major developed polities.

Have you ever heard of the Chinese Tresaure Fleets and Zheng He? What if he got caught in a storm and swept into the Pacific, where he got caught in the North Pacific Gyre and landed in NA?

Have you ever heard of the Chinese Tresaure Fleets and Zheng He? What if he got caught in a storm and swept into the Pacific, where he got caught in the North Pacific Gyre and landed in NA?

That was rather late though (1421) in the CK timeframe :)

But since this is somewaht of a 'fantasy' mod I don't see why you can't have a Chinese realm to on the map.

SO is the main focus of the mod that Native americans formed European-style societies naturally, or that European colonization occured earlier than it did ITTL

Anyway, I'm very interested in this mod and would very much like to contribute the the utmost of my abilities (although RL may sometimes interfere)

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm very interested in this mod and would very much like to contribute the the utmost of my abilities (although RL may sometimes interfere)

Seeing as there is some support for this mod, I'm gonna invite anyone to offer a story to a backstory for a European culture settling in NA. Frankly, I'm have a writing block at the moment. I would like to reserve for myself the backstory for the Franks, which I will go ahead and let you know it involves the Pope and the Roman Emperor granting the Franks viceregal status in NA. In the timeline I imagine, the Western Roman Empire does not collapse in 476; it survives a bit longer in the West. The Emperor and the Pope (Bishop of Rome) see several groups, mostly heretical, founding their own kingdoms in NA. The Empire and the Church send the Franks on a mission to convert these heretics, but in reality they want a piece of the pie for themselves.

Anyway, lets keep it Christian, Muslim, and Pagan cultures for the moment. I'm sure you all have ideas. . .

Well, I've never been a great writer, but I think this mod is great idea, and I'll just add my two cents. Like was said before, Anglo-Saxons fleeing the Normans, maybe settling in New England or southern Canada is a good idea. Maybe also Baltic pagans made it to NA somehow, in response to the Teutonic order's crusades. Also, if there is sustained contact between Europe and NA in this mod, how will that be modeled?

Well, I've never been a great writer, but I think this mod is great idea, and I'll just add my two cents. Like was said before, Anglo-Saxons fleeing the Normans, maybe settling in New England or southern Canada is a good idea. Maybe also Baltic pagans made it to NA somehow, in response to the Teutonic order's crusades. Also, if there is sustained contact between Europe and NA in this mod, how will that be modeled?

I'm actually not planning on sustaining European contact w/ NA. Contact will end at some point after the major cultures have settled in NA. Then, they close contact ( I have decided the how/why just yet ). It will probably be some devastating disease in Europe that or a societal collapse or some kind. Either way, I want the Frankish represenative of the Emperor to take up the mantle in NA. He can attempt to hold together his domain while bring the rest of the heretical Christians under his yoke. I can see the papal legate claiming the sucession of St. Peter after seemingly forever losing contact with the Holy See.

Overall, it will be much simpler to treat NA in 1066 as independent of Europe; they have to fend for themselves.

I made a map with the major river systems and threw in some ideas of how the continent will be laid out, I assume it's not very much like what you were thinking. I can change anything on the map pretty easily so just tell me what to put where. It's just vague areas circled for different groups right now, as it gets more fleshed out I can change locations of things and refine it with more detail, province divisions, names of cities, regions, etc.

http://kupax.com/files/15003_dvp8u/ideas.gif
ideas.gif

From what I understand, one of the most important reasons that Pre-Columbian societies had not advanced on par with European and Asian civilizations was on account of a general lack of animal species suitable for domestication. Agriculture drives human civilizations forward, so as long as agricultural inputs continue to decrease while agricultural outputs continue to increase, human civilizations will prosper both in size and complexity. In the High Middle Ages, Europeans developed such agricultural innovations as the three-field system, heavy plows, and the switch from oxen to horses as beasts of burden. It is this latter innovation where Pre-Columbian civilizations suffered, for they did not have horses or oxen. To my knowledge, the only domesticated beasts of burden in the Americas were the llamas and alpacas of South America.

There may have been other factors I am not considering, but this appears to be a rather obvious one. On an aside, this may explain, at least in part, why other regions of the world did not develop as fast as others; for example, Sub-Saharan Africans only had access one native species suitable as a beast of burden: the donkey.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about these things as it is a fantasy. Scientists believe there were many other species suitable for domestication in the Americas during the last ice age, but they became extinct. (There is a bit of disagreement about how they died out.) In this world, they simply won't be extinct; the people of North America can have full access to all the species found in Eurasia.

