+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev Diary 2 - Barons and Settlements

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderPrimus View Post
    Yes, please! That would be incredibly helpful. Even if it's just for the player's dynasty. Sorely needed, imho.
    I would love Doomdark long time if we got family trees..
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    6) Will a character maintain a "history of titles" file or will all titles be erased from a character upon their death like in CK1? (This is very frustrating when you want to look into the family genealogy say 70 years ago when your great-great-grandfather was a measly baron who happened to marry the daughter of his liege, and their daugther was married to the Duke of X etc.)
    Good idea...which also brings to mind: a history of titles, as in a chronological list of office holders.

It's not too difficult to string together your own dynasty's rulers, and calculate their lifetime and reign. But it would be a royal pain to keep track of AI kingdoms... either in-game, or for a post-game AAR wrap-up.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    4) Will there be family trees in the game, making it easier to hold an overview of hte dynasty?
    This! Pretty, pretty, pretty please!
    That would be seriously awesome...
    "Hic iacet inclitus Godefridus De Bulion qui totam istam terram acquisivit cultui Christiano, cuius anima cum Christo requiescat. Amen."
    -- Alleged inscription on the tomb of Godfrey of Bouillon, Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    If there is a family tree then I hope it has this feature like in Windows Explorer where there are mini-arrows at the side, by clicking these you can expand or collapse a section.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    I hope this isn't too stupid a question but here goes :

can a baron of a settlement in a given province owned by Count A pledge his allegiance to Count B... or is he entitled to keep his allegiance to the owner of the province he's in ?
    I'd like to know this too, if settlements are the smallest constituent units of territory.

It would be awesome if a baron could defect from one count to another, but the amateur game developer in me has the gut-feeling that letting borders between counties be fluid like that would open a Pandora's box of additional complexity.

Another thing I'd like to know is, will there be special actions available for you if you are an officeholder of your liege? For example, getting to control his army as his marshal?
    So.. digital distribution equals communism?
    I disagree SO MUCH that I have to close this thread now.
    -Kallocain

Victoria 2 Realism & Rebalance Project 2010-2014, Requiescat in Pace

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by KonradRichtmark View Post
    It would be awesome if a baron could defect from one count to another, but the amateur game developer in me has the gut-feeling that letting borders between counties be fluid like that would open a Pandora's box of additional complexity.
    This could be done by percentage and then there would be this fluid process of a province possibly gradually change its dependence.

First Lieutenant VenetianPriest's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Unlike with last month's, this month's Dev Diary didn't provide a clue about the topic of December's diary, which will be our Christmas gift from Doomdark.

Last edited by VenetianPriest; 21-11-2010 at 22:14.
    Igitur ecclesiae unius et unicae unum corpus, unum caput, non duo capita, quasi monstrum.

Did anyone ever answer the question about what would happen if a peasant rebellion was successful, since there was no power structure that represented their interests? Does it simply become a province/settlement "in rebellion"? I suppose it makes sense in historical context.
    Last edited by Brent Fisher; 22-11-2010 at 20:19.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Fisher View Post
    Did anyone ever answer the question about what would happen if a peasant rebellion was successful, since there was no power structure that represented their interests? Does it simply become a province/settlement "in rebellion"? I suppose it makes sense in historical context.
    This. Will they form Peaseant Republics? Will the pronvinces just revolt? Will some other nobleman take the reins? Will they try to enforce their interests?
    ...A flower of iron, a flower of death, beautiful, unbendable and deadly.

So first you announce Crusader Kings 2, then a game with Crusader Kings elements set in feudal Japan. Why not just go the whole hog and give away a rock of Paradox brand crack with every pre order?
    -Philios82

Can a baron be independient (no liege) ?

200k clubA Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Pirates of Black CoveEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms event
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by besaccia View Post
    Can a baron be independient (no liege) ?
    I don't see why not. Everyone else can be independent, and you can't have baron level rebellions without independent barons.

Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B II View Post
    How will a Baron's CoA be determined?

In CK1 the Counties were static so it was easy to just assign all of them a bmp. In CK2 entirely new Baronies will be created during the game. Will there by dynastic arms (ie: all Capet Barons use Azure a semy of fleur de lis or), will all possible Baronies be named and given a CoA in the game-files, or will they be determined algorithmically?
    That's a good question, IMHO, and, since no-one answered, I try to bring it again to the surface.

1) <<Will there by dynastic arms (ie: all Capet Barons use Azure a semy of fleur de lis or), will all possible Baronies be named and given a CoA in the game-files, or will they be determined algorithmically? >>

Given the fact that that new CKII seems to be more dinasty-oriented than State-oriented, I think that dynastic arms would be more appropriate ; hopefully, dynastic CoA should evolve following the ruler's titles and claims. Also, the idea of combining dynastic arms with the "flag" of a territory by a layer system could give an immediate, graphical, idea of what dynasty is in charge in a given territory.

2) In this case could a new ruler chose "his own" CoA (like, choose between three or four, algorithmically-created, possible CoA?)

