• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Elias Tarfarius

Damnation Incarnate
82 Badges
Nov 13, 2001
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Whats the best research path for Western state or a non- western after its become civilized. I always sorta going all over the board, reacting to what techs I need at the time (usually mostly military or industrial). Yet, the AI of the main European states always seem to get all the techs by the end of the game. Can I keep up with them or should I just keep the edge in certain areas and leave the rest for whenever?

yeah, mostly you need to focus. At the same time, you're right. Go after what you need ;) It is a good idea to plan ahead sometimes though. I usually don't start on any research between 1865-1870, because then the techs that come in 1870 will get done superfast, usually. (because tech points get saved, thank god!)
That way I can, say, colonize Africa (because of Machine Gun) a few years before the rest, because they start on the tech in 1870 or later, while mine starts in 1870 but get's done within days. Of course that depends on how the tech before ends (if it ends in '64, I might start another tech that ends in '67, thus I only save points for 3 years..)

Yeah, people do this thing with saving up RPs, but it only would make sense to do when you're one level away from the techs that are going to get researched and when all the other techs would give too marginal of a benefit to be researched now. Keep in mind that you are also missing out on any benefits to other that you could have finished during the time that you're "saving up" (tech improving Industry, Prestige, RP accumulation, etc), so it's not always a perfect strategy.

For civilized (assuming most tree's start with 5/30), I usually follow the following:
Ideological thought (for those pluralities, will speed up getting the other tech very well)
Medicine (I'm not very democratic, so social benefits take a while this will patch lack people well, and attrition is the big killer of armies anyways, so higher supply limit wins over most army tech too...) OR, if it's already 1840, this comes third after
Idealism (for the 50% research and some prestige)
After the research is taken care of, I usually go to get those industrial ones,
Mechanical Production and Clean Coal on top.
Alternatively if military situation looks desperate,
Light armaments and Army Leadership
I ignore commerce tech, probably too much really, but just go with the 'research speed first' then the other needs, and you can get along quite well...

I'd say for tech strategy, make sure to always research the research boosting ones as soon as possible; count how much RP you'll need and save up that much so that you can get them at the instant they become available. This'll maximize the time you can research at top speed, and give you a very high chance of netting 100's of prestige points thanks to being at least a year ahead of anyone else at researching them. Plurality-increasing ones, especially Ideological Thought and State & Government are good for boosting research speed too, though they affect other parts of your society in ways you don't already want. Apart from that, it depends on what your nation needs. Medicine increases your pop growth which means that the earlier you get it, the bigger the benefit in terms of population. Also, Freedom of Trade should usually be your first tech if playing a nation which doesn't start with it. In that case, I usually start with FoT, then save RP until 1840 and instantly research Idealism.

EDIT: On general strategy, apart from that, it depends on how you play. If you plan to fight a lot of wars, you should really prioritize military techs since they make a huge difference, especially early tactics techs and the attack/defense ones (the two to the left). If you plan to emphasize economy though, I'd spread research more evenly in, get as many techs as possible since there's no real killer ones in the same way as with military tech, you'll get more of an edge (generally) from having many industrial and commercial techs research instead of spiking ahead in one field. Culture on the other hand is more like military, you'll want to get specific techs (the ones with prestige point inventions) ahead of everyone else to really reap the benefits, so prestige strategy means specializing in culture tech. If you have a cultural or military strategy, it usually makes sense to pick the research school that benefits it.

For unciv, education efficiency, extra NF and extra RP tech is the most important tech. Even more important than industrial tech. I usually prefer to get all philosophical and education efficiency tech before taking any industrial tech. Military tech and naval tech are not that important too, when your civilised, if you can get some protection form a GP.