• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great!:)

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial
An Alternative History Affair

Chapter 12: Europe is for the Taking!
A Stain Upon Our Pride

Just mere days after the declaration of war against Bavaria, a battle would occur at Nuremburg between nearly 50,000 French troops and about 20,000 Bavarians. For some reason general in charge seemed more arrogant than usual and shortened the cannon barrage. By the end of the day, October 30th, 4,256 French would lay dead for the loss of 6,055 Bavarians. Although victory was obtained, and France could easier absorb the losses, unnecessary lives were cost. These types of losses were expected against a higher tier of opponent, either the British, or Russians, but not the Bavarians!

On November 21st the twin battles of Karlsbad and Aussig would occur within Austrian territory. Russian detachments had been sent to halt the French advance and they would be crushed with mixed results. At Aussig 452 French soldiers would perish against 3,180 Russians; while at Karlsbad 2,959 were lost to 4,498. Russia’s forces were forced to withdraw from Austrian territory, but had inflicted moderate losses; which were to slow down the advance.

The next day, in Bavaria at Augsburg, a stain upon the French nation occurred. A corps of 22,253 soldiers would encounter a Bavarian army of 22,465 soldiers. Most historians would discard the slight numerical advantage of the Bavarian army, since the French army was battle hardened better supplies, and better morale. The outcome would send ripples through-out Europe. After the end of the battle 5,310 soldiers of the French Empire laid dead compared to 2,532 Bavarians. A stain upon the national pride of France had manifested.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the positive comments about this Alternative History Affair, keep them up, even though the writing has been delayed. I hate summers, don't have as much time as I do during the late fall and winter months!

As a little spoiler, in page 2 of the table of contents there is now an "Interlude" section between Chapter 12 and Chapter 13. Enjoy the brief spoiler. The name of the Interlude is a reference to a quote said by Napoleon I. Whoever can find it here and post it first will receive a special prize. Hint: The quote is within the writing (not telling what chapter / update). GOOD LUCK!

Nice to see this is up and running again!

Could this be te quote: “I envy that boy. Glory is waiting there for him; I had to run after Her. I will have been Phillip; he will be Alexander. He only has to extend an arm, and the world is his.”?

Yaaaayyy! The sun never sets on the French Empire. Keep going!

Nice to see this is up and running again!

Could this be te quote: “I envy that boy. Glory is waiting there for him; I had to run after Her. I will have been Phillip; he will be Alexander. He only has to extend an arm, and the world is his.”?

Yep. Now can you guess why the Interlude is named "Eternal Alexander"?

Spoiler removed in edit.

Last edited:
The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

Allies Make Contributions

The rest of 1853 would transpire without much notice, except for the elaborate ceremonies held to honor the reign of Napoleon II on December 2nd. The celebration, dressed in wealth, was missing a certain livelihood. That certain spirit that would raise the mood of all was the Emperor, who while present still wasn’t himself, as he was suffering a cold. Prince Philippe sat at the side of his father and his mother, Empress Sophie. All the invited guests knew with a certainty that within a year their beloved Emperor would be buried.

Early within the year of 1854, at a meeting with the war council, Prince Philippe, who had been running the day to day operations of the war for a little over a year now, suggested further territorial gains against the former ally Bavaria. Such gains would further solidify the French hold on the Confederation of the Rhine, and provide a more stable border once the war was over. While the war in South German states continued, a detachment of 20,000 troops that had been greatly diminished reached Prague and captured the city on March 17th.

Nearly two months after the fall of Prague, an Austrian delegation arrived with an offer for peace; though the delegation was immediately sent packing after Austria’s condition was a return to the status quo. France’s objectives for Austria were crystal clear. The provinces of Galicia were to be annexed by Grand Duchy of Warsaw. If possible, additional territory would be requested from the Italian lands; like Tyrol. However, the possible expansion of the Kingdom of Italy was secondary to the expansion of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw.

Of interesting note, a letter arrived from an expedition to the Dutch East Indies. The expedition; which had not been authorized or even known about in France set off from Madagascar. By the middle of July 1854, the expedition of some 3,000 troops were causing havoc within the Dutch East Indies in the name of Emperor Napoleon II.

