• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A great AAR, this one! Go the Pope!

How do you plan to get to Avignon though? Military Access through France?

Fookison: Welcome to the madhouse :)
JDMS: Cheers. He can't say he didn't see it coming though!
Ashantai: Cheers! I recieved Military Access from France in early 1400's to flank the armies of Savoy and Genoa but after a sudden turn of events I didn't need it so I've kept that treaty just in case I'd dare to go up against Avignon, who are guaranteed by the large blue blob!
Fireaxe888 & Boris: An update and a map will be posted later tonight!
Memento: Oh, if only. They were forced to annul their treaties with me in a war where they helped an alliance member.. Some time has passed since that update and they are severely weakened now (yes, even more than normal). So I'm considering waiting for them to be annexed, conquer Greece and Turkey and then release Byzantium as a vassal, just for the awesomeness of it.

Chapter V.I - Deus mihi sol

Plaza di San Pietro, 14th of November 1416

Piranesi_Piazza_San_Pietro.gif

Before the beginning there was silence.

There was no song. No whisper. There were no hues of blues and greens, no blends of color, no child’s laughter and no aromas, no yellow flowers, no buzzing black bumble bees, not even red sky at dawn. There was no fire and there were no rhythms. There was no work, no ice cold drink on a hot day, no flow to the center, no far and no near, for there was nothing to be measured. There was no structure, no system, no birth and no moonlight dancing on the evening tide. There was no bitter and no sweet and there was no breeze on the face. There was no texture, no form and no early morning fog.
The darkness was not black for there was no color.​

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nomine Patris, Filii, et Spiritus Sancti I welcome you, brothers and sisters who have gathered here in the Piazza di San Pietro. You, proud citizens of the Papal State, I thank you for loving, I thank you for understanding, I thank you for having faith in me and our God. I also wish you to be wary of what's about to happen. Be careful with whom you talk to and be careful with what you do at night for there are enemy spies amongst you at this very second, watching you and trying to find out everything they can about us. . And to those spies I have a message you can bring home to your heretical leaders;
The College of Cardinals has come to a decision regarding the future of the conflict between the Papal State and the Theocratic nation of Avignon. We will attack, conquer, and annex those filthy pretenders. We, are the true nation under God, and we will not allow anyone to declare themselves equal to us. We, are above. We are the Papal States.

Arrows will pierce armor... Swords will cut flesh... Walls will fall to smithereens and armies will be crushed.
But NOT, in the province of Rome. NOT, in the province of Ancona. NOT, in the province of Ferrara, Pisa or Romagna.

Our nation will stand above all and the land of the Papal State will shine. Glorious and prosperous under the sun, for God, is my sun. Deus Mihi Sol. Amen.

-Benedictus XIII

War was declared on that day on the Plaza di San Pietro. After the speech, Benedictus XIII took the boats to southern France, where the French King honoured his promise to the Papal State to allow them military access. They also showed their respect in staying neutral in the war. Something Benedictus XIII counted on because staying neutral basically meant favouring Papal State.

bild1du.png

The battle of Avignon was swift and merciless. Nine thousand Papal troops stormed and slaughtered the one thousand Avignonian defenders whos leader wasn't even in the battle, but who cowered up in his palace, still counting on the French to join late in the war.

bild2slaget.png

The siege of Avignon took 491 days. Benedictus had no rush as he spent the time in the French Palace, discussing politics and an eventual alliance with the French King Charles VI Valois.

bild3siegeover.png

bild4avignonannexed.png

bild5missioncompleted.png

An alliance was not signed, instead the Pope left with Avignon, and a troubled mind.

