• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An intriguing alternative history. I can't wait to see how the Prince escapes the clutches of the Hapsburgs - and what they'll do when he does. For that matter, I wonder how the rest of the world will take the return of a Napoleon to the French throne, especially one with so much of his father in him.

What about Louis Napoleon (OTL Napoleon III)? Is he going to figure in the story at all?

An intriguing alternative history. I can't wait to see how the Prince escapes the clutches of the Hapsburgs - and what they'll do when he does. For that matter, I wonder how the rest of the world will take the return of a Napoleon to the French throne, especially one with so much of his father in him.

What about Louis Napoleon (OTL Napoleon III)? Is he going to figure in the story at all?

I've been thinking of how the other Empires will deal with the revival of the House of Bonaparte; and it might simply be the same way they actually dealt with the revival in real life - with Napoleon III coming to power. Napoleon III in OTL will be here, but it is highly unlikely he will actually be Napoleon III.

Petit prince Bonaparte - Je crois en toi!

Hm, my grandmother always spelled prince as prinz, so I'm sure this is wrong. But anyway, this is extremely sad and yet satisfying at the same time. Sadisfying. I am completely pulling for Napolean - Er, Franz, to make a triumphant comeback and shake things up; some good, new-fashioned chaos is just what the world needs. I have no idea what sort of path he'll walk (or indeed, too much of what OTL Prince Imperial would've been like), but already know it'll be interesting to read about.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial
An Alternative History Affair

The Prince Imperial in uniform as Captain of the Austrian Army.​

Prologue: VI

While the Prince Imperial’s military career in Austria was beginning to flourish, after having been recently promoted to the rank of Captain, turmoil in France began to spill over into open revolution; greatly alarming the European powers who sought to keep the balance of power in Europe. On March 18th, 1830, a liberal majority within the Chamber of Deputies made an address known as the Address of the 221, a motion of no confidence against King Charles X. The following day, King Charles X dissolved the parliament and delayed elections for a full two months. On July 25th, Charles X decreed what would become known as the July Ordinances; which suspended the liberty of the press, appointed reactionary ministers, and reduced the number of deputies within the Chamber of Deputies among other infractions.

Instead of quelling the protests of the people, the July Ordinances further inflamed the people into open revolution. Over the next three days from July 26th to July 29th, 1830, the people of Paris rioted against the Bourbon monarchy, and a few Bonapartists clamored for the return of Napoleon’s son, the Prince Imperial from Austria. Metternich at first refused such a notion of returning the son of Napoleon to the throne of France, yet was not completely unwilling to compromise on conditions for the eventual return of the House of Bonaparte.

Charles X soon abdicated his throne, unwilling to become a monarch limited in power and appointed his grandson the ten year old Henri, Duke of Bordeaux to the throne. However the duke was never to serve as king, as he fled with his grandfather to Britain. The cousin of Charles X, Louis Philippe of the House of Orléans was next in line to rule. However ; the cousin was unwilling to rule as a constitional monarch and the search for a suitable monarch continued. Hearing about the unrest in his native land, the Prince Imperial approached his grandfather, Franz I of Austria about returning to France and restoring the House of Bonaparte.

A painting of the Prince Imperial in 1831. The Prince is in his Austrian uniform, with no epaulets on.​

The Emperor and loving grandfather at first refused such a notion – mostly because at this time Metternich still strongly opposed the return of a Bonaparte. However , events would soon begin to change the tide of Europe and the inspirations of the Prince Imperial who had now found the « principal aim of my life must be never to show myself unworthy of my father. » The spell of Napoleon I had become too powerful and nothing could prevail aganist it. Not only had the Prince Imperial found his father’s spirit, in his true heroic stature, he had also found himself through his father.

On a cool October night, with the leaves turning into majestic colors, the Prince Imperial and an entourage of tutors and servants gathered into several ornately decorated carriages and strode off in the ----erly direction of...

In Our Timeline:
  • Metternich would not allow the Prince Imperial to leave Austria.
  • King Charles X did appoint his grandson to the throne, but he never ruled; however Louise Philippe did take over as King until 1848.

Last edited:
He's headed to northern Italy?

Pfft, fools, is it not obvious he is heading to the wondrous island-nation of Madagascar?

Simpletons...

At least Madagascar is bigger than Elba and St Helena!

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

A portrait of the Prince Imperial as a baby, dressed in uniform.​

Chapter 1: Ascension of the Son
Part One

In late October, the entourage of the Prince Imperial reached the lands of his mother in the Duchy of Parma ; where he was greeted with a warm welcome. The Prince Imperial visited the grave of his step-father ; who he had despised in life as he tried influence the Prince away from studies about his father. A friend who was accompanying the Prince Imperial in his carriage noted in his diary that : « If Josephine had been my mother, my father would not have been buried at Saint Helena, and I should not be at Vienna. My mother is kind but weak ; she was not the wife my father deserved. » The friend noted that his mother had born to illegitimate children with his step-father before marriage.