This question leads me to others, related to the player's choice and the gameplay at large :

3) Will it be possible to choose the "capital city" of his realm (or at least the city where the ruler resides)?
    In CKII the "capital city" was determined by proximity with the supposed "historical capital" (not always accurate) of the "main realm". This sounds quite unreal in some case. During a game, my faithful wife and (un)faithful Duchess of Barcelona was repelled out of Spain by a villain moorish counter-offensive. She held the island of Menorca though, and the rich and prosperous county of Trapani in Sicily (of which she was countess in the first place). The "capital" of the Duchy, where the CoA of my dear beloved was, was automatically set in Menorca ; personnally, I have some problems figuring my aging, cultivated, adorable German Catholic wife choosing to live in a minuscule, ill-protected, island of muslim misbeleivers, instead of going back to her "civilized", rich and well-guarded county of Trapani.

4) Can we chose our "main title", the one who will be displayed on our CoA (in case this one won't be dynastic) and who will determine the colour of our armies'flags?
    This time again, I will report a gaming experience to clarify the problem. The founder of my dinasty was a humble Count of Corsica, and, in three generations'space I had conquered Sardinia (and hence Duchy of Sardinia), Sicily and a huge part of Southern Italy (and inherited of a county in England too - can't remember which one) - so that I could eventually create the title of King of Sicily.
    Helping an ally at war, without almost wanting it, I found myself King of - if I remember correctly - Burgundy, but controlling just a single territory in that kingdom.
    At any rate, the increased prestige of being a King allowed me to finally create the title of King of Sicily.
    Unfortunately, my capital city, my CoA, the reddish color of all my armies, continued telling me that I was in the first place "King of Burgundy" - quite silly, for a ruler who was of Italian culture, and who had just a territory in Burgundy while holding the tile of Duke of Sicily and Count of Palermo and Messina, and having the Duke of Apulia, of Calabria and of Salerno between my vassals.

5) Will you be given the possibility to choose your children's name (between a list of names, or - less likely - typing a new one), or will it be chosen automatically like in CKI ?

6) Will you be allowed to change the county's, province's or settlement's name during the game?
    That may be useful, for example, when conquering Muslim territories with distinctive Arab names - il would be nice to have the option to "rechristen" them giving more Christian names to them.

7) Will languages be implemented?
    I know that it will maybe be a mere "duplicate" of the "culture", but still, in a more role-play oriented game it would be nice to see, for example, if the Norman ruler of Puglia speaks just his Norman dialect, or Latin and his dialect, or if he abandoned Norman in order to adopt the language of the territory he controls.

And two, more personal, specific and less gameplay-related questions :

8) Will "Kingdom of Sicily" be emended, with the capital city moved to Palermo and not Naples (Naples will become capital only after 1372 - after a short-lived separation of the Kingdom of Sicily into two kingdoms - of Naples and of Sicily)?

9) Will there be a proper editor, or mods should be applied the old way, by fiddling with database files?

Ok, that's a lot of questions, but if Doomdark will answer even to , say, one or two, I'll be satisfied !
    Last edited by Xain; 23-11-2010 at 22:31.

Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderPrimus View Post
    Yes, please! That would be incredibly helpful. Even if it's just for the player's dynasty. Sorely needed, imho.
    Yes ! I WANT FAMILY TREES!!!!

...or the ruins of himself Mikon Orod's Avatar
    Deus VultVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Any idea (IE any comment from a dev I have not read) on how provinces and -above all- settlements will be named?

Will be cities, churches and castles historically-named, fantasy-named or simply unnamed?

If historically-named, this means each province will need a set of historical settlements defined in the DB: but, if we take into account, say, Kufa in Iraq, will this province require some fancy names for its baronies?

Or, if fantasy-named, a settlement will take its designation from a culture-tied list?

Or they will be just unnamed, or vaguely named?

...and all of this leads me to a more important question: will provinces be the same size they were in CK? Or provinces will represent entire regions, maybe entire duchies, as settlements now are the basic point of any demesne limit?

The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

The settlements will have names, that is stated in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark
    Instead, each province will have between one and eight named settlements. A settlement is either a castle, city or church, and characters can hold the title to a settlement just like they can to counties and duchies.
    How they will be named we don't know.

Hopefully a mixture of historical names where possible, and random names drawn from cultural or geographic lists when not. It doesn't particularly matter if names get doubled up on, as long as the eight within a county are different and as long as there's some variety.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an episode of Mr. Bean—forever.

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    The settlements will have names, that is stated in the first post.

How they will be named we don't know.
    Settlements have historical names of towns in the province.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    And when there were less than eight settlements in a province in real life...? Or is that where limits on individual provinces can come into play?

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an episode of Mr. Bean—forever.

Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Clearly I hope Wales will be drawn simularly to that of the DVIP Wales map. *please please* And If Doomdark would allow, I'd like to suggest the eight settlements in each of the 11 provinces I just want to be sure it gets a fair deal.
    Last edited by Drachenfire; 29-11-2010 at 09:54.

Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad
    True I am to my country

Damsels Not In Distress mode (allows female inheritance in CK I) & Crusader Queens, Cool-toxic's CK Clone
    Jordarkelf's DV Improvement Pack, Looking for a Good Starting County? Gwynedd FTW!
    Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality during the middle ages discussion thread.

...or the ruins of himself Mikon Orod's Avatar
    Deus VultVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Thank you very much for the input
    If I can ask more of your knowledge, CK2's provinces will be roughly of the same size when compared to CK's ones?
    [this is very important from a modder point of view ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast