SPF (18)36 - The Danish quest for the perfect tan
Welcome to another attempt of mine to understand Vicky2!
My AARs are gameplay/learning, as I don't have the time or skilz to write a narrative one, and my AARs have a habit of veering into 'learning mode' as I try to understand just how in blazes this game works - join me, won't you?
In my earlier AARs, I had largish, technologically challenged, non-European land powers (Mexico and Persia). So for my next country, I wanted to play a smallish, technologically advantaged, European naval power. I narrowed it down to Sweden or Denmark, and chose Denmark because (a) Tanzhang and Alfredian recommended it (thanks!), and (b) they are red and white
How could I say no when surrounded by this adoring throng of Danish Pops?
The Basic Idea
The basic idea in this AAR is that I'm going to try and get heavily into the Scramble for Africa, which I haven't touched in any of my games yet. I'm not ruling out other places entirely, but my main focus is going to be Africa, and maybe the Pacific. I'm going to try and avoid entanglements on the European mainland as much as possible - if I could saw Denmark off and pole it away from Europe I would! I'm imagining a Danish population in search of the perfect tan - <warning: bad pun ahead> manifest Danestiny. <see, I warned you!>
I'm using two mods this time - Alexspeed's Map Improvement Package (I love me them pretty graphics) and Chann's unofficial fix pack for 1.2 which, as the name implies, limits itself to fixing bugs - no major gameplay changes. Many thanks to the authors!
Sadly, these two mods conflict on some country files, so sayeth JSGME, when they conflicted I went with the fix pack .
And now, on with the show, this is it!
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - The initial situation
- (1836-1843) Chapter 2 - opening moves
- (1843-1850) Chapter 3: Small steps forwards, a big step backwards
- (1850-1870) Chapter 4: Preparing for the Scramble
- Chapter 5: the world in 1870
- (1870-1880) Chapter 6: African Adventures
- (1880-1890) Chapter 7: from Bullee to Bully
- (1890-1900) Chapter 8: The Gilded Age
- Chapter 9: 1900: The State of Things
- (1900-1910) Chapter 10: Africa, mostly...
- (1910-1920) Chapter 11: war upon war
- (1920-1930) Chapter 12: The Roaring 20's
- (1930-1936) Chapter 13: the end