Chapter V.II - Lux mundi

Next, the pope turned his eyes upon Abruzzi and the poor people who have been persecuted because of their Umbrian culture and for having a couple of representatives in Rome during Benedictus XIII’s speech in November -16. The Visconte of Abruzzi, Luciano De Luca has already been beheaded, something that angered both the Papal State and their vassal, Modena, who’s Duke was a cousin of the Visconte of Abruzzi

bild6conquerabruzzi.png

War was declared, 4th of August 1418 against Naples and their allies of Mantua, Genoa and Aquileia

bild8warstatus.png

The battle of Abruzzi was as swift and merciless as the battle of Avignon, the difference this time was that the leader of the Papal 1st Army – Armata di Rome wasn’t the Pope, he was called to a meeting with representatives from Burgundy, Castille and England to discuss the kingdom of France and its rapid expansion through annexing vassals and conquering eastern land.

bild9battleofabruzzi.png

Instead, the old veteran Leo Isonzo was in charge. He was not the best leader on the field, but he often served as a strategic advisor to the Pope and he was one of the generals who lobbied for a more quantitative army if to expand north.

bild9siegeofabruzzi.png

While the Napolian army was trying to re-conquer the now Papal fortification of Abruzzi, Leo Isonzo sent his army west to the capital of Naples to conquer it and to force Louis III de Valois-Anjou to cede Abruzzi to the Papal State through an “offer he can’t refuse” (read: death threat). Thankfully, for Louis III, he was reasonable and ceded Abruzzi while annulling his treaties with Siena and Mantua, also paying 25 ducats for reparations. The money went to improve the living standards for the Umbrian people of Abruzzi, as a compensation for their earlier prosecution.

bild11peaceoffernaples.png

bild12missioncomplete.png

In the north, the 2nd Papal Army – Armata di Romagna moved in and took the city of Mantua under their charge. The country of Mantua was small, poor and was just unlucky in choosing their allies. The man in charge of Armata di Romagna, Angelo Conti was a reasonable man and he knew the Pope would’ve understood so he let Mantua write a letter of concede, acknowledging the power of the Papal State, and then to send it to Naples, Genoa and Aquileia.

bild10siegeofmantua.png

mantua.png

With the Pope still away, the College of Cardinals decided that the next move would be to vassalize Siena, a country which were allowed to be formed thanks to the Papal protection from Milan during the Sienan Revolution in 1412 and whos nation belonged under the Papal arm.

bild13vassalizesiena.png

bild14vassalizesiena.png

In July 9th 1420, the Pope was back in Rome with good news. A strong alliance has been formed between Castille, England, Burgundy and Papal State.

bild16allianser.png

bild15allianser.png

This caused the alliance of Aquileia and Genoa to propose a white peace treaty, something a tired pope accepted and signed before turning to his two generals, smiling "I guess we've become Lux Mundi (The light of the world)... Then proceeding to bed after a long, long journey.

bild17peacegenoa.png

Last edited:
Very well done so far!! Interesting how things have been falling in place for you which enables you to set up a good base in the homeland and a good start for World domination!!!!!:D

Well done! You've had some nice missions there, and I'm especially pleased with your victory over Naples. You've made some nice gains.

I see that the Holly See is becoming stronger :D

And if anybody [read: a Lutheresque character during the reformation] accuses you of being too voilent, just quote the gospel of Matthiew: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." ;)

Great job. You're expanding well. Did you write the passage at the very beginning of the update? It was very good. :)

Fookison: Yeah, I wanted to take it slowly and establish a somewhat stable core before expanding mad. :D
Ashantai: Thanks! Yeah, I'm having a great luck in missions, as you will see later on in the AAR too!
Memento: It is indeed, and hopefully it will become the strongest! Reformation? I will have no such thing! I'll surpress the reformation and protestantism until the end of the game! *roars*
JDMS: Thanks, I didn't write the first part, only the speech after. The first part is from a psalm. "God the Creator"

I've seriously learned more about the Holy See, Vatican and Catholicism during this AAR than I ever did in school...

