+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advantages of Laissez-faire

Advantages of Laissez-faire

I've just begun to play V2, and as of yet I don't understand the appeal of laissez-faire economics. It seems to be to your advantage to be able to direct the building of factories, rather than having your hands tied by the whims of capitalists.

Am I right or am I way off base?

actually laissez faire is where only capitalists control the economy.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by grievous5226 View Post
    actually laissez faire is where only capitalists control the economy.
    Yeah that's what he's concerned with.

The only advantage that I know of is that L-F increases your overall factory (and RGO?) production. This would net you more tax revenue, while increasing your Capitalists' savings (if you already have a factory base).
    1 Bureaucrat
    Nationality: Anglo-Canadian
    Religion: Theravada
    Ideology: Liberal
    Issues: Free Tree/Pluralism
    Cash Reserve: 0.00
    Revoltrisk: 0.00%
    Militancy: 0 (0.00)
    Consciousness: 10 (0.00)

There are certain production bonuses I believe and it frees up your budget (and mouse/keyboard) to take care of the military, etc rather than building railroads or subsidizing factories. At the moment though LF seems to be FUBAR because, from what I've seen, capitalists never seem to reopen or destroy factories...

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nominally, there are production advantages, I believe. Frankly, I think there are few people who choose it.

Look at IND scores from various countries and it is very tough to get close to them with a comparable country while using a LF economic policy. In fact, its far more common to hear of people with very good scores who switch to LF and watch their economies collapse. Someone may chime in and regale us with their vast industrial might, and I'm sure I could be doing better, but LF is just a tougher road to travel.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis

Great Britain getting a LF government in is usually great for everyone else in the world. They stop subsidising their MASSIVE fabric and regular clothes factories. On a serious note LF isn't completely bad, the increased throughput is certainly a boon to a profitable and devoloped industry, so mainly the GPs. That been said you will want a different government in from time to time to destroy/reopen some industries. Loading a game while you have LF with the odd effects on the economy on reload can sometimes be rather destructive to your industry.

+ Reply to Thread