+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have 1 major problem with this game...

Field Marshal
    57 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries

I have 1 major problem with this game...

Playing all day, getting the hang of this game. BUT I have one major problem...

On any map, you get at least a direction for North...

My units keep getting lost and going off in the wrong direction. Where is the enemy? Where is the Front?... I've tried 3 or 4 times now, and I keep heading off too far to the left, or too far to the right...

If I had a proper map, and a NORTH, then I would know... the enemy are off to the East, or the West... etc etc.

And when I move forward towards the enemy, and leave my square, the enemy quickly retake the territory I just left... so am I supposed to leave someone behind to "mind" it?

Need advice please?

Hi
    This game can be very frustrating because it lacks some very basic and fundamental user interface design features that would make the game less of a chore to play.
    The way you interact/orientate the 3D game map and it's relation to the minimap in the top left corner and the map overly is one of the many areas of this games interface that you just have to ask "what were they thinking?" Apparently placing a North arrow on the map seemed either too crazy an idea or maybe just too much work.

I suggest you lock the orientation of the minimap in the top left of the screen so that it always points north. You do this in the "Game and Realism Settings" screen, enable "Classic" Map mode. I think this might help you.

Field Marshal
    57 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
    Hi
    This game can be very frustrating because it lacks some very basic and fundamental user interface design features that would make the game less of a chore to play.
    The way you interact/orientate the 3D game map and it's relation to the minimap in the top left corner and the map overly is one of the many areas of this games interface that you just have to ask "what were they thinking?" Apparently placing a North arrow on the map seemed either too crazy an idea or maybe just too much work.

I suggest you lock the orientation of the minimap in the top left of the screen so that it always points north. You do this in the "Game and Realism Settings" screen, enable "Classic" Map mode. I think this might help you.
    Very good advice Bullman, THANKS very much.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

There is a small red arrow on the mini map, indicating north. Also you can press 5 on num keyboard to rotate your view to north, which is very useful when looking at the map.

Guys

I think you will find the geographical objectives shown by the flags are very much in keeping with the tactical doctrine of the time. In many cases intelligence was pretty poor. If you look at the sweeping battles in the east you cannot just assume the enemy is to the east or whatever.

Doctrine says - find, fix strike. Look at it that way and you will have more success. Keep a balanced force and employ recce towards your objectives. Be prepared once you locate the enemy to adapt your plan and organization.

The enemy could be in your rear, yes :-) or to your left or right.

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good advice guy.
    Knowledge is my weapon and God my ally!

+ Reply to Thread