I've read that another major factor for European advancement compared to the rest of the world was the relative easily accessible near-surface metal ores in Europe compared to many other parts of the world; that is to say that an iron or copper "mine" in Europe around the CK era is basically a ground level hole where the ores are visible at the surface and therefore easily removed without any advanced tools or techniques.

I've read that another major factor for European advancement compared to the rest of the world was the relative easily accessible near-surface metal ores in Europe compared to many other parts of the world; that is to say that an iron or copper "mine" in Europe around the CK era is basically a ground level hole where the ores are visible at the surface and therefore easily removed without any advanced tools or techniques.

Its possible we could simulate this issue. One idea springs to mind: a global static modifier reducing county/settlement levies by a certain percentage, or some other way to simulate an increased demand on manpower to extract natural resources from the Earth. They haven't revealed it yet in a Dev Diary, but I wonder if they will attempt to simulate a medieval economy with prices for goods/resources. If I'm not mistaken, most resources were only traded locally or regionally with your rare resources like silk, lapis lazuli, or marble being traded more extensively. Of course this opens up a whole other realm of issues for this mod: a medieval economy in NA.

I made a map with the major river systems and threw in some ideas of how the continent will be laid out, I assume it's not very much like what you were thinking. I can change anything on the map pretty easily so just tell me what to put where. It's just vague areas circled for different groups right now, as it gets more fleshed out I can change locations of things and refine it with more detail, province divisions, names of cities, regions, etc.

http://kupax.com/files/15003_dvp8u/ideas.gif
ideas.gif
Nice map! But I think those boundaries are a bit too wide.

If it's to be a medieval scenario, then the European settlers need to behave like medieval people. For one thing, they won't have much in the way of transoceanic trade - so fur hunting is right out as a means of making a living. The Canadian interior and Labrador will remain unsettled, and the great lakes region is not a very inviting place either. Nothing like the early French exploration would happen.

Secondly, since people have only access to not very seaworthy ships, and are not naval-oriented by natural disposition (excpetion: Vikings), settlements along a coast are difficult to maintain for economical and military reasons. Rather than extending their settlements along the coasts, they would bunch together, and try to carve out a territory of their own towards the interior, a fiefdom with as short borders as possible. Think County of Edessa. Coasts with difficult terrain right behind them are downright inhospitable - shallow settlements along the coasts of, say, South Carolina, Florida or Alabama would not be able to defend themselves against the hostile Indians of the swamplands behind the coast. The fertile interior of New York, Delaware, New England or Maryland on the other hand would be a good place where the "core" of a medieval society could develop, there's ample room, the terrain is not too difficult, the soils is fertile, and you can shove out the Indians by pushing up the rivers and linking the settlements.

Then there's the psychological element. Medieval peasants are not supposed to be adventurous people. They shy from wild, dark forests with strange peoples whose behavior towards arrogant strangers could be right out of a scary nightmare. They will wait for their dukes and princes to conquer these lands from the natives in the name of God, and then follow those lords as they establish new fiefdoms and invite settlers. So unless you make the Indians all disappear from diseases (where's the fun in that??), this would mean, waves of settlements would only follow those big "crusades" against the heathen forest and swamp dwellers. Those campaigns would be big endeavours, not small-scale frontier warfare. Think baltic crusades - they're crusades whose movement you can put on a map with big arrows. As often as not, a crusade may fail, with lots of lords and their knights ending up slaughtered in the wild forests, their skalps and armor ending up as decoration of some supreme iroquis chieftain's main hall.

Lastly, economics again. A medieval economy is an economy without much specialization. Farmers don't produce much in the way of cash crops, rather they produce food, and surpluses are small. Therefore there are few cities. The centers of medieval civilization (in the classical, western European sense) are the courts of the kings, who often or not may be travelling courts, or courts that convene only every now and then, since the appetite of the king's entourage would quickly exhaust the stores of the local towns, if they made their court permanent. The dukes and barons would most of the time be in their own lands. This means that, for a kingdom to expand its power, it needs to expand its territory, more precisely, it needs to expand the size of its arable lands. Conquering "strategic" islands or coastal fortresses is not going to happen, since a territory can only be held permanently if its inhabitants and the garrison can live off that land. No settlement in Florida or on those small, sugar-growing caribbean islands.

