• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your 3rd chapter!

It was interresting in the way you laid out your goals and how you intended to accieve them.
Besides that you do a good job in beeing as boring and uninterresting as possible to not get to be a target for anyone with a sane mind :D

Keep updating, just 2 more chapters for the contest needed :)

TheConqueror - exactly what I thought!

BootonFace - nearly? You don't want to know what happened when I was playing it.

Tommy4ever - The next update has a even better title.

An Elder Thing - but that would make it too easy for Iceland.

Alespeed - Who knows? I might DOW the UK because I'm so bored. Also I have a query about the contest, but you'll see that in that thread.

Next update real soon.

Part the Fourth - The Bricklayer’s Interlude

You guys have provided excellent commentary and feedback to this AAR. You’ll find my responses to them above.

In these, there seemed to be a general theme regarding literacy and the population. Because of this, I will talk about those two items to begin with (this is totally not a ploy to distract from the continuance of the waiting game).

<Metaphor time>
If Prussia’s Population is like a Brick House, Iceland is like a Brick.

iclaarpost4visualaid.jpg

(an illustration of the metaphor to assist)

</Metaphor time>

Let’s Compare the two populations, circa 1836, the start of the game:

v2232.jpg

v2233.jpg

For those of you who need something more specific, here follows:

Germany Iceland
Farmers 2070000 13125
Labourers 997080 -
Soldiers 87167 -
Craftsmen 10725 -
Slaves - -

Subtotal 3164972 13125

Artisans 290100 750
Bureaucrats 14970 -
Clergymen 33037 100
Clerks 954 -
Officers 3623 -

Subtotal 342684 850

Aristrocrats 44780 -
Capitalists 113 -

Subtotal 44893 -

Total 3552549 13975

Strictly speaking, this metaphor does not carry through (there is only 254.2 Icelands in Prussia, while there is about 9000 -1100 bricks in a house), but one cannot throw a house, while they can brick. Likewise, the brick in itself is breakable and malleable in a manner, while in the house the brick is reinforced by all other bricks which make up the wall. Iceland is a solitary brick, which allows us to handle it differently then we would the house of Prussia (the metaphor makes it more likely that Prussia is a small shed, or maybe a retaining wall of some sort).

With a huge country like Prussia, one needs to affect the country in large way to get anything done. This is why it is suggested in many guides that one begins by placing clergymen in their biggest population, in order to get the most promotions, and this is true in many respects. With Iceland, one finds that they can use these tactics, but in a different way.

I began the game increasing the rate of pop growth and the number of clergymen. These expand the total size of the culture group, and the literacy amount, both of which are desired. Once the literacy is sufficiently high, it will help when I colonize and my literacy drops as I have new, populations with very little population. It will also help with the rate of assimilation. However, the increase rate of literacy is very slow, which while historically accurate as you may have noticed is rather painful to observe. I have only increased a total of 2 and a bit percent in the last 11 years while my population as a whole has increased 6%. The way to encourage the growth in literacy would be via the appropriate tech chain (Social Thought). Unfortunately, this will have to wait until after I have the needed techs for colonization (Machine Guns, Nationalism and Imperialism, and Raider Group Doctrine) have been achieved.

v2231.jpg

Another thing which these small pops allow me to do is to make the state more efficient. I run a country which at the moment does not waste money needlessly to support a population of soldiers, nor does it support craftsmen for what would be inefficient factories. This allows me to make much more money, and not have to fool around with trying to meet the needs of a fully diversified country.

All in all, I hope that Iceland is a good enough Brick for me lay the foundation of an empire on.

(Although it’s really like making the brick nice and shiny, and then placing it in the middle of an unclaimed plot. You hope that everyone else thinks that someone actually has the rights to build on the land.)

If anyone has any thoughts on how Iceland’s position is unique, especially with regards to the population, please respond. Otherwise, please respond anyways. As always, I love the feedback and advice.

Thank you for chapter 4, nice Metaphor here :)

Keep on updating! One more chapter and you are set for the contest!

