• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5605)

Captain
Sep 1, 2001
Visit site
As we all know, it's frustrating how often the AI (and sometimes the player) Spheres Mexico, making it impossible to DOW. A relatively simple event could be constructed, which would solve much of the issue.

The event would check if a nation within your sphere held any states which you have CB shields on. If so, it would offer you the option to purchase a single state for a large, but flat (too complicated figuring out a separate price for each one) amount of money. The AI would almost always accept the purchase, but the option would be given to a player, if they were in a sphere to turn it down.

Thus, in game terms, the U.S. could wheedle it's way west at a price after four purchases. The event could be useful in other places as well. For example, if you form Germany, but have yet to grab Danish Schleswig-Holstein, you could do it if you sphere them.

Alternatively, the event could fire for anyone in your sphere who has *non-core* territory. This could make the game quite interesting, as it's highly likely Portugal, Spain, or the Netherlands will end up in someone's sphere, meaning a bloodless (but expensive) way to pick up colonies.

Thoughts?

As we all know, it's frustrating how often the AI (and sometimes the player) Spheres Mexico, making it impossible to DOW. A relatively simple event could be constructed, which would solve much of the issue.

The event would check if a nation within your sphere held any states which you have CB shields on. If so, it would offer you the option to purchase a single state for a large, but flat (too complicated figuring out a separate price for each one) amount of money. The AI would almost always accept the purchase, but the option would be given to a player, if they were in a sphere to turn it down.

Thus, in game terms, the U.S. could wheedle it's way west at a price after four purchases. The event could be useful in other places as well. For example, if you form Germany, but have yet to grab Danish Schleswig-Holstein, you could do it if you sphere them.

Alternatively, the event could fire for anyone in your sphere who has *non-core* territory. This could make the game quite interesting, as it's highly likely Portugal, Spain, or the Netherlands will end up in someone's sphere, meaning a bloodless (but expensive) way to pick up colonies.

Thoughts?

I proposed something like this a while ago, for the US/Mex issue. There's even historical precedent, AFAIK the US offered Mexico money for quite large parts of what would later be the mexican cession (but Mexico declined). And later the Gadsden purchase of course.

However I would not generalize this, there are too many places where for the sphered country a sale would be out of the question - Denmark f.ex. would under no circumstances just sell Schleswig to Prussia. France would never sell Alsace-Lorraine, even if it turned into a has-been nation. Both were integral parts of their nation, and their inhabitants were citizens of the respective nations. Regardless of the fact that some Prussians would have liked to annex the lands.

The default response from the AI would be a firm "no", with -200 influence points deducted just like in the Manifest Destiny event, knocking the country out of the sphere and setting the stage for a war over the territories.

I think it would be a good idea, to write specific events for the handful of cases in the game where this is an issue, and where with some imagination you could have a sensible outcome... the Mexican Cession (leading to a purchase offer), the Schleswig issue (where Prussian demands could lead to an uprising by the German-speaking inhabitants and a war), Alsace-Lorraine if you really want (maybe modeled after the Sudeten crisis?)

Where you have those events, they should make historical sense, not just be a generic "gif me your landz plz" event :)

I think it makes sense to buy cores/ force them off SoI countries, after all, when you say 'jump', SoI countries are supposed to ask 'How high?'

This should be implemented, BUT only like 5% of the cores should be possible to buy. By that I mean that for example US could buy Alaska if Russia is in SoI (dumb example because I bet Alaska doesn't have US core, but that's just example if it had), but there would be some territories like Alsace that the AI wouldn't want to give and instead would declare war on master, that would be a no-infamy war where you for example couldn't call any of your allies to help, neither could the ex-SoI'ed nation could.

Meh I suck at explaining.

OR JUST make it so you could try to force your SoI'ed nation to give cores. Some cores could be set as less important which could be bought, but some cores the AI would be ready to fight for.

This should be implemented, BUT only like 5% of the cores should be possible to buy. By that I mean that for example US could buy Alaska if Russia is in SoI (dumb example because I bet Alaska doesn't have US core, but that's just example if it had), but there would be some territories like Alsace that the AI wouldn't want to give and instead would declare war on master, that would be a no-infamy war where you for example couldn't call any of your allies to help, neither could the ex-SoI'ed nation could.

Meh I suck at explaining.

OR JUST make it so you could try to force your SoI'ed nation to give cores. Some cores could be set as less important which could be bought, but some cores the AI would be ready to fight for.

Nah you explain fine :) I +1 your idea.

Yeah this is a good idea, i also think that to a certain extent, you should be able to nudge a SoI nation in a certain political directions...
in my Russia > Soviet Union game, i've got a few nationed sphered and it annoys me that they're not commies and i'd rather not invade them and release them.

The solution may be a % of primary or accepted culture pops in a state, or outright population (or a combination of the two) are taken into account by the country. For example, Alsace is, say, 40% French and has population of 300k. Thus there is too many people in this state, and not only that, but too many of them are French cultured, so Germany is told where to go by France on that issue. Converely, let's say that California has only 30K pops of which 10% is Mexican. This land is not really of particular importance to Mexico and so they should be willing to sell to the US.

