• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 15: The Invasion of England, part 1

By the end of the Battle of Ireland, our investment in Aircraft Carriers had really begun to pay off. Our carriers alone, without counting the rest of the navy, had sunk 35 ships by July 14, 1943.

19430714AquilaII.jpg
19430714Aquila.jpg
19430714Europa.jpg
19430714Falco.jpg
19430714Sparviero.jpg

Throughout July, we had a number of engagements at sea with the British, and the Americans were attempting to take the Canary Islands.

19430720NavalCapeFinisterre.jpg
19430723attackedinCanary.jpg
19430724NavalChannelApproach.jpg
19430726NavalBattleBristol.jpg

Seeing the sheer numbers of Allied forces lost at the Donegal, Marshall Ricagno moved up his invasion of England. Instead of multiple precision landings at ports throughout England, like the Spanish invasion, which would have taken at least two more weeks to plan and organize, Ricagno ordered immediate invasions at the Ports of Plymouth and Pembroke by the 1st Expeditionary Army. The landing at Pembroke would be tasked with taking Cardiff, which it did (aided by a paratroop division), and was subsequently reinforced by the rest of the 1st E.A.

19430725InitialBeachheads.jpg
194307261stparatroopmission.jpg

The landing at Plymouth consisted of a force of Marines who would make their way east.

While conducting these landings, our Regia Aeronautica was being handed its head by the Royal Air Force. Our losses culminated with the loss of the air battle over Cardiff, as our troops fought over the Welsh capital.

19430726AirBattleGloucester.jpg
19430728AirLossCardiff.jpg

Cardiff capitulated on August 1st, costing us almost 900 soldiers, but these losses were manageable, considering that the British lost almost 3 times as many troops.

19430801Cardiff.jpg

On the same day as the victory at Cardiff, we engaged the American fleet in Bristol Channel, but we were more than capable of holding off this small American fleet, sinking three US carriers, the Hornet, the Ranger, and the Intrepid.

19430801BristonChannel.jpg
19430802BristolChannelwin.jpg

Our troops quickly moved east, winning battles at Exeter and Monmouth on August 4, and a win at Taunton on August 6.

19430804Exeter.jpg
19430804Monmouth.jpg
19430806Taunton.jpg

A week and a half into our invasion of England, we were steadily expanding our beachheads, but preparing for a tough fight as we went further east.

19430804nearCardiff.jpg

Way to exploit an opportunity! I have always favored taking advantage of the AI when its pants were down. All the time taken for planning would have allowed the AI to balance its forces. You now have them off-balance; press the advantage!! Nice to see this AAR hasn't died. KUTGW!

mankle30, you're far too good at this game, what date did you start at? I'm currently in a 1939 game with Italy, you've inspired me somewhat, I'm going to now take Yugoslavia and the Balkans as you did! Though I dont think im good enough for a war with Britain, France, Russia and Spain

This game and these threads are great. As soon as you think you have figured things out, you realize you are doing everything wrong. Great AAR. One thing I can say for sure, your alternate history would have made the women of Ireland very happy.

Sorry to see this AAR appears to be dead; thought it was going very well, and if you do revive it, I am one eager follower!

Thanks to all for the encouragement . . . Things have been very busy here, and I haven't played HOI3 at all in the last few months. I'll try to finish this AAR up in the next couple of weeks for all of you keeping track!

A message from the grave....always a welcomed sound!