• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(88697)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 10, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Goal: This informational AAR provides tips and strategies to developing small countries for both single and multi-player games.

What's Different? The HOI3 Small Country Guide is published in handy PDF format so it may be stored with your other documents.

This is a 35kb file, and takes about two (2) minutes for the average user to download. Get it here:

HOI3SmallCountryGuide

What's New?

Detailed discussions on annex vs. puppet, upgrade vs. build, and balance of trade.

A step-by-step guide to building industrial capacity.

New units such as anti-aircraft police, militia garrison, unconventional cavalry, and motorized HQ cavalry.

Strategies for force structuring and officer promotion.

Strategies for eastern Europe, southwest Asia, Middle East with proof of concept, western Europe and Mediterranean, east and southeast Asia, and Oceania.

Game Spec: HOI3 v1.4 at "Normal" difficulty. These are vanilla games and do not employ any mods or cheats (so strategies can be employed in multi-player). Saves were every six months. Run on AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4800+964MHz 1.00GB
RAM; XP Pro v2002 SP3.

Publication: Adobe Pagemaker v6.5 with Acrobat Distiller v1.1

Release Comments: My apologies for this guide arriving too late for V1.4. I've always been a bit behind the curve, trying to squeeze the last ounce of enjoyment out of every major release. It's a lot of work to develop new concepts and play-test them, the editing alone took ten days. Still, it's been worth it because for me this guide has unleashed the potential behind nearly every position. There is so much information contained within, I have to go back myself to review when faced with a new situation. I'll be moving on to Semper FI now, going to see what new challenges await. If you like what you see, give a shout out. It's not deadly important to keep this AAR alive, I'm sure the document will work its way around by other means.

Thanks again to Paradox for their outstanding work.

Valentinian.

Last edited:
Error 404: File Not Found
The requested page is not found. This may happen due to the following reasons:

Page or file is outdated, renamed, moved, or does not exist.
You typed the address incorrectly, like http://www.example.com/pgae.html instead of http://www.example.com/page.html
Please contact your webmaster if you are not sure what goes wrong.

I get this error when I click on the link.

Oh nice work. Good guide on how to play as a smaller nation...

Time to get back working on my Ireland going axis campaign... :D

You are welcome.

In HOI2, the minors were a lot of fun both in SP and MP. Hopefully, this guide will bring back a little of the same for HOI3.

Valentinian

"Pound them Harry, pound them!" (General "Bloody Bull" Allenby from the movie Lawrence of Arabia.)

Any idea when you might have something similar for SF? I've tried your strategies, but the build times/research times for the early going don't seem to sync up quite as well.

I'm glad you asked Mankle. I'm on the trailing edge here, so to speak, and have just begun working on SF.

There are many new features and unit combinations to explore, but I'm going to shoot for a New Years release. Hopefully by that time the latest patchs will make this the best HOI ever!
" Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. At Paradox, it is the spirit of the developers who follow and of the developer who leads that makes the game a success." George S. Patton, Cavalry Journal (September 1933) <Oh, I addded the part about Paradox :)>