Having said that, other than Mexican Cession, I can't really think of a way in which this would lead to any territorial gain at all. OE reclaiming East of Suez possibly.

# Gain Core event
province_event = {
id = 999999
title = "Ausweitung unserer Interessengebiete!"
desc = "Die Provinz wird nun als Teil unseres Reiches angesehen!"

trigger = {

owner = {
war = no
nationalism_n_imperialism = 1
}

any_neighbor_province= {
not = { controlled_by = THIS }
not = { is_core = THIS }
owner = {
in_sphere = THIS
}
}
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 36

modifier = {
factor = 0.5
is_primary_culture = yes
}

modifier = {
factor = 0.9
is_accepted_culture = yes
}

modifier = {
factor = 100.0
NOT = {
average_militancy = 1
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 2.0
NOT = {
average_militancy = 2
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.8
average_militancy = 3
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.7
average_militancy = 4
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.6
average_militancy = 5
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
average_militancy = 6
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.4
average_militancy = 7
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.3
average_militancy = 8
}
}

option = {
name = "Die Provinz wird nun als Teil unseres Reiches angesehen!"
any_neighbor_province = {
limit = {
not = { is_core = THIS }
owner = { in_sphere = THIS }
}
add_core = THIS
}
}
}

# Gain Core event
province_event = {
id = 999990
title = "Endlich wieder vereint!"
desc = "Nach langem Kampf ist die Bevölkerung der Provinz endlich wieder ein Teil unseres Reiches!"

trigger = {

owner = {
war = no
nationalism_n_imperialism = 1
}

is_core = THIS
owner = {
in_sphere = THIS
}
}
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 36

modifier = {
factor = 0.5
is_primary_culture = yes
}

modifier = {
factor = 0.9
is_accepted_culture = yes
}

modifier = {
factor = 100.0
NOT = {
average_militancy = 1
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 2.0
NOT = {
average_militancy = 2
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.8
average_militancy = 3
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.7
average_militancy = 4
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.6
average_militancy = 5
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
average_militancy = 6
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.4
average_militancy = 7
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.3
average_militancy = 8
}
}

option = {
name = "Willkommen im Reich."
limit = {
is_core = THIS
owner = { in_sphere = THIS }
}
secede_province = THIS
}
}
}

I use those to simulate Diplo Annexation. Feel free to use and modify them.

Diplo Annexation with buying provnices? Never heard of a Country selling CORE Provinces, in my opinion Diplo Annexation is forced not bought.

How do those events work.

First, you may not be at war!
Second, you need Nationalism & Imperialism.

The first one gives you a chance for getting a core on NEIGHBOURING Provinces of your SOI.

Depending on the modifiers it takes 6 to "endless" months to get a core. The SOI needs militancy, if the SOI is doing well, you cant get any cores from it.

The second event gives you a chance to annex NEIGHBOURING provinces of your SOI.

Depending on the modifiers it takes 6 to "endless" months to get a core. The SOI needs militancy, if the SOI is doing well, you cant get any cores from it.

The annexation is exponential. The more neighbouring provinces you have, the faster will be the annexation.

No thank you. It's bad enough that German minors get annexed by the Crown in Gutter event. I would not like another event that makes annexing territories without any effort screwing up my game with any non-GP nation, whether they are your cores or not. It pretty much makes GP's invincible to damage against Non-GP's once they become established. Then you add onto the fact that said GP's can annex said nations at any time?

Might as well rename the game "GP Wars"

I use those to simulate Diplo Annexation. Feel free to use and modify them.

Diplo Annexation with buying provnices? Never heard of a Country selling CORE Provinces, in my opinion Diplo Annexation is forced not bought.

How do those events work.

First, you may not be at war!
Second, you need Nationalism & Imperialism.

The first one gives you a chance for getting a core on NEIGHBOURING Provinces of your SOI.

The second event gives you a chance to annex NEIGHBOURING provinces of your SOI.

The annexation is exponential. The more neighbouring provinces you have, the faster will be the annexation.

So, if you play Sweden and Russia drops from the GP ranks, you can diplo-annex them state by state if they have militancy??? That sounds like one hell of an overpowered event. :eek:o

A militancy of one doesn't seem like a good cut off point between "doing well" and "doing so horribly you gave up territories without a shot".

I think it makes sense to buy cores/ force them off SoI countries, after all, when you say 'jump', SoI countries are supposed to ask 'How high?'

No, they are not. You are thinking of satellites. Nations in your SOI are still politically independent of you.

No, they are not. You are thinking of satellites. Nations in your SOI are still politically independent of you.

This is very true. One could point out that China, Iran, and Afghanistan all were within the spheres of influence of Western Nations, namely the UK. But none of them really liked the position and definitely were not about to ask "how high" if Queen Victoria said "jump".

I believe that this should involve satellites, not SoI members, but only in cases were the satellite is +200 relations with its master and the provinces in question should not be the main culture of the satellite and is the main culture of the master. The GPs are already powerful enough, I think. And as Revshawn pointed out, playing as a German Minor is already short enough of a game when you get auto-annexed with not so much as an event telling you of your impending doom.