I felt so bold as to take your map and paint the areas on the continent that I think would make good areas for medievals at game start:

The "Marshland Indians" area is pretty harsh for medieval settlers, for reasons I outlined. Same with the Great Lakes area. Both could be areas where Indians resist the Europeans.

The light blue area I took to be Vikings of some sort. They could have fun raiding the dark blue Europeans in the east coast area for easy loot, and otherwise make a living fishing and a bit of farming.

Now in the dynamics of the game, the blue east coasters would probably seek to push towards the Great Lakes, towards upstate New York and towards Kentucky across the Cumberland Gap, since those are the areas where fertile land is to be had. They'd also probably fill up Maine and northeastern New England as well, but without so much fuss as big crusades.

The Vikings would push up the St Lawrence river in quest for land, as well as what's southern Ontario nowadays, and would raid the east coast. Going towards Labrador or the Canadian interior to their northwest would not be so inviting, it's cold, densely forested and full of hostile natives. They would clash with the East Coasters in upstate new york eventually.

The purples, which you labeled as Arians (?) could bunch their settlements around the most defensible area, i.e. southern Louisiana, and expand inwards from there. I don't think they would settle the Alabama coast or the Texan coasts, for lack of defensible lands, and for other reasons outlined above. Their expansion dynamics would lead them up the main rivers, towards the fertile lands of Arkansas and eventually Missouri. They could also push a bit towards western Georgia, but AFAIK that was mostly swamps before European settlement? Might not be as inviting as the more open land along the mississippi. :)

Leviathan07,

You make several goods points concerning where settlement is likely, but there is still one question to ponder. If the original settlement of NA will be between 600 and 250 years before game start, how much progress would the medieval Europeans have made? How far into the interior would they have made it?

I agree with you on the Caribbean and Florida. Short of changing the terrain and climate of these areas, it just wouldn't be possible to sustain settlements in these regions.

If we adapt a mod along the lines you have outlined, I think the game would turn into a very interesting game. Mountain passes or gaps would be strategically critical. I live only about 70 miles or an hour and twenty minutes from the Cumberland Gap, its strategic importance is obvious. Before the interstate system, it was one of the only ways to get to Kentucky from East Tennessee, and it is still an important route.

These maps are great, but I'm going to try and find a map that is smaller in scope. Perhaps would should really only concentrate on everything east of the Mississippi. A map showing major land forms would be helpful as well.

I figured that with hundreds of years of development, the european colonists would have plenty of time to develop into fairly large entities with population enough for some cities, or at least major population centers, spread out over some area. I think the first wave would be sort of a supporting point for other waves, as even if they didn't have friendly relations the newer cultures coming in could look to what those from the earlier waves have done and learn a lot about how to prosper in the new world.

Also, I disagree about the Caribbean, I think some of the settlers from europe would find these places as perfectly adequate. Probably not northern europeans like the Franks, but the moors at least would have some experience with warmer climates. Egyptians from the first wave as well. Especially once the first wave has been well established they would certainly look to take the islands, the natives there are weak compared to most of the mainland natives, the land is fertile, and islands are easy to defend. Plus taking the islands would be good for maritime economies to develop later.

And remember it is a fantasy, we could just have the europeans settle wherever we want and make up reasons as long as VenetianPriest supports it.

And remember it is a fantasy, we could just have the europeans settle wherever we want and make up reasons as long as VenetianPriest supports it.

Well, this is something we should all come to a consensus on now: should the fantasy end with Europeans settling in NA as early as the Fourth Century? Should we attempt to accurately simulate Europeans living, prospering, and failing in a New World? Or should we fit the terrain, climate, native populations or lack thereof to our needs/wants? The former is obviously the more challenging, but we must remember that we have plenty of time to work on such a mod, about thirteen or fourteen months before the game is even released. I can see the topics of of this thread shifting in reaction to the monthly dev diary; they will all raise new issues in NA.

I assure you I don't know enough about modding to claim this as my own; that is why I need your help. I know enough to mod events, decisions, history files, interface graphics, common files, and flags; but I am no artist. Therefore, I cannot hope to do justice to a map. When we get closer to game release, we should probably begin dividing duties/projects. Agruably, the history files are going to be a bear, specifcally the character files since we will be starting from scratch.

I think it makes the most sense to lay things out as we want it to look at the game start in 1066, and then work backwards and fill in the history to explain how it got to that point. I think that would be the best for gaming reasons as opposed to trying to figure out what would have happened "realistically" (which is a ridiculous concept for this anyways). This way we can lay out balance geographically, economically, etc. as we see fit.