Chapter VI - Dulce bellum inexpertis

16th of January - 1426

The battle is finally over. We prevailed, but we can't take the fortress ourselves, nor can we rest yet; we must march towards Avignon to aid our defenders there. Rumours is that the French are about 15'000 strong men surrounding the city. The messenger arrived a couple of days ago, announcing the attack and he was lucky to survive all the way here I must say, with all the cavalry regiments scouting the area for spies and messengers...
He told us about a large French army marching upon the city with both cavalry, bowyers and Latin infantry... I wonder if this really was the right thing to do as I fear for my own and my comrades lives... I do not question the Pope's judgement in allies, or his choice of actions but it feels like France is the last enemy we would want. Especially since we have the fortress of Avignon in the middle of southern France. I'm happy I'm not a citizen there...
Anyway, I'm feeling good but tired, Benedictus XIII is leading the army now, I'm only accompanying him on his own request as a strategic advisor. It's good experience, but it's scary leading such a large army as ours. Fourteen thousand... If only my family could see me!
Benedictus is getting old, the poor man. But on the battlefield... man, he's as agile as anyone. Maybe that's what scared the defenders away here in Languedoc yesterday.. Either that or the fact that we were ten thousand more than them.

I need to get some rest now if I want to keep my mind sharp for tomorrow, for then we travel to the city of Avignon to defend it. Divert, and defend, that's what the pope said when we entered the war. To help our allies in the west through defending ourselves. I'm sure that made sense somehow.

Oh, well, reinforcements arrived just now, need to greet them, seems like it will be another night with only a few hours of sleep... And my back hurts OW!
It's just like Pindaros said in Ancient Greece: Dulce bellum inexpertis - War is sweet for those who haven't experienced it.

Tomorrow, we ride for Avignon.

With love,

- Angelo Conti

The alliance of Papal State, Castille and England declared war upon the nation of France on the 25th of June, 1425 and Papal State, the most vulnerable of the nations received War Subsidies from their great ally of England, in addition to their contribution on the East front.

2krigmotfrankrike.png

3warsubs.png

Benedictus XIII, accompanied by Angelo Conti and the fourteen thousand strong army first marched in to Languedoc, where they literary scared away the four thousand defenders in a swift battle, where both sides suffered almost the same amount of casualties.

4battleoflanguedoc.png

Three days before the battle, a messenger from Avignon came, reporting that a large French army was marching upon the city and that it would be overrun unless it got support. The Pope didn't have to think long before he decided to spare the scattering and fleeing French small army and instead hurry to aid the city of Avignon.

5battleofavignon.png

The Papal army reached Avignon only some days after the French troops started their siege and the battle was a strategic victory for Papal State because even though the French mercenaries were better organized, they weren't expecting Benedictus to rally to the city's aid that fast. Benedictus was, as always, in the front of his troops, waving the Papal flag, while Angelo were in the back, making sure the different regiments stuck together so no flank would break.
Almost two hours into the battle, the French army pulled back and Benedictus yelled for his troops to follow to make sure no French soldier lives and it was in the moment he turned around to tell his troops to move, that the arrow hit him.

Emptiness... Darkness... There was nothing there, for nothing has yet to exist. One lap around the circle of life, from nothing, to nothing. He was one with it all, and yet he was empty. And then, light. Light shined stronger than ever, blended him, illuminated him, warmed him, and completed him. He had no regrets. He have done what he could to make the Papal State a prosperous state, and he is happy with his decisions. The war with France was sure to be won, and the future of the nation was by all means secured... It was going to be nice to finally get some rest.

5battleofavignon.png

Benedictus XII died on the 19th of March, 1426. Two hours after the fight was over.

15 days later the Papal Conclave selected a new Pope, one that was going to end the war with France, and one that was going to make the Papal State more powerful than any of the previous Popes could have hoped.

Urbanus VII, born Giovanni Battista Castagna. Known for his excommunications, tactical skill in wars, and national policies.

He had previously served as governor of Bologna and as archbishop of Rossano, and was for many years nuncio to Castille; his election to the papacy was largely backed by the Castillian faction.

Urban_VII.jpg

7urbanusvii.png
6newpope.png

The war continued, and numerous attempts to overrun the city of Avignon was made but with Angelo Conti and Urbanus VII as leaders, the French were destined to fail.

8battleofavignon2.png

Finally, in early September 1426, the Papal State were allowed to leave the war, their ally has got the advantage in the East that they need, and France needed to withdraw from the West. A white peace treaty was signed on the 10th of Sep. 1426

9whitepeace.png

Seven months later, Papal State got another call to arms, a defensive one, from England. Aragon has declared war without any reason, and Urbanus VII was a man of words, he would honour the alliance, and move his army East, towards the Iberian Peninsula, for some fighting, as the Englishmen was still fighting off French troops in Bordeaux.