Yep. Now can you guess why the Interlude is named "Eternal Alexander"?

I was about to say something related with some statue of an Alexander-the Great-like-Napoleon-II, but that was faaar faar away from the truth, it seems

I just read this AAR today, and i must say it is absolutely brilliant.

Viva L'Empereur! Liberté, égalite, fraternité! Some other slogan!

Wow, quite a lot of reading for one day! Thanks for the new follower!

I was about to say something related with some statue of an Alexander-the Great-like-Napoleon-II, but that was faaar faar away from the truth, it seems

Sadly, partially correct. But, alas, our beloved Prince Imperial is about to take his last breath.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

Cost of Victory​

Following its most recent defeat, the conservative factions within the Prussian Free State revolted and threatened to overthrow the government. On a particular day in June, French observers noted over 25,000 rebels were fighting about 18,000 loyal Prussian troops. A public official, who was secretly financed by Paris, reported that another additional 15,000 rebels were prepared to march to Berlin if the besieging force needed assistance. France, for its part, pledged to allow Prussia sort its affairs out. France’s neutrality in the matter was only assured by the lack of troops that were available.

The troops that were “available” were finishing up their campaign in southern Germania. On August 11th, the Kingdom of Bavaria would see its fortunate of being a former-ally of France stripped. The former kingdom of Baden, former Prussian Sigmaringen and Hesse-Nassu would be transferred to the French Empire. Though there was pressure to absorb the Kingdom of Bavaria into the Empire, such temptations were resisted.

Another such temptation was to acquire Dutch European territory; however such a thought process was overridden. The Netherlands’s holdings in Europe were not necessary to the French war effort at this time. France’s industry did not lack resources from Holland, but rather its colonies in the Caribbean. In the treaty signed September 25th in Paris, the Dutch would cede their Caribbean islands to French subjugation.

In October, the Kingdom of Württemberg would be annexed into the French Empire. With the annexation of Württemberg, the coalition opposing France was effectively reduced to the United Kingdom and the Russian Empire. Britain had greatly increased its defenses of the homeland since the last war; thus an invasion of England was thought suicidal. Plus, if the invasion did work, there would be little benefit. The real jewel of the Empire was India; yet Napoleon II had forbidden additional reinforcements to be sent to the front as they were scarce enough on the Continent.

There was then the question of Russia. All generals, Napoleon II and the heir apparent Prince Philippe opposed another campaign to invade Russia. Although the Empire could muster a grand army, of 800,000, it would not be enough to quell the possible uprisings. What if Austria were to betray the peace treaty? What if Scandinavia – though having French sympathies – were to be lured by incentives by territory in northern Germania by Britain? What if Spain were to be given provoking by Britain? The troops could not be spared; thus no expedition to Russia would occur.

On November 11th, 1854, church bells from the Cathedral of Notre Dame were heard ringing with a tone of sorrow...

The Son of the Emperor
Descendants of Alexander

Chapter 1: Eternal Alexander
Decline​

On November 11th, 1854, the only legitimate son of former Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte I died in his sleep at the palace at Versailles. The death of the former Prince Imperial was a drawn out process, with the first signs appearing in early 1852 when he suffered from pneumonia. The physicians attending to the Emperor ordered bed rest with a heavy dose of sleep, and mental exercise of the mind by reading newspapers, pamphlets and books. The heir apparent, Prince Philippe, just mere months beyond his 16th birthday, brought in the books that his father had read as a child growing up in Vienna.

As the weather turned warmer during the summer of 1852, the Emperor was capable of resuming public activities – though in a limited capacity. The public had grown worried about the lack of appearances by the beloved Emperor. A campaign to soothe the mind of the fragile public was launched with popular Prince Philippe and Prince Joseph. The princes were both handsome young men, with their calm collected voices and masculine presence soothed the nerve of the public. Such a task was quite difficult, as France was in the midst of dealing with a powerful coalition seeking to curb the House of Bonaparte.

