• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General
20 Badges
Nov 10, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
I've just begun to play V2, and as of yet I don't understand the appeal of laissez-faire economics. It seems to be to your advantage to be able to direct the building of factories, rather than having your hands tied by the whims of capitalists.

Am I right or am I way off base?

actually laissez faire is where only capitalists control the economy.

Yeah that's what he's concerned with.

The only advantage that I know of is that L-F increases your overall factory (and RGO?) production. This would net you more tax revenue, while increasing your Capitalists' savings (if you already have a factory base).

There are certain production bonuses I believe and it frees up your budget (and mouse/keyboard) to take care of the military, etc rather than building railroads or subsidizing factories. At the moment though LF seems to be FUBAR because, from what I've seen, capitalists never seem to reopen or destroy factories...

Nominally, there are production advantages, I believe. Frankly, I think there are few people who choose it.

Look at IND scores from various countries and it is very tough to get close to them with a comparable country while using a LF economic policy. In fact, its far more common to hear of people with very good scores who switch to LF and watch their economies collapse. Someone may chime in and regale us with their vast industrial might, and I'm sure I could be doing better, but LF is just a tougher road to travel.

Great Britain getting a LF government in is usually great for everyone else in the world. They stop subsidising their MASSIVE fabric and regular clothes factories. On a serious note LF isn't completely bad, the increased throughput is certainly a boon to a profitable and devoloped industry, so mainly the GPs. That been said you will want a different government in from time to time to destroy/reopen some industries. Loading a game while you have LF with the odd effects on the economy on reload can sometimes be rather destructive to your industry.