10calltoarms.png

The main thing that differed him with Benedictus XIII was the fact that he wanted to control the right wing, while he let Angelo control the left wing during battle. This would create a better organisation as they could move their flanks more freely and neither one of them really risked their life in the front. Urbanus knew, that it would be an incredible shock to the Papal State if two Popes fall in two war after each other.
The tactic payed off and they inflicted heavy number of casualties on their enemy while keeping their own to a minimum.

11battleofrousillon.png

12battleofgirona.png

14battleofaragn.png

With the Aragonian armies scattered the sieges in the north-east went easy as the fortresses had low morale.

13siegeofroussillon.png

17sieges.png

18siege.png

Urbanus was a man who wanted to expand heavily and he wanted nothing more than to incorporate Avignon into the mainland of the Papal State, therefore, he happily agreed to the peace offer from Aragon as this meant having both a French province, and an Iberian one. Now he could let his experts falsify some documents with claims on nearby provinces, conquer them, and when he's finished in Italy, rule the northern part of the Mediterranean Sea.

19peaceofferaragon.png

Yes, he was a madman.

Nice work. Looks like the newest Pope's reign is going to be one filled with conquest.

Excellent post! It seems as though the new Pope has turned away from the 'Thou shalt not kill' commandment in a big way! Very interested to see where his madness leads him.

So now the Pope orders his experts to bear false witness, in order to allow his army to do some more killing, as he covets his neighbours land and thus wants to steal it?

4/10 isn't such a big deal after all :D

Last edited:
Chapter VII - Aliquando et insanire iucundum est

28th of May - 1433

Heh, I'm 50 years old, 30 years in the army, 22 years as an officer, and I still get goosebumps when I hear the war-cry of my army before every training session... Aren't I pathetic?
I'm not sure I'm happy with the way this country is turning out... Before his holiness Urbanus VII was elected, we were smaller, yes, but our reputation was honourable, we were very trustworthy, and we had no real enemies to fear. Nowadays we are having not only more often military training, but harder training as well and it makes me tired just to stand by the side, watching the troops.

Lately we've gained control over the Holy See, and His Holiness has already planned on excommunicating the king of Naples and Aragon to satisfy his lust for conquest. I don't know how to react anymore heh, with our allies and our war capacity I shouldn't fear for nor any Italian nation, nor any Iberian, yet I fear for my own...

All I can do is sigh, go to bed, and wake up tomorrow to drill my soldiers a little harder and hope that they all will survive the year.

With love,

- Angelo Conti

Indeed, the pope was longing for conquest so he, immediately after gaining control over the Holy See, excommunicated the ruler of Naples and Aragon. With England's consent, but without Castille's. The nation of Castille was not late to reply to the excommunications by threatening to dishonour their alliance with both the Papal State and England if they both join forces against either of the excommunicated king's nations.

1excommunication.png
2excommunication.png

England, who was the superior naval nation and Papal State, who had both better drilled soldiers, and better economy (after Castille's long Holy Wars against northern Africa) didn't care much whether or not Castille joined in or not. The Papal State, had long since the alliance proposal switched ruler, and so had England and their old ties with Castille were no longer important. Once upon a time they drew sword together, but not this time.

Every nation for itself, as Henry VI O'Neill of England said.

In 1434, Urbanus VII proposed to the duke of Modena to hand over his land to the Papal State who could provide more protection, higher welfare status, and, of course, some money for the Duke's pocket. Something he couldn't refuse. They had the "legitimate" paper signed where the Duke acknowledges the land as a rightful part of the Papal State in Italy.

3incorporatemodena.png

4modenaaccepts.png

5modenacore.png

6intergratingmodena.png

Then, in 1437, Urbanus VII suddenly disappeared along with one thousand men, one cardinal, five hundred ducats, and two goats while travelling on a ship from Girona. Where he went, nobody knows. There were no sights of a shipwreck, nor any signs of a Papal fleet diverting off course south towards Northern Africa. At least not according to the British sailors of Sardinia or the Genoese trading-fleet of Corsica.