An artist's depiction of Emperor Napoleon II joining his father in heaven.​

As late fall approached, the health of the Emperor was again failing. His voice suffered and was reduced to a rasp during meetings with the war council. All public appearances that had been scheduled with the Emperor had been called off if possible, other ranking officials within the regime were found to attend the events. Lacking from attendance of the events was Prince Philippe, who had officially become heir apparent on October 31st, 1853 – before then he was assumed by the press to be the heir.

The physicians that attended to the well being of the Emperor had warned that he would most likely not survive beyond the year as his health was rapidly declining. On November 22nd, 1853 – a piece of devastating news of the battle was relayed via semaphore telegraph to the Emperor. In a decree on November 24th – the Emperor stated that he would fight on through his health problems if his soldiers would weather the suffering and humiliation of a defeat in battle. If by divine inspiration, the health of Emperor Napoleon II returned to good spirits.

Originally a small celebration had been planned on December 2nd, to mark the completion of the 23rd year of reign of the House of Bonaparte since its restoration. With the health of the Emperor rapidly returning, a more elaborate ball was to be held on the day which would officially begin the 24th year of reign. The day of celebration was marked with great joy, but a particular decree signed on the day would forever change France. December 2nd would officially become “Coronation Day”. The essence of the decree stated that regardless of circumstances throughout the country, the Emperor of the French would have to be coronated on December 2nd. If the 42 year old Emperor were to die on a day after celebrating the beginning of his 23 years of successful reign, the Crown Prince Philippe would have to wait 364 days to become Emperor.

Last edited:
A sad day for France; at least the Empire and the Bonaparts live on...

What are your plans for the area east of the Rhine? A new Confederation?

A sad day for France; at least the Empire and the Bonaparts live on...

What are your plans for the area east of the Rhine? A new Confederation?

In game, it is going to be annexed into the Empire. For roleplaying sake, it will be a loose confederation.

The Son of the Emperor
Descendants of Alexander

Chapter 1: Eternal Alexander
Union​

Prince Philippe of the French.​

Emperor Napoleon’s spirit was further raised by the signing of the Treaty of Berlin that ended Franco-Prussian War on May 3rd, 1853. The aged King Frederick Wilhelm IV, who had witnessed the destruction and rise of Prussia under his father Frederick Wilhelm III, is said to have cried at the humiliating blow to the nation’s pride. In the treaty, the ancestral lands of West and East Prussia were given to the new Grand Duchy of Warsaw; which at this time did not control Warsaw. If the loss of sacred land were not enough, the nail was driven into the coffin, as the treaty called for the abdication of Frederick Wilhelm IV in favor for his younger brother Wilhelm I.

Wilhelm I inherited a dire situation. France, whom he had fought against at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, was occupying Prussia. The Kingdom’s territory had shrunk its pre-Napoleonic War size. The course of opposition to France had to be reversed; though such a path greatly anger particular factions within the remaining land. Wilhelm’s intent was to placate France, so Prussia could be given ample time to rearm and rebuild itself before thinking of challenging France.

Princess Louise of Prussia.​

Great personal sacrifice was to be made in the decision to seek the goodwill of France. On July 7th, 1853, it was announced that Princess Louise, the second child and only daughter of King Wilhelm I would marry Prince Philippe. The announcement caused a massive uproar within the Prussian state. The uproar would be quelled by show of force the French occupying troops, with assistance from loyal Prussian troops; though once France left an uprising would occur – as it did in June 1854.

The young Princess Louise, who at the time of the announcement was a mere fifteen years old, would be marrying a man three years her senior. The news of the royal marriage in France caused massive celebration throughout the streets of Paris, Bordeaux, Marsillies, Cherbourg and throughout the palace of Versailles. Though a few critics pointed out that by that by marrying a Germanic woman, the young Prince and heir apparent would find himself in a difficult position when it came to the affairs of Prussia. However, such a situation was countered that, Empress Sophie was of Austrian descent; and that Emperor Napoleon II had no second thoughts or problems of dealing with affairs when Austria was in opposition to France’s position.

The royal marriage was set to occur on November 15th, 1854.

Marrying to a prussian? I'm not sure of whether this will work or not, I keep thinking in OTL Alexandra of Russia (Nicky II's wife), don't ask me why...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.