While in the Duchy of Parma, the royal carriage continued to gather supplies and build into the entourage, as his mother Marie-Louise had been convinced to return to France as the Empress Mother. With the preparations in Parma continuing, throughout France a temporary council had been installed by military officers who proclaimed their loyalty to the returning House of Bonaparte. Nicholas Soult, a formal marshal of his father’s campaigns, the minister of war under King Charles X was the de-facto ruler of France until the Prince Imperial returned to France.

Marshal Nicholas Soult, the man keeping order in France until the return of the Prince Imperial.​

The day after leaving Parma, a diplomat was received by Soult from the British government that threatened a new coalition against the House of Bonaparte if France were to threaten the peace and prosperity that had recently settled over Europe. The warning was heeded, but the meaning seemed moot ; as the Austrian government now fully approved the return of a Bonaparte to the throne. In addition, a civil war had recently erupted in the the Kingdom of the Netherlands, with the Belgians declaring their independence. Word was sent to the Prince Imperial of the British diplomatic efforts ; however it was exactly uncertain when the new majesty would hear about the threats from his father’s greatest nemesis.

After a few days on the road from Parma, the Prince Imperial and his entourage which now numbered twenty one carriages arrived at the port of Genoa ; where they were to depart to reach Marseilles, as the Alps were quite dangerous to pass at this time of year. If all was to go according to plan, the Prince Imperial would arrive in Paris the day of the twenty sixth anniversary of the creation of the House of Bonaparte by the coronation of his father as Emperor Napoleon I of the French Empire.

Last edited:
Just curious, but what ideology will France be governed under with Napoleon II? Liberal, seeing as how his father was seen as a champion of freedom and democracy? Reactionary, since the House of Bonaparte was returning to the throne? Or something else?

I would guess a liberal ideology, considering his father's radical views. But France will probably have few political reforms, so that the Emperor is not held back in championing the people by the people.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm thinking about a Liberal type government; since 1) the July Revolution of 1830 was mostly against King Charles X conservative agenda. 2) Napoleon I was more "liberal". This type of liberalism will be a bit more conservative the first few years; as don't want to unrealistically get ahead of ourselves and begin the Seventh Coalition...

That's an interesting question... If you're going to go for Liberal, I think the policies ought not be the generic liberal party ones. Emperor Napoleon was hardly a champion of freedom and democracy, he was an enlightened despot. The most realistic policy mix, IMO, would be: Interventionist, Protectionist, Pluralist, Pro Military, Full Citizenship.

That's an interesting question... If you're going to go for Liberal, I think the policies ought not be the generic liberal party ones. Emperor Napoleon was hardly a champion of freedom and democracy, he was an enlightened despot. The most realistic policy mix, IMO, would be: Interventionist, Protectionist, Pluralist, Pro Military, Full Citizenship.

I was thinking more of Limited Citizenship, but Full Citizenship works.

I know he wasn't, I was just saying that that's how a lot of people viewed him back then.

The Son of the Emperor
Prince Imperial

The Royal Crib of his majesty, the Prince Imperial.​

Chapter 1: Ascension of the Son
Part Two

News began to spread across the cities and towns of France that the son of Napoleon I was returning to rule France. Rumors spread that the his majesty was a bachelor like his father, and would quickly attempt to quelch the thirst for a bride and heir to further legitimize the House of Bonaparte’s claim to the throne of France. However much these rumors spread, they were partially true. The Prince Imperial was no bachelor, he was recently married to a powerful lady he had met at the courts of Vienna.

The relationship that developed first seemed highly unlikely as she was married to a man who seemed to have a full life ahead of him. That very man was Archduke Franz Karl of Austria, second in line for the throne of Austria, and the two had been married since November 4th, 1824. However on a cold winter day, with untypically gusty winds, the Archduke was traveling between Vienna and the Royal Palace when his horses slipped on ice and skidded over onto a frozen lake. Under immense pressure of the weight of four horses and a heavy carriage, the ice shattered in a deafening burst. Just a month had passed since the Archduke and Princess Sophie of Bavaria’s fifth anniversary.

Princess Sophie of Bavaria, daughter of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria.​

Staying within the Royal Palace at Vienna, the grieving widow became well acquainted with the handsome Prince Imperial, who was six years her junior. The Princess was intrigued with his great intelligence and understanding of history ; which quickly lead to a courtship. The courtship quickly received approval of the Prince Imperial’s grandfather Emperor Francis I ; who spoke with King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria and received consent for his daughter to re-marry. On July 13th, 1830, the Prince Imperial and Princess Sophie were married with the blessings of both royal courts.

Though married, the news of the marriage was not public knowledge, nor hardly shared with the members of the royal carriage proceeding from Marsillies to Paris. A confirmation of the marriage was shared to friends and the entourage of the royal carriage a week before the scheduled entrance into Paris. At the same time, it was printed across the newspapers of the country that infact the Prince Imperial was returning with a woman of royal blood, who would be crowned Empress. As soon as the marriage rumor subsided, a rumor about a heir was born.

OTL:
  • Princess Sophie married Archduke Franz Karl on November 4th, 1824. The Archduke did not die five years into marriage.
  • Sophie had two famous children, Franz Joseph (later Emperor Franz Joseph) and Maximilian (later Emperor of Mexico).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.