You had me at the intro chapter, and the countries you turned out to not be playing. ;) But let me jump to the most recent chapter with some feedback; because I also love it, and love dishing it out. For one, your deep philosophical journey into a debate vis a vis the efficiency of a non-centralized non-market economy that focuses primarily on subsistence agriculture appeals to my pastoral roots; indeed, though one could argue that defense is important in the face of Nationalism and Imperialism, one could also argue that a well-honed mind (that goes to the range now and again) is a good exchange for a soldier; especially because they can work elsewhere in the interrim. But, unfortunately I've noticed a flaw in your otherwise masterful logic:

Prussia has kilns, kilns produce bricks, bricks are similar in composition to Iceland, therefore Prussia produces Iceland. To counter this terrifying realization, might I suggest that you build a cement factory if and when it becomes economically feasible? For the purpose of reinforcing the house. Because the house that builds together, stays together. Sorry, out of folky wisdom for the night - it's only 4:09 here but I haven't slept in two days. xD Thanks for playing the waiting game for us. I realize it might be kind of enervating, but it makes for one heck of a fun AAR.

:rofl:

Your shrewd attempts to distract us from the waiting game have been an unmitigated success.

As you get colonies, you won't even need farmers in Iceland! You can just have soldiers, clergy, and bureaucrats. Just enough to oppress people of different races. Until they realize that there are only 2 regiments of soldiers to control 200,000 km sq. and half a million natives.

Your empire will stand forever.

Last edited:
Alexspeed - I'l hopefully post the 5th chapter in a couple of days. Hopefully it will include a fair portion of the rest of the waiting game.

Communitarian - I never though of it that way. Also regardinh your lack of sleep, I quote a good friend "Weak is for the Sleep"

Tommy4ever - It isn't really unmitigated if you noticed :)

BootonFace - W/ just Soldiers, clergy, and bureaucrats, how will I make money? Also No soldiers, as that is what the UK is for. Once I actually have significant colonial territories, then the UK will want to bring me into there sphere.

Earlier it was brought up that it seemed silly that Iceland start w/ 10% Literacy. A quick look around, and apparently in game a Nations Primary Culture starts with a specified amount defined by the history, while any and all secondary cultures get 10%. Because Iceland doesn't start the game as an independent state, Denmark gives the Icelandic people a 10% literacy. I think I'll leave my literacy as it currently is, but if someone wanted me to change the save game and pump it do that it had started at either 80% (Denmark) or 87% (Iceland), the values which the country history says, I would not be completely adverse. This would make the waiting game significantly shorter, but would also make my MIL score even more absurd, as I would get more leadership than I already do. What do you guys think?

I think you should, but that is because I am Anglo-Icelandic-Czech-French Candian, and I do have pride in my part Icelandic heritage. However the whole overpowered MIL score thing might be a problem, but you are only one Island.

Well its your game and AAR, so its ultimatly for you to decide, maybe find a middle way between the 10 and the 80 somewhere. :)

I'm pretty sure that editing the save file is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in this situation. Your slow beginning is enough of a handicap.

I say edit your literacy up to 80% - this is what the Germans begin with and should make your game go a lot faster. As fun as the waiting game is I am looking forward to you bursting forth into Africa, and for that you'll need tech.

Surume, dont keep us too long waiting, the waiting game must have an end i say! :D

A Update would be awesome :)

Sorry, the waiting game was too much for me. This bit took me a fair bit of time, as I kept rage quiting from bankruptcy. Expect an update in a few hours. It will be quite large.

Sorry, the waiting game was too much for me. This bit took me a fair bit of time, as I kept rage quiting from bankruptcy. Expect an update in a few hours. It will be quite large.

I don't know what techs Iceland starts with; but do you have Freedom of Trade? If not, then research it. FoT fills your coffers with mountains of gold. I'm loving the AAR, by the way.

Last edited:
I don't know what techs Iceland starts with; but do you have Freedom of Trade? If not, then research it. FoT fills your coffers with mountains of gold.

Also, steamers, it more than doubles your income when you invent mechanical fishing.

great AAR, I love your writing style - looking forwards to the next update!

Status
Not open for further replies.