Last time it was seen was on the 10th of November from a Catalonian cog in the Balearic Sea and rumours is that he started up a Theocratic nation in Africa. How he's going to do that with one thousand men and two goats, I do not even dare to speculate.

The Conclave was left with no other option than to select a new Pope, and they chose no-one but Urbanus VIII. Urbanus VIII was, Urbanus VII, scholar many years ago and he resembled the former Urbanus both in his manners, and in his ambitions. He was a well trained prototype of the Catholic Church and the power-freak Urbanus VII. A very frightening prototype.

7newpope.png

Upon his election, Zeno, the Venetian envoy, wrote the following description of him:

The new Pontiff is 56 years old. He came out of the conclave in bad health owing to the pestilential atmosphere and the bodily disorders caused by the vehemence of the passions that affect cardinals in those assemblies, disabling some and killing others. His Holiness is tall, dark, with regular features and black hair turning grey. He is exceptionally elegant and refined in all details of his dress; has a graceful and aristocratic bearing and exquisite taste. He is an excellent speaker and debater, writes verses and patronises poets and men of letters.

150px-Bernini-Urban8.jpg

Conveniently for Henry VI, he and Urbanus VIII shared the same dream, a Catholic world and they agreed upon splitting Europe in half, giving Papal State southern Europe, coast around Mediterranean Sea, Greek Peninsula and Turkey while England gets Northern Europe, Scandinavia and land as far as to Muscovy.

They both declared war upon Naples with it's alliance of Mantua, Aquileia and Venice assisting them on the 23rd of Feb, 1438

8englandhonouralliance.png

Castille, not surprisingly, dishonoured their alliance and was, by taking that course of action, now a threat to the Catholic alliance of England and Papal State.

9castilledishonoursalli.png

The battle of Modena went swift. The Modenian army was overrun, the country quickly sieged, and the King quickly succumbed to Urbanus VIII's wish...

10battleofmantua.png

12mantuapeaceoffer.png

Naples wasn't able to stand fast against the Papal and English forces and got their whole nation sieged. Papal State took Apulia and Calabria, while England occupied Napoli and Epirus. They agree'd on letting Papal State take two of Naple's province while releasing Epirus as a sovereign state under the house of O'Neill of England, as well as ceding their treasury to the Papal State.

This was important gains in southern Italy as it gave the Papal State more land to rule over, more men to recruit to the army and it gave them the opportunity to seize Sicily, while having Naples reduced to an OPM. At the same time, Epirus is now a loyal ally who will aid the Papal State in wars, and vice versa. Urbanus VIII saw it as a great opportunity for warfare against the Turks, as well as Candar, who, for some reason has conquered southern Greece. They also gained gold, whom they split with England and spent it on building Temples while now resting their eyes upon France once more...

13naplespeaceoffer.png

Neither Aquileia nor Venice could do anything against this because Aquileia was busy fighting of Hungarian rebels and Venice was currently in a war with Milan so a white peace was signed in November - 1439.

"Haha, Aliquando et insanire iucundum est!" Said Urbanus happily while serving some more wine to Henry VI

"I'm shorry? I'm afraid my Latin knowledge doeshn't stretch far enough to understand your shaying. With the risk of sounding impolite, which I sincerely apologize for, can you pleashe translate to English?" - Henry VI said, a little drunk, but very interested.

"Of course, my friend, and mighty ally. *chuckle* I was merely saying that it is sometimes pleasant even to act like a madman" - Urbanus VIII replied.

"Hahaha, Indeed. Magno cum gaudio, my dear Pope... Magno cum gaudio " - Henry VI said, before passing out.

Author's Note: I was a little short of pictures for this update, you must excuse me for that. Also, I apologize for the short and kind of confusing update but it will all make perfect sense in the next (super) epic double-issue tomorrow. Please, bare with me.

-Adam

So did you declare war on France?