• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One thing I will say is that ships do diddly squat to raise military score. Doesn't matter if you have 200 dreadnaughts, they do nothing.

a big thread about this topic exists somewhere....

in 1.2 i think the determined that it's mostly soldier pops, technology level, and now to a lesser extent leaders. maybe man o wars??? i forget. but available soldier pops is a huge factor, so to answer your question, gain as much population as you can i gesss,

Soldier pops, capital ships (thus dreadnaughts do increase MIL score, cruisers do not), and techs that give + attack or defense.

Essentially, you need population that you can turn into soldiers.

Soldier pops, capital ships (thus dreadnaughts do increase MIL score, cruisers do not), and techs that give + attack or defense.
As I posted above, ships do diddly squat to increase MIL score. As of 1.2, anyway.

One thing I will say is that ships do diddly squat to raise military score. Doesn't matter if you have 200 dreadnaughts, they do nothing.

This is definitely not true. The opposite is right. Dreadnoughts increase mil. score by 20.

As has been said already ships do help, but Men-o-War contribute so little (I think it's 8 per point of military rating) that unless you're extremely rich it won't be worth building them.

The key is increasing the size of your soldier POPs. This requires high military spending (to induce POPs to promote) and ensuring you always have built at least 60% of your total number of potential brigades. Any fewer and the rate that soldier POPs are created will be slowed down.

Use your national focus in your most populous province to encourage soldiers - this will both boost their promotion rate and stop any demoting.

If your population is extremely small, then conquering some more populous states to turn their population into soldiers may well be a viable tactic.

This is definitely not true. The opposite is right. Dreadnoughts increase mil. score by 20.
Never tried it with Dreadnaughts, Man of wars do nothing at all so I assumed that was true of all capital ships. Seems weird to me.

Never tried it with Dreadnaughts, Man of wars do nothing at all so I assumed that was true of all capital ships. Seems weird to me.
The linked thread goes into more detail. Most capital ships give Mil score, AFAIK. Dreadnaughts give a whopping 20 each.

Regarding the question, the best way to get Mil as an unciv is to optimise leadership for leaders, and get as many soldier POPs as possible (tax your poor POPs to get them